DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love

Go down 
+131
matkins
nebraska
Andy_
plugga
tom.TGA.punk
DeathoftheCool
spork13
gunner
the original gauche
19thirty
nico0493
Breanne
Xanthias
GuitarMike
DiamondSinatra
thomas94
gib786
Zapuda
daria_pepper
SubconsciousRitual
Grant Michael
drifter69
loazis
pleasepassthesoup
bringiton_ty
CluckyB
TheContender
holdsteady82
huckafooter
Raoul_Duke
CapedAvenger
Kosburn59
JacksSmirkingRevenge
EveryWordHandwritten
Chappers
Jerseyrain
punkrox889
PPQ
njguy99
sandinista
sportshack
TGA30
Brother Beck
Emusic
jonnyz83
moreblue
fake_empire
Klown
Prisoner
rsj
scarsrsouvenirs
Afzoomie67
NeverTrustAJunkie
Little Eden
steph
TGAforLIFE
azlisa
jeffrey2
NYYFAN523
danny4690
Camus
YorkDan
mingus
heals
JJW319
charlesepting
bringiton
kirstyt
Ghost
steady now steady now
Casey
StitchesOnTheRadio
bt211
Shrewsbury_Stars
FelixMA
The Angry Johnny Revue
Bea
moconnell23
Harbortown
gking92
RandyMachoManCabbage
40 Miler
White Man In Hammersmith
simo
vamike
YouCanCallMeSally
JonnyisRFC
bakerfall
Jack
songs like a comfort
TheEmptyBones
EveryLittleSecret
DavyGrolton
IAmDisappeared
rumham
HorribleCrowe
Steve70s
Hanswurst
Midnight Rambler
Try Me
TGAFAN25
MKULTRA
EveryRikiHandwritten
snakester
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
SirBrad
IrishNameAndAnInjury
thebiglebowski
Jonnyn8
OldManShoes3
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
Chesser19
Vibes
The M
gtalbott
spgilbert
Labhras
ghosttocoast
riversedge
Yozzy
elliott4296
Holland
ral
DaleCooper
saltandburn1967
Christophe
acousticbandit
brianisbae
A_Regular
rgillies
eagles1139
135 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 33, 34, 35
AuthorMessage
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 7:23 pm

i like the song a lot more than some, i think it would've been cool if they cut out those vocals at the beginning of Desire. leave the hooks to the guitars.

Desire is obviously not as good as Handwritten, but both suffer from some detrimental vocal parts.
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Christophe wrote:
rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Yozzy wrote:
Also Desire is the worst song they've ever written. I just can't stand it. If only they swapped that track for Blue Dahlia, or hey, even removed it completely. That would be nice.

Personally wouldn't say it's the worst song at all. It's in the top half of songs from Handwritten for me. I know I seem to be in the minority but I love Desire.

I agree with you, I don't think it's a bad song.... I don't understand why everyone is jumping all over it... I enjoy the guitar riffs and think it's fun and catchy...

It's simply a fun rock song, Brian also clearly loves it, seeing as he's been playing it a lot at acoustic radio gigs....

I agree completely. It is a fun rock song. It has a romantic, uplifting vibe similar to The Spirit of Jazz and Casanova, Baby. Gaslight records need songs like this as well as the what might be considered 'deeper' songs.

Funny you mention those tracks, Spirit of Jazz and Casanova, Baby. Both are probably in my bottom 5 Gaslight songs!
Haha, maybe it's just not my type of song. Razz
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Desire is a grower I find myself coming back to it a lot more than many of the songs on the album. Anyone else feel me?
Back to top Go down
RickySpanish
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
RickySpanish

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 9:57 pm

Howl is probably my favorite song, overall I think is album is a huge heart breaker, the themes of it are desperate and bargaining. but i really love that.

my bottom song on this album is probably Too Much Blood.

Back to top Go down
gunner
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 6:34 pm

RickySpanish wrote:
Howl is probably my favorite song, overall I think is album is a huge heart breaker, the themes of it are desperate and bargaining. but i really love that.

my bottom song on this album is probably Too Much Blood.

I love the song Handwritten, just hate the intro with the whoa whoas
Back to top Go down
pjk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pjk

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 12:33 pm

It took a few times to listen to it all to get the full experience, but I really like this album. It is tough to compare to others, but Handwritten has quite the collection of superb songs.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 10:09 pm

Still can't get into this album as much as their other stuff. In its own regard, its a pretty good rock album. But it isn't a Gaslight anthem album. It lacks the imagery, catchiness, "this is everything that is right about music" feel of their other stuff. I feel like I could only sing along with half the album. And the when the best part of your band is the shows where everyone is singing along every song because the lyrics are that catchy and relatable, that's a problem. Kill that and you've killed the part of what makes Gaslight Gaslight. So when you compared to the album to could've been its hard not to get disappointed listening to it.

A six song Biloxi Parish EP (side A: Biloxi Parish (original version), 45, Keepsake Side b: Mae, Howl, Blue Dahlia) would've easily been my AOTY. But the only way the whole thing cracks my top five is if I continue to pretend Blue Dahlia isn't a bonus track.

And to be fair, it wasn't as disappointing as Comet or the Vaccines Come of Age...
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 10:18 am

CluckyB wrote:
Still can't get into this album as much as their other stuff. In its own regard, its a pretty good rock album. But it isn't a Gaslight anthem album. It lacks the imagery, catchiness, "this is everything that is right about music" feel of their other stuff. I feel like I could only sing along with half the album. And the when the best part of your band is the shows where everyone is singing along every song because the lyrics are that catchy and relatable, that's a problem. Kill that and you've killed the part of what makes Gaslight Gaslight. So when you compared to the album to could've been its hard not to get disappointed listening to it.

A six song Biloxi Parish EP (side A: Biloxi Parish (original version), 45, Keepsake Side b: Mae, Howl, Blue Dahlia) would've easily been my AOTY. But the only way the whole thing cracks my top five is if I continue to pretend Blue Dahlia isn't a bonus track.

And to be fair, it wasn't as disappointing as Comet or the Vaccines Come of Age...

Blue Dahlia definitely should've been on the album, I'll give you that. But let's please depart this thread and find a Vaccines thread so we can talk about Come Of Age...I thought that was a good record, personally.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 5:24 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
CluckyB wrote:

Blue Dahlia definitely should've been on the album, I'll give you that. But let's please depart this thread and find a Vaccines thread so we can talk about Come Of Age...I thought that was a good record, personally.

Its not a bad record, but I found the later half rather boring. Especially when you compare it to What Did You Expect... which was one of my favorites last year. That was full of upbeat catchy jams. The new one has a few good tunes, but overall just felt a whole lot weaker.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 2:47 am

I think my problem with Handwritten ultimately comes down to the lyrics. I mean, I'm just going through American Slang again and every song's lyrics blow away everything on Handwritten. People say that Handwritten is more "personal and direct" - it's more direct, sure, but can you really listen to We Did it When We Were Young and not see how personal it is? Except he still maintains the poetic side, with gems like "I buried my faith in another plot, where your heart and your claws will not find".

Conversely, I think that some of the production on American Slang could benefit from Brendan O'Brien producing. The title track always seems like it wants to be bigger than it actually sounds.

Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 3:09 am

eagles1139 wrote:
I think my problem with Handwritten ultimately comes down to the lyrics. I mean, I'm just going through American Slang again and every song's lyrics blow away everything on Handwritten. People say that Handwritten is more "personal and direct" - it's more direct, sure, but can you really listen to We Did it When We Were Young and not see how personal it is? Except he still maintains the poetic side, with gems like "I buried my faith in another plot, where your heart and your claws will not find".

I agree almost 100%. I really love this album and I'm fine with how it's more direct. I just hope it's not gonna become a trend with their music. Meaning, I think, of all their albums, American Slang has the best combination of creative wording and clarity. I said a while back that I love Handwritten but I'm hoping the next album isn't Handwritten 2. I'd rather they edge back a bit toward AS without losing what they learned from HW. Having read lyrics to Halloween and Misery, I'm not terribly concerned.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 3:56 am

eagles1139 wrote:

Conversely, I think that some of the production on American Slang could benefit from Brendan O'Brien producing. The title track always seems like it wants to be bigger than it actually sounds.

Overall, AS was a better album than HW, but its not "every song's lyrics blow away everything on Handwritten". Keepsake covers the same themes as American Slang (the song) but does it so much better. Even with gutting the third verse, Biloxi still has some of Brian's best lyrics (Try it on for size my darling see what a man you can make of me). And Mae is as hauntingly beautiful as We Did it when we were young or HLAYK

But yeah, its still overall lyrically worse and more importantly its just so disappointing because its clear Brian can do better (just listen to Blue Dahlia) but instead he wants to do this. And I'd rather have him write the music he really wants to write than the music I want to hear, but at the same time I really wish he wanted to write the music I want to here. Sad

Oh well. There's still the Menzingers. and Half the songs on HW are still awesome so I shouldn't complain
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 4:07 am

CluckyB wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:

Overall, AS was a better album than HW, but its not "every song's lyrics blow away everything on Handwritten". Keepsake covers the same themes as American Slang (the song) but does it so much better. Even with gutting the third verse, Biloxi still has some of Brian's best lyrics (Try it on for size my darling see what a man you can make of me). And Mae is as hauntingly beautiful as We Did it when we were young or HLAYK

But yeah, its still overall lyrically worse and more importantly its just so disappointing because its clear Brian can do better (just listen to Blue Dahlia) but instead he wants to do this. And I'd rather have him write the music he really wants to write than the music I want to hear, but at the same time I really wish he wanted to write the music I want to here. Sad

Oh well. There's still the Menzingers. and Half the songs on HW are still awesome so I shouldn't complain

Yeah I'll rephrase that, I prefer the AS lyrics greatly but it's not every song blows away everything on HW.

I disagree that Keepsake > AS from a lyrics standpoint, but it is better in terms of the power of the vocals...but both great songs so I digress. My problem is more with songs like Mulholland Drive and Desire (which aren't even my least favorite on the album, I can't get into Here Comes My Man anymore). I always think of Brian as a poet and some of those songs don't prove it.

And it's funny that you say that about the Menzingers because I was gonna mention that On the Impossible Past kinda gave me my fill of the great poetic Americana imagery that I come to expect from Gaslight.

Back to top Go down
pjk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pjk

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 7:36 am

eagles1139 wrote:

The more I listen to HW, the more I like it. Was the same with American Slang. Just as of late I've really been liking Howl after I listened to the acoustic version and then listened to the full version 10 times. So good.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 10:50 am

eagles1139 wrote:

Conversely, I think that some of the production on American Slang could benefit from Brendan O'Brien producing. The title track always seems like it wants to be bigger than it actually sounds
Agreed 100% on both points
Back to top Go down
96'sound
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
96'sound

PostSubject: Most Definatly   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 2:11 am

A_Regular wrote:
I'm earjaculating everywhere

HAHA AMEN brother Amen still happening to me everytime i hear it
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:44 pm

I am still obsessed with Handwritten. It's my favorite album ever and these songs describe me and my life more now than they did last July. I really can identify with every single song in some way. Amazing! Smile
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 10:31 pm

Try whistling/humming the end of Handwritten "With this pen, I thee wed, From my heart to your distress" and then the guitar intro to Old White Lincoln.

Pretty similar, no?
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 10:42 pm

The more time that passes, the less I care about HW. At first I considered it the best album, now it's lucky if it stays out of last place. It has some great moments, but it lacks whatever made me fall in love with The Gaslight Anthem.
Back to top Go down
kappanera
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kappanera

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 3:45 am

I read the discussion above about the comparison between HW and AS and I ended up thinking that AS may be their most mature album : they tried lots of different musical directions keeping their own style, and you said already all about the lyrics.
Anyway to stick with the topic HW is a good album,surely not their best (probably their worst but I really like it anyway) and showed clearly what they should do with the next record basing me(I'm pretty shure that's not even engish I hope you get what I mean) on the quality of the songs: stuff like "Mae" is 100 times better than fast and catchy songs like "Desire"; if you add the fact that Halloween is (for me) one of their best songs ever I think they should go in that direction 'cause it's clearly what they are better at nowadays. A sort of mixture between gaslight and crowes.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 6:42 am

guys, handwritten is great, fuck y'all. rocks so hard
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 6:42 am

a man's album
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 1:01 am

I'm kinda sorta really frustrated about how Biloxi Parish's chorus sounds. Man, that HQ live version that's been out has so much grit and awesomeness, the album version's vocals sounds so sugar-coated in comparison. This pisses me off more than the whole "bridge vs. third verse" debate, which I could take either side of.

Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 2:34 am

well i think Biloxi's chorus sounds awesome. one of the best moments on the album, and certainly Brendan O'Brien's shining moment.

the rest of the song sounds great too, notably Brian's opening chords.

but i can understand one preferring some old fashioned Gaslight grit to the big production on the album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 35 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love
Page 35 of 35Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 33, 34, 35