DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]

Go down 
+112
simo
BossTime
azlisa
biggs
TheDTYP
macci
DaisyLu
JukeboxJuliet
shredderrrrrr
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
PPQ
JenF
Bobul
katechampagne
onbackstreetsinbackseats
moreblue
gchestney
BKO5950505
23Punk
AndWithTheWindowDown
njguy99
Unorthadox1080
Shrewsbury_Stars
B701
loazis
HaveMercyMae
bringiton
ccr_2108
bt211
Jack
Labhras
Harbortown
HolyBreakOfDay
Steve70s
chigurh
TooMuchGaslight
jensomniac
PennStateRLZ
CapedAvenger
Anya_TGA
cdala
No Retreat
Chappers
dmckella1
Holland
kappanera
kristyn
Keele
lol_paul_ledoux
magnificentdreamer
ral
Boy From Little Eden
danny4690
nebraska
Kasia
JimmyB
jonnyz83
DeathoftheCool
MKULTRA
SouthJerseyTGA
Mountie
sinkorswimmydear
SirBrad
JacksSmirkingRevenge
borrowedcar
jzancan
HorribleCrowe
CasanovaBaby90
Hasler09
ivienco
rumham
pepperedham
The_M23
NotLikeWeBleed
mingus
bradleyjp
White Man In Hammersmith
The_River
33RPMHero
Christophe
Jaws
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
mja271
miked331
bringiton_ty
Jerseyrain
zerb012345
The Angry Johnny Revue
riversedge
StateOfMind
steady now steady now
Vanderlyle Geek
The Last Jukebox Romeo
bobbyjames
Prisoner
Hanswurst
crsmsi
StitchesOnTheRadio
colmillionaire
Yozzy
pleasepassthesoup
Thunder Peel
enola
Casey
TGAFAN25
NervousFeet
TGA30
bigbug
RobertODonnell
Debonair
Franco3088
116 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 11:47 am

pepperedham wrote:
Hanswurst wrote:
And Alex R. quitting to do his solowork as a kinda second melodie line next to Brians singing and instead hiding behind those stoner-rock-riffs doesn't make this better for me. Alex L.'s bass playing has improved a lot, thought.

Stoner rock riffs?

well yeah i'm not that much into stoner but a lot of the new tracks have those heavy guitars. Some reviewers called them metal-guitars but i wouldn't go that far so stoner-guitars seemed to be a way to call this. Anyways ya know what i mean, i hope:

T59's: Brians Guitar is waaaay in the backround, even not recognizable at some points (High Lonesome, The Patient Ferris Wheel) whereas Alex R.'s guitar line is sprinkling around all the time like another melodie line side by side with Brians singing

Get Hurt: We have a wall of two guitars (Brian & Ian) jamming powerchord-riffs. Alex R. still plays around with melodie lines a lot but it is (like Brian on T59's) way in the backround, kinda burried under the other stuff. I feel like Alex L.'s improved and more melodious bass playing replaces Alex R.'s lead-part at times.

At least thats what i hear, you may get a totally different "sound-feeling".
But my two cents are that with another production (espacially the way the guitars are mixed) i would enjoy this record far more than i do now. Wink
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 1:12 pm

Whoever calls a "fuzz guitar tone" Metal, or Stoner, as absolutly no clue what Stoner or Metal is IMHO.

If any of you think that the riffs on Get Hurt are close to KYUSS, or SLAYER, please have a second listen.

But maybe Jimi Hendrix, or Jimmy Page were playing Stoner or Metal, but nobody let me know.

Jack wrote:
Stay Vicious would be the only stoner riff on the album, yeah

Yes, it could be considered a stoner rock riff, but it honestly sounds nothing else than a typical grunge riff.
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Maybe I’m clueless when it comes to “stoner rock” or metal, but I don’t understand why these phrases are being thrown around with this album at all. Let’s just use Stay Vicious as an example since it appears to be the most obvious example of the sound in question.

Nothing about that song sounds remotely “metal” to me. It does not sound like an Ibanez being played in drop D tuning through a Line6 amp with squeels, chugging, and the like. It sounds like a damn rock riff. As in distorted power cords. It is nothing like Metallica, Slayer, etc.
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Hanswurst wrote:
pepperedham wrote:
Hanswurst wrote:
And Alex R. quitting to do his solowork as a kinda second melodie line next to Brians singing and instead hiding behind those stoner-rock-riffs doesn't make this better for me. Alex L.'s bass playing has improved a lot, thought.

Stoner rock riffs?

well yeah i'm not that much into stoner but a lot of the new tracks have those heavy guitars. Some reviewers called them metal-guitars but i wouldn't go that far so stoner-guitars seemed to be a way to call this. Anyways ya know what i mean, i hope:

T59's: Brians Guitar is waaaay in the backround, even not recognizable at some points (High Lonesome, The Patient Ferris Wheel) whereas Alex R.'s guitar line is sprinkling around all the time like another melodie line side by side with Brians singing

Get Hurt: We have a wall of two guitars (Brian & Ian) jamming powerchord-riffs. Alex R. still plays around with melodie lines a lot but it is (like Brian on T59's) way in the backround, kinda burried under the other stuff. I feel like Alex L.'s improved and more melodious bass playing replaces Alex R.'s lead-part at times.

But my two cents are that with another production (espacially the way the guitars are mixed) i would enjoy this record far more than i do now. Wink

I get what you’re saying here, but the “59 Sound” sound you’re referring to seems to be more of the outlier than the new “riff heavy” sound you mention is. I mean, the 59 Sound and American Slang (to a lesser extent) are the only albums that really have Brian’s guitar subdued with Alex’s leads dominating. Sink or Swim, Handwritten, and Get Hurt all have really heavy rhythm guitar pounding out riffs.
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2014 8:47 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Hanswurst wrote:
pepperedham wrote:
Hanswurst wrote:

Stoner rock riffs?

I get what you’re saying here, but the “59 Sound” sound you’re referring to seems to be more of the outlier than the new “riff heavy” sound you mention is. I mean, the 59 Sound and American Slang (to a lesser extent) are the only albums that really have Brian’s guitar subdued with Alex’s leads dominating. Sink or Swim, Handwritten, and Get Hurt all have really heavy rhythm guitar pounding out riffs.

so i just revisitted SOS and must say i stand corrected, T59's and AS are a minority riff wise Smile

But still on SOS and even on Handwritten (to a lesser extent) the rhythm-guitar lets Alex pike trough and kinda dances with his lead-parts. Whereas Get Hurt i my opinion overruns Alex at most parts (which in fact may be intentional but doesn't get much love by my ears)
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 10:10 pm

News update:

If you don't think the outro of Red Violins is the tightest shit (i.e the greatest moment on the record) then you can get out of my face
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 1:02 am

I will get out of your face because the ending of Have Mercy is the greatest moment of the record.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 5:50 am

Harbortown wrote:
News update:

If you don't think the outro of Red Violins is the tightest shit (i.e the greatest moment on the record) then you can get out of my face

well the outro of Red Violins is shit. srap the "tightest"-bit.

In your face Frying Pan
Back to top Go down
Thunder Peel
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Thunder Peel

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 11:42 pm

The intro of Mama's Boys reminds me of Tom Joad-era Springsteen. It's really grown on me and I find myself humming it throughout the day. Still loving the rest of the album; it hasn't worn out its welcome.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
biggs
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
biggs

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 8:20 pm

When you go on holiday and you think to yourself "lets check the hotel out on Trip Advisor and majority of guests say its crap wont be coming back etc " it tends to worry you and thats what i thought on the first few pages of listeners views and must admit first listen your right its rubbish ,but stuck with it and listened to it at work about 15 times and thought this is so much better than Handwritten and better well crafted songs and melodies than i was expecting Clap
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 11:02 pm

Still really loving this album. My 3 year old sings along to 1,000 Years and pretends to play drums.

I know it's a lot of music...I'm still wanting more songs though.
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 11:54 am

have your pretty horse runnin free and wil u can go to la
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2014 3:05 pm

"Sweet Morphine" is the break music in this week's episode of the Filmspotting podcast: http://filmspotting.net/reviews/1221-508-chicago-intl-film-fest-preview-top-5-ciff-discoveries.html

Not a major deal, but I thought that was kind of cool.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2014 6:19 pm

that's cool, thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 7:42 am

just here to say that Selected Poems is one of the best songs EVER I love you Razz Clap Surprised
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 5:25 am

Just wanted to post to say I think Break Your Heart is the most achingly beautiful, honest song Brian has ever written. I don't understand how some people don't like it I think it just stops you in your tracks when you hear it. It still hits close to home and for me it is right up there with Here's Looking At You, Kid and Blue Jeans as one of their best slower songs.

Get Hurt is easily my album of the year. Even some songs that I was not that crazy about at first like Selected Poems have grown on me. Have Mercy is absolutely stunning too. Just when I think Brian's songwriting couldn't get any more deep and beautiful he always manages to make something even more moving.

I am praying work will give me time off so I can see them in November. I really need to hear these songs live.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 5:38 pm

Christophe wrote:
Just wanted to post to say I think Break Your Heart is the most achingly beautiful, honest song Brian has ever written. I don't understand how some people don't like it I think it just stops you in your tracks when you hear it. It still hits close to home and for me it is right up there with Here's Looking At You, Kid and Blue Jeans as one of their best slower songs.

Get Hurt is easily my album of the year. Even some songs that I was not that crazy about at first like Selected Poems have grown on me. Have Mercy is absolutely stunning too. Just when I think Brian's songwriting couldn't get any more deep and beautiful he always manages to make something even more moving.

I am praying work will give me time off so I can see them in November. I really need to hear these songs live.

Break Your Heart is really good. I just wish it didn't sound so much like I Won't Back Down by Tom Petty, kinda made it hard for me to enjoy initally. But I've gotten past that now.
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 1:56 am

Christophe wrote:

Every time I listen to Break Your Heart, I dislike it more and more. It is one of the only Gaslight songs that doesn't hit me in any way.

I can't pin down exactly what it is I dislike about it. I think it is mostly that it feels stagnant. I always hear the first verse and chorus and think, "Wait, this song is good." Then it doesn't really go anywhere…I feel like it just repeats without really building. I rarely find myself not pushing next after the first chorus. I just don't know what there is to keep me listening. It's a bummer too because it sounds like it is begging to build into something grandiose and epic…but doesn't.

In a similar vein, Brian's delivery sounds so emotionless on the track. For such a heart-wrenching song, it sounds as if he is going through the motions and reading someone else's lyrics. When I listen to a Horrible Crowes song, you can just hear Brian's emotion come through. On Braek Your Heart, it just feels uninspired.

It's a song I really want to like. The lyrics are great and the melody is really good. It just doesn't do it for me.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 1:22 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
Christophe wrote:

Break Your Heart is really good. I just wish it didn't sound so much like I Won't Back Down by Tom Petty, kinda made it hard for me to enjoy initally. But I've gotten past that now.

Or southern accents by tom petty.

The vocal style is kinda petty-ish too. That laid back feel.
Back to top Go down
biggs
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
biggs

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 5:38 am

Christophe wrote:

love that song too
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 4:54 pm

Am I the only one who thinks Get Hurt sonically sounds really really good?
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 6:50 am

I once thought "what if in Stray Paper he sings "butt love" rather than "but love"" and now I can't get it out of my head.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 7:01 am

really good acoustic version of 1,000 years
Back to top Go down
BossTime
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
BossTime

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2014 1:52 am

I don't recall seeing this discussed but I got the vinyl for Christmas and I noticed that the songs are all a slower speed than the cd pressing. It's as if the cd pitch is slightly bumped up and I can hear it in Brian's vocal. The record sounds way more like 'Brian' than the cd to me. Anyone else notice this difference?
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2014 4:32 am

BossTime wrote:
I don't recall seeing this discussed but I got the vinyl for Christmas and I noticed that the songs are all a slower speed than the cd pressing. It's as if the cd pitch is slightly bumped up and I can hear it in Brian's vocal. The record sounds way more like 'Brian' than the cd to me. Anyone else notice this difference?

Interesting. Would you say the iTunes version is closer to the vinyl or CD version?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 20 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]
Page 20 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next