DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]

Go down 
+48
gaslightom
kuruptlon
Kosburn59
Grant Michael
ThisMachineKillsFascists
Kobelev
LuceroDiehard
Templeton
nebraska
Ghost To Coast
CokaCola1988
Gaslight23
Prisoner
RobertODonnell
carryon820
loazis
mercyandaminute
brucesboots
The Boxer
acousticbandit
mingus
Shrewsbury_Stars
vamike
Sinngh
plugga
theBasemen
Silver
Reinvent good times
enola
bobbyjames
Christophe
Vibes
Daire
StopAndSlideToTheRight
Zeebs07
amberfoyd
NeverTrustAJunkie
Down by the Mersey
IFeelBlue
Bea
Jay
simo
CluckyB
IKeeptheDiner
fullcollapse
JJW319
Holland
steady now steady now
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 1:51 am

CluckyB wrote:
Quote :
if Tom Waits, the National, the Afghan Whigs, Bon Iver, and Nick Cave made a band with Percy Sledge that'd be _____________

The proper fill in to that blank is not "called the Horrible Crowes" it is "the greatest thing of music ever".

Can't wait. Suddenly looking forward to this more than I was looking forward to American Slang.

I'm honestly thinking "eh, no new Gaslight for another year, I'll live" because THIS sounds unbelievable. I am so excited for this. I mean, seriously: "We might do a few shows with the Crowes, maybe select cities in the US, Can, and Europe/UK, but not major touring like Gaslight does"...... I will cease to exist if I see this. It will just obliterate me.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 1:58 am

fullcollapse wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
Quote :
if Tom Waits, the National, the Afghan Whigs, Bon Iver, and Nick Cave made a band with Percy Sledge that'd be _____________

The proper fill in to that blank is not "called the Horrible Crowes" it is "the greatest thing of music ever".

Can't wait. Suddenly looking forward to this more than I was looking forward to American Slang.

I'm honestly thinking "eh, no new Gaslight for another year, I'll live" because THIS sounds unbelievable. I am so excited for this. I mean, seriously: "We might do a few shows with the Crowes, maybe select cities in the US, Can, and Europe/UK, but not major touring like Gaslight does"...... I will cease to exist if I see this. It will just obliterate me.

Yeah. Especially if its looking like a "Not many of these things" tour I might consider traveling long distances to see it. Smile
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 2:00 am

This year is going to do baaaaad things to me. Trekking to see them at Bamboozle will already cost a couple month's rent; if THIS happens, I'm screwed. So screwed. I can't say that I really care, though. I'm not gonna live forever so I might as well get my money's worth.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 4:12 am

I love that you guys are on top of everything! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 4:18 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I love that you guys are on top of everything! Very Happy

Oh, don't encourage it, it's really not healthy Razz
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 5:49 am

In case it's not obvious from this thread alone, Brian has now posted about this at length on his blog.

http://cassettesinthemailbox.blogspot.com/2011/01/its-always-about-ahem-birds.html

Thursday, January 20, 2011

It's always about the, ahem, Birds.

Ok, so Absolute Punk found me out, I was keeping this a secret just doing the back room legwork getting everything ready, well, why wait... I remember I used to have to set myself on fire to get somebody to find out about my band, either that or play with Bruce Springsteen! (wink) so I'm pumped people care enough to find out before I even told anybody outside my little circle. So thanks for caring about what I'm up to, I appreciate that a lot.

Anyway, so here's the deal... the "night time music" is myself and Mr. Ian Perkins, and what we're doing is writing songs and making demos at the very moment. We hope to put out a full length record sometime this year, before it gets cold again, I don't know with whom, or when exactly it will come out. But the point is, it's coming out. We're calling ourselves The Horrible Crowes.
The name comes from a poem called the Twa Corbies, which means, "two crows." Check it out,
it's a dark commentary on life. A knight dies, his woman runs off on him, and two crows sit by discussing how to devour his remains... pretty gross. Pretty accurate about how we struggle all our lives for gain and greed, etc, etc and in the end, to quote Tom Waits, "we're all gonna be just dirt in the ground," while the spirit moves on and can't take a bit of the material with it.
Yet I've found we all do this, and mainly in relationships, we end up the devourer or the devoured. That's what we're singing about, it's the darker side of soul music, it's slow, it slithers, and it's raw. At the same time, the melodies and pianos are a juxtaposition to the topic material because it's eerily soothing. I'm really proud of what's been coming out and we'll see how it goes, but it's in the works and it's heading for an actual record.
Now how's this going to work with Gaslight, well it's easy, see, every time I write a creepy Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Mark Laneghan type song, I get an idea for a ripper which goes straight to Gaslight. So we're writing for both now, but Gaslight isn't planning on recording until the fall, for a 2012 release. Now I can't sit still so I'm doing this for fun, nothing more. We might do a few shows with the Crowes, maybe select cities in the US, Can, and Europe/UK, but not major touring like Gaslight does. This is my "for me" record, Gaslight is my baby, no mistake.
I always said I never would do a "solo" record so that's why I found a partner in crime in Ian. So it's not going to be the acoustic Brian Fallon road show. There's organs, pianos, even (gasp) strings!!! There's drums, everything. So don't expect a folk record. Here's a good description, if Tom Waits, the National, the Afghan Whigs, Bon Iver, and Nick Cave made a band with Percy Sledge that'd be called The Horrible Crowes.

You can find us on Facebook, and we have a blog that will eek out little bits as we progress and serve as a news point, so all breaking news with come from The Horrible Crowes blog.
Now for you cynics, it's spelled "Crowes" because Ian's English, and that's fun to me because I'm American and think everything English people do or say is amazing, you do to, admit it. So put that in your pipe and smoke to the filter.

We'll put some music up closer to when we figure out when we're recording. Because you internet whiz's are amazing at stealing. I'm truly impressed, but hyper afraid of you, so let's just say we'll put out some demos when we're ready to be hacked to death.

And yes, I have the Gaslight Anthem's blessing because they know I love them more than Ian.
I just said that because it's fun to see Ian's face when reads this. (Hi Ian.)

So let's have some fun and put out some great music this year while we get ready to write the best Gaslight Anthem record yet!

We'll see ya out there on the road!

Thanks everybody,
Brian

Last edited by steady now steady now on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
amberfoyd
A Contender
A Contender
amberfoyd

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 6:20 am

HELL YEAH!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.twiter.com/amberfoyd
Zeebs07
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 9:16 am

Eeeeek!

I'm at a loss as to where to channel this excited energy! I don't necessarily have anything new to contribute to this thread but my sister isn't answering her phone so I need to talk about this with someone!

I'm so very glad Brian can't sit still. And Ian seems like such a nice guy, I cannot wait to see what their two minds come up with collectively.

This is gonna get me through the writing of the next TGA album...and is also gonna mean I stop saving for another year (oopsie) to see this tour. So I never buy anything ever again except concert tickets...

Yay, yay, friggin YAAAAAAY.

Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 2:52 pm

Oh. My. God.

I just realised that I've met Ian Perkins. A few months ago I went up to Zurich hoping to meet them (couldn't make the actual concert, long story) but I managed to meet Brian. I chatted with him and an English guy who was with the band about guitars. This guy knew his stuff and mentioned a couple of Brian's guitars so I'm guessing he was his guitar tech. Which, by the power of deduction, makes him Ian Perkins. That means that I have had a conversation with Brian Fallon AND Ian Perkins at the same time.

This pretty much sums up my current feelings ---> cheers
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 3:14 pm

StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:
Oh. My. God.

I just realised that I've met Ian Perkins. A few months ago I went up to Zurich hoping to meet them (couldn't make the actual concert, long story) but I managed to meet Brian. I chatted with him and an English guy who was with the band about guitars. This guy knew his stuff and mentioned a couple of Brian's guitars so I'm guessing he was his guitar tech. Which, by the power of deduction, makes him Ian Perkins. That means that I have had a conversation with Brian Fallon AND Ian Perkins at the same time.

This pretty much sums up my current feelings ---> cheers
that sounds like Ian indeed. it's way easier to meet Ian before/after a show than to meet the band, 'cause he's always hanging around and talking with people
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 3:19 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
Here's a good description, if Tom Waits, the National, the Afghan Whigs, Bon Iver, and Nick Cave made a band with Percy Sledge that'd be called The Horrible Crowes.

For some reason it always irks me when Brian does that. And he does it alot.

I'm not sure why though. Maybe it gives off the impression that they [TGA,Horrible Crowes, whoever...] doesn't come across as a legit thing (if that makes sense?). Or the projects rarely end up the way he says they willl.

Either way, I'm still excited for this.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Gee, I wonder if theyll need a guitar tech.

(Where can I send a resume!?)
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 3:42 pm

The Horrible Crowes, live pre-view

The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 BrianIanNT

(ok, I cheated, it's Ian playing with TGA in Nottingham)
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 4:00 pm

epic picture. nice!
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 4:07 pm

Daire wrote:
Here's a good description, if Tom Waits, the National, the Afghan Whigs, Bon Iver, and Nick Cave made a band with Percy Sledge that'd be called The Horrible Crowes.

I'm not sure why though. Maybe it gives off the impression that they [TGA,Horrible Crowes, whoever...] doesn't come across as a legit thing (if that makes sense?). Or the projects rarely end up the way he says they willl.

I wonder if he feels like he has to "justify" what he's doing... I promise I'd be perfectly happy if he just said "we are what we are." I mean, we're all gonna listen anyway! We're probably all going to love it, too. He doesn't need to try to relate it to anything else; all he needs to do is do his own thing, because he's incredibly talented and he has the perfect soul for this. I am SO excited for what they have coming!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 4:34 pm

fullcollapse wrote:
Daire wrote:

I wonder if he feels like he has to "justify" what he's doing... I promise I'd be perfectly happy if he just said "we are what we are." I mean, we're all gonna listen anyway! We're probably all going to love it, too. He doesn't need to try to relate it to anything else; all he needs to do is do his own thing, because he's incredibly talented and he has the perfect soul for this. I am SO excited for what they have coming!

I'm not sure Brian really told us anything yet. At the 59 Sound release show, he said the album had gospel choirs on it. On the other hand, while he likes to talk all kinds of fun balony on stage, he probably takes the blog more seriously. But strings, etc., where are all these musicians gonna come from; and live at that? But me, worried? Anything post-TCM Brian does is bound to be great, so just go ahead guys.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Anything post-TCM Brian does is bound to be great, so just go ahead guys.

Aw, TCM was wonderful... as was CRT! And don't you dare tell me you don't find Surrogate McKenzie to be absolutely endearing Razz
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 7:23 pm

This is just absoluetly great that were getting some legit info on this now. I can't wait to her a couple of those demos he was talking about.

I'd love to see them live too lol.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 10:33 pm

So is that why Ian was playing guitar in all of those shows?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Vibes wrote:
So is that why Ian was playing guitar in all of those shows?

I'm not sure if that would be why, exactly, I just always thought he did it because of some combination of wanting to and so Brian can roam around stage unencumbered for some songs. And, uh, hit himself in the face with microphones. Brian's been very charming without a guitar the times I've seen them Cool
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else think Ian looks a lot like the actor Tom Hardy in this picture?
Back to top Go down
bobbyjames
A Contender
A Contender
bobbyjames

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 1:25 pm

been a while since I've been on here, but really looking forward to hearing some of this. I'm hoping they do make it over to the UK as well.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 7:05 pm

Interview with AMP Magazine: http://www.ampmagazine.com/9131/the-horrible-crowes-interview-with-brian-fallon/

A few more details on Horrible Crowes, as well as a Spiro Agnew record.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 7:44 pm

Brian wrote:
Well drunken never happens with me, so no regrets there.

Love ya, Brian. I'm right there with you.

This is going to be such a great project.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 8:22 pm

That was a cool interview , im glad he uses Garage Band as thats what ive been doing recently.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]   The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked] - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Horrible Crowes: the Brian & Ian side project [thread locked]
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next