DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?

Go down 
+279
Ashburtongeorge
Lastoftheindependents
emenius
~Aaron~
NotLikeWeBleed
Johnny 99
Hombie
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
TLRRescue
tigerstrom29
AngryRyan
gchestney
aaron0vt
Smasha13
Leigh
GaslightInspired
scottydontno
pleasepassthesoup
Forum Owner
23Punk
Aregular_89
jzancan
mwh
TheScottWillzAnthem
Hanswurst
CroyBhoy1981
Blues With the Dogs
DeathoftheCool
Jersey-Chris
LiveFastDieOld
BereasaTGA
kimmy
Anya_TGA
zerb012345
SpaceEcho34
Thunder_Road
FrankieG
kappanera
beckiee1993
jonester
Italian__Fallon
The Last Jukebox Romeo
cdala
EveryLittleSecret
HolyBreakOfDay
rdghst
FelixMA
BuddyHolly
Definitely_Josef
virginiasheart
Andy_
DianaAntonia
thgilsag_mehtna
DiamondSinatra
bringiton_ty
rsi1991
Paddy
GaslightFletch
Lexicon
OllieC
matkins
SubconsciousRitual
The Cool
wedidwhenyoung
keepsake
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Xanthias
jgardz
aussieTGAfan
JamesLUFC
Emusic
NYYFAN523
gking92
DryCounty
CapedAvenger
CasanovaBaby90
Try Me
Chesser19
Greenlizard
Chappers
OldManShoes3
moconnell23
Nothingman
TheSultanOfSwing
mrlisc2
A_Regular
Mr.Grieves
numnutz78
snakester
RaquelWaltz
Velocity
kayla_tga
nzappia90
StitchesOnTheRadio
Breanne
saltandburn1967
VanillaMintFusion
White Man In Hammersmith
TheContender
HighLonesome
Paula
redheadchick
'49mercury
AGoodTime
deadmanstown
marcsnitz
sonsofregret
Heart_Strings
gaslightsofie
AmSlang59
enola
clemsn78
Miles
rgillies
Steve70s
Keeb631
Don Carlo
EmmaMary
BobbyBaseball
Fiddler
Jerseyrain
nomad677
CharlotteGaslight
rumham
waltzingseñora
Matilda Noir
nebraska
J_Bizness
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Tobbo
33rpm
thealarmist
Blue_Collar_Man
mirrorenigma
spgilbert
Pel.71
Phil Rockabill
stayFree
I am Incinerator
StopAndSlideToTheRight
RememberLikeWeWereAlive
03aarm
The Angry Johnny Revue
joshyboytyler
kateoflowerchelsea
kkent16
Johnxazn
\m/aria
ashleybb
Harbortown
johnnyk748
hey yellow
Fat C
Matty-E
Simon
Know Your Borders
Gaslight23
UK Ellie
knuckles
Hemingway
No_Direction
NeverTrustAJunkie
gaslightom
Shrewsbury_Stars
Zeebs07
brianisbae
spork13
casanova15
fullcollapse
Henriflame
chickenman
Pants
concresence
theBasemen
GraveRobbers
JimmyB
Ghost
Kosburn59
ozfacter
Seldini
CASANOVA, BILLY!
Jessii
Christophe
summy
JJW319
Regarded
gp
Dwizza
bish
wonderson189
QueenOfTheBronx
azlisa
SmilinSkullRing
Philo
LuceroDiehard
amberfoyd
steffuhnee
oli1980
sidekicksuicide
randomhero78
ExitEnglish
tgatom
Jaywalk
its_lesleyanne
MKULTRA
JoeHamling
B701
cristinaevelyn
jward326
Reinvent good times
vamike
Turn the Casanova On
kuruptlon
Jay
rem999
torbar
Tailschao
Bea
bringiton
stayhungry
bobbyjames
pricegrabber
Casey
Izzy Eviel
Jeff
IKeeptheDiner
loazis
DaveSavedTheDay
borrowedcar
dapperdecembrist
mostly_harmless
matt even
nuwbuddy
dmac
RobertODonnell
andy.mac
Maureen973
thecosmickid
scousertommy
RunawaySmile
Holland
noble_man
redd
KittyKat
ral
Deeper Shade of Blue
carson
massie1903
Refused
Palmer89
Emyr
simo
tdawg
bradcooke
Stevearm
TGAFAN25
twistednightmare
Dan_Dog
steady now steady now
kcdc
Scott
lynchyeatspizza
tomttt
I Came To Dance
ktp
Snap
hostutca
surfNJ
Kristi
kieran
Norb
Luca Chinaski
JoshRaymond
Prisoner
steph
LBAZ
e7c
Jukebox Romeo
283 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Heart_Strings
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Heart_Strings

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 7:30 pm

My Ex played them a few times and told me to " get on them" so he bought me the albums for christmas while we were together and i bought him a gaslight anthem tshirt and then i just loved the band as soon as i started listening to them..i can't wait to see them this summer
Back to top Go down
http://yourbeautifulinsanity.tumblr.com
sonsofregret
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 5:53 pm

When I was 15 I was on a real Green Day-hype, listening to them all the fucking time. And I used to search up a lot of covers of them, so I hit this real good Green Day-cover by this dude. And then I just instantly thought "oh, let's see if he has something else..", so I did. He had a cover of Here's Looking at You, Kid up on his youtube. And I liked what I heard, although the quality wasn't that good, and he got the chords wrong. So I searched up the original, and it was this instant "oh fuck"-feeling of emptiness. Like everything I knew about music and every chord or clever line I knew was just.. monotonous and horrible in comparison. Changed my life forever, and I haven't looked back once!
Back to top Go down
marcsnitz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
marcsnitz

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 12:45 am

I always like telling this story but I never get to in full detail because I don't want to annoy anyone but y'all will probably appreciate it.

The middle part of my high school years were really lonely for me (my group of friends decided to stop hanging out with me for some reason) so I spent a lot of time on the computer in my basement talking to friends of friends from my summer camp on AIM and sharing music together. In late 2006 or early 2007 one of these friends sent me "Sweet Delta Blues", labeled as The Gaslight Anthem. I thought it was cool, and he sent me the rest of that TCM EP (still thinking it was Gaslight) a week later. I listened to that thing on the bus to and from school for a long time.

A couple months later that same friend IMed me telling me that Gaslight put new music up on their MySpace, so I went and listened to "I'da Called You Woody, Joe" and thought, 'Wow, this is a big improvement.'

A little bit more time passed and that AIM friend sent me Sink or Swim, which had leaked by that time. I listened to it idly in the background a couple times, thinking it was pretty good.

One day I went to my brother's apartment a few miles away to hang out, and had my iPod with me. I remember the very instant that the music gripped me was during "Drive", after the chorus comes back from the bridge as Brian sings with just the guitar and all of a sudden the kickdrum appears and carries the rest of the chorus until the rest of the band jumps back in - that knocked me over like nothing else I've heard before or since, and gave me one of those goosebump moments in music (I think there's a technical term for it).

I could go on with how I became taken with the rest of that album, but you get the idea. : )
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/snitzonsnacks
deadmanstown
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
deadmanstown

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 2:20 am

My older brother introduced me to most the music I listen to today. He got me listening to gaslight by getting me concert tickets for my 16th birthday, in 2009. We went to the concert at the stone pony with two other friends and after the first song they played we all new that this would be the first of many gaslight concerts we would go to. It was the most memorable concert I have ever been to, I have never been so sweaty in my life. Made so many memories that night. Ever since we have gone to every show we could!
Back to top Go down
AGoodTime
A Contender
A Contender
AGoodTime

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 4:53 pm

I went with my family to go watch Bruce Springsteen at Hyde Park. The 59 Sound was INCREDIBLE. After that, The Gaslight Anthem have overtaken Springteen as my favourite artist/s and my mother's 13 years of hard work is ruined.
Back to top Go down
'49mercury
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
'49mercury

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 12:24 am

A friend and I were at a graduation party and good tunes were needed so he put Gaslight on shuffle and let it play. No complaints were made. and I was sold as a fan.
Back to top Go down
redheadchick
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 1:42 pm

I heard the 59 sound on local radio and liked it. About a year later I was looking for something new to listen to, so I downloaded the rest of 59 sound, followed by American slang, then the rest. Am a fairly new gaslight fan but my timing is good with Handwritten and a tour coming up. I hate it when I get into a new band only to discover they played in town three months ago.
Back to top Go down
Paula
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Paula

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 7:11 pm

At the beginning of 2011 I read some posts in another forum (U2) about The Gaslight Anthem and their awesome live performances. I checked them out on YouTube, bought some records, finally saw them live and fell in love.

And the best thing was, that this love opened my eyes (and ears) to a new style of music. In this last one year I discovered so many great bands, I wouldn´t knew without TGA. So thank you Gaslight and the guys who posted about them.
Back to top Go down
HighLonesome
A Contender
A Contender
HighLonesome

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 12:50 pm

In September of 2008, I decided to randomly download the song of the week on iTunes - something I never really did 'cause I'd always forget about it (and besides, I feel they hardly have any great music as a free download). That song of the week was the '59 Sound... a few days after I first heard it, I went out and bought their album. It's been love for Gaslight ever since!
Back to top Go down
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender
TheContender

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 9:43 pm

In the "Other Music Forum" of the Pearl Jam boards about 2 1/2 years ago. Loved what I heard...drove 2 1/2 hours to go see them in Kansas City....and skyrocketed from there. Been in love with them ever since.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 1:49 pm

Knew of them since 59' Sound but only took notice when my brother was blasting American Slang in his car. I was blown away by the melody, the lyrics and most of all Brians vocals!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
VanillaMintFusion
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
VanillaMintFusion

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 11:26 pm

I discovered them August 2009 when I had flown in early to Boston for a business trip. Was supposed to go with a colleague but her trip was cancelled and I ended up being alone in the city for the weekend. Not knowing what to do in Boston on my own I asked my US colleagues and they told me about a free concert with various bands being given at city hall. So even though I was tired (only having arrived that afternoon & jet-lagged as hell) I decided to go. Once there I tweeted that TGA was playing (had never heard of them) and a friend in the UK told me I had to see them, that they were good. I did and needless to say they impressed me and I've liked them ever since...
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 11:34 pm

I was looking around Spotify randomly one day this past December while going through a hard time because of this girl who totally broke my heart. Luckily I came across I Coul'da Been A Contender and was instantly hooked. I listened to every album on Spotify that night and bought every album the next day. They helped me get over that girl and they will always be a very important part of my life.
Back to top Go down
Breanne
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Breanne

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:03 am

My bro started going to shows and listening to them constantly back in like late 07, and he's always trying to get me to listen to his music, and i was really digging sink or swim, then '59 sound came out later and i fell in love.
I didn't see them until like, 2009 I think? Whenever they went on tour with Alkaline Trio was when I saw them first.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xripped_kneesx
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 2:20 am

Breanne wrote:
My bro started going to shows and listening to them constantly back in like late 07, and he's always trying to get me to listen to his music, and i was really digging sink or swim, then '59 sound came out later and i fell in love.
I didn't see them until like, 2009 I think? Whenever they went on tour with Alkaline Trio was when I saw them first.

Though I discovered Gaslight Anthem myself...my brother does the same exact thing. If it wasn't him I would have never heard Chuck Ragan. I am glad we both have brothers who can pave the way into some GREAT music. Haha
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:26 pm

I was bored and on youtube and looking for interesting collaborations between Springsteen and whoever. I don't know what caused me to click on the clip of Bruce playing the 59 Sound with TGA but I did. Maybe it was because I thought "Springsteen with a young punk band? this I gotta see".

I'd love to say I had an epiphany and fell in love the second I heard it but it was more like I enjoyed it, and found myself just going back and watching it a couple times a day. Then it got stuck in my head and I really got into it.

So I checked out their songs on youtube, all songs from the 59 sound except for We Came to Dance and I just loved all the references to other artists that I was a fan of. So I bought '59 Sound right away and then heard they had a new album coming out in a few months. By the time American Slang came out (like 2-3 months later) I was obsessed.

Back to top Go down
nzappia90
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 9:35 pm

fall 2008 right after the '59 sound was released.. heard the song 59 sound and then shortly after downloaded the album (illegaly) then shortly after that bought it then discovered sink or swim... then the rest is history
Back to top Go down
kayla_tga
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 7:25 pm

a few years ago i was downloading some music for a friend of mine, the only two songs that i remember him asking for were the 59 sound and rise against - prayer of the refugee. i instantly liked the 59 sound but it was only last year when i browsing youtube for springsteen clips that i watched him playing with tga and i remembered them and instantly bought all the albums and fell in love with them.

so i've been a proper fan since about september or october. better late than never & i hope to catch them if they come to ireland!
Back to top Go down
Velocity
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Velocity

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 8:16 pm

I was listening to the old Jersey Shore rock station G-Rock 106.3 late one night around December 2008/January 2009, and they played The '59 Sound. I remember being drawn in by it because it made me feel nostalgic for an era I'd never experienced, I guess. I can't really describe it. I downloaded the album online after that, and I liked it but I honestly couldn't really get into it and I didn't listen to it much aside from the title track. I wanted to like it more than I actually did...I was stupid back then, hah.

Fast forward to 2010 when American Slang came out, I was at a Green Day show in Camden NJ and there was a street team guy handing out promo CDs that had American Slang and the Queen of Lower Chelsea. I thought the CD was great. About a month later I was browsing around FYE one day and saw a ton of copies of the album and decided to scan the barcode and listen to the song samples. I loved every single song and bought the album, and the rest is history. The funny part is that now my favorite album is The '59 Sound Razz
Back to top Go down
RaquelWaltz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
RaquelWaltz

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 1:50 pm

My boyfriend played them so much I was made to love The Gaslight Anthem. Best thing he's ever done Smile
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 2:49 pm

RaquelWaltz wrote:
My boyfriend played them so much I was made to love The Gaslight Anthem. Best thing he's ever done Smile

Your boyfriend sounds like a great guy! Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
RaquelWaltz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
RaquelWaltz

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 2:51 pm

White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
RaquelWaltz wrote:

Your boyfriend sounds like a great guy! Wink

Believe me. He is. Hug
Back to top Go down
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 4:29 pm

I was listening to SiriusXM a few years back (Alt Nation for any of those familiar) and they started to throw The 59 Sound into fairly heavy rotation. The first few times I didn't really notice, but then the song started jumping out at me, making me thing "damn, this seems like something special". So I went and bought the album. And it was probably the best album I've ever heard.

Which was the start of an addiction. My friends all are giving me shit because they're saying I'm like a junkie with the way I want Handwritten to come out.
Back to top Go down
numnutz78
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 12:47 am

while flicking through the channels in 2009 i dropped on "glatonbury highlights" and on there were this band id never heard of that just blew me away. watched the set and the next day went out and bought both "sink or swim" and "the 59 sound". they werwe pretty much playing perpetually for the next 6 months in my car. my life changed when i accidentally saw them on that late night highlight show. the best band i have EVER seen simple as that!!!!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Grieves
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Mr.Grieves

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 1:12 am

Every now and then I'll go on Amazon and look up bands I love to find out what other people have purchased. That's how I found TGA. Loved them ever since.
Back to top Go down
http://mrgrieves21.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?
Page 12 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next