DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)

Go down 
+86
23Punk
ral
angryjohnny27
mja271
BereasaTGA
Forum Owner
jonnyz83
kappanera
No Retreat
bigbug
The Angry Johnny Revue
lo
brunswick18
Rizz
Hasler09
TheEmptyBones
The_River
matkins
'49mercury
Prisoner
Hirti
Vibes
pepperedham
Keele
jzancan
Tincan Sailor
BKO5950505
HorribleCrowe
flannel
Asmith1912
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
mingus
Zach_Edelman
Thunder Peel
33RPMHero
BossTime
jensomniac
bt211
Shrewsbury_Stars
Roe
mely88
big blue
TGAFAN25
jonester
FrankieG
cdala
crutchfield
Jaws
zerb012345
Anya_TGA
bringiton_ty
_rebekka_
Joe Thumb
sjoy89
Jerseyrain
SirBrad
CapedAvenger
saraM87
rotmitweißenpunkten
rumham
Ghost
Yozzy
simo
RobertODonnell
enola
Labhras
Debonair
SammyHutchison
HolyBreakOfDay
Harbortown
borrowedcar
Jack
JimmyB
NeverTrustAJunkie
thomas94
The Last Jukebox Romeo
cmigs
Hanswurst
Steve70s
CluckyB
eagles1139
DeathoftheCool
StitchesOnTheRadio
Christophe
njguy99
steady now steady now
90 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 5:42 pm

4/16/14 (Day 28 in studio)

Tweets

Quote :
@Perkins28: This is my friend @JonPGilmore he's the master of pro tools. I call him Feng Schwayze for obvious reasons. http://t.co/jGDWKZFTdm

Instagram

http://instagram.com/p/m3Q64IiusN/
click for photo:

http://instagram.com/p/m3ooLTjtit/
click for photo:

Last edited by Debonair on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 6:17 pm

thomas94 wrote:
Haven't posted here for a longer time, my excuses for that. I'll try to be on the forum more regularly now.

Anyway, my excitement for the new album is growing day by day. Since there was this well-known statement, where they told the upcoming album would the "weird" one, I'm kinda beginning to worry a little. Because I'm starting to take this statement about creating something "weird" as the band trying to get into really different directions in order to gain new inspiration/creativity.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna stop their musical progress..I just wouldn't like to see the band getting lost in some style/sound using synthesizers or something that really doesn't fit them.  Wink Has anyone of you guys ever had similar thoughts?

Their clear guitar sounds and the honest lyrics have always been what I loved the band for. I'd really hate to see the band losing these attributes. I mean, there's more than one band out there that tried to create "artificial creativity" by using stuff that didn't reflect their music.

But hopefully they'll proof me wrong with their new album  Clap

I think any time a band mentions that they're gonna do something weird or different it's hard not to be a little worried that you won't like the direction they take, but based on what they've said and what's happened with them in the past, I don't think you need to be too worried. I say this for a couple reasons:

1) When they said it would be the "weird" album, they compared it to when Pearl Jam released "No Code". If this comparison holds true then I think this album will be great because that'll mean it'll be different enough to be interesting and stand out from the rest, but still sound enough like them that they won't "lose their sound".

2) Did you like Elsie? That was different and involved keys and other stuff and personally I think it's the best album Brian's ever been apart of. I wouldn't be surprised if the new album blends TGA with THC in some aspects given what came out about the guys wanting to be apart of that, or wishing they'd put it out or whatever it was they said.

3) If you're worried about honest lyrics look at Brian's most recent work with Molly and the Zombies. That's probably the best indicator of where he's at lyrically and those are definitely honest, thought provoking, quality lyrics.

I hope this reassures you a bit! Either way, I guess we'll just have to wait for the first single for any REAL indication of what it's going to be like.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm excited at the possibility of a weird album from Gaslight.
Back to top Go down
lo
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
lo

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 6:54 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
thomas94 wrote:
Haven't posted here for a longer time, my excuses for that. I'll try to be on the forum more regularly now.

Anyway, my excitement for the new album is growing day by day. Since there was this well-known statement, where they told the upcoming album would the "weird" one, I'm kinda beginning to worry a little. Because I'm starting to take this statement about creating something "weird" as the band trying to get into really different directions in order to gain new inspiration/creativity.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna stop their musical progress..I just wouldn't like to see the band getting lost in some style/sound using synthesizers or something that really doesn't fit them.  Wink Has anyone of you guys ever had similar thoughts?

Their clear guitar sounds and the honest lyrics have always been what I loved the band for. I'd really hate to see the band losing these attributes. I mean, there's more than one band out there that tried to create "artificial creativity" by using stuff that didn't reflect their music.

I think any time a band mentions that they're gonna do something weird or different it's hard not to be a little worried that you won't like the direction they take, but based on what they've said and what's happened with them in the past, I don't think you need to be too worried. I say this for a couple reasons:

1) When they said it would be the "weird" album, they compared it to when Pearl Jam released "No Code". If this comparison holds true then I think this album will be great because that'll mean it'll be different enough to be interesting and stand out from the rest, but still sound enough like them that they won't "lose their sound".

2) Did you like Elsie? That was different and involved keys and other stuff and personally I think it's the best album Brian's ever been apart of. I wouldn't be surprised if the new album blends TGA with THC in some aspects given what came out about the guys wanting to be apart of that, or wishing they'd put it out or whatever it was they said.

3) If you're worried about honest lyrics look at Brian's most recent work with Molly and the Zombies. That's probably the best indicator of where he's at lyrically and those are definitely honest, thought provoking, quality lyrics.

I hope this reassures you a bit! Either way, I guess we'll just have to wait for the first single for any REAL indication of what it's going to be like.

Very well-said. Slow clapping right now.
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 7:48 pm

Yeah, I really expect something like a mashup of recent Gaslight (Hold You Up EP, Halloween, 45RPM Year Two) and THC, which should I'm more than okay with.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 8:04 pm

shelby speaks the truth
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 4:09 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
thomas94 wrote:

Thanks for your words, Shelby. It's not like I'm sure they'll get lost in directions they don't belong in, I just thought that could happen. The comparison to Pearl Jam sounds promising though, didn't keep that in my mind.  Wink 

And yeah, I did like Elsie. But if I reflect my impressions on this album after 2 1/2 years since the release, I do not like it as much as any of the Gaslight albums. Eventhough I consider Elsie as a really noteworthy album.

Let's just hope you are right about the "weird" album. Possibly this was just Brian's idea of the upcoimng album before they really had many concrete concepts/songs.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 6:21 pm

Maybe ''weird'' is good, who knows xD
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 8:28 pm

4/17/14 (Day 29 in studio)

Instagram

http://instagram.com/p/m6Jkl8xZn3/
click for photo:

http://instagram.com/p/m6RLNJDtpG/
click for photo:

http://instagram.com/p/m65SPuCumZ/
click for photo:

http://instagram.com/p/m69PVNxZqy/
click for photo:

http://instagram.com/p/m6-fUHxZr8/
click for photo:
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 4:48 am

Honestly, Handwritten was a fucking appalling excuse for music. There I said it. I hope this record can surpass at least that. I really don't want these guys to be one of those "that band that had a couple of good early albums but got a bit shit."
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 12:21 pm

The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:
Honestly, Handwritten was a fucking appalling excuse for music. There I said it. I hope this record can surpass at least that. I really don't want these guys to be one of those "that band that had a couple of good early albums but got a bit shit."

I wouldn't call it an appalling excuse for music. Even though I wasn't a huge fan (I liked it well enough), I think it's proof that even some of Gaslight's weaker stuff is better than a lot of other band's strong stuff. I do agree with the sentiment, though, that I need the next record to be better than that. I hope they don't get the "couple of good album then shit" too.

And regarding the weird stuff...somebody said it earlier (was it Shelby? I think it was Shelby), Elsie is the best thing Brian's been apart of. My top 5 favorite albums list changes with my mood, but Elsie is usually lingering in the 1 or 2 spot (it switches the honor with The Hold Steady's Separation Sunday).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 2:35 pm

Handwritten was good. The quality level of every Gaslight and HC record is so close together that it's almost negligible to me
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 2:41 pm

jzancan wrote:

I wouldn't call it an appalling excuse for music.  Even though I wasn't a huge fan (I liked it well enough), I think it's proof that even some of Gaslight's weaker stuff is better than a lot of other band's strong stuff.  I do agree with the sentiment, though, that I need the next record to be better than that.  I hope they don't get the "couple of good album then shit" too.

I think appalling is a bit of a stretch too, but I completely disagree that Gaslights "weaker" stuff is better than other bands strong stuff. Brian went from clever despite being riddled with cliches style of writing to just bland in Handwritten. Despite working with Brendan O'Brien, I don't think the sound of Handwritten is anything that a band with a few years of guitar lessons couldn't come up with on their own. As the saying goes, "you can't polish a turd" and I think saying it's better than most other bands good stuff is a bit disingenuous.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 2:56 pm

rumham wrote:
jzancan wrote:

I wouldn't call it an appalling excuse for music.  Even though I wasn't a huge fan (I liked it well enough), I think it's proof that even some of Gaslight's weaker stuff is better than a lot of other band's strong stuff.  I do agree with the sentiment, though, that I need the next record to be better than that.  I hope they don't get the "couple of good album then shit" too.

I think appalling is a bit of a stretch too, but I completely disagree that Gaslights "weaker" stuff is better than other bands strong stuff.  Brian went from clever despite being riddled with cliches style of writing to just bland in Handwritten.  Despite working with Brendan O'Brien, I don't think the sound of Handwritten is anything that a band with a few years of guitar lessons couldn't come up with on their own.  As the saying goes, "you can't polish a turd" and I think saying it's better than most other bands good stuff is a bit disingenuous.    

Wink 

Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 4:06 pm

Honestly, Handwritten was a fucking appalling excuse for music.

Honestly? One of my favorite albums by anyone. Opinions are fun!  sunny 

From Bruce Springsteen's site re: Nashville:

" But the encores started last night with the elegiac “The Wall,” dedicated to “Brian” (presumably Brian Fallon of The Gaslight Anthem, who was in the house and who had previously expressed an interest in covering the song)."
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 4:52 pm

rumham wrote:
jzancan wrote:

I think appalling is a bit of a stretch too, but I completely disagree that Gaslights "weaker" stuff is better than other bands strong stuff.  Brian went from clever despite being riddled with cliches style of writing to just bland in Handwritten.  Despite working with Brendan O'Brien, I don't think the sound of Handwritten is anything that a band with a few years of guitar lessons couldn't come up with on their own.  As the saying goes, "you can't polish a turd" and I think saying it's better than most other bands good stuff is a bit disingenuous.    

Maybe so. Perhaps a more accurate statement is "Gaslight's weaker stuff is still better than a lot of other bands in general." While I realize that still may seem critically disingenuous, I'm speaking solely out of personal taste. To use a beer analogy: Stone IPA (59 Sound) might be my favorite beer, but I'll still take a Natty Boh (Handwritten) over a Sam Adams (Foo Fighters) any day.

(I used Foo Fighters only because everybody seems to love the fucking Foo Fighters.)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 5:31 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

" But the encores started last night with the elegiac “The Wall,” dedicated to “Brian” (presumably Brian Fallon of The Gaslight Anthem, who was in the house and who had previously expressed an interest in covering the song)."

Awesome.

And on the subject of Handwritten: with a little nip and tuck, I feel like it could have been their best album. But as of now, it's my least favorite.
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 6:42 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

I'm sure he meant he meant Brian Fallon. There you go:

Their relationship to Springsteen is more than strange. Thought that chapter would have been closed after Brian's statement in July (after the NYC show)  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 7:04 pm

4/18/14 (Day 30 in studio)

Tweets

Quote :
@gaslightanthem: And the great pack-up begins...

Instagram

http://instagram.com/p/m8lMssDttH/
click for photo:

http://instagram.com/p/m8nyX-Aq1K/
click for photo:

http://instagram.com/p/m8u_1uAqx4/
click for photo:

http://instagram.com/p/m6tBGlgq5G/
click for photo:

http://instagram.com/p/m9OapIDCzu/
click for photo:

http://instagram.com/p/m9h2h-xZo4/
click for photo:

Last edited by Debonair on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:57 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 7:21 pm

thomas94 wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

Their relationship to Springsteen is more than strange. Thought that chapter would have been closed after Brian's statement in July (after the NYC show)  Very Happy

Yeah but are they not allowed to have a relationship with him just because they don't want to be constantly compared to/associated with him ALL the time? Besides, as Brian said at the 2nd Crossroads show, he's not gonna let it stop him from doing what he wants (play Bruce covers, attend shows, whatever). I think it's cool that Bruce dedicated this song to him. Even though they're like pals now, stuff like this probably never gets old. Thanks for posting the video.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 7:31 pm

thomas94 wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

wow it's great that Bruce dedicate this song to Brian Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bigbug
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 8:55 pm

[quote="thomas94"]
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

I'm sure he meant he meant Brian Fallon.

This piqued my interest and I found the following tidbit on http://www.springsteenlyrics.com/lyrics/t/thewall.php

In a December 2013 interview for Rolling Stone, Bruce Springsteen told Andy Greene that "Brian Fallon from Gaslight Anthem called just a little bit after we cut it saying, 'Hey, I've been thinking about cutting this song.' And I said, 'We just cut it for our next record.'"
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 3:51 am

New record finished according to Instagram post early on Saturday morning here in the UK.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 3:56 am

and the wait begins. next step is mixing! funnnnn. and mastering is even more exciting!!!
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 4:03 am

I may keep the daily updates going till they leave Nashville after that -done. But no more "day x in studio". An nice round 30. Also if anyone wants to double check the master list on page one. Anything you think should be added and or even removed from It. I think I got all of the "main" stuff at the very least.... 

Let the waiting begin bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 20 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)
Page 20 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24 ... 28  Next