DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]

Go down 
+112
simo
BossTime
azlisa
biggs
TheDTYP
macci
DaisyLu
JukeboxJuliet
shredderrrrrr
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
PPQ
JenF
Bobul
katechampagne
onbackstreetsinbackseats
moreblue
gchestney
BKO5950505
23Punk
AndWithTheWindowDown
njguy99
Unorthadox1080
Shrewsbury_Stars
B701
loazis
HaveMercyMae
bringiton
ccr_2108
bt211
Jack
Labhras
Harbortown
HolyBreakOfDay
Steve70s
chigurh
TooMuchGaslight
jensomniac
PennStateRLZ
CapedAvenger
Anya_TGA
cdala
No Retreat
Chappers
dmckella1
Holland
kappanera
kristyn
Keele
lol_paul_ledoux
magnificentdreamer
ral
Boy From Little Eden
danny4690
nebraska
Kasia
JimmyB
jonnyz83
DeathoftheCool
MKULTRA
SouthJerseyTGA
Mountie
sinkorswimmydear
SirBrad
JacksSmirkingRevenge
borrowedcar
jzancan
HorribleCrowe
CasanovaBaby90
Hasler09
ivienco
rumham
pepperedham
The_M23
NotLikeWeBleed
mingus
bradleyjp
White Man In Hammersmith
The_River
33RPMHero
Christophe
Jaws
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
mja271
miked331
bringiton_ty
Jerseyrain
zerb012345
The Angry Johnny Revue
riversedge
StateOfMind
steady now steady now
Vanderlyle Geek
The Last Jukebox Romeo
bobbyjames
Prisoner
Hanswurst
crsmsi
StitchesOnTheRadio
colmillionaire
Yozzy
pleasepassthesoup
Thunder Peel
enola
Casey
TGAFAN25
NervousFeet
TGA30
bigbug
RobertODonnell
Debonair
Franco3088
116 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
AuthorMessage
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 10:17 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread to discuss this, but does anyone have any thoughts on the meaning behind Underneath the Ground? That's the only track that really has me guessing on the meaning behind it.

The first few times I listened to it, my thoughts went to that infamous tumblr post after the NY show (and other recent fan backlash).

I could be way off, but just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 10:25 pm

CutToRibbons wrote:
Not sure if this is the right thread to discuss this, but does anyone have any thoughts on the meaning behind Underneath the Ground? That's the only track that really has me guessing on the meaning behind it.

The first few times I listened to it, my thoughts went to that infamous tumblr post after the NY show (and other recent fan backlash).

In Brian's Q&A here he addressed the misconception that the "I wanna thank you all for watching us bleed" line was aimed at the audience. He said it actually means people who watch a relationship end tragically and gossip about it but do nothing.
Back to top Go down
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 11:00 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
CutToRibbons wrote:

In Brian's Q&A here he addressed the misconception that the "I wanna thank you all for watching us bleed" line was aimed at the audience. He said it actually means people who watch a relationship end tragically and gossip about it but do nothing.

Thank you! I didn't read the Q&A yet, I'll need to do that. Makes much more sense with that explanation!
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 10:04 pm

Where is the 2nd Q&A with Brian posted?
Back to top Go down
macci
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 11:06 am

Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 12:37 pm

CutToRibbons wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:
CutToRibbons wrote:

Thank you! I didn't read the Q&A yet, I'll need to do that. Makes much more sense with that explanation!

It looks like this discussion was edited by admins. Are people's interpretations of songs being censored?
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 1:40 pm

I think Underneath the Ground is in a way a plea to an ex-lover, a hail mary in a way to try to get her back...

The protagonist in the is basically asking her what her perspective about him/their relationship would be if he were "Underneath the Ground". If I died, would all these fights/disagreements we've had seem like such a big deal or woudl we realize that we truly love each other and maybe this could work? Would you lay down with me, underneath the ground?

The outro of the song, is a jab at the friends/family who didn't step in to try to make things better, to show them that they were falling apart and instead watched it happen without letting either party know they were out of touch with the relatioships (or insert myriad of things friends see but don't mention because they're scared/not sure it's their place).

This song, to me, is perfect.

Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 1:43 pm

Someone brought up that "Dark Places" could be considered a sequel to "The backseat:. Discuss.
Back to top Go down
kappanera
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kappanera

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 3:03 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Someone brought up that "Dark Places" could be considered a sequel to "The backseat:.  Discuss.
Musically it has that vibe, but I don't think they're really much connected.
I've always seen Backseats as something that could be read both as a young romance or a friendship (like Backstreets)..Dark Places is clearly about a broken relationship,slowly dying.
Ok we can say Backseats-->love Dark Places-->no more love, but it's not enough, since the whole Get Hurt is related to this topic.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Didn't know where to post this but it is probably the best video I have seen since the release of 'Get Hurt.' Not sure if it's the interviewer's clear appreciation and knowledge of the band or the great choice of song they decided to play from the album.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 8:27 pm

The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:

Didn't know where to post this but it is probably the best video I have seen since the release of 'Get Hurt.' Not sure if it's the interviewer's clear appreciation and knowledge of the band or the great choice of song they decided to play from the album.

Razz  Oh man this is a winner. Those edits? the distracting music playing over the interview? And everything you just mentioned. I don't even know what I just watched.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 9:17 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:

Razz  Oh man this is a winner. Those edits? the distracting music playing over the interview? And everything you just mentioned. I don't even know what I just watched.

This could be a Tim and Eric sketch
Back to top Go down
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 12:39 am

Robin Williams reference dropped by Benny. ILLUMINATI.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 12:50 am

Is it me or has their been fuck all press related stuff like interviews and radio performances and stuff to promote the album compared to previous releases?
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 3:15 am

The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:
Is it me or has their been fuck all press related stuff like interviews and radio performances and stuff to promote the album compared to previous releases?

i think that has to do with the fact that their tour hasn't started yet which is when they've done most of that type of stuff in the past
Back to top Go down
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 9:11 am

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
CutToRibbons wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:
CutToRibbons wrote:

It looks like this discussion was edited by admins. Are people's interpretations of songs being censored?

Uh okay, my first reply to this was deleted? I'll try this again.
I just wanted to confirm that yes, somehow this was edited, and I'm not entirely sure why.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 11:36 am

CutToRibbons wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
CutToRibbons wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:
CutToRibbons wrote:

Uh okay, my first reply to this was deleted? I'll try this again.
I just wanted to confirm that yes, somehow this was edited, and I'm not entirely sure why.

You were sent a message with an explanation at the time of the edit. Please check the "messages" tab at the top of the page.
Back to top Go down
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 6:12 pm

Anyone know what happened to the Stay Vicious teaser video with Andy Diamond spitting beer out of his mouth? Can't seem to find it anymore.
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 6:50 pm

CasanovaBaby90 wrote:
Anyone know what happened to the Stay Vicious teaser video with Andy Diamond spitting beer out of his mouth? Can't seem to find it anymore.

nothing?

Back to top Go down
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 7:32 pm

Thanks.. Was looking at their Vevo account and not that one.
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 10:30 am

So after more or less a month of listening this record has grown a lot on my.
Nevertheless i stand by the statement that this is the record which manifests my departure from being a TGA-fanboy. I still like TGA, thought.

My Opinion:

This record is so much better when playing at night around 3am or so and doing nothing but listening to the music and dark lyrics.

Otherwise it's a more or less solid record which (again after Handwritten) could have been so much better if they weren't going for this polished stadium rock sound.
..Lyrically it has its highs which may also come close to American Slang or Elsie (In my opinion Brians best work as a Songwriter) and even the cheesy lines are way above most stuff on Handwritten.
BUT musically this record just bores the hell out of me. The first 3 Records had so much going on musically but on Get Hurt i feel like they run out of ideas (funny they say that they tried so much new experimental stuff i can't seem to find) All the Loud/Quiet Parts are interesting if just the songs would go further from there and not quit evolving after 1:50 or so.. And Alex R. quitting to do his solowork as a kinda second melodie line next to Brians singing and instead hiding behind those stoner-rock-riffs doesn't make this better for me. Alex L.'s bass playing has improved a lot, thought.

After all i don't hate Get Hurt like i did when it came out but still i am disappointed that the weird/experimental sound the guys talked about before the release just seems to be a cheese pop-sound with polished stonerish guitar work.

Favorites are:
Underneath the Ground
Rollin and Tumblin
Dark Places
Selected Poems

Still ok:
Ain't that a Shame
Helter Skeleton
Get Hurt
1,000 Years
Stay Vicious

Meeh:
Have Mercy
Mama's Boys
Halloween(at least this recording)

Forgettable:
Red Violins
Stray Paper
Break Your Heart
Sweet Morphine
Back to top Go down
TheDTYP
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 12:00 am

I, for one, was completely blown away by Have Mercy. TGA are masters of the slow song, let me tell you. Definitely my favorite song of the album. Dat piano doe.
If that doesn't count, being a bonus and all, I'd say... Hmm... I don't know, that's tough. I'd say Helter Skeleton or Break Your Heart. I really can't decide which is better, I mean, on one end you have the awesome, catchy as all hell Helter Skeleton that gets me rocking out whenever I hear it, or Break Your Heart, which is one of the best sounding, instrumentally, songs TGA has ever produced in my opinion. Some of the background sounds like the faint guitar during the last parts of the song have me memorized.
Sweet Morphine is another one that I really enjoyed. I really love the lyrics and the piano was worked into the music seamlessly. Honestly, I think Gaslight would sound even better than they already do if they used some more piano, I feel like Have Mercy and Sweet Morphine indicate they could make a really great sound with it.
Rollin' and Tumblin' is awesome
Get Hurt is badass
1,000 Years is another great one.
Those are the ones that REALLY stood out for me. Of course you have other greats like Stay Vicious, Stray Paper, and Selected Poems. Really, the only one I thought was weak was Underneath the Ground. I don't know. It's definitely just me, because everyone else LOVES it, but I just can't get into it! I'm sorry! Still a good song considering what else is out right now, music-wise.
All in all, I loved the album, I think it's BS that some reviewers don't like it.
Back to top Go down
pepperedham
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pepperedham

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 12:57 am

Hanswurst wrote:
And Alex R. quitting to do his solowork as a kinda second melodie line next to Brians singing and instead hiding behind those stoner-rock-riffs doesn't make this better for me. Alex L.'s bass playing has improved a lot, thought.

Stoner rock riffs?
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 12:24 am

Stay Vicious would be the only stoner riff on the album, yeah
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 1:44 am

I seriously can't get over how much I love Sweet Morphine. I think it is all because of the slide guitar. The slide guitar in the track just hits me in my heart.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]
Page 19 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next