DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kirstyt
Wooderson
Wooderson
kirstyt

"First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Empty
PostSubject: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:15 am

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place, & since I'm new I can't post the link but thought you'd all be interested in reading this. It's from Jason Tate's blog on absolutepunk:

Quote :
"And did you wanna drive, without a word in-between … I can understand, you need a minute to breathe."

Been meaning to toss up some thoughts on The Gaslight Anthem's Handwritten sampler. I'll usually wait for the full album for things, because I believe that when an artist creates an album - they do so looking at the entire album as its digested as a whole. For me that's an important aspect to when I first hear something: as the artist intended it. However, when it comes to a band like TGA, arguably my favorite band right now ... sometimes a boy's gotta make sacrifices. Thankfully the songs I've heard are in order on the album track listing (as far as we know).

First, gotta preface this with a few things: The sampler that I got is in stream form, and as you know - that means the quality is lower than what you'll hear on the album. I know this for a fact, because I, like most of you, were tuned to the premiere on Zane's radio show for the single premiere. And the quality that came through that was deeper - richer - and better. The quality of the sampler stream is a little pitchy. I sound like an ungrateful douche - but the truth is I wanted to make sure you knew what I was judging the songs from ... and take that into consideration.

So, how do the new songs sound of one of the most anticipated albums of all year?

Like The Gaslight Anthem. Don't worry.

You've heard the single - probably - and you know that they start things off with a more fast paced number. The second track is more mid/59-Sound/tempo, with a stomping beat and Brian's vocals back down in their regular register. The lyrics are exactly what I was hoping for. The production sounds fucking huge. Brian's themes of love/loss/and the night are pretty prominent. And I'm sensing a theme already for where the album is going to go ... a theme I like.

What the sampler provides is a look into what I think the album is going to shape into ... and what I am getting is that it sounds giant. It's diverse in sound -- while still maintaining a very TGA feel. A part of me wants to hold back on saying that it sounds more "mainstream" and "accessible" because I am afraid people will take that the wrong way. But, to some degree, it's just the truth -- it sounds like the kind of album everyone will love. That the die-hard fans will be able to nod along to and see where the band came from to get here ... (the people that want Sink or Swim part 2 - well, they had to know that wasn't happening) ... it carries the weight of The '59 Sound with a bit more of the force of Elsie.

The band (and Brian, in general) has a catalog of such mammoth proportions that I always feel, with each new release, that we're too close to it ... that we're inside of an era of musical creativity and development that can only truly be appreciated with time. That in 10 years we'll look back and actually understand. Appreciate. And grasp what is taking place. However, in the meantime I get an odd feeling that we are seeing something special here.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks for posting this, Kirsty! Jason linked the article in the Handwritten thread (I think), but it'll be buried there in a day or two, so this was the perfect place to post it. Smile

The last line of that article says it all. This is going to be really special. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kirstyt
Wooderson
Wooderson
kirstyt

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:29 am

Ah I didn't really check to see if it had been posted yet, I'll remember to do that next time!

Reading this has made me even more excited for the album (as if that's possible, I'm counting down the days haha!)

Last edited by kirstyt on Sat May 05, 2012 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:33 am

He is right. I take "mainstream" and "accessible" to mean "watered down version of the band you love." So I hope the way he put it means something else. Also, I never thought they weren't accessible before so I guess I don't even know what he means.

Also I appreciate starting a thread for this. The Handwritten thread has gotten to be too hard to keep up with and is too much theorizing for me. I am happy to read an opinion from someone who has actually heard it Smile (no offense to those enjoying the guessing games)
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:33 am

79 days to go! bounce
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:50 am

Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

80 long days for the US. bounce It's not fair that you guys get the record a day before us! Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
kirstyt
Wooderson
Wooderson
kirstyt

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:56 am

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

80 long days for the US. bounce It's not fair that you guys get the record a day before us! Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad

For once, living in the UK is paying off!
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:57 am

kirstyt wrote:
Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

Haha, you guys also got the NME press event. You Brits are very lucky these days! Razz
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:58 am

kirstyt wrote:
Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

High Five
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 12:00 pm

kirstyt wrote:
Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

Haha, you guys also got the NME press event. You Brits are very lucky these days! Razz

Sometimes it works the other way round though. The Fray released their new album first week of Feb in the US but didn't release it in the UK til first week of March. I seriously wouldn't be able to cope if that happened with Handwritten! geek
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Christophe wrote:
kirstyt wrote:
Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

Sometimes it works the other way round though. The Fray released their new album first week of Feb in the US but didn't release it in the UK til first week of March. I seriously wouldn't be able to cope if that happened with Handwritten! geek

A whole month apart?! That's ridiculous! I think there would be some kind of riot if that happened with Handwritten! Razz
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 12:05 pm

Christophe wrote:
kirstyt wrote:
Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

A whole month apart?! That's ridiculous! I think there would be some kind of riot if that happened with Handwritten! Razz

Yep there would be! I would be straight on a plane to New York just so I could get my hands on the album haha Wink
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
kirstyt wrote:
Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

Yep there would be! I would be straight on a plane to New York just so I could get my hands on the album haha Wink

Now that is dedication! Clap
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
kirstyt wrote:
Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

That's how obsessed I've become Shannon Exclamation
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 12:17 pm

Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
kirstyt wrote:
Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

I feel the same way! I think some kind of asylum needs to be started for all of us crazy people to go to so we can get some help. How will be possibly last 79/80 more days?! Shocked HOW?!
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 12:24 pm

Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
kirstyt wrote:
Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

I feel the same way! I think some kind of asylum needs to be started for all of us crazy people to go to so we can get some help. How will be possibly last 79/80 more days?! Shocked HOW?!

The best thing to do would be to see a special doctor/magician/therapist/hypnotist/wizard to erase from our minds any knowledge of a new Gaslight Anthem album and then go back and have the memories of Handwritten planted back in our heads a week before the album drops. That's all I can think of at the moment affraid Shocked

Lobotomies all round cheers
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
kirstyt wrote:
Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

The best thing to do would be to see a special doctor/magician/therapist/hypnotist/wizard to erase from our minds any knowledge of a new Gaslight Anthem album and then go back and have the memories of Handwritten planted back in our heads a week before the album drops. That's all I can think of at the moment affraid Shocked

That could work! We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz! Razz

Maybe a lobotomy is a good idea! geek
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 12:34 pm

Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
kirstyt wrote:
Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

Haha what time are we setting off? I'll pack my bags geek
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
kirstyt wrote:
Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

Maybe either past quarter to three or past the midnight hour. That way maybe we'll get there in time for breakfast. We'll take Mustang Sally. Wink geek
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:
kirstyt wrote:
Christophe wrote:
79 days to go! bounce

Maybe either past quarter to three or past the midnight hour. That way maybe we'll get there in time for breakfast. We'll take Mustang Sally. Wink geek

Haha sounds like a plan High Five
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Hahaha, everytime I read a newish thread about Handwritten, there's a huge string of comments from Shannon and Christophe. You two are gonna drive yourselves beyond insanity waiting for this album!

In other news, that write up about the album makes me super excited, and the last paragraph makes me super happy. We're in for a treat, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 8:07 pm

stepsandnumbers wrote:
Hahaha, everytime I read a newish thread about Handwritten, there's a huge string of comments from Shannon and Christophe. You two are gonna drive yourselves beyond insanity waiting for this album!

In other news, that write up about the album makes me super excited, and the last paragraph makes me super happy. We're in for a treat, that's for sure.

Tell me about it I'm pretty sure I have gone insane already! affraid And Shannon is a bad influence on me I never used to derail threads with excitement! We should make a new Shannon and Christophe thread so nobody else has to trawl through our overenthusiastic posts haha Wink
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 12:50 am

Christophe wrote:
stepsandnumbers wrote:

Tell me about it I'm pretty sure I have gone insane already! affraid And Shannon is a bad influence on me I never used to derail threads with excitement! We should make a new Shannon and Christophe thread so nobody else has to trawl through our overenthusiastic posts haha Wink

Make the thread, Christophe! You know it's only going to get worse in the next couple of months! Razz

Seriously guys, I don't intend to detail threads and I really am sorry! I just can't contain my excitement sometimes! Embarassedgeek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"   "First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"First Impressions: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Sampler)"
Page 1 of 1