DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)

Go down 
+55
jdc
Yozzy
jensomniac
aelliott88
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Andy_
DeathoftheCool
jzancan
Steve70s
The_River
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Jack
kupe
HorribleCrowe
colmillionaire
JimmyB
Marlyn
Hanswurst
rumham
njguy99
bradleyjp
Unorthadox1080
bringiton_ty
The Last Jukebox Romeo
sinkorswimmydear
Hasler09
Vanderlyle Geek
riversedge
enola
MKULTRA
33RPMHero
Bobul
pleasepassthesoup
Debonair
pepperedham
TGA30
eagles1139
matkins
Jaws
ivienco
jonnyz83
bringiton
TGAFAN25
Holland
RobertODonnell
CapedAvenger
kappanera
StitchesOnTheRadio
23Punk
Prisoner
kristyn
Anya_TGA
Vibes
zerb012345
steady now steady now
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 10:18 pm

jdc wrote:

Honestly, Gaslight has absolutely no place amongst popular radio music today. And that is a GOOD thing. What's the closest thing we have to a rock band on the radio today, Imagine Dragons? Even the other "popular rock bands" out there today (The Black Keys, Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters...etc) don't really get much radio play at all. No more than '45' got in my area (upstate NY). Plus Handwritten and 45 were able to get some arena play and some intro/outro spots for sporting events on TV. That's about as good as it gets for a rock band these days.

My uncle who lives in CNY (hour outside of Rochester) in rural NY mentioned before that he hears Gaslight on the radio.  I'm outside Philly and hear them on Philly's alt. Rock station so they're definitely getting play, whether they're impressing people is a different story.  

Just to Piggy back on what you were saying, it's also important to keep in mind how fragmented Rock is as a genre.   There's the SXSW speech with Bruce where he lists all 40 different classified genres within Rock.  And you need to remember that no matter how niche your music might be, you can find other bands rather easily with the internet.  You don't have to settle for something else nor do you have MTV shoving music down your throat telling you which bands to listen to.  You can find what you like, plain and simple.  Also it's not like you have $10 anymore and you can only buy 1 cd.  People know who they are, I just don't think they consider them that good which is fine, to each their own.

If you want to call it a problem you can, but Gaslight isn't doing anything new.  In the 80's honest rock was dead.  Suddenly grunge comes around and Rock is back in the mainstream.  Unfortunately there hasn't been any major revolutions in rock that would bring it back since then.  Sure the folk-rock movement is sort of in vogue which might be why Frank gets more play than Brian, but it's certainly not making the impact like Seattle grunge did.

And sure sonically Gaslight switches it up album to album, but it's all been "borrowed" from somewhere else.   We hear a 30 second teaser and immediately everyone says Soundgarden.  It's hard to be a pioneer in Rock at this point and to really make people notice what you're making.  Gaslight probably would have fit in well  in the 90's but the problem is it's 2014 and not everybody cares enough to hear another heartbreak song.  Brian is very much the product of his influences and it shows almost to his detriment.
Back to top Go down
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mike_Millburys_Shoe

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 11:02 pm

jdc wrote:
Mike_Millburys_Shoe wrote:

Same here haha in response to what you said...wow. Downside of living 2.5 hours from NYC, 3+ from Boston: I didn't even know that type of radio station existed. Completely oblivious. In that case....damn. That's stunning that they haven't made it big on those formats. I hope for their sake that this album changes things.

Albany doesn't have that kind of station (I assume that's where you get most of your radio from, if you're in Clifton Park)?

Not really.

All of the "Rock" stations are basically just classic roc: ACDC, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, GNR...stuff like that.
Two of the 3 "Alternative" stations are 1) barely within signal and 2) play reeeallly weird stuff.

102.7 EQX okay. They're based a bit further up north and we can sometimes get a signal. They're pretty decent for alternative and actually played a fair amount of Gaslight for a bit: Boxer, American Slang, 59 Sound, 45, Handwritten.
Back to top Go down
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mike_Millburys_Shoe

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 12:40 am

Back to the thread topic though...I don't know why but I think I'm hearing a strong similarity between the chorus of RnT and the chorus of Go Tell Everybody by THC...anyone else? Clearly a different tempo but..
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 12:50 am

I got the same feeling from the last part of R&T that I got from the first time I heard Great Expectations. This album is going to be fantastic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 2:07 am

when they have a single out Gaslight gets played quite a bit on CBC radio 2. adult alternative kinda music. i`m expecting to hear R&T often! (keeping it on topic there  cheers )
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 2:14 am

also i love Benny`s fill in the middle of the second chorus, right after Brian says `rollin and tumblin'

it has a slightly sloppy feel that actually sounds like rolling and tumbling.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 3:21 am

Back to the thread topic though...I don't know why but I think I'm hearing a strong similarity between the chorus of RnT and the chorus of Go Tell Everybody by THC...anyone else? Clearly a different tempo but..

I could see that a little bit now that you say it. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "strong similarity" though.

Regarding the radio stuff, I could go on for hours about theories I have (maybe someone should start a topic on this because clearly we all have a lot to say!) but I honestly think it boils down to the mindset of the general public. Pop music will always be popular. But in the last decade or so, everyone has gotten so lost in their iphones, laptops, etc. and there's such a constant onslaught of news and I think that has made a lot of people, for lack of a better term, "not give a fuck". And rock music thrives on protest, on rebellion, on anger, on caring about SOMETHING whether political or a lover. And the general public just doesn't care about that OR their schedule is too busy to fit in a little "rebellion". So, they'd rather listen to something with a simple hook so that they can get wasted and still know the words. Also, I think the western world is so damn depressed, that they need happy bubbly pop music and don't want to feel worse by listening to dark, heavy, or otherwise deep music (I've been told this by a number of people). Personally, I've never understood that, but that's because I'm hopelessly devoted to misery Wink

But honestly, anything can happen. I'm very curious to see where this song and album charts.

For the song itself though, right now, I just can't stop listening to it. I'm having one of those experiences where it almost scares me how much I can relate to the song (because honestly, when is it a GOOD thing to relate to darker content) but I love that feeling anyway.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 5:09 am

You're not alone, on the first listen I thought the very same. To me it's Biloxi Parish with a sprinkling of Elsie and American Slang. And I love it!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
HolyBreakOfDay
Wooderson
Wooderson
HolyBreakOfDay

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 8:21 am

I love the song, I can't stop listening to it.
Back to top Go down
http://rockthiswayforum.forumsactifs.com/forum
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 9:49 am

I can't wait to hear this 1. live and 2. acoustic
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 10:48 am

I'm a bit indifferent about this song so far. Ive heard it 3 times and have decided not to play it much now until I have the full album. However, although it does have a singalong chorus, I've not been blown away by the lyrics or the song in general really. I'm hoping it will grow on me more but right now I'd say its just ok. One thing that has occurred to me is that bands realease the song that is perhaps the most catchy and likely to be liked by the public as their first single and if this is the one they felt would go down the best with most people then I might be a little concerned.

The plus side is there are 15 more songs to come and I expect that by the time the album is released I will be loving the majority of songs as per usual  Very Happy 

Sorry for the negativity guys, they may be my favourite band but I've always felt I can be objective and honest about them.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Marlyn
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 11:43 am

zerb012345 wrote:

True. The song has everything to be awesome (to say the least) live.

Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 12:32 pm

Marlyn wrote:
zerb012345 wrote:

True. The song has everything to be awesome (to say the least) live.

YUP
live this shit is gonna hit hard. i keep listening to the single over and over, gets better every time. not one of my favorite gaslight songs ever, but it's a gaslight song, and it's pretty damn sick. it's just good to hear them again
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Something about his delivery on "but you ain't a diamond no more" always has me hitting rewind
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 2:07 pm

Also the lyrics make me so excited for slowed down, heartbreaking acoustic version
Back to top Go down
rem999
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
rem999

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Not a fan of this song at all... Very medicore in my book.  I hope it isn't representative of the rest of the album in terms of quality, which it probably won't be since its a "single". Plus, what is going on with all the hype about how different this album is going to sound? This just sounds like a muddled and clumsy Handwritten song that didn't make the album.
Back to top Go down
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 3:10 pm

zerb012345 wrote:

Not done on an acoustic guitar, but a bit of a preview on how the latter might sound. (YT)
Back to top Go down
Marlyn
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 7:04 pm

Just a last note on the whole "are the getting any bigger" topic from my point of view:
I think the key here is that being successful in the market that TGA are in does not necessarily mean huge record sales. I tend to measure bands by their fan base and the venues of their concerts, so I assumed this whole trend I'm seeing over here (more, larger gigs) would also be present in the US.
Which is a stupid thing to assume, but nevertheless...

Just seem to be carrying these lyrics around with me, there's a lot in them for me!

Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 12:12 pm

I didn't know they already played this live Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)   Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes) - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rollin' and Tumblin' (new single - out now on iTunes)
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7