DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your music! (any and all types are welcome)

Go down 
+40
Hombie
brianpd
Chris Riot
loazis
Romain
NotLikeWeBleed
xxxje
Debonair
pepperedham
Yozzy
The Angry Johnny Revue
kappanera
33RPMHero
Hanswurst
Folke
NoSurrender
BossTime
bringiton_ty
Anya_TGA
ThereIsAThunder
zerb012345
TheMagnificentDreamer
elliott4296
The Last Jukebox Romeo
TGAFAN25
JimmyB
maxhoar
DeathoftheCool
Jack
HolyBreakOfDay
Holland
Harbortown
enola
Zach_Edelman
Jerseyrain
scarsrsouvenirs
simo
GraveRobbers
IKeeptheDiner
AngryJohnnyN1930
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 2:08 pm

Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
I've been playing for 10 years.  I've been singing since high school.  I've gotten compliments on my voice.  I've had a professional around here complement my guitar playing..were they all really lies?
I wouldn't call them lies as much as untruths told to not hurt your feelings. I always make a point to compliment musicians after a gig or something, it doesn't necessarily mean I liked it.

Have you taken any professional music classes? Because if you sing in a choir you can get away with basically anything. I think what you need is a professional teacher who can actually tell you what you're doing wrong because if you don't hear that, you won't improve.

Hey John, hate to bug you bro but did you get my message yesterday?
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 4:03 pm

I know I am a great lyricist.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 4:38 pm

JimmyB wrote:
I know I am a great lyricist.

Not only is this highly debatable and purely subjective, no one will get to the lyrics if you can't bring in the listener with a good song. Lyrics can be made better or worse by the way they're delivered. Example: The Backseat. Is "If you never let me go I will never let you down" really a revolutionary idea in a song? No, of course not. But the surrounding lyrics are fantastic and the song is an absolute monster. And Brian delivers it with such conviction in such a beautiful musical moment that it sticks out to pretty much anyone who hears it.

On the other side of the coin there are guys like Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan. No one will really argue with their lyrical prowess but it can be difficult for a lot of people to find their way into the music, so to speak. Because they have idiosyncratic voices and don't rely on melody to get their ideas across.

So even if you think you are a great lyricist no one will care unless you improve in the other areas of songwriting. And no offense, but I think it's absolutely absurd for someone to crown himself as a great lyricist. Let the world determine that. Don't ever settle for what you have by saying you're good enough already. That is a surefire way to stagnate as a songwriter.

That's my two cents, at least. Take it or leave it. But I think I've said all I can say on the subject for the time being. God bless Harbortown for continually trying to help you out every single time this topic crops up (which seems to be an awful lot, to be quite honest).
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Perhaps "great" was too much. I meant I am a good writer, not great, but I can write well.
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 8:18 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Perhaps "great" was too much.  I meant I am a good writer, not great, but I can write well.

You just took what Jack said and threw it out the window Jimmy. You have to hear what other people are saying and take it to heart. Listening will help your talents grow.
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 8:46 pm

This is my second song that I wrote over the last couple weeks. This is recorded on my phone, i am using a pretty broken guitar, and I am in a hotel room. I am going to record better versions of these songs when I get back home in a couple weeks. This is just an idea of what they are going to be.

https://soundcloud.com/heartbreakdancer/bourbon-and-cigarette-original
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 11:13 pm

Huh. Maybe it's my laptop or something but I can't hear anything, my man.

And yeah, Jimmy, it really seems like that post was a waste of my time now. Whatever, I tried. I'm done.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 11:15 pm

Jack wrote:

And yeah, Jimmy, it really seems like that post was a waste of my time now. Whatever, I tried. I'm done.
I'm sorry. What I meant was, I am a decent writer right now. I know I am decent but always trying to improve and taking advice when given constructively.
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 11:18 pm

Jack wrote:

Haha, I don't know what the problem is. It seems to be working on my computer and phone. Just check out whenever you can bro. I also wouldn't mind criticism and tips since you seem to have been writing for a while. Check out my other one if you can if you get things working. The other one i called "Urban Hymn" Much appreciated...no big worry if you can't get it to work.
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 11:36 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Jack wrote:

I'm sorry.  What I meant was, I am a decent writer right now.  I know I am decent but always trying to improve and taking advice when given constructively.

What Jack is saying I believe is you can't really label yourself as a "good", "bad", "decent", "great" writer. It really is kind of up to other people to figure it out for you. You should take other people's thoughts and use them to figure out what kind of writer, singer you are. I have only been writing for a month now but I don't label myself as anything. I really just care what other people say about it and figure out what type of writer I am from there. Someone can think they are the ugliest person in the world but loads of people can find them attractive and good looking. In the end you need to listen to other people......I think I just said that numerous times.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 12:56 am

Hmm…still not working. I guess I'll try tomorrow.

And though I've posted stuff on here from time to time I've taken it all down to prepare for the release of my band's debut EP. I haven't really mentioned it because I don't want to jinx it, but it's very near to being finished and I'm incredibly excited. So in not-very-long you guys can determine whether or not I know what the hell I'm talking about in this thread haha.
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 12:58 am

Jack wrote:

And though I've posted stuff on here from time to time I've taken it all down to prepare for the release of my band's debut EP. I haven't really mentioned it because I don't want to jinx it, but it's very near to being finished and I'm incredibly excited. So in not-very-long you guys can determine whether or not I know what the hell I'm talking about in this thread haha.

Looking forward to it man. Can't wait to hear it.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 2:17 am

Harbortown wrote:
The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:
These are my first non crappy iphone recordings. Would really appreciate it if anyone gave the time to listen. https://soundcloud.com/napier-avalon-jones
Pretty sweet, dude. I like the simplistic arrangements and the kinda grungy feel of "Down at the place.."

I just feel like your singing needs some work because the melody isn't really very clear a lot of the time. You've got some pretty sweet stuff to work with though as far as the music and lyrics are concerned.

Really appreciate the constructive feedback mate, thanks a a lot!
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 2:07 pm

33RPMHero wrote:
Jack wrote:

Looking forward to it man.  Can't wait to hear it.

I'll surely let you know.

I finally got your song to work. You said you've been doing this for a month? That's a really good sign, man, because this is not bad at all. It sounds like you want these songs to be bigger than just you and an acoustic guitar. Meaning it sounds like a punk rock song to me. But I can hear it being a solid tune in that setting. Keep at it, man. I think there could be more of a contrast between verse and chorus because it started to blend together to me by the end. But again, there's stuff you can work with here.

As a vocalist I think you just need time, practice and confidence. Not that it's bad (because it really isn't, I'm telling the truth) but just that--and again, this plays into the idea that this belongs in a band setting--you can sing with more power and energy.

Keep going, man. If this really only a month into it that's a great way to start.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 2:08 pm

Harbortown, Reach started playing right after 33RPMHero's song (sorry, still don't really know people's real names here :/) and I forgot how amazing that song is. In actuality, this is my music, stylistically speaking, so that doesn't hurt. But it's just a great song.
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 2:18 pm

Jack wrote:
33RPMHero wrote:
Jack wrote:

Looking forward to it man.  Can't wait to hear it.

I'll surely let you know.

I finally got your song to work. You said you've been doing this for a month? That's a really good sign, man, because this is not bad at all. It sounds like you want these songs to be bigger than just you and an acoustic guitar. Meaning it sounds like a punk rock song to me. But I can hear it being a solid tune in that setting. Keep at it, man. I think there could be more of a contrast between verse and chorus because it started to blend together to me by the end. But again, there's stuff you can work with here.

As a vocalist I think you just need time, practice and confidence. Not that it's bad (because it really isn't, I'm telling the truth) but just that--and again, this plays into the idea that this belongs in a band setting--you can sing with more power and energy.

Keep going, man. If this really only a month into it that's a great way to start.

Thanks Jack! I'll for sure take your words and use them to move forward in song writing/music. You hit the nail on the head about me wanting the songs to be more than just an acoustic guitar and me. I actually have some stuff lined up when i get home in a couple weeks. I have a girl I Know who is also going to sing and stuff lined up for drums, electric guitar and other instruments.

I really understand what you are saying about the verse and the chorus because honestly I felt the same way. I need to do something in between but I am sure I can work something out in the future.

I know, for sure, that my singing needs to improvement. I wish I could bust some louder notes out here but I actually am in a hotel right now. I have to be pretty quiet. I'll record a more upbeat sound to my voice once i get back. Though, improvement is a for sure. I need to get more comfortable and use more energy. I'm sure the more I do it the more I will improve. I listened to something from two years ago and I see improvement which is good.

Thanks for the advice and listening bro. Can't wait for your EP.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 4:35 pm

Sorry Chris my dude, yeah I listened to your stuff.

Considering you haven't been playing long it's really impressive, though I agree with Jack on the distinction between verse and chorus. Your singing needs a bit of improvement though you're not entirely off, you're mostly in the right key but the problem is you're not always hitting the notes like you should and perhaps you don't know exactly where to go with your melody. I call that the Brian Fallon syndrome, haha.
Really sweet lyrics too.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 4:36 pm

Jack wrote:
Harbortown, Reach started playing right after 33RPMHero's song (sorry, still don't really know people's real names here :/) and I forgot how amazing that song is. In actuality, this is my music, stylistically speaking, so that doesn't hurt. But it's just a great song.
Haha thanks man. I actually started thinking I should take my own music in that direction, kind of a Lumineers thing. On my way to work today I started working out a new song in my head in that style and I'm really excited about it.
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 10:45 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Sorry Chris my dude, yeah I listened to your stuff.

Considering you haven't been playing long it's really impressive, though I agree with Jack on the distinction between verse and chorus. Your singing needs a bit of improvement though you're not entirely off, you're mostly in the right key but the problem is you're not always hitting the notes like you should and perhaps you don't know exactly where to go with your melody. I call that the Brian Fallon syndrome, haha.
Really sweet lyrics too.

Haha, Brian Fallon Syndrome. Thanks for the advice bro. Advice and criticism always help and I don't mind it. I'm pretty excited to get back home to start working on these songs hardcore. Never tried anything like this before so I am pretty excited.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 11:11 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Jack wrote:
Haha thanks man. I actually started thinking I should take my own music in that direction, kind of a Lumineers thing. On my way to work today I started working out a new song in my head in that style and I'm really excited about it.

And I want to hear you sing more with that girl from the train station.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Jack wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Jack wrote:

Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Photo_10
Back to top Go down
HolyBreakOfDay
Wooderson
Wooderson
HolyBreakOfDay

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 6:16 pm

I love the pic! And I loved the song you two did, I admit I downloaded it on youtube and added it to some playlist I listen to a lot these days.

I like your new song 33RPMHero, and I think the same as Jack and Harbortown said even if I'm not good enough to say something about other's songs.

Here's one of mines, gotta work on it too because I wrote it yesterday, but I wanted to share it now. It's about a book I just read (The Shadow of the Wind from Carlos Ruiz Zafon): https://soundcloud.com/wawash-thunder/the-shadow-of-the-wind

Here are the lyrics, as english is not my native language I hope there's not too much mistakes and I may change some things anyway

Spoiler:

As you can see I'm not a great guitar player  Laughing I don't know how to improve and can't take lessons anymore for the moment (and even if I could, I have problems with my arms (tendinitis) and can't play more than a few simple chords).
Back to top Go down
http://rockthiswayforum.forumsactifs.com/forum
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Jack wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Jack wrote:

Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Photo_10

Haha nice. I look forward to it, sir.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 11:14 am

Okay about the recording mic I figured out what was wrong. I had to change the settings on my mic, it was set for the bare minimum,,but I have changed it to 'studio quality.
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Hey John, I see that you have a quite a few people listening to your stuff on soundcloud. Do you have any tips of getting more listens and your stuff around so people take a listen to it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your music! (any and all types are welcome)   Your music! (any and all types are welcome) - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your music! (any and all types are welcome)
Page 7 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next