DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands I should like if I like TGA

Go down 
+8
Jukebox Romeo
Prisoner
Vibes
kieran
Stalls_Standing
Ivefoundgod
thecosmickid
simo
12 posters
AuthorMessage
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

Bands I should like if I like TGA Empty
PostSubject: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 3:15 pm

TGA are probably my #2 favorite band but I just can't get into any of the other artists that they are compared with. A lot of them veer too close to pop-punk for my liking.

I can dig some Bouncing Souls but I don't love them...never liked Against Me etc.

Just wondering who else is out there, maybe I'm missing out? I got lots of good recs last time I asked for music on here so I'll see what this brings.
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 3:29 pm

Which is your #1 favorite band?
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Ivefoundgod

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Depends what part of TGAs music you like, personally i'm not so fond of the punk sound of Sink or Swim even though I love all the acoustic versions of the Sink or Swim songs that Brian does. I've pretty diverse tastes in music so not sure what i could recommend. Maybe tell us a few of bands/artists you're into and we'll go from there.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 4:20 pm

thecosmickid wrote:
Which is your #1 favorite band?

The Clash. I've pretty much exhausted their contemporaries/influences/side projects so I figured I might as well start seeing where TGA leads me.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Ivefoundgod wrote:
Depends what part of TGAs music you like, personally i'm not so fond of the punk sound of Sink or Swim even though I love all the acoustic versions of the Sink or Swim songs that Brian does. I've pretty diverse tastes in music so not sure what i could recommend. Maybe tell us a few of bands/artists you're into and we'll go from there.

I like SOS almost as much as The 59 Sound, but generally I can't get into modern punk artists.

You can check out my Last.FM if you want: http://www.last.fm/user/lv_simo
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 4:31 pm

Try some Social Distortion
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Well my according to last fm our musical compatibility is very high so check out through some of the artists on there for some new stuff.

http://www.last.fm/user/kieran_ross

You have some good taste though Ozomatli and G.Love! Much respect.
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Ivefoundgod

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 5:04 pm

Seems we've similar tastes simo, good to see Bob Dylan(my favourite musician/singer/songwriter/person in the world ever). Some bands of not heard of on there, i'll check em out. cheers for the link.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 5:53 pm

Try The National. It's a similar voice style, different kind of music though. I love them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Joe Strummer has said "if you don't like Bruce Springsteen, you're a pretentious martian from venus" so you should try a little springsteen Smile

Listen to the Darkness on the Edge of Town album, it's great!
Since you're a big Clash fan I guess you've listened to Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros? I love streetcore.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 6:27 pm

Yes, I love the Mescaleros.

As for Springsteen...I don't mind him, but the production really annoys me and I'm not much a fan of his voice. Lyrically I like him a lot though.

I've enjoyed the few tracks I've heard by The National and keep forgetting to listen to a full album.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 7:49 pm

The Riot Before - Fist Buried In Pockets

You should check out that album, I think it's the most similar album to Sink Or Swim. There is even a kinda folkrock kinda song on it where the singers kinda sounds like Brian in some part. Also a riff in the song We Are Wild Stallions sounds like the tapping riff in Say I Won't.
Also the song Capillaries is awesome
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 8:43 pm

Social D and Lucero. probly The Hold Steady too
Back to top Go down
rhg5010
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 11:36 am

I'm not sure if this qualifies. On Kraytracker a few days ago I searched Gaslight Anthem just to see if there was anything I was missing. One of the torrents that came back was a band called Queen City Station with the description "for fans of the Gaslight Anthem." I gave it a shot and it's actually pretty good stuff. Not much of a fan of the guy's voice (kinda like a poppy, try-too-hard Brian Fallon) but the songwriting is solid enough to keep me listening, which says a lot.

Check out their myspace. It has most of the songs from their only album.
http://www.myspace.com/queencitystation
Carnivale is one that I'm stuck on now, but Central Terminal Squatters was the track that got me hooked.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/JabarPSU
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 10:37 pm

My vote is for 'Somewhere between heaven and hell' by Social D & 'Born in the USA' by Bruce Springsteen.
Back to top Go down
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 7:32 pm

Frank Turner, against me!, bad religion, alkaline trio, tim barry, and chuck ragan.

For the most part just check out who they have toured with or do a Pandora radio playlist with them.
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 11:17 am

rhg5010 wrote:
I'm not sure if this qualifies. On Kraytracker a few days ago I searched Gaslight Anthem just to see if there was anything I was missing. One of the torrents that came back was a band called Queen City Station with the description "for fans of the Gaslight Anthem." I gave it a shot and it's actually pretty good stuff. Not much of a fan of the guy's voice (kinda like a poppy, try-too-hard Brian Fallon) but the songwriting is solid enough to keep me listening, which says a lot.

Check out their myspace. It has most of the songs from their only album.
http://www.myspace.com/queencitystation
Carnivale is one that I'm stuck on now, but Central Terminal Squatters was the track that got me hooked.

This stuff is pretty good. I wouldn't say that the singer sounds like Brian though
Back to top Go down
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 10:35 am

Just stumbled onto this other band thread yesterday, thanks for all the recs. Checked out Queen City Station myspace, and really liked it. I'm ordering the cd. Solid. It may take a little more time for The Riot Before, it didn't grab me on first listen and compel me to buy like QCS.

Anyone a Moneen fan here? One of my top 5 favorite bands...Released a new one this week too. Check out the Red Tree, though, it kills.
Back to top Go down
ThornsIn

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Gaslight just finished their tour with The Loved Ones, a band you should really check out if you haven't yet. In my opinion, the songwriting doesn't approach that of TGA, but the sound is great. Another fantastic pop-punk band, if you can stand the vocals, is The Exploding Hearts. They don't sound much like TGA but are very reminiscent of the '70s punk and british rock sound, and very catchy. Another obvious one is Tom Petty, especially if you look deeper than his greatest hits catalog.
Back to top Go down
rhg5010
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 7:15 pm

Speaking of the Loved Ones, Dave Hause and Brian Fallon are very similar musically, and they know it and have acknowledged the fact that they are influenced by a lot of the same people.
We all know Brian's story of Rico and The Clash (I'da Called You Woody, Joe), but Dave Hause has the same story. He used to be very into Metallica, until a worker at Repo Records in Philadelphia gave him "Pleased To Meet Me" by the Replacements. Dave still knows the guy and visits Repo Records, and jokingly thanked the guy, saying that if it weren't for him, he'd still be listening to Metallica.
The Replacements are part of the big pool of influences from the Jersey boys of indie rock, seeing as Brian, Dave, and Ted Leo have all covered songs from the band. Maybe if you like the new Jersey music, you should give The Replacements a spin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/JabarPSU
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands I should like if I like TGA   Bands I should like if I like TGA Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands I should like if I like TGA
Page 1 of 1