DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]

Go down 
+112
simo
BossTime
azlisa
biggs
TheDTYP
macci
DaisyLu
JukeboxJuliet
shredderrrrrr
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
PPQ
JenF
Bobul
katechampagne
onbackstreetsinbackseats
moreblue
gchestney
BKO5950505
23Punk
AndWithTheWindowDown
njguy99
Unorthadox1080
Shrewsbury_Stars
B701
loazis
HaveMercyMae
bringiton
ccr_2108
bt211
Jack
Labhras
Harbortown
HolyBreakOfDay
Steve70s
chigurh
TooMuchGaslight
jensomniac
PennStateRLZ
CapedAvenger
Anya_TGA
cdala
No Retreat
Chappers
dmckella1
Holland
kappanera
kristyn
Keele
lol_paul_ledoux
magnificentdreamer
ral
Boy From Little Eden
danny4690
nebraska
Kasia
JimmyB
jonnyz83
DeathoftheCool
MKULTRA
SouthJerseyTGA
Mountie
sinkorswimmydear
SirBrad
JacksSmirkingRevenge
borrowedcar
jzancan
HorribleCrowe
CasanovaBaby90
Hasler09
ivienco
rumham
pepperedham
The_M23
NotLikeWeBleed
mingus
bradleyjp
White Man In Hammersmith
The_River
33RPMHero
Christophe
Jaws
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
mja271
miked331
bringiton_ty
Jerseyrain
zerb012345
The Angry Johnny Revue
riversedge
StateOfMind
steady now steady now
Vanderlyle Geek
The Last Jukebox Romeo
bobbyjames
Prisoner
Hanswurst
crsmsi
StitchesOnTheRadio
colmillionaire
Yozzy
pleasepassthesoup
Thunder Peel
enola
Casey
TGAFAN25
NervousFeet
TGA30
bigbug
RobertODonnell
Debonair
Franco3088
116 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
jonnyz83
A Contender
A Contender
jonnyz83

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Why do people who simply want the deluxe CD justnot order from Amazon like I did? It shipped over the weekend - will have it on my doorstep when I get home from work. and was able to download the digital copies this morning to add to my phone for my commute. Perfect.

Why even mess around with Infinite or MPD if it's only the CD you want?
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
In terms of pre-orders shipping, I got this response from Infinite Merch:

Unfortunately, your order has not shipped yet, as we do not have any copies of the album yet from the record label. Originally scheduled for August 19th here in the United States, the "Get Hurt" release date was pushed forward to August 12th. Unfortunately, even after multiple efforts to expedite, we were unable to secure our inventory of "Get Hurt" from the record label by the new date.

Please check your email for another email from us for a digital download of the album to listen to while you wait.

Thank you for your patience while we work through this. Your order will ship immediately after we receive our inventory of the "Get Hurt" album.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thanks for this, I'm a little calmer now knowing it was out of their control.

jonnyz83 wrote:
Why do people who simply want the deluxe CD justnot order from Amazon like I did? It shipped over the weekend - will have it on my doorstep when I get home from work. and was able to download the digital copies this morning to add to my phone for my commute. Perfect.

Why even mess around with Infinite or MPD if it's only the CD you want?

I wanted the red/white splatter vinyl, not the CD. If it WAS only the CD I wouldn't bother either.
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 12:55 pm

How many versions of this album are out there?

Standard CD
Deluxe CD
Best Buy Deluxe CD w/ This Is Where We Part
Deluxe colored vinyl with 15 tracks
red/white splatter vinyl
black vinyl
iTunes Deluxe w/ exclusive iTunes track

this is all in the US
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 3:54 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
In terms of pre-orders shipping, I got this response from Infinite Merch:

Unfortunately, your order has not shipped yet, as we do not have any copies of the album yet from the record label.  Originally scheduled for August 19th here in the United States, the "Get Hurt" release date was pushed forward to August 12th. Unfortunately, even after multiple efforts to expedite, we were unable to secure our inventory of "Get Hurt" from the record label by the new date.

Please check your email for another email from us for a digital download of the album to listen to while you wait.

Thank you for your patience while we work through this. Your order will ship immediately after we receive our inventory of the "Get Hurt" album.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

So the band's own fan club doesn't have copies of the album on the release date? Absolutely amazing. I'd say the delay is unbelievable but the same thing happened with Handwritten, where IM's shipment was delayed (reportedly by the label) until the Friday before the release and obviously everything went out later than they'd hoped. At least they emailed people this time, so that's an improvement.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 3:59 pm

SirBrad wrote:
How many versions of this album are out there?

Standard CD
Deluxe CD
Best Buy Deluxe CD w/ This Is Where We Part
Deluxe colored vinyl with 15 tracks
red/white splatter vinyl
black vinyl
iTunes Deluxe w/ exclusive iTunes track

this is all in the US

There's also a Euro version of the deluxe vinyl.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 4:14 pm

After trashing the album when I listened the first time, I went back through again (I can't just give up on a TGA record so easily...not buying and loving a Gaslight album feels so strange for me), and there a few songs that I do enjoy more than I did before (Stray Paper is notable, but some of those lyrics, man...*wince*).  But I think my issue with this album is that for most of the songs, for me, half of each one is brilliant and the other half is garbage.  I love the beginning of Red Violins musically and vocally (even though lines like "20 pounds of curses came to visit me last night" don't mean much to me and the entire violins/sympathy thing that's so insufferably hokey), but then the chorus pains me.  1,000 Years I can do sometimes, but that chorus reminds me so much of Train, sometimes I'm like, oh christ *eye roll*.  Underneath the Ground starts off interestingly enough, but it just slogs on and doesn't do anything for me.  And I'm sure Selected Poems is as good as people say it is, but I've never been able to get past the first part without zoning out until the song was over, or just skipping it. Just some examples to give you an idea. It would be one thing if I only liked half the album, but to only like half of individual tracks throughout an album...rough.  Still, man...those fucking bonus tracks.  In the end though, half the album is tracks to skip for me.  At first, I would have given it 3.510, but it's still only at a 5/10 for me now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
bradleyjp
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
bradleyjp

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 4:37 pm

I'm really annoyed with Infinite Merch at this point. Always delayed, never providing tracking information...
Back to top Go down
http://bradleyjp.me
NervousFeet
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
NervousFeet

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 4:58 pm

I no longer pre-order albums because the few times I have, it's come days after the release day of the album.

Did go into a record store today to pick it up. Deluxe ended up like $20, damn man and people wonder why iTunes and pirating are in full force?? Razz

I still like physical discs for records I like though so that wasn't too tough a bullet to bite.
Back to top Go down
Thunder Peel
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Thunder Peel

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 5:30 pm

Went out and bought the deluxe version at Best Buy. I wasn't aware that version had an exclusive track (This Is Where We Part, a Two Point Eight cover) so that was pretty cool. I really can't get enough of the record right now. It's so addictive.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 5:34 pm

Yeah, went and spent another $27 for a black vinyl. Whatever, it was worth it completely.
Back to top Go down
dmckella1
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 5:42 pm

I did too. Infinite Merch was cool and cancelled the pre-order for me though.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 5:45 pm

Thunder Peel wrote:
Went out and bought the deluxe version at Best Buy. I wasn't aware that version had an exclusive track (This Is Where We Part, a Two Point Eight cover) so that was pretty cool. I really can't get enough of the record right now. It's so addictive.

Not sure why they've done that. It was one of 2 tracks on the fan club 7". Its not bad though yeah.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 5:52 pm

dmckella1 wrote:
I did too. Infinite Merch was cool and cancelled the pre-order for me though.
Still kept mine, really liked the coloring.
Back to top Go down
Thunder Peel
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Thunder Peel

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Jerseyrain wrote:
Thunder Peel wrote:

Not sure why they've done that. It was one of 2 tracks on the fan club 7". Its not bad though yeah.

Yeah, it was kind of random but since I didn't have the song it was worth it. I really need to get around to actually joining the fan club. I keep forgetting to do that!
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 6:50 pm

So I just listened to the record.

I have many positive feelings after doing so, but man, Break your heart. That one just killed me. What a perfect song, without a doubt one of their best ballads.
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 6:54 pm

cdala wrote:
I keep thinking of Katy Perry's Teenage Dream (more especifically the HC version of it) on that slower part in Break Your Heart. "You can lean on me till your heart don't beat" for "let me get your heart racing". It's the way he sings it I guess
Anyone else hear the resemblance or am I just crazy? Laughing 
Yeah, i spotted that on first listen (and obviously a good few others did).

One that i can't put my finger on is Selected Poems (which is getting better with every listen). The start of the chorus is really nagging at me, and i can't figure out what it's reminding me of. Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 6:55 pm

A few listens into the album now and I'm so glad I decided to hold out to listen to most of this...all my original worries about the album are gone. I really like this album, a lot. Whilst I can see why some people won't enjoy it, I am more than happy with the outcome and feel these songs will translate pretty darn nicely in the live environment.
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 6:58 pm

the first time I heard that part I immediaty sang "in your skin tight jeans" to myself. And every other time after I have done the same.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 7:17 pm

So. I avoided listening to streams and downloading leaks until I had the album. As a ritual I listen for the first time with the lyric book in hand.

I've gotta say I agree with some of the more negative reviews on here. There does seem to be a lot of filler tracks on here that don't do a lot for me. Songs like Aint that a shame and Selected Poems aren't exactly blowing me away whilst Break your heart's lyrics sound a little amateurish at times.

Don't get me wrong I do like the majority of the songs but I LOVED the majority of the songs on previous records. Ya feel what I'm sayin? Standout tracks for me so far I'd say are Sweet Morphine, Mama's Boys, Halloween, Have Mercy, Underneath the Ground and Dark Places but I really miss the big anthemic choruses.

I feel like I get Rollin and Tumblin a lot better now and I love how it parallels with Have Mercy, which explains why the latter was perhaps left off the album proper. I think Stay Vicious has had some bad press but is better than people think. I wasn't a fan of the intro really but the chorus really makes that song I think. 1000 years seems like it wants to hit the anthemic heights of songs such as Keepsake and 45 but it just doesn't quite make it. That said it is one of the better tracks. I can see why Dark Places has been suggested as a closing track for the live shows, it is lyrically good and has a real feel of finality to it like Backseats. The track everyone seems to be ignoring is Halloween because it is older now. I think it is the best song lyrically and is easily one of the best in this collection

On the whole I think the bonus tracks could easily have replaced 4 off the original 12. Too many songs alternate between heavy/soft and fast/slow and part of me doesn't feel it sounds right whilst part of me still enjoys the song so it has me a little confused. The lyrics seem to fluctuate between great and as I said earlier; amateurish on occasion. It leads me to think that maybe some of the songs are a little forced.

I think this album (like many of you have said) will be more of a grower so I hope that if I were to re-write this synopsis in a few weeks I'd sound a lot more positive. Just being honest...

Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm someone who was highly critical, and still remain highly critical, of the lyrics on Handwritten with a few exceptions. I think "Get Hurt" is fantastic from a lyrical standpoint. "Stray Paper" and "Underneath the Ground" contain lyrics I didn't know Brian knew how to write. All the other songs are basically breakup songs yet they remain fresh for me because Brian switches his lyrical style up. This is also the first album where he has actually used tongue-in-cheek humor (R&T, Helter Skeleton) and I love that. Only "Break Your Heart" is pretty bare-bones lyrically but for some reason it works, kinda like an old Tom Petty song. Simple but not stupid. There are a handful of lines that strike me as misses (the "she died last week and her last words were....it wasn't worth it" for instance) but most of them are bad because it's Brian stepping out of his comfort zone and screwing up, which is 100% better than him playing it safe and being bland like some of the songs on Handwritten.

Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 9:21 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
. There are a handful of lines that strike me as misses (the "she died last week and her last words were....it wasn't worth it" for instance) but most of them are bad because it's Brian stepping out of his comfort zone and screwing up, which is 100% better than him playing it safe and being bland like some of the songs on Handwritten.

I agree they're better than Handwritten, but not about the line "she died last week...it wasn't worth it". Oh man. That, paired with the line before it, is my favorite line on the record, and one of my favorite TGA lyrics. Both emotional and smart, a tricky blend.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 10:19 pm

I had preordered one of the vinyl bundles and the Deluxe CD from Infinitemerch mainly because I like to support them. So when I realized that I would not receive my order today (and also realized I wouldn't be able to spend one more day without it  Very Happy ) I went to my closest Newbury Comics store over lunch to buy another copy of the CD. They only had one copy of the Deluxe and the Standard left on the shelf so it looked like the morning had been going well saleswise. When I went to pay, the guy smiled approvingly so we chatted about Gaslight for a little while.
Then in the afternoon I had an email from Infinitemerch in my inbox, with an apology for the delay and an mp3 download. Sounds good to me.
Later I saw the Best Buy version on FB. Had I realized that earlier, I could have bought that instead since I'll eventually get the Deluxe CD  (hopefully) and I was at Best Buy for recycling anyway but then I like to keep Newbury Comics in business anyway so it's all good in the end.
Loved listening to the CD on my Bose tonight.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 1:41 am

the biggest influence i hear on this album is greg dulli. stray paper could be a twilight singers song. and have mercy reminds me of mark lanegan
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 2:46 am

jzancan wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:
. There are a handful of lines that strike me as misses (the "she died last week and her last words were....it wasn't worth it" for instance) but most of them are bad because it's Brian stepping out of his comfort zone and screwing up, which is 100% better than him playing it safe and being bland like some of the songs on Handwritten.

I agree they're better than Handwritten, but not about the line "she died last week...it wasn't worth it". Oh man. That, paired with the line before it, is my favorite line on the record, and one of my favorite TGA lyrics. Both emotional and smart, a tricky blend.

That line always gives me pause but trust me, it works better live. Couldn't tell ya why, it just does. It flows better I guess?
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 4:42 am

Oh by the way, does anyone else hate the chorus of 1000 Years?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]
Page 14 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next