DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?

Go down 
+24
Klown
Jerseyrain
riversedge
plugga
_rebekka_
NeverTrustAJunkie
saltandburn1967
CluckyB
JJW319
steph
Camus
MKULTRA
nico0493
bringiton
StitchesOnTheRadio
loazis
simo
colmillionaire
LuceroDiehard
Daire
ghosttocoast
DeathoftheCool
Labhras
AGoodTime
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:08 pm

AGoodTime wrote:

Brian's lyrics often explore how loss and suffering effects a person. How different people react to emotional pain. Why he reacted as he did and how people's background effect their ability to cope. How relationships effect a person and why you need relationships. He also looks into the economy and stability and life in America but he always links it back to everyday life. To normal people. Frank Turner seems to be mostly politics and the overview of life. He rarely explores things to do with the individual but more looks at the effect on society as whole.
No.

Just no.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:21 pm

Klown wrote:
Camus wrote:
Fangirl verging on stalker... Razz

you try to make it sound like a bad thing Razz

I know, right? FRANK LOVES ME AND THAT'S IT OKAY.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 3:31 pm

loazis wrote:
AGoodTime wrote:

Brian's lyrics often explore how loss and suffering effects a person. How different people react to emotional pain. Why he reacted as he did and how people's background effect their ability to cope. How relationships effect a person and why you need relationships. He also looks into the economy and stability and life in America but he always links it back to everyday life. To normal people. Frank Turner seems to be mostly politics and the overview of life. He rarely explores things to do with the individual but more looks at the effect on society as whole.
No.

Just no.

Yeah-what? When did Brian look into the economy and stability of American life?

Can people in general stop making sweeping generalizations like this? Provide specific examples at least. As a teacher would say- show your work!

Also remember you're having a discussion with people who are actually familiar with his entire catalog. Turner rarely explores things to do with the individual?? Please go read this whole page before you make such statements: http://frank-turner.com/blog/lyrics/

I think people mistake Frank's confidence in what he believes and says for arrogance. Well, too bad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 3:35 pm

can I just lock this thread??

Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 3:37 pm

You're the admin, your call.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 3:37 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:

LOL!

I trust your judgement Wink
Back to top Go down
AGoodTime
A Contender
A Contender
AGoodTime

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 3:49 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:

LOL!

I trust your judgement Wink

Please do! It's filling my e-mail with notifications and isn't answering any of my questions!
Back to top Go down
AGoodTime
A Contender
A Contender
AGoodTime

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 3:52 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
loazis wrote:
AGoodTime wrote:

No.

Just no.

Yeah-what? When did Brian look into the economy and stability of American life?

Can people in general stop making sweeping generalizations like this? Provide specific examples at least. As a teacher would say- show your work!

Also remember you're having a discussion with people who are actually familiar with his entire catalog. Turner rarely explores things to do with the individual?? Please go read this whole page before you make such statements: http://frank-turner.com/blog/lyrics/

I think people mistake Frank's confidence in what he believes and says for arrogance. Well, too bad.

AMERICAN SLANG!

"And we called for our fathers but our fathers had died."

"Fathers" represents security and safety. The relationship that Brian describes in that song is a metaphor for the economy in America, inspired by John Steinbeck. In that line he says that when people reached out for the usual support, the government, it was gone. It had died and along with it the sense of security which a father or mother is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 3:59 pm

dude maybe you are just too young to understand the brilliance behind Frank Turner...it's okay.

You'll get it one day....it might take a while but you will get it one day.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 3:59 pm

[quote="AGoodTime"][quote="NeverTrustAJunkie"][quote="loazis"]
AGoodTime wrote:

AMERICAN SLANG!

"Fathers" represents security and safety. The relationship that Brian describes in that song is a metaphor for the economy in America, inspired by John Steinbeck. In that line he says that when people reached out for the usual support, the government, it was gone. It had died and along with it the sense of security which a father or mother is.

Um, that may be your interpretation but I think it's pretty weak. You're certainly not in a position to make such authoritative prouncements (unless you're Brian). Wait . . . Brian?

By the way, I can see how some people could dislike Frank but you just don't know what you're talking about with respect to his lyrics.
Back to top Go down
AGoodTime
A Contender
A Contender
AGoodTime

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 4:07 pm

[quote="Shrewsbury_Stars"][quote="AGoodTime"][quote="NeverTrustAJunkie"]
loazis wrote:
AGoodTime wrote:

AMERICAN SLANG!

Um, that may be your interpretation but I think it's pretty weak. You're certainly not in a position to make such authoritative prouncements (unless you're Brian). Wait . . . Brian?

Hahaha, I wish! I had a small chat with Brian about Steinbeck and Shakespeare. (I'm an exciting person...) He said that he didn't think things had changed much and that that features in his songs. I said I have no idea because I'm 16. He laughed and carried on. The next person he was talking to asked about American Slang and he kept looking back at me as he spoke about it. When I heard the song, that's what I heard. And that's what makes sense to me.

Also, I couldn't be bothered to type 'my interpretation' and that story mainly because I couldn't spell interpretation, so thank you for teaching me something new today.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 4:11 pm

[quote="AGoodTime"][quote="Shrewsbury_Stars"][quote="AGoodTime"]
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
loazis wrote:
AGoodTime wrote:

AMERICAN SLANG!

Hahaha, I wish! I had a small chat with Brian about Steinbeck and Shakespeare. (I'm an exciting person...) He said that he didn't think things had changed much and that that features in his songs. I said I have no idea because I'm 16. He laughed and carried on. The next person he was talking to asked about American Slang and he kept looking back at me as he spoke about it. When I heard the song, that's what I heard. And that's what makes sense to me.

Also, I couldn't be bothered to type 'my interpretation' and that story mainly because I couldn't spell interpretation, so thank you for teaching me something new today.

No problem bud! Ha!
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm not trying to be bitchy, but really the reason I like Frank is precisely because he talks about the things you say he doesn't. I mean off the top of my head- Worse Things Happen At Sea, Reasons Not To Be An Idiot, Substitute... it just sounded like you heard one or two songs where he probably is talking about politics and judged his whole song history on those few songs.
Back to top Go down
AGoodTime
A Contender
A Contender
AGoodTime

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 4:25 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I'm not trying to be bitchy, but really the reason I like Frank is precisely because he talks about the things you say he doesn't. I mean off the top of my head- Worse Things Happen At Sea, Reasons Not To Be An Idiot, Substitute... it just sounded like you heard one or two songs where he probably is talking about politics and judged his whole song history on those few songs.

After a fun dinner of "Life is about love, last minutes and lost moments..." He does sing about relationships and I missed that off the list.

I still don't get where the strong ties/similarities to Gaslight are... That's what I really want to know!
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 4:43 pm

AGoodTime wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

After a fun dinner of "Life is about love, last minutes and lost moments..." He does sing about relationships and I missed that off the list.

I still don't get where the strong ties/similarities to Gaslight are... That's what I really want to know!

To Take You Home being an excellent story of a relationship

With Gaslight - it comes back to the songwriting, ethos, and rock n' roll beliefs. Similar influences and taste in music, similar touring, friends in bands, etc.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 5:08 pm

[quote="AGoodTime"][quote="Shrewsbury_Stars"][quote="AGoodTime"]
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
loazis wrote:
AGoodTime wrote:

AMERICAN SLANG!

Haha, I'd love to have been apart of that chat! Also I never thought of it that way but your interpretation makes perfect sense. I would expand on the security and safety thing and lean more toward guidance. Like the generations before you are supposed to show you the way. Or you could consider it a reference to our founding fathers. But that's all speculation.

Also regarding the other quote, it'd be hilarious if Brian was actually on here under an alias. He should do that. Just sign up one day as like a random teenage girl and then post on here just to mess with us and then at the end of the day disappear again.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 5:11 pm

AGoodTime wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

Well for me I wasn't into him until I saw him open for Gaslight. So that's my Frank-Gaslight connection. He won me over with a very sincere and great performance at the Stone Pony in 2010.

https://youtu.be/0J7FkVMPHfg I only got a little bit of video from that night, but even this short clip just makes me all happy inside.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 5:20 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

Well for me I wasn't into him until I saw him open for Gaslight. So that's my Frank-Gaslight connection. He won me over with a very sincere and great performance at the Stone Pony in 2010.

https://youtu.be/0J7FkVMPHfg I only got a little bit of video from that night, but even this short clip just makes me all happy inside.

Hey I was there and yeah he won me over at that show with "I Still Believe".
Back to top Go down
ghosttocoast
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
ghosttocoast

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 5:23 pm

[quote="StitchesOnTheRadio"][quote="AGoodTime"][quote="Shrewsbury_Stars"][quote="AGoodTime"][quote="NeverTrustAJunkie"][quote="loazis"]
AGoodTime wrote:

Also regarding the other quote, it'd be hilarious if Brian was actually on here under an alias. He should do that. Just sign up one day as like a random teenage girl and then post on here just to mess with us and then at the end of the day disappear again.

I bet that's where all of the Ian hate came from now, just so he could establish himself as the 2nd best guitarist in Gaslight. Laughing Wink
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 5:25 pm

Yes! Exactly the same. "I Still Believe" spoke to me! haha

I can be really snobby about music sometimes and so even though I had a heads up about Frank before this show, I didn't really get him or see the appeal until I saw him in person. He was so good with that crowd, who weren't even his and probably had never heard of him, that I was impressed. I taped that clip just to show a friend who had alerted me of Frank's existence so he could see how the show went. Of all song clips to get, I'm glad I got that one because it's now one of my favorite songs. Plus that sunset behind Frank was AMAZING. It was even more purple-y pink than the video shows.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 7:05 pm

You don't have to like frank turner just because he's friend with gaslight, he has a totally different approach to songwriting, give him another try maybe because he is really ridiculously good. His live shows are just amazing.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 7:14 pm

AGoodTime wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

they both make honest music and they are both ridiculously awesome
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 12:10 am

AGoodTime wrote:

AMERICAN SLANG!

lolwut. Do you actually seriously think that's what the song is about? Despite Brian stating multiple times that as a band they try and distance themselves from making political statements because they all believe different things?

Nice job with the trolling. High Five
Back to top Go down
vamike
Wooderson
Wooderson
vamike

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 7:34 am

AGoodTime wrote:
As in, I can't stand him. His music is annoying. From a poetic/language point of view his lyrics are crap (in my opinion). And he seems really arrogant (again going by his lyrics).

My sister is 'madly' in love with him and walks round playing him out loud on her iPod singing along so I've heard plenty of his music. I just don't see the appeal.

I don't get it, confused almost every other Gaslight/Horrible Crowes fan I've met seems to love him. His topic thingy on here has more posts then any of the other ones. Can anyone explain why liking one seems to usually mean liking the other?

I have seen him a couple of times and everytime, the first time like 3 people knew him and the last concert I saw was sold out, he seemed like appreciating every single person coming to his show. At the sold out show I talked to him and he seemed very nice.

he even sent me an email for my birthday 2 years ago (turned out my GF told him the date of my birthday)

for the music, I don't like every song but like 3/4 of his material is pretty solid and diverse
Back to top Go down
AGoodTime
A Contender
A Contender
AGoodTime

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 8:10 am

CluckyB wrote:
AGoodTime wrote:

AMERICAN SLANG!

lolwut. Do you actually seriously think that's what the song is about? Despite Brian stating multiple times that as a band they try and distance themselves from making political statements because they all believe different things?

Nice job with the trolling. High Five

I'll change government to the economy, (crashed -> died.) and hell yes. That's no so political as speaking to the normal person about their struggles in their everyday life. Which Brian says he does and it is his dream to be able to properly do. (I'll edit in a quote when I find it.)

"I want to write lyrics for people who don't have a voice and talk about things that people can't get out there and make public. We have a recession going on here and there are things people can't talk about, like health insurance, the struggle to feed your family and keep your job. I want to write songs that make people think 'Yeah, I can make it through another day'."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next