DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?

Go down 
+24
Klown
Jerseyrain
riversedge
plugga
_rebekka_
NeverTrustAJunkie
saltandburn1967
CluckyB
JJW319
steph
Camus
MKULTRA
nico0493
bringiton
StitchesOnTheRadio
loazis
simo
colmillionaire
LuceroDiehard
Daire
ghosttocoast
DeathoftheCool
Labhras
AGoodTime
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 10:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDuT-doCKLQ - "I Knew Prufrock" from Reading

how can you not like this?

Last edited by WingsForWheels on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 10:44 pm

or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Aa4TdWy7lxQ coolest performance of "Ballad of Me and My Friends"
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 10:47 pm

Just keep the Frank videos coming! I'm loving this.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 11:31 pm

i'm waiting for someone to start the "Am I the only Gaslight fan who doesn't love Bruce" thread.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 11:59 pm

Surely not everyone is gonna like the same musicians..

...but...Frank did bring Mama Turner on stage for a Harmonica solo at Wembley!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv33WT8JAVE
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:09 am

If you're looking for nice poetic lyrics, AGoodTime, check out the words to I Am Disappeared for sure.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:11 am

AGoodTime wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
his lyrics are very different from Brian's style, but I really like them.

I find that it just sounds as if he's written a massive rant out, picked up a guitar and sang it. Same as if he had picked up any random novel. (Not Dickens. Dickens can be sung. Dickens took a lot of care with syllables.) I don't get the depth or emotion that I always think has to be there with good music. It just doesn't work for me!

A lot of his music is a "massive rant" but that's part of the joy. Not sure how you can say there is no depth or emotion. Sure the lyrics aren't super deep but neither are gaslight's. And how can you claim there is no emotion after listening to something like Prufrock, Long Live the Queen, Love Ire and Song, Try This at Home, The Road, Peggy Sang the Blues, I Still Believe, I am Disappear... I could keep going...

will probably piss some people off saying this, but I think I found your problem right here:

Quote :
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:15 am

CluckyB wrote:
AGoodTime wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:

I find that it just sounds as if he's written a massive rant out, picked up a guitar and sang it. Same as if he had picked up any random novel. (Not Dickens. Dickens can be sung. Dickens took a lot of care with syllables.) I don't get the depth or emotion that I always think has to be there with good music. It just doesn't work for me!

A lot of his music is a "massive rant" but that's part of the joy. Not sure how you can say there is no depth or emotion. Sure the lyrics aren't super deep but neither are gaslight's. And how can you claim there is no emotion after listening to something like Prufrock, Long Live the Queen, Love Ire and Song, Try This at Home, The Road, Peggy Sang the Blues, I Still Believe, I am Disappear... I could keep going...

will probably piss some people off saying this, but I think I found your problem right here:

Quote :

I mean, that's probably the main thing is finding something to relate to with any music. I can see how Gaslight appeals to teenagers like myself with their vivid, romantic songs, and I think frank's music deals with issues that may be a little more direct and adult. I enjoy frank's music, but it's not as easy for me to connect with these issues he's talking about that are from a more ripe perspective compared to gaslight.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:16 am

bobbyw24 wrote:
Ha--I often wanted to start a thread entiteld: "Am I the only Gaslight Fan who is severely underwhelmed Fake Problems""?

Not liking Fakey Ps I can understand. While they share a lot of the same fans, and a part of the same 'community', they are a very different band from Gaslight. Chris writes pretty good songs, but I don't think anyone (even Chris himself) would claim they are at the same level of Brian's. (Well, Brian probably would. but no one else Smile )

But Turner, alongside Lucero and THS are the three bands I really get surprised anytime I hear a Gaslight fan dislikes. I'm like "wait what do you like about Gaslight because everything to love about them is in these three bands here". Its the same kind of no frills, "I just wrote it down, I wrapped a couple chords around it and I let it come out" lyrics that come right from the heart and so also go right too the heart.

Quote :
I mean, that's probably the main thing is finding something to relate to with any music. I can see how Gaslight appeals to teenagers like myself with their vivid, romantic songs, and I think frank's music deals with issues that may be a little more direct and adult. I enjoy frank's music, but it's not as easy for me to connect with these issues he's talking about that are from a more ripe perspective compared to gaslight.

You very likely could be right. I think the new album might be a little more accessible, but if you don't listen to Love Ire & Song and go "This is possibly the most relatable song ever written" I can get why you wouldn't like Turner as much.
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:24 am

I am pretty much in love with Gaslight Anthem.....and I have tried getting into Frank Turner but for some reason I can't get into him. I just don't relate to him at all and don't really like the style of music. With The Gaslight Anthem I can relate to about 99 percent of the lyrics. Maybe one day I will give Turner another shot but at this point I don't really see the big deal with him.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 2:25 am

steph wrote:

i'm waiting for someone to start the "Am I the only Gaslight fan who doesn't love Bruce" thread.

I'm waiting for Ilaria to punch this thread in the face.
Back to top Go down
_rebekka_
A Contender
A Contender
_rebekka_

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 4:50 am

Well I'm a huge Frank Turner fan, I love his music, his lyrics, his shows are some of the best shows I have seen so far and after meeting him a couple of times I can say he is a truely nice guy. But I dont want to defend him here. Music is a matter of taste and tastes are different, which is a good thing cause otherwise the world would be very boring. So I think it is totally ok that someone doesnt like Franks music. And I dont think that just cause you are a Gaslight fan you automatically like Frank. What irritates me a little is making comments about Franks personality and the word "hate". For me hate is a very strong word which I rarely use. There is much music I do not like but I just ignore it then and dont spend time talking about it.

I also do think that age could be a reason, definitely when it comes to lyrics. Frank is the same generation as I am so I can very often relate to his lyrics.

But I must admit I love that so many Gaslight fans love Frank too! Smile For me its always great to meet people who love the same music and love going to concerts. Most of my friends didnt discover Franks awesomeness yet so i'm always happy to find someone who understands me. Wink
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 6:24 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
steph wrote:

I'm waiting for Ilaria to punch this thread in the face.

MUST CONTROL MYSELF

also yeah i read someone has already said it but frank is really the least arrogant human being in the universe, i get that you may not be into his music but the man is incredible!
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 6:47 am

i hear frank turner punches babies
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 7:56 am

I do too
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 7:56 am

Poetry doesn't have to be about girls and the summer though. You can find poetry in a town full of abandoned houses. Frank captures what thing's like friendship and passion for music is about.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 7:59 am

And to be honest, as much as I love Brian's lyrics... some of Matt Berningers from The National exceed them
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 8:33 am

AGoodTime wrote:
As in, I can't stand him. His music is annoying. From a poetic/language point of view his lyrics are crap (in my opinion). And he seems really arrogant (again going by his lyrics).

My sister is 'madly' in love with him and walks round playing him out loud on her iPod singing along so I've heard plenty of his music. I just don't see the appeal.

I don't get it, confused almost every other Gaslight/Horrible Crowes fan I've met seems to love him. His topic thingy on here has more posts then any of the other ones. Can anyone explain why liking one seems to usually mean liking the other?

I think too many people on here feel like they have to like certain other bands just because they are associated in some way, or run in the same circles with Gaslight. At least you're not following the crowd as like you say; most Gaslight fans seem to love Frank. I think hate is a strong word though considering you don't seem to know too much about him. I'll admit I just 'like' Frank Turner. I dont love his stuff but I dont dislike it either, I have only a couple albums. I think the songs that I relate to most are songs about England such as Wessex Boy and Rivers. I think its refreshing for the guy to be writing folky songs about England and its countryside and where he's from. I dont know many English artists or bands that actually write about England. Bands like this that I do know just write very general stuff thats difficult to relate to. Theres my two cents

Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
AGoodTime
A Contender
A Contender
AGoodTime

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 8:47 am

Jerseyrain wrote:
AGoodTime wrote:
As in, I can't stand him. His music is annoying. From a poetic/language point of view his lyrics are crap (in my opinion). And he seems really arrogant (again going by his lyrics).

My sister is 'madly' in love with him and walks round playing him out loud on her iPod singing along so I've heard plenty of his music. I just don't see the appeal.

I don't get it, confused almost every other Gaslight/Horrible Crowes fan I've met seems to love him. His topic thingy on here has more posts then any of the other ones. Can anyone explain why liking one seems to usually mean liking the other?

I think too many people on here feel like they have to like certain other bands just because they are associated in some way, or run in the same circles with Gaslight. At least you're not following the crowd as like you say; most Gaslight fans seem to love Frank. I think hate is a strong word though considering you don't seem to know too much about him. I'll admit I just 'like' Frank Turner. I dont love his stuff but I dont dislike it either, I have only a couple albums. I think the songs that I relate to most are songs about England such as Wessex Boy and Rivers. I think its refreshing for the guy to be writing folky songs about England and its countryside and where he's from. I dont know many English artists or bands that actually write about England. Bands like this that I do know just write very general stuff thats difficult to relate to. Theres my two cents

'Hate' refers to his music not him personally.

My actual question was I don't understand the links between them. Why one usually means the other.

Brian's voice is soft and almost loving to hear yet can go rough and harsh when needed. Frank Turner's (not meant in a bad way. Just can't think of any other word:) is more clumsy.

Brian's lyrics often explore how loss and suffering effects a person. How different people react to emotional pain. Why he reacted as he did and how people's background effect their ability to cope. How relationships effect a person and why you need relationships. He also looks into the economy and stability and life in America but he always links it back to everyday life. To normal people. Frank Turner seems to be mostly politics and the overview of life. He rarely explores things to do with the individual but more looks at the effect on society as whole.

Frank Turner's music is also often acoustic, from what I've heard, where as Brian's with both the Horrible Crowes and The Gaslight Anthem is rarely so. Usually just one song in each album.

Also, one last more controversial point: They come from COMPLETELY different backgrounds which you can hear in their music. Brian's from lower-class America where as Frank Turner is from Middle/upper class England. That can be heard in their music and what their views/opinions are.

They differ in so many ways that I struggle to find many links between them. Let alone enough to suggest why most Gaslight fans also like Frank Turner. I posted this, not to offend Frank Turner fans, but so that someone can hopefully explain this to me.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 10:57 am

*takes Ilaria's hand and leaves*

This thread is not for us.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 11:05 am

plugga wrote:
I do too
so that's why you like him!
Back to top Go down
AGoodTime
A Contender
A Contender
AGoodTime

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 11:52 am

CluckyB wrote:
AGoodTime wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:

Quote :

I don't see the problem with my age! I'm reasonably intelligent, at least compared to most people in my year at school. I find language fascinating. I have far more awareness then most my age (mainly referring to gay rights and genocides during the 80s). I've got a larger burden then most my age. (Bone disease, probably gunna die early from cancer Very Happy ) Also it's not so much the romantic side to Gaslight's songs that I love but the way in which Brian does explore so many different subjects in one song and how he explains my suffering and that of so many others without really intending to. Brian creates escapes, reasons and stories. That's one of the things I love.

Reading 'I am Disappeared' as someone recommended was quite strange. Seriously, I'd love to be able to enjoy Frank Turner, mainly because it would mean that I'd get to go to more gigs and probably meet him. (Bone disease again). It obviously isn't one of the songs my sister sings as it did actually effect me in some ways. His use of urban style language was quite enjoyable and effective. ("And these rivers
Of tarmac") although some of the imagery and poetic devices seemed a little cliched ("We are blood cells/Alive in/ The blood stream") but no more so than that used by people such as Simon Armitage or Brian.

I didn't intend to start any serious arguments with this post. Sorry if anyone's offended. I was just curious to why one leads to the other when I can't see the likeness. And I was genuinely starting to wonder if I was in fact the only Gaslight fan who doesn't like him.
Also, using the word 'hate' to describe my feelings towards his music basically means that if he came on the radio I would immediately switch channel. Bands I dislike, such as (can't think of a good example) The Maccabees, I can stand it when my sister plays them but I find it irritating.

Last edited by AGoodTime on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:01 pm

Just to make things clear, i am not in any way offended, lorraine was joking because i'm the head fangirl here Razz
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:03 pm

Fangirl verging on stalker... Razz
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:04 pm

Camus wrote:
Fangirl verging on stalker... Razz

you try to make it sound like a bad thing Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?    I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I've gotta ask: Am I one of the few Gaslight fans who hates Frank Turner?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next