DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Hold Steady

Go down 
+59
23Punk
Rock bus
MKULTRA
jzancan
Thunder Peel
Hanswurst
beholdhurricanej
bringiton_ty
dmcraig
Klown
QuizzlyBear
kissthebottle
MikeSig
JJW319
OldManShoes3
NYYFAN523
gtalbott
DeathoftheCool
Keeb631
loazis
Grant Michael
Harbortown
ThisMachineKillsFascists
LuceroDiehard
Jay
Matilda Noir
StopAndSlideToTheRight
The Angry Johnny Revue
enola
kein_gerede
fullcollapse
steady now steady now
janet.
simo
Reinvent good times
CluckyB
mescalero
BostonMike
Angry Johnny
Asleepontheforestfloor
curly
JoshRaymond
Daire
Jack
borrowedcar
IKeeptheDiner
stupendoussven
PFREEZY
colmillionaire
Holland
samuelhw
TonyRockyHorror
The Dude
stephendgaf
Refused
Jukebox Romeo
billy pilgrim
Stalls_Standing
mark_275
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

The Hold Steady - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 11:33 pm

I'm sure it'd be a good show. Just probably not anywhere near the same intensity of a Hold Steady show.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 11:44 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
I'm in the same boat for tomorrow's show in SF. Shiiiiiiit

are you thinking about going to the Bottom of the Hill one? Just an added bonus, it hands down the best venue ever.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 11:44 pm

simo wrote:
I'm sure it'd be a good show. Just probably not anywhere near the same intensity of a Hold Steady show.

Obviously not. Its still Craig Finn playing music. I'm sure it will be its own flavor of magical.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 11:45 pm

Yeah, definitely.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 12:18 am

Really wanted to catch one of his solo shows, and he was/is doing plenty within a reasonable distance of where I live but all are 18/21+.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 am

Did you guys see his Tiny Desk concert? It was really great although I'm pretty sure his guitar was out of tune and it bugged me. Played an unreleased song, too.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 1:16 am

His guitar was definitely out of tune haha. And yeah gospelchoir i was thinking about going to bottom of the hill but my friend bailed and since I'm 17 I can't drive past 11, so it's a sticky situation
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 1:17 am

Pedal Steel guitar on the tiny desk concert is great!
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 5:30 am

"Own flavor of magic" certainly summed up his show well. I don't think it quite topped a regular Hold Steady show, but it was still all kinds of fantastic. Finn actually looked a little more in place than he does with THS (he has always struck me as the rock star that looks the least like a rockstar). Stuck with solo stuff (except for an amazing cover of Jesus Save Me to close out the night), but included a bunch of stuff not on the record which were as good as if not better than most stuff on the actual record (especially Keep On Running and Jeremiah's Blues). If you have a chance to go see him, definitely do so. If you had a chance and missed it, start work on building a time machine =)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 4:55 pm

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45771-the-hold-steadys-craig-finn-makes-his-own-beer/

url says it all
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 5:03 pm

This is amazing news, i need a crate of this!!
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm gonna be seeing these guys live tomorrow night, which I'm stoked for because THS areright up there with Gaslight, Lucero, and Drive-By Truckers in being my all time favourite bands and a cut above the rest. It made me realise I haven't really listened to any of their songs for a good 3 or 4 months. Giving Craig Finn's solo record the first listen in a couple of months as well and it's better than I remembered, No Future is definitely a solid track that I over looked.
Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gtalbott

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 7:04 pm

2nd fav current band behind TGA. Finn's lyrics are epic literature...Separation Sunday might be the best lyrical album of the last decade.
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 7:12 pm

gtalbott wrote:
2nd fav current band behind TGA. Finn's lyrics are epic literature...Separation Sunday might be the best lyrical album of the last decade.

THIS. Except I personally like Heaven is Whenever and Stay Positive more.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 7:27 pm

NYYFAN523 wrote:
gtalbott wrote:

I think I just might like Stay Positive more than Sink or Swim and American Slang, there I said it! Twisted Evil

Interesting you say that about Heaven is Whenever because the general impression I get from HS fans all round is it's their weakest work. I for one have a funny relationship with that album. I have known and liked The Hold Steady since I first heard Your Little Hoodrat Friend on some skating video game when I was 8 or 9 but it wasn't until I randomly decided to listen to HIW on an aeroplane when I recognized the name "The Hold Steady" on Air New Zealands surprisingly diverse music in-flight music selection, two years ago that I fell in love. I spent the next few months discovering all of THS's other albums and realised that by comparison HIW was nowhere near as impressive and in turn began to dislike the album. As I've gone back to THS in the last couple of days after taking a 3 or 4 months break I'm really digging it again for the first time in years.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 8:15 pm

I think Heaven is Whenever is really strong lyrically but held back a bit by the production.
Back to top Go down
OldManShoes3
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
OldManShoes3

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 8:28 pm

NYYFAN523 wrote:
gtalbott wrote:

I'm definitely with you on that. I started with Stay Positive and loved it, so I worked backwards but didn't really like the other albums. I don't know why, I guess I could never get used to the "sing-speak" or whatever it's called. But I eventually got Heaven is Whenever and loved it. The title track is one of their best songs in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gtalbott

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 8:40 pm

OldManShoes3 wrote:
NYYFAN523 wrote:
gtalbott wrote:

I'm definitely with you on that. I started with Stay Positive and loved it, so I worked backwards but didn't really like the other albums. I don't know why, I guess I could never get used to the "sing-speak" or whatever it's called. But I eventually got Heaven is Whenever and loved it. The title track is one of their best songs in my opinion.

Took time for me to warm up to the barking sing-speak of early albums...but seriously: Separation Sunday. Best lyrical album from a modern band I've ever heard. If anything, just read the lyrics like a book.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 10:39 pm

I literally didn't even hear of them until last year. Saw that they had 5 albums and tried to do it right. Got all of them in order, listened to each for a few weeks before moving on. At this point Boys and Girls is probably my favorite release from the gang.
Back to top Go down
OldManShoes3
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
OldManShoes3

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 1:35 am

gtalbott wrote:
OldManShoes3 wrote:
NYYFAN523 wrote:
gtalbott wrote:

Took time for me to warm up to the barking sing-speak of early albums...but seriously: Separation Sunday. Best lyrical album from a modern band I've ever heard. If anything, just read the lyrics like a book.

Yeah I definitely agree about the lyrics. I just need to force myself to listen to Separation Sunday a bunch of times and it'll probably grow on me, but I've never really had the desire to try that. I do love How a Resurrection Really Feels though.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 2:19 am

I love the album but I'll admit Seperation Sunday does blend into one long "shouting a story over music" session but there are a few hidden gems there if you look hard enough such as Your Little Hoodrat Friend, Banging Camp and as you mentioned HARRF.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 5:32 pm

Was great to see the world's best bar in band in an actual bar. The atmosphere was a lot better than the last THS show I went to, and I got to briefly chat to Tad after the show.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 5:53 pm

I've seen them twice. Once in a club and once at an outdoor festival. Gotta admit they were surprisingly great in both situations. Usually I'm not a big festival fan, but something about THS closing out a hot summer evening outside was perfect. Although they weren't originally slated to headline but got moved into the spot when The Roots cancelled.

Do they have anyone playing keys these days? I wish they'd bring that back, although the 3 guitar lineup does rock.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 5:58 pm

I'd kill for keys again, but not just that also the crazy presence Franz brings to the band and the way he and Craig bounce off of each other. With the exception of Sequestered in Memphis where it took me a while to even realise they were playing that song, it's surprisingly not too lacking without keys.
Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gtalbott

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 6:49 pm

Caught them in Seattle in October and in Omaha mid-June. Craig is one of the best showmen in rock today! And they mostly make up for lack of keys with the addition of Steve as 3rd guitar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Hold Steady
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next