DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]

Go down 
+112
simo
BossTime
azlisa
biggs
TheDTYP
macci
DaisyLu
JukeboxJuliet
shredderrrrrr
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
PPQ
JenF
Bobul
katechampagne
onbackstreetsinbackseats
moreblue
gchestney
BKO5950505
23Punk
AndWithTheWindowDown
njguy99
Unorthadox1080
Shrewsbury_Stars
B701
loazis
HaveMercyMae
bringiton
ccr_2108
bt211
Jack
Labhras
Harbortown
HolyBreakOfDay
Steve70s
chigurh
TooMuchGaslight
jensomniac
PennStateRLZ
CapedAvenger
Anya_TGA
cdala
No Retreat
Chappers
dmckella1
Holland
kappanera
kristyn
Keele
lol_paul_ledoux
magnificentdreamer
ral
Boy From Little Eden
danny4690
nebraska
Kasia
JimmyB
jonnyz83
DeathoftheCool
MKULTRA
SouthJerseyTGA
Mountie
sinkorswimmydear
SirBrad
JacksSmirkingRevenge
borrowedcar
jzancan
HorribleCrowe
CasanovaBaby90
Hasler09
ivienco
rumham
pepperedham
The_M23
NotLikeWeBleed
mingus
bradleyjp
White Man In Hammersmith
The_River
33RPMHero
Christophe
Jaws
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
mja271
miked331
bringiton_ty
Jerseyrain
zerb012345
The Angry Johnny Revue
riversedge
StateOfMind
steady now steady now
Vanderlyle Geek
The Last Jukebox Romeo
bobbyjames
Prisoner
Hanswurst
crsmsi
StitchesOnTheRadio
colmillionaire
Yozzy
pleasepassthesoup
Thunder Peel
enola
Casey
TGAFAN25
NervousFeet
TGA30
bigbug
RobertODonnell
Debonair
Franco3088
116 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Thunder Peel
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Thunder Peel

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 3:48 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:
Yeah I've always thought barre Keepsake, Mae, and Blue Dahlia the majority of Handwritten was a disgrace, and the quality of this record just re-affirms that.

I've always thought handwritten was a disgrace besides 45, handwritten, here comes my man, mulholland drive, keepsake, too much blood, howl, biloxi parish, desire, mae, national anthem, and blue dahlia.

Ditto. I still love that album.

Back to top Go down
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 4:01 pm

Jack wrote:
I actually thought the cadence of the 1,000 Years coda is very similar to the verses of Like A Rolling Stone.

It might just because I think the whole thing sounds so much like a Tom Petty song, but that coda reminds me a lot of "Here Comes My Girl".
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 4:08 pm

Jack wrote:
jzancan wrote:
Jack wrote:
I actually thought the cadence of the 1,000 Years coda is very similar to the verses of Like A Rolling Stone.

?

The cadence or the rhythm of the words are very rambling in both of these songs.

"Way back when we became friends" = "Once upon a time you dressed so fine"

Not to mention they're also both melodies that heavily rely on one note.

Ah, you're right. I reread your post and missed "coda." I was thinking of the verses and was very confused.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 4:12 pm

"Have Mercy" sounds like it could be written by Bruce around the time of "Secret Garden"-the female "Ooohs" sound like something he could compose. Regardless, wow. It's beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 4:22 pm

JimmyB wrote:
"Have Mercy" sounds like it could be written by Bruce around the time of "Secret Garden"-the female "Ooohs" sound like something he could compose.  Regardless, wow.  It's beautiful.

Have Mercy is great and Brian's voice sounds fantastic. Now imagine that they did this song as a more rocked up version with the chorus a lot more anthemic. I don't know how all of of you think that would sound but I think it'd be AWESOME!! I may suggest it to the band to experiment with that!
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 4:57 pm

JimmyB wrote:
"Have Mercy" sounds like it could be written by Bruce around the time of "Secret Garden"-the female "Ooohs" sound like something he could compose.  Regardless, wow.  It's beautiful.

Good call. Love that song.

Nice pic with Joe G by the way. Was back out in Pittsburgh in May and was lucky enough to score 5th row tickets to see him play with Bruce and the Soldiers and Sailors Hall. Amazing show.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 5:06 pm

So, first listen was a complete let down...

I'm on listen (probably 45-50) and it gets better every time.

Favourites so far: 1,000 Years, Helter Skeleton, Selected Poems, Dark Places
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 5:11 pm

Jack wrote:

And people are being way too harsh on Handwritten. It's always a gut reaction to dismiss the previous album when a new one comes out, since it typically attempts to "correct" the flaws of the last. But honestly I much much prefer Handwritten to Get Hurt. It's just so much stronger melodically and it feels more like Gaslight to me. Get Hurt is an extremely dour album, even though I do enjoy it.

I agree!

I also kinda miss Alex R's guitar prominence on Get Hurt in comparison to Handwritten. On that album he is all over the place.
During Selected Poems for example all two (or three?) of them are only playing chords with exception of the ending.

I do welcome Ian playing slide guitar on some of the songs which really sounds good, especially on Underneath The Ground.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 9:52 pm

Prisoner wrote:
Jack wrote:

And people are being way too harsh on Handwritten. It's always a gut reaction to dismiss the previous album when a new one comes out, since it typically attempts to "correct" the flaws of the last. But honestly I much much prefer Handwritten to Get Hurt. It's just so much stronger melodically and it feels more like Gaslight to me. Get Hurt is an extremely dour album, even though I do enjoy it.

I agree!

I also kinda miss Alex R's guitar prominence on Get Hurt in comparison to Handwritten. On that album he is all over the place.
During Selected Poems for example all two (or three?) of them are only playing chords with exception of the ending.

I do welcome Ian playing slide guitar on some of the songs which really sounds good, especially on Underneath The Ground.

Seriously, on the second half of the album i really think the songs are lacking either lead guitar parts or some of the cool layering that's going on on the first half. That's really my main qualm with the album at this point
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2014 1:33 am

Prisoner wrote:
Jack wrote:

I agree!

Agreed. I really like Get Hurt, but I prefer Handwritten as this point. I think it's short sighted and getting blinded by the newness of this record to just shit all over Handwritten like I've seen a lot of. There are things done better on Get Hurt, but also things done better on Handwritten. They both have their merits and I don't see why there frequently needs to be the caveats and digs thrown in at the last album when praising the new one.
Back to top Go down
kappanera
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kappanera

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2014 5:55 am

Jerseyrain wrote:
JimmyB wrote:

Have Mercy is great and Brian's voice sounds fantastic. Now imagine that they did this song as a more rocked up version with the chorus a lot more anthemic. I don't know how all of of you think that would sound but I think it'd be AWESOME!! I may suggest it to the band to experiment with that!
That would be an AMAZING alternative version.The "now your pretty horses" line could turn into something like the coda of 1000 years.I'd love to hear something like that, even if it's pretty clear that they couldn't come up with a better atmosphere to serve the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2014 7:47 am

CasanovaBaby90 wrote:

I'm a good distance behind you in terms of listens, but i think those 4 are my favourites too. Dark Places clicked for me yesterday and i LOVE it. Backseats is my fave song ever (not just TGA), and the similarities are striking. Dark Places might take Backseats' place at the top of my list.
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2014 9:59 am

Got word from my order i'll receive the normal version on the 22th of august. kind of bummed out.
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2014 6:21 pm

I received part of my Infinite Merch bundle order today - the poster, shirt and pin. They also included a Handwritten pin. Also had a note that the vinyl will ship separately. It's more of a collectable for me anyway so it's fine, just hoping I'll get the red and white splatter version.
I came close to stalking the mailman. I knew the package was out for delivery and when I left the house to run an errand I saw the USPS truck driving toward my house so I walked back and caught him as he was going into the elevator  Laughing
Back to top Go down
onbackstreetsinbackseats
A Contender
A Contender
onbackstreetsinbackseats

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2014 9:24 pm

I got my crooked printed tee shirt, cheap non screened poster, get hurt pin and handwritten pin. No record and no mention that I would get the regular version. If infinite Merch is going to swap variants why do they still have the splatter variant on the website. You screwed me again Costanza.
Back to top Go down
katechampagne
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
katechampagne

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2014 10:18 pm

I went for a long bike ride (on a bike path! I don't have a death wish riding around my city with headphones on!) the day the album came out and really listened to every song. I love it. My first few favorites were 1000 years, Dark Places and Sweet Morphine. Right now I'm really into Selected Poems, Mama's Boys and Stray Paper. And Stay Vicious REALLY grew on me. I didn't like it the first time I heard it. A lot of my friends seem to dislike this record but I'm in love. People change, so do the songs they write.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/katexchampagne
Bobul
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Bobul

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 12:03 am

CapedAvenger wrote:
CasanovaBaby90 wrote:

I'm a good distance behind you in terms of listens, but i think those 4 are my favourites too. Dark Places clicked for me yesterday and i LOVE it. Backseats is my fave song ever (not just TGA), and the similarities are striking. Dark Places might take Backseats' place at the top of my list.

1,000 Years was a standout favorite for me on the first listen and I think it should be the next single off the album hands down. Dark Places though has become my all time favorite off this album. Every once in awhile a song comes along that you can relate to and it gains a more special meaning to you. Dark Places is that song for me. Awesome album. Im happy with it.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 5:35 am

Could someone confirm that it's Matt Mays singing backup on Break Your Heart? Is it in the liner notes?

I still have to receive my vinyl of the album.
Back to top Go down
sinkorswimmydear
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 7:28 am

got my vinyl with bonus 7" yesterday. no gatefold  Mad . and bonus 7" like it was at the handwritten bundle. looks a bit cheap but im glad with the 180 gram. still curious what the picture one will look like...
Back to top Go down
JenF
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 10:27 am

Bobul wrote:
CapedAvenger wrote:
CasanovaBaby90 wrote:

1,000 Years was a standout favorite for me on the first listen and I think it should be the next single off the album hands down. Dark Places though has become my all time favorite off this album. Every once in awhile a song comes along that you can relate to and it gains a more special meaning to you. Dark Places is that song for me. Awesome album. Im happy with it.

I have to agree with this regarding Dark Places.

On my first few listens Dark Places didn't really stand out but now on (approximately) my twentieth listen, and listening to the lyrics etc, Dark Places is my favourite by a million miles.

I think (but don't hold me to it) that my other favourites at the moment are Get Hurt, Selected Poems and Red Violins. Not really feeling Sweet Morphine, Ain't That a Shame and Break Your Heart.

Overall, really loving the album. I don't want to say I love it more than Handwritten though because they're so different (I think) that's its hard to even compare them.
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 10:46 am

Prisoner wrote:
Could someone confirm that it's Matt Mays singing backup on Break Your Heart? Is it in the liner notes?

as far as I saw, there's no mention of it in the digital booklet.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 8:42 pm

From what I can tell the new album entered at No. 4 on the UK albums chart.

Behind Ed Sheeran (X) Sam Smith (In the Lonely Hour) and Dolly Parton (Blue Smoke - the Best Of)
Back to top Go down
PPQ
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 2:56 am

For those of you interested in - heres a new review of "Get Hurt". Caution: Its in german.

Without fly glasses
Back to top Go down
http://politplatschquatsch.com
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 6:22 am

ral wrote:
Prisoner wrote:

as far as I saw, there's no mention of it in the digital booklet.

Thanks for looking it up for me.

Weird that he isn't in the booklet. I thought I saw a post on Brians or the band's twitter about Matt being with them singing in the studio.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 8:47 am

Anyone get a shipping email from IM yet for the splattered vinyl?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]
Page 17 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next