DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?

Go down 
+279
Ashburtongeorge
Lastoftheindependents
emenius
~Aaron~
NotLikeWeBleed
Johnny 99
Hombie
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
TLRRescue
tigerstrom29
AngryRyan
gchestney
aaron0vt
Smasha13
Leigh
GaslightInspired
scottydontno
pleasepassthesoup
Forum Owner
23Punk
Aregular_89
jzancan
mwh
TheScottWillzAnthem
Hanswurst
CroyBhoy1981
Blues With the Dogs
DeathoftheCool
Jersey-Chris
LiveFastDieOld
BereasaTGA
kimmy
Anya_TGA
zerb012345
SpaceEcho34
Thunder_Road
FrankieG
kappanera
beckiee1993
jonester
Italian__Fallon
The Last Jukebox Romeo
cdala
EveryLittleSecret
HolyBreakOfDay
rdghst
FelixMA
BuddyHolly
Definitely_Josef
virginiasheart
Andy_
DianaAntonia
thgilsag_mehtna
DiamondSinatra
bringiton_ty
rsi1991
Paddy
GaslightFletch
Lexicon
OllieC
matkins
SubconsciousRitual
The Cool
wedidwhenyoung
keepsake
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Xanthias
jgardz
aussieTGAfan
JamesLUFC
Emusic
NYYFAN523
gking92
DryCounty
CapedAvenger
CasanovaBaby90
Try Me
Chesser19
Greenlizard
Chappers
OldManShoes3
moconnell23
Nothingman
TheSultanOfSwing
mrlisc2
A_Regular
Mr.Grieves
numnutz78
snakester
RaquelWaltz
Velocity
kayla_tga
nzappia90
StitchesOnTheRadio
Breanne
saltandburn1967
VanillaMintFusion
White Man In Hammersmith
TheContender
HighLonesome
Paula
redheadchick
'49mercury
AGoodTime
deadmanstown
marcsnitz
sonsofregret
Heart_Strings
gaslightsofie
AmSlang59
enola
clemsn78
Miles
rgillies
Steve70s
Keeb631
Don Carlo
EmmaMary
BobbyBaseball
Fiddler
Jerseyrain
nomad677
CharlotteGaslight
rumham
waltzingseñora
Matilda Noir
nebraska
J_Bizness
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Tobbo
33rpm
thealarmist
Blue_Collar_Man
mirrorenigma
spgilbert
Pel.71
Phil Rockabill
stayFree
I am Incinerator
StopAndSlideToTheRight
RememberLikeWeWereAlive
03aarm
The Angry Johnny Revue
joshyboytyler
kateoflowerchelsea
kkent16
Johnxazn
\m/aria
ashleybb
Harbortown
johnnyk748
hey yellow
Fat C
Matty-E
Simon
Know Your Borders
Gaslight23
UK Ellie
knuckles
Hemingway
No_Direction
NeverTrustAJunkie
gaslightom
Shrewsbury_Stars
Zeebs07
brianisbae
spork13
casanova15
fullcollapse
Henriflame
chickenman
Pants
concresence
theBasemen
GraveRobbers
JimmyB
Ghost
Kosburn59
ozfacter
Seldini
CASANOVA, BILLY!
Jessii
Christophe
summy
JJW319
Regarded
gp
Dwizza
bish
wonderson189
QueenOfTheBronx
azlisa
SmilinSkullRing
Philo
LuceroDiehard
amberfoyd
steffuhnee
oli1980
sidekicksuicide
randomhero78
ExitEnglish
tgatom
Jaywalk
its_lesleyanne
MKULTRA
JoeHamling
B701
cristinaevelyn
jward326
Reinvent good times
vamike
Turn the Casanova On
kuruptlon
Jay
rem999
torbar
Tailschao
Bea
bringiton
stayhungry
bobbyjames
pricegrabber
Casey
Izzy Eviel
Jeff
IKeeptheDiner
loazis
DaveSavedTheDay
borrowedcar
dapperdecembrist
mostly_harmless
matt even
nuwbuddy
dmac
RobertODonnell
andy.mac
Maureen973
thecosmickid
scousertommy
RunawaySmile
Holland
noble_man
redd
KittyKat
ral
Deeper Shade of Blue
carson
massie1903
Refused
Palmer89
Emyr
simo
tdawg
bradcooke
Stevearm
TGAFAN25
twistednightmare
Dan_Dog
steady now steady now
kcdc
Scott
lynchyeatspizza
tomttt
I Came To Dance
ktp
Snap
hostutca
surfNJ
Kristi
kieran
Norb
Luca Chinaski
JoshRaymond
Prisoner
steph
LBAZ
e7c
Jukebox Romeo
283 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 10:14 pm

My story isn't as sweet as some of the others, but I'll tell you anyway. I first heard about Gaslight through Tegan Quin from Tegan and Sara constantly raving about them in interviews and on twitter. Tegan and Sara is one of my favorite bands so I figured I'd give a listen, but I never really got around to it. They were just a name on my "check this out" list. Then I heard about them again some how through Against Me!, and I got a free download of The '59 Sound single off some site, and listened to it literally every single night before I went to bed. Then I got a podcast of them performing on The Interface, and loved every song they played, and constantly drained my iPod battery by watching it over and over again. Then I realized that if loved every song I'd heard so far, I would probably love the whole album. So I got The '59 Sound, Sink Or Swim, and The Senor and The Queen EP, and they became my favorite band. And I completely fell in love with them again after American Slang came out. And the fact that all the guys in the band seem like such sweet hearts only makes me respect them that much more. I can't wait to see them live someday!!
Back to top Go down
Seldini
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 12:44 am

I have to agree with some others who've said they originally heard Sink or Swim being praised on the Streetlight forum. I'm new to the forum here but from what I've read, I'm glad to be among like-minded people... most of my friends don't understand that one listen to Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts can be enough to turn the worst day into a good one.
Back to top Go down
ozfacter
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 1:20 am

In Dec 07 a friend gave me a copy of SoS and just said to listen to it. Didnt take the cd out of my car for months. Then saw them open for The Loved Ones in Feb 08 which was amazing. Now, Ive seen them almost every time theyve been in Philly since and as many Jersey shows as I could get to. Just moved to MA so I cant wait to see them in Boston now. A new venue for me to see them at! Nothing will ever compare to the Stone Pony shows tho.
Back to top Go down
Kosburn59
Wooderson
Wooderson
Kosburn59

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 8:00 pm

I discovered Gaslight when I was crawling around on SideOneDummy's MySpace back in 2008. I'm a really big fan of some of the groups on their label (Flogging Molly, Fake Problems, Audra Mae, etc.), and then I came across these guys maybe a month or two after they released The '59 Sound. For one thing, the design of the album and even just the name of the title attracted me instantly. I just have this infatuation for the 1940's and '50's style and music, so it just seemed exciting looking at the album. On top of that, Ted Hutt produced the friggin thing, and I love almost every album that he's produced, so that just made it even better. After listening to a few of the songs, I went out and bought the album, and it's been probably my favorite album since then.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 9:34 am

Pretty short and sweet story for me. Was wondering around Reading Festival in 2008 with nothing decent on (think it was Editors on main stage, ugh). Gaslight were playing in a tiny tent but had attracted a pretty good crowd. They were the most exciting band I'd seen in ages, even not knowing any of their songs, so I made sure to get '59 Sound when I got home, and it's now up there as one of my all time faves.

Delving into their back catalogue and American Slang just reinforced the lurrrve.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 9:52 am

My friend got me aware of them, by wearing their shirt all the time "The 59 sound shirt", and I finally asked him what it was, he said it was this underground band, and I should check them out. For awhile like others, I put them on the backburner, but when I heard that They played at Hard rock with Bruce Springsteen, I said to myself "I have to check this out". needless to say, The 59 sound was the first song I ever heard from them, then Old White Lincoln, followed by, We Came to Dance. So I guess I thank Springsteen for performing with them for my discovery of TGA. I have been trying to get most of my friends into them, no such luck.
Back to top Go down
GraveRobbers
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 12:37 am

Well my story is pretty lame. I was driving in my truck and old white lincoln was on the XM. I went in downloaded 59 sound, fell in love then downloaded sink or swim and was hooked since then.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 11:49 am

GraveRobbers wrote:
Well my story is pretty lame. I was driving in my truck and old white lincoln was on the XM. I went in downloaded 59 sound, fell in love then downloaded sink or swim and was hooked since then.
And then you obviously bought everything, right? Exclamation
Back to top Go down
theBasemen
A Contender
A Contender
theBasemen

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 12:07 pm

If not, he could have downloaded them on iTunes Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Naked-Sweat-Drips/259797094
GraveRobbers
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 1:24 pm

loazis wrote:
GraveRobbers wrote:
And then you obviously bought everything, right? Exclamation

Everything I could find. Havent got any vinyls yet, but I'm looking to change that
Back to top Go down
concresence
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 2:11 pm

In early September 2008 I met a girl that is now my current girlfriend. We started to see each other quite often. One day when I was driving to her house, the radio announced of a young New Jersey band that was making waves with their latest album. The radio then played "The '59 Sound", I immediately fell in love with the song and went and purchased the album. My girlfriend and I spent the last bit of warmth of that summer driving in my car with the windows down listening to " Old White Lincoln" and "Miles Davis and the Cool"... that album means a lot to me. It has also been my soundtrack to the transition from living at home to living in the city. Very happy i found this band.
Back to top Go down
Pants
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Pants

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 12:49 am

JerseyDevil introduced me to TGA. I hoped on that trolley.
Back to top Go down
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender
chickenman

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 3:03 pm

As some of you probably can tell from my username, I'm a big Springsteen-fan, and that's how I first discovered the Gaslight Anthem, trough the Greasylake community. Thanks to whoever it was, who first made me aware of the GA. I remember getting the '59 Sound, and it soon became the most played album in my car for the next six months or so.
Back to top Go down
Henriflame
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 3:12 pm

SSome dude on this forum by the name of e7c (im nearly 90% positive it was him!) who i was talking to on the against me! forums Very Happy

I introduced him to the frames too so all was good

needless to say i thought they were brilliant from the get go and have been a fan ever since
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 7:40 am

My husband and I got married on November 22, 2008. We only have a few friends so we wanted them all at the reception and since everyone's broke, we asked for no gifts from them. One of our friends gave us a mix CD and with that, he essentially gave us Gaslight. He put Here's Lookin'... on there and we had that song on repeat for the next few weeks, literally. We were moving from Ohio to Chicago a few days after the wedding and it was what we listened to.

I consider it to be the best gift I have ever been given, aside from life itself. The band has kind of become my life so it sort of makes sense. Gaslight kind of seems like fate, as I was raised on Springsteen with my mom, from before I was born with headphones over her pregnant belly and up until the time she died, when I was 10. I was into more of the pop punk realm as I got a bit older and met the man I was going to marry, and we spent 6 years together basically just falling in love with each other over bands. I couldn't have met a better person to spend the rest of my life with. Our Springsteen roots were nearly identical, as were our teenage tastes. Hearing Gaslight on our wedding day was, like I said, pretty much fate. We have several bands who we grew to love together, but Gaslight was the first that became ours after we were married.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 3:08 pm

that is such a great story! its awesome how music can do amazing things! i like your username too, a thursday reference? Smile
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 3:19 pm

azlisa wrote:
that is such a great story! its awesome how music can do amazing things! i like your username too, a thursday reference? Smile

It sure is! In my opinion it's one of the most flawless albums ever recorded. I love Thursday but they're not totally my favorite... I just think it's a glorious album. I don't even like that kind of music, and yet, it makes me melt every time. Oh, high school memories.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 3:21 pm

fullcollapse wrote:
azlisa wrote:

It sure is! In my opinion it's one of the most flawless albums ever recorded. I love Thursday but they're not totally my favorite... I just think it's a glorious album. I don't even like that kind of music, and yet, it makes me melt every time. Oh, high school memories.

hahaha high school memories for sure! not go TOO off topic, but you know thursday is doing a full collapse in its entirety tour with underoath next year? the tour is coming to where i live and luckily i work at the venue AND i love UO and thursday Smile
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 3:29 pm

azlisa wrote:
fullcollapse wrote:
azlisa wrote:

hahaha high school memories for sure! not go TOO off topic, but you know thursday is doing a full collapse in its entirety tour with underoath next year? the tour is coming to where i live and luckily i work at the venue AND i love UO and thursday Smile

I absolutely died when I heard about that tour. Got tickets with the presale! Although, I am very uneasy about the fact that the album is going to be TEN years old. I can't believe music that got me through high school has been around for that long. Too scary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 12:49 am

I was in Iraq on my first tour and a friend bought Sink or Swim off iTunes, and played it for me. That album helped me get through that damn deployment 4 real!! Thank you, Gaslight!!!
Back to top Go down
casanova15
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
casanova15

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 4:33 am

My sister's boyfriend introduced me to Gaslight right after '59 sound came out but he had me listen to all of Sink or Swim first and i can say it changed my life. not a day goes by where i dont listen to something by GA or Fallon
Back to top Go down
spork13
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
spork13

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 2:46 am

heard them in the video game skate 2 and then by chance saw them at a free show in boston held by wfnx. once i heard woody joe in skate i was right away attracted to the sound and then when i saw them live it just sealed the deal
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 12:48 pm

I bought a Rock Sound magazine in December 08 because Corey Taylor from Slipknot was on the cover, and after I read his article, I saw the Gaslight Anthem on the next page. I didn't think much of them, continued browsing through. I then saw some pictures of Springsteen albums, and since I'm a huge fan, I had to read about it. I read the whole article about Gaslight, and thought to myself 'hmm, Springsteen and punk rock?' So I checked them out, and immediately fell in love. I bought the '59 Sound, and it has been the soundtrack of my life since. They are, in my opinion, the greatest band in the world.
Back to top Go down
Zeebs07
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 11:09 am

It was around 4 am January 1st 2010. I was sitting on the floor in front of the fire half watching the 'Best of Glastonbury 2009' when I heard 4 guys rocking out to a song I liked the sound of. Then I heard the crowd start "booing" but my Bruce trained ears knew better - out ambles Bruce, guitar in hand.

I will never forget the thought that went through my head..."oooh shit"...which in my "complicated" vocabulary genrally means "you're hooked, line & sinker, you're gonna be busy for the next while". My next thought was 'If Bruce likes these guys (and clearly these guys like Bruce based on that lead singers adorable reaction...is he even breathing?)...then they must be good'.

And that as they say, is that.

It's only been a year, but wow, what a year it's been. The best New Yrs eve night EVER! I dread to think if I had gone out that night...would I have ever happened upon them?

As with all good music finds, the timing couldn't have been better. I'd hit a wall with my music collection, was struggling to find something to inspire me and was sick of hitting skip on my mp3 player. Since discovering TGA, my love for music has been re-invigorated and I hit 43 gigs this year last saturday night.

But the beat never leaves and the tempo's a relief Wink

It's not a very cool story but cabin fever's setting in with the snowmageddon so I thought I'd share!
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 11:31 am

Hey, that IS a cool story! Especially the part about reigniting things for you it will be 54 or 55 shows for me this year, and that's because this band reminded me of why I was put here to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?
Page 7 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next