DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of

Go down 
+14
Daire
lynchyeatspizza
Stevearm
SouthJerseyTGA
bradcooke
koolmcr
stephendgaf
Vibes
rhg5010
Jukebox Romeo
steady now steady now
mescalero
Palmer89
Forum Owner
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 11:45 pm

damn, scanning some of your lists, i realize i dont have a complete catalogue of very many bands!

lets see, off the top of my head...
and im going with all major releases, not like singles, seven inches, bootlegs, or greatest hits collections...

social distortion
the cure (i think)
third eye blind
HIM
rise against
against me
elliott smith
brand new
a death in the family
girl in a coma
horrorpops
bloc party
my chemical romance

thats more than i thought when i first started the list, but now i know what i have to get to fill that out with more bands!
Back to top Go down
Refused
A Contender
A Contender
Refused

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Keeping up with some bands is just way too hard, but I know for sure I have all the studio albums of these bands -

Against Me
Alkaline Trio
Bad Religion
Bayside
Carcass
The Clash
Dead Kennedys
Guns n Roses
Iron Maiden
Mars Volta
Megadeth
Municipal Waste
Reel Big Fish

There's probably a few more. I buy too many CDs by different bands, I should really start concentrating on completing some collections! So close to finishing my NOFX collection, why do these bands release so many albums?
Back to top Go down
http://acriddissonance.wordpress.com
SouthJerseyTGA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SouthJerseyTGA

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 11:42 pm

Just to comment on the "Killers" chat....I'm a Killers fan. Hot Fuss was a good album, but I became a huge Killers follower through Sam's Town.

Rolling Stone, for some reason, hated it. But not because it wasn't good. They hated it because it wasn't what they thought the Killers were... How the f do you judge a band by one album and immediately label them into a category. Credit to the Killers for not falling into that trap...

I saw them @ the Borgata in AC in October of 2006 (The first tour of Sam's Town). It was, and I've seen many great live acts like the Boss and Pearl Jam, one of the best concerts I've ever been too... They are without a doubt one of the best live bands. Emotion, Energy, and they sound even better live then on a CD. Pure showmans... But you got to see them live to fully comprehend. They definitely earned my respect and gained a fan.

As for their comparison to Gaslight, i don't agree with it. While both bands are great, they have completely different styles... "Old White Lincoln" is probably the song most people will compare to the Killers. Cuz like many Killers song, you can pick up what sounds like a little "Cure" in the song... Flowers voice is distinct but not as deep as Fallon's... Flowers doesn't really play instruments other then a Keyboard/Synthesizer except for the occasional bass guitar... Fallon, as of yet, hasn't really introduced the Keyboard/synth into his music.

Check out this link. It's Brandon Flowers fulfilling his lifelong dream and sharing the stage with his hero, Bruce Springsteen. Flowers joined the Boss on Thunder Road. Just a couple weeks ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZG2o2YSfEo

it was the only festival in the last 4 years the Killers didn't headline. They were offered to headline a different day, but instead opted to open for Springsteen. A pretty cool opportunity that gaslight is going to have the honor of doing pretty soon.
Back to top Go down
DukeStreetKing
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
DukeStreetKing

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 11:51 pm

The Gaslight Anthem
Alkaline Trio
Modest Mouse
Nirvana
Misfits (danzig era)
Against Me!
Danzig
Blink-182
Tiger Army
Dropkick Murphys
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
Hot Water Music
Ani Difranco
Andrew Jackson Jihad
Bayside
Black Flag
Back to top Go down
SouthJerseyTGA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SouthJerseyTGA

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 11:57 pm

Just to comment on Brandon Flowers perceived self absorbed demeanor.

It's BS. He's a quiet dude. Never comfortable doing interviews. And has said himself that he's bad with words. I don't think he says things trying to piss people off.

There is a double standard with rock musicians. Kanye West or Lil Wayne can come out and say they've made the best album of the last 20 years and nobody cares. Rollingstone will put them on the cover.

But flowers mispoke and got buried for it and has since apologized to his band, and we know how RS treated them.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 12:51 am

the only reason TGA and The Killers draw any comparisons is the reverb on the vocals. same reason my friends hear OWL and say it sounds like The Bravery. 3 completely different bands, but if you just notice superficial things about them, you might say they sound similar
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 12:56 am

Ani Defranco! That's some sweet shite!

Add The Cat Empire to my catalogue! Those guys rule.

As for Killers & TGA, these two songs remind me so much of each other:

* MIDNIGHT SHOW [THE KILLERS]
* THE BACKSEAT [TGA]

No?
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
Tiffiny
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Tiffiny

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 6:01 pm

Good topic!

First, regarding The Killers and The Gaslight Anthem: I don't see them as being similar at all. The Killers are a fun band to listen to, but I'm not a fan on any deeper level.

I used to be really big on collecting every release a band had (back in the day when you couldn't just download them). Off the top of my head/skimming my iPod (going with the three or more rule) not including singles in all cases:

Andrew Bird
Arcade Fire
The Beatles (pretty sure)
Bell X1
Bright Eyes
The Cranes
The Cure
Damien Rice
The Frames
Frank Turner
Frightened Rabbit
Gaslight Anthem
Heartless Bastards
James
Josh Ritter
Mark Geary
Mazzy Star
Morrissey
Pearl Jam
Radiohead
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rilo Kiley
The Smiths
Snow Patrol
Tegan & Sara
Two Gallants
U2
Weezer
The White Stripes
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanindie.net
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 6:56 pm

ugh. the bravery. such shite. they make the killers look good.

listening to "midnight show" right now, and cant say "midnight show" and "the backseat" really remind me of each other.

there might be a double standard with rolling stone, but i still think kanye's a self absorbed douche. but i guess he got knocked down a notch himself after he saw the south park parody of himself and realized how ridiculous he comes across.
either way no one will convince me that the killers are on par with gaslight Laughing
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 6:58 pm

Tomaldo wrote:
I have seen the Killers live in a huge indoor arena and I have got to say they were something special, and exceeded even the high expectations I had before going. Brandon Flowers was brilliant live as well, like a dynamo bouncing all over the stage; but I do think he's one of those guys who people either love or hate. I do get annoyed though with the similarities people draw between them and the Gaslight Anthem as I stated earlier.

Steph, I'd say if you like Hot Fuss give Day & Age a chance, it's more similar to Hot Fuss than to Sam's Town.

i just now saw that you wrote that...
well since ive been doggin em so much lately i guess i oughta give their new record a chance, only heard the first song on the radio and thought "eh". so maybe ill give it a listen.
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 7:14 pm

Personally thought the new album was crap...Other than Spaceman and a Dustland Fairytale.

First 2 were great, especially the 2nd, 2 people i've spoken to have heard similarities but there's nothing at all similar other than the distintive Jersey accent, and even then Fallons is much lower than Brendans.

But of course, Gaslight are much much better than Killers, in my opinion. Wink
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 7:41 pm

distinctive jersey accent? the killers are from vegas, arent they?
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 7:49 pm

ssssh Crying or Very sad

I knew they were from Las Vegas but was sure that I read something about New Jersey and Brendan Flowers, ignore me.

They still have similar voices but thats where the similarities stop.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 5:18 am

I made a thread about the Killers in the 'Other Bands' section so we can discuss them there, seeing as this thread was originally 'Bands You Have A Complete Catalogue Of'!!
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 3:47 pm

haha good decision, tomaldo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of   Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands You Have A Complete Catologue Of
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2