DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]

Go down 
+112
simo
BossTime
azlisa
biggs
TheDTYP
macci
DaisyLu
JukeboxJuliet
shredderrrrrr
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
PPQ
JenF
Bobul
katechampagne
onbackstreetsinbackseats
moreblue
gchestney
BKO5950505
23Punk
AndWithTheWindowDown
njguy99
Unorthadox1080
Shrewsbury_Stars
B701
loazis
HaveMercyMae
bringiton
ccr_2108
bt211
Jack
Labhras
Harbortown
HolyBreakOfDay
Steve70s
chigurh
TooMuchGaslight
jensomniac
PennStateRLZ
CapedAvenger
Anya_TGA
cdala
No Retreat
Chappers
dmckella1
Holland
kappanera
kristyn
Keele
lol_paul_ledoux
magnificentdreamer
ral
Boy From Little Eden
danny4690
nebraska
Kasia
JimmyB
jonnyz83
DeathoftheCool
MKULTRA
SouthJerseyTGA
Mountie
sinkorswimmydear
SirBrad
JacksSmirkingRevenge
borrowedcar
jzancan
HorribleCrowe
CasanovaBaby90
Hasler09
ivienco
rumham
pepperedham
The_M23
NotLikeWeBleed
mingus
bradleyjp
White Man In Hammersmith
The_River
33RPMHero
Christophe
Jaws
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
mja271
miked331
bringiton_ty
Jerseyrain
zerb012345
The Angry Johnny Revue
riversedge
StateOfMind
steady now steady now
Vanderlyle Geek
The Last Jukebox Romeo
bobbyjames
Prisoner
Hanswurst
crsmsi
StitchesOnTheRadio
colmillionaire
Yozzy
pleasepassthesoup
Thunder Peel
enola
Casey
TGAFAN25
NervousFeet
TGA30
bigbug
RobertODonnell
Debonair
Franco3088
116 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
AuthorMessage
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 3:53 am

I'm not sure if it was in this thread where the question was asked who the female singers on the album are. I just found this for Stray Paper in an interview. Apologies if it has been posted already.

He was able to get the super-soulful Sharon Jones to contribute vocals for Get Hurt track “Stray Paper” before the singer took a break to recover from cancer. That was awfully cool he humbly admitted, especially how she goes ‘Yeah’ in the middle of the song. It’s so perfect, something you can’t copy.

https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t5630-the-gaslight-anthem-find-new-fire-a-heart-to-heart-with-brian-fallon#181495

Last edited by enola on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 9:37 am

I wish they mixed Sharon Jones' voice a little higher. It's a little lost as back ups, while she could have really brought something more if they mixed it more in front.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 1:14 am

I'm pretty sure (judging on what I see on these forums) my favorites on the album are not most people's favorites. Namely Stay Vicious, 1000 Years and Break Your Heart. Although I'd say Have Mercy is my favorite overall.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mike_Millburys_Shoe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Maybe I have bad taste, maybe I'm weird, but I really like Ain't That A Shame. Definitely not their best, or even the best on the album, but a lot of people were pegging it as their least favorite. After many many many spins, it's in the top half to the album ranking for me.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 5:00 pm

Mike_Millburys_Shoe wrote:
Maybe I have bad taste, maybe I'm weird, but I really like Ain't That A Shame. Definitely not their best, or even the best on the album, but a lot of people were pegging it as their least favorite. After many many many spins, it's in the top half to the album ranking for me.

Ain't That A Shame is on the bottom of my list, but I think I have bad taste in music too.  Because I've listened to Selected Poems maybe three times.  I can't do it.  Slogging through the first part of the song isn't worth the last part (which is really good, but I don't think it's as great the way others do).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 10:27 pm

I really like the song. I just don't like the "Ain't that a shhhaaAAMME?" at the end of the chorus. Makes me cringe a little.
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 10:31 pm

This album was exactly what I wanted in a new Gaslight record--something that is different, but still undeniably Gaslight. Underneath the Ground is a perfect example. When you hear it, any fan will know it is Gaslight Anthem (or at least Brian Fallon singing), yet it is jarringly different than any of their previous work. While such songs are hit or miss for me on this album, I'm stoked they are releasing stuff that will surprise.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 10:34 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:

I really like the song. I just don't like the "Ain't that a shhhaaAAMME?" at the end of the chorus. Makes me cringe a little.

Ain't That a Shame has grown on me, i especially like the part "Who do you love, who do you blame?" and then it starts picking up again from half time
Back to top Go down
Thunder Peel
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Thunder Peel

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 2:52 am

I really like that one too!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 3:23 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:

I love Ain't That A Shame. I don't know how high I'd rank it but it's probably the song that gets stuck in my head the most. I can see why the last "Ain't that a shhhaaAAMME?" can be annoying but I like the attitude behind it. Or at least, I hear attitude. Like with that line he's flat out mocking people.

I mean, I take this song to have a lot of attitude about people (specifically those gossiping) just going "ain't that a shame" to someone/something that's just absolutely falling apart before their eyes. Treating it as if it's no big thing, when in fact, it IS a big thing.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Ain't That A Shame is one of my favorites. Love the lyrics. "I learned the rules out with the wolves, I'm vicious now honey, cruel and unprincipled."

I actually really like the "aint that a shaaaAAAME" bit, it's a unique vocal choice for Fallon in a song that is otherwise pretty textbook Gaslight.

And the way he howls that last chorus gets my blood going every time.

Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2014 7:32 pm

What I just realized is this album is kind of a tale of two sides, when it comes to the "changing up the sound" thing. Like the first half of the record, there's not a single song that I could see being on another Gaslight album without having it make me perk my ears up and say wow, what's going on here..."1000 Years" is probably the most Gaslighty of those front 6 but there's even some stuff going on there that sounds new for them. It all builds up to "Underneath", the biggest departure for them yet. Then "Side B" starts with Rollin and Tumblin and ends in Dark Places, two songs that sound like signature Gaslight Anthem with no real innovation to their sound. And everything in between wouldn't sound out of place on one of their other records. Maybe "Selected Poems" but that's only because of the intro.

I think if they were to swap "Have Mercy" for "Break Your Heart" and throw in "Sweet Morphine" and "Mama's Boys" somewhere in the back part of the album, and maybe cut "R&T" or "Red Violins" (two songs that I love, but I'm going with the "make it sound new/different" theme) then this album wouldn't be getting all the "Brian Fallon said this would be different, but it sounds like any old Gaslight" reviews. Even if you dislike "Morphine" and "Mama's Boys", they are "different" sounding and expand on the sound of the band.

1. Stay Vicious
2. 1000 Years
3. Get Hurt
4. Stray Paper
5. Helter Skeleton
6. Underneath the Ground
7. Rollin and Tumblin
8. Sweet Morphine
9. Selected Poems
10. Mama's Boys
11. Ain't That A Shame
12. Have Mercy
13. Dark Places

^Something like that.
Back to top Go down
Thunder Peel
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Thunder Peel

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2014 8:43 pm

I really like the folk/acoustic tracks but they don't really fit in on the record. Ideally I would love an EP or follow-up of softer songs like Have Mercy and Sweet Morphine.
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2014 8:54 pm

I honestly can't believe I hate Break Your Heart, Mama's Boys, and Sweet Morphine.

I thought Gaslight could never do a ballad I didn't like, and MaTZ is probably my favourite Fallon release.

Edit - Have Mercy is like my favourite Gaslight song ever. So damn pretty. And free..

Razz 
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 4:40 pm

It just hit me.
The line in Have Mercy "now your pretty horses ..." might come from Wild Horses - Rolling stones. Since it was noted as an influence.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 9:49 pm

HorribleCrowe wrote:
It just hit me.
The line in Have Mercy "now your pretty horses ..." might come from Wild Horses - Rolling stones. Since it was noted as an influence.

Thoughts?

Quite possibly. I also suspect that this verse was partially inspired by Bob Dylan's All The Tired Horses from his Self-Portait LP. That song consists of a single verse, repeated over and over again (similar to the repetition of the last verse of Have Mercy):

All the tired horses in the sun
How am I supposed to get any riding done?

Back to top Go down
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 10:07 pm

HorribleCrowe wrote:
It just hit me.

Thoughts?

That's the song that comes to mind every time I hear those lines.
Back to top Go down
nebraska
A Contender
A Contender
nebraska

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 10:29 pm

HorribleCrowe wrote:
It just hit me.

Thoughts?

I thought that maybe that line comes from here, I thought that when I listened to have mercy for the first time.

Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 7:20 am

I have Ain't That A Shame since a couple of days spinning in my head lately... I really like the lyrics for this song.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 3:35 pm

I think "Underneath the Ground" is my favorite Gaslight Anthem song... Ever.

The story of the song within the context of the circumstances surrounding the album hits so hard. The lyrics are incredible. The delivery vocally is perfect.

The spoken part and variety in music throughout the song make this untouchably good.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 8:30 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
I think "Underneath the Ground" is my favorite Gaslight Anthem song... Ever.

The story of the song within the context of the circumstances surrounding the album hits so hard. The lyrics are incredible. The delivery vocally is perfect.

The spoken part and variety in music throughout the song make this untouchably good.

Really an unbelievable song.
"Did anybody see that? There's a crack right down my head. But mama how they'll cheer for us while the blood drips down our legs."

"I wanna caution you to watch out for the wolves, and the mad, mad weather. I wanna caution you...to watch out for the wolves...and for someday...when you're older..."

To be honest after Handwritten I was feeling a little low about Brian's future as a lyricist and this album, particularly songs like this and Stray Paper, have me thinking he's actually getting better somehow.

Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 9:53 pm

The whole "Save my life" line could have been inspired by the Elton John song "Someone saved my life tonight".
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 10:00 pm

I think either "Get Hurt", 1000 years, Have Mercy or "Break Your heart" may be my favorite Gaslight song ever.
Back to top Go down
DaisyLu
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
DaisyLu

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 10:11 pm

This album REALLY grows on you. I absolutely love it. It's different and I think that musicians should always grow. Benny's drumming is fucking RAD. Lyrics are evolving and times a changin!

Stray Paper is my favorite off of "Get Hurt"

Traveling from Portland Oregon to Oakland California to see some of my favorite musicians in a few weeks! CAN NOT WAIT!
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 3:16 am

just because one word or phrase is in one song doesn't mean it was inspired by an older song with that same word or phrase
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 18 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]
Page 18 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next