DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th

Go down 
+10
Jerseyrain
prettyontheinsidex
njguy99
beholdhurricanej
Shrewsbury_Stars
Grant Michael
thebiglebowski
smetz224
ral
crutchfield
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
crutchfield
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 1:32 pm

In my wildest fantasy, chuck ragan or chris wollard does a quck suprise set since theyre playing just down the street. Its pretty gully to not have an opener. I guess they could either have a suprise or just play a really long set. Either way i cannot wait.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 1:44 pm

I love Chuck. Wollard would be cool too but not the same.

To further your fantasy, they could play Tin Pan Alley with Wollard singing the Amazing Grace part in the background (pretty sure that is who that is).

But I can't imagine the venues being too happy with someone they booked playing a show down the street before they do. I don't think it is very likely. Like, not at all likely.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Or I guess "Meet you in the Middle" with Brian singing his parts.

Or all of them.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 1:47 pm

I close on a new house at 2:30 today...Gotta try not to get too slammed!! Moving tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
crutchfield
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Congratulations on the house man! If i see a jawbreaker shirt ill bring you a drink!
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 9:12 am

Come on 313, let's hear about this show!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-gaslight-anthem/2012/saint-andrews-hall-detroit-mi-3dd99e3.html

#
Boomboxes and Dictionaries Play Video
#
American Slang Play Video
#
Howl Play Video
#
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues Play Video
#
'45' Play Video
#
Handwritten Play Video
#
Wherefore Art Thou, Elvis? Play Video
#
Wooderson Play Video
#
Meet Me by the River's Edge Play Video
#
Keepsake Play Video
#
Angry Johnny and the Radio Play Video
#
The Patient Ferris Wheel Play Video
#
The '59 Sound Play Video
#
Film Noir Play Video
#
SeƱor and the Queen Play Video
#
Blue Dahlia Play Video
#
The Queen of Lower Chelsea Play Video
#
Mulholland Drive Play Video
#
Mae Play Video
#
The Backseat Play Video
# Encore:
#
State of Love and Trust Play Video
(Pearl Jam cover)
#
Sliver Play Video
(Nirvana cover)
#
Biloxi Parish Play Video
#
Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts Play Video
# Encore 2:
#
The Diamond Church Street Choir Play Video
#
Here's Looking at You, Kid Play Video
#
Great Expectations Play Video
Back to top Go down
crutchfield
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 9:49 am

Man it was great. They packed st andrews. Had half than that many people when i saw them with franl turner there but that was three years ago. Much different crowd too. Everyone was cool and the vibe was good. Ive been to alot of shows at st andrews but that was the first time i saw a band play without an opener...which im kind of indifferent about. On one hand it gives gla more time to play but on the other hand watching an opener kind of builds anticipation and gaslight has a long track record of bringing along great supporting bands. There was some weird moments too. Girls definitely and understandably fawn hard over the guys. This one girl spent have the show leaned over the balcony trying desperately to get the band to look at her. At one point a small group of guys in front of my started pointing to her and asking to see her "tits"...which bummed me out. But whatever. All in all a good show. Was stoked to hear sliver. They do it far better justice live.

Lebowski i saw you crossing the street in front of my car after the show. Presuming you were the only one in a salty dog jawbreaker shirt. I was tempted to yell out at you but didnt want to weird out your group. Hope you had fun.
Back to top Go down
beholdhurricanej
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 10:11 am

wow wow wow amazing setlist, i'm jealous of everyone who went! Meet Me By The River's Edge is back, two encores. i can't believe I'm missing them in Oakland.
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 10:11 am

I'm not in the 313 but I did attend the show last night. Anyways, I just fixed the setlist on setlist.fm. 1930 and We Came To Dance opened the second encore. Everything else looks right. There was no opener, so the band just played for 2 hrs (29 songs). At some point early Brian commented about the Hot Water Music show down the street, something along the lines of no one asked about combining the shows and maybe they needed to get more involved in some things. Most, if not all, of the new songs got a great reaction from the crowd. It was kind of surprising which songs warranted freak outs while some of the older songs seemed relatively unknown (at least up front).

Some other notes:
-Boomboxes seemed a touch slower.
-Elvis -> Wooderson had the usual segue. As expected, it was awesome.
-Before River's Edge, Brian said they hadn't played it in a while and wasn't sure how it'd turn out. He then asked Ian if he was ready and received a shrug accompanied by a hilarious look that wasn't exactly a look of confidence.
-The Angry Johnny tag was Jesus Christ by Brand New
-SeƱor had a cool guitar back and forth between Brian and Alex before the actual song started.
-Blue Dahlia was way more rocking than the album version. Definitely a highlight. Hopefully someone gets video at a show in the near future.
-Brian botched the lyrics to a few songs, most notably State of Love and Trust. It's ok though, I don't think most of the people knew it anyways. Benny and I definitely laughed at him though.
-"Now we're going to play a couple old ones" to open the second encore.
-1930 should really be played at every show. I've seen 16 shows and this was only the third time I've heard it and the first since 2009. So good.

I'm probably forgetting some things but that's a start. Really wish this was part of a headlining tour and not just a one off. Seeing only one show is kind of bittersweet.

Detroit Rock City 9-14-12
st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Tga20120914
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks for all the details guys. Sounds awesome!
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Did anyone go on to the HWM show afterwards?
Back to top Go down
prettyontheinsidex
A Contender
A Contender
prettyontheinsidex

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 1:03 pm

That setlist is incredible. Very jealous...I've always wanted to hear meet me by the rivers edge and they finally played Sliver live! That would make me so happy of I was there lol
Back to top Go down
crutchfield
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 10:07 pm

njguy99 wrote:

I was saturated in sweat. Had to go home and shower.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 3:21 am

crutchfield wrote:
njguy99 wrote:

I was saturated in sweat. Had to go home and shower.

Isn't that the definition of a HWM show? Smile
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 8:33 am

What. A. Setlist. I hope we get Rivers Edge, Ferris Wheel and Blue Dahlia on the UK tour...
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
ilockyer
A Contender
A Contender
ilockyer

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Great setlist, shows of the 2hr length is about what we got in 2010 at Hammersmith etc, be great to see that continue. Oh, and play Desire too.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Yeah. Great show. Great setlist. I think one opener is perfect. I was just starting my second beer as the band went on. Felt kinda weird. Usually have a buzz going before they start.

Crutchfield you coulda yelled but whatever. I was heading back to Greektown to crash at a hotel room.

Why doesn't he sing the "funny how the night moves" line anymore? Maybe that was covered in a different thread.
Back to top Go down
crutchfield
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 1:23 pm

I dont know why he quit singing that part but hes been adding some lyrics from alkaline trio - warbrain. Good song as well bit being from michigan i loved the seeger nod.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 2:27 pm

I think I remember him doing "lost in the supermarket" by the Clash during that part too before. Maybe that was during another song. Definitely heard them play it, though.

I just kinda wondered if he can do Brand New because Interscope and Mercury are both under Universal but the label told them to stop promoting other bands through their lyrics.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 2:49 pm

I highly doubt the label told him to stop promoting other bands through their lyrics.... That seems to be a ridiculous request/un-supported claim as well
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 12:49 am

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
I highly doubt the label told him to stop promoting other bands through their lyrics.... That seems to be a ridiculous request/un-supported claim as well

"I just kinda wonder" = my disclaimer that I am making a guess at why.

And it is circumstantial, but given that Sliver, State of Love and Trust, and You Got Lucky in addition to that Brand New song are all from labels under the Universal imprint, it seems to me like it fits.

Majors do whacky things.
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 1:08 am

thebiglebowski wrote:
rkirkpatrick25 wrote:

And it is circumstantial, but given that Sliver, State of Love and Trust, and You Got Lucky in addition to that Brand New song are all from labels under the Universal imprint, it seems to me like it fits.

Majors do whacky things.

if anything, it's coincidence. there have been plenty of other covers / snippets from other bands played recently. Bon Iver, Paul Westerberg, Fake Problems, The Animals, DMB.

also, State of Love and Trust was released on Epic/Sony.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 1:34 am

Yeah, you are right. I saw that Pearl Jam has some material on Universal, but I guess not that one.

Some of those covers you listed are fairly old. But anyways, I guess if they can play SOLAT then that blows my theory. Not really plausible they could play one and not the other.

Maybe he just doesn't want to sing it anymore. I don't know. I kinda liked the idea of a new song line everytime they come through town and hopefully something I know. But even if it was just the original line, that's better than the humming.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 1:46 am

ral wrote:
thebiglebowski wrote:
rkirkpatrick25 wrote:

Majors do whacky things.

if anything, it's coincidence. there have been plenty of other covers / snippets from other bands played recently. Bon Iver, Paul Westerberg, Fake Problems, The Animals, DMB.

also, State of Love and Trust was released on Epic/Sony.

Maybe they're only covering songs with the letter "E" in the band name
cyclops
Back to top Go down
AHPearls
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 11:39 am

What a fantastic show! This was only my 2nd Gaslight show (1st being at Lollapalooza 6 weeks ago), and I was surprised & delighted to be treated to 2 hours & 29 songs. Heck, I was thrilled after the first encore - to get 5 additional songs just blew me away! Being a forum newbie, I must confess that I didn't even know TGA existed until about 6 months ago, so to go from that to (a) becoming a huge fan and (b) hearing them play so much of their catalogue in just 2 shows makes me feel like I've hit the lottery.

p.s. - Given my ignorance of TGA until recently, it seems necessary to add that NO, I don't live under a rock! (No doubt some of you were wondering about that.) Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th   st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

st andrews hall Det. Sep 14th
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next