DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Hold Steady

Go down 
+59
23Punk
Rock bus
MKULTRA
jzancan
Thunder Peel
Hanswurst
beholdhurricanej
bringiton_ty
dmcraig
Klown
QuizzlyBear
kissthebottle
MikeSig
JJW319
OldManShoes3
NYYFAN523
gtalbott
DeathoftheCool
Keeb631
loazis
Grant Michael
Harbortown
ThisMachineKillsFascists
LuceroDiehard
Jay
Matilda Noir
StopAndSlideToTheRight
The Angry Johnny Revue
enola
kein_gerede
fullcollapse
steady now steady now
janet.
simo
Reinvent good times
CluckyB
mescalero
BostonMike
Angry Johnny
Asleepontheforestfloor
curly
JoshRaymond
Daire
Jack
borrowedcar
IKeeptheDiner
stupendoussven
PFREEZY
colmillionaire
Holland
samuelhw
TonyRockyHorror
The Dude
stephendgaf
Refused
Jukebox Romeo
billy pilgrim
Stalls_Standing
mark_275
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

The Hold Steady - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 2:20 am

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that. Totally agree with you there.

Also one of their guitar players had some killer solos. While I think they can probably attribute 90% of their success to Finn's lyrics and style, the rest of the band still holds a lot of weight and doesn't get enough attention. Kinda similar to Gaslight in that regard.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 2:42 am

Could you hear the keyboards? I couldn't at all. The rest of the sound was good though.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 3:01 am

I didn't see a guy playing the keyboard and didn't hear any keyboard sound. I remember thinking "Wait didn't they have a keyboard guy who left and made everyone sad" but it still sounded find.

That being said, I'm fairly sure I saw four guys on guitar/bass. But wikipedia only lists four members in the band.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 3:04 am

Oh yeah Franz did leave but there was definitely someone on keys at the show I was at. You could hear it during the quiet parts but whenever the band was loud it was completely drowned out.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 3:07 am

Weird. How many guitar players were there? I honestly can't say for sure I saw five guys up there, but I'm pretty sure I did. Unless I'm confusing them with the opening band.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 3:12 am

Yeah there were 3 guys on guitar, someone on bass, drums, and then keys. They had 6 guys out there...I just checked the pics on my phone.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 3:48 am

ah ok. Either the keys guy wasn't there or he was hiding somewhere I didn't see him.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 11:49 pm

Just been getting into them over the past year, thanks to a friend of mine who is "that guy" when it comes to THS. Seen them over 50 times, I love him for it. I liked the albums but what really set it in stone was seeing them live. My friend wanted us up front with him for our first THS show, and it was incredible. I'm not one of "those" fans, but that's how I am with Gaslight so I can totally relate. It's a beautiful thing. Both bands put on shows that make me wonder how anyone can deny the existence of a god/higher power... moments like that really have to come from somewhere, you know?

Long story short, The Hold Steady puts on some of the most powerful, unifying shows I have ever been to.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 7:09 am

Saw the Hold Steady in Cambridge yesterday for the first time. Great performance, and Craig is such a theatrical frontman. Not as as varied a setlist as TGA's though and way too loud. A good night though.

The Hold Steady - Page 4 THS-Cam1

The Hold Steady - Page 4 THS-Cam2
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 12:09 pm

The Hold Steady was definitely the loudest show I've ever been to.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 1:03 pm

Aren't they just absolutely... transcendent? They are so much more than a band with some songs. Between The Hold Steady and Gaslight, I really feel like I've found my home.

This is probably my favorite picture I've ever taken, of anyone or any thing, at any time.

The Hold Steady - Page 4 7ca0e443
Back to top Go down
kein_gerede
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 3:46 pm

thanks for the link alexander!
nice pictures!

the concert yesterday was awesome! even if i never listened to their records that much (except boys and girls in america).

wintersleep, the support act, wasn't bad, but after a few songs i got really annoyed of his voice... it sounds so much better on their records.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 10:46 pm

Saw them last week in Dublin. Probably the greatest club show I've ever seen. I don't know how to describe it but it was unreal.

Alex you're pictures capture THS in all their glory in the greatest(s) way possible!! Cheers.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 3:58 am

Yeah. That is one of the greatest rock and roll photos I've seen. Captures the essence of Craig Finn perfectly.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 5:29 am

fullcollapse wrote:
This is probably my favorite picture I've ever taken, of anyone or any thing, at any time.

top marks!! so intense
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 5:40 pm

Reading all this makes me really wanna see them live! I bellieve they never played Austria until now - at least not in the last couple years. So I'm gonna add them to the list of bands I need to travel to see them ;o)
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Manuela, you NEED to experience this band! Take my word that just listening to the albums will never give you what their live show will. It really is something.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 6:17 pm

fullcollapse wrote:
Manuela, you NEED to experience this band! Take my word that just listening to the albums will never give you what their live show will. It really is something.

ok, one more pic, because it captures Craig's exuberance somewhat - and a pic for Emily to show other people get set lists (and picks) too

The Hold Steady - Page 4 THS-Cam4

The Hold Steady - Page 4 THS-Cam3

left: Wintersleep - right: THS

the encore, not on the set list, was
Positive Jam
Stations
Stay Positive
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 7:05 pm

hahaha nice! I know other people get them... healthy competition Razz reminds me that I need to update my library of them that's NOT hosted on facebook. The facebook gallery us up to date, I think.

I just love taking pictures of Craig. He just glows with... I don't even know what. He loves what he does, and I appreciate life a little more every time I see him.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 7:32 pm

fullcollapse wrote:
That's exactly what I feel I should do. But there are no more European dates in sight Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
kein_gerede
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 3:55 pm

enola wrote:
Reading all this makes me really wanna see them live! I bellieve they never played Austria until now - at least not in the last couple years. So I'm gonna add them to the list of bands I need to travel to see them ;o)

they might have... they played at the southside festival last year. so they might have been at the novarock...

unfortunately every time they tour europe they leave out switzerland....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 7:31 pm

Im pretty sure 'Boys and Girls in America' is going to be on high rotation this summer.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 6:35 am

Saw them for the first time a couple of months ago. Unfortunately they didn't play any of the 4 songs I desperately wanted them too.

Craig spent more time talking to the crowd than singing to the crowd.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 4:23 am

Just got back from seeing them again. As always a phenomenal show. Other than having a crowd surfer pushed in my face (despite there being no gap between the crowd and the stage because it was a smaller venue, and the speakers being right on the edge of the stage so surfing towards the stage is a *bad* idea lots of people still decided to try. One of them got on the stage only to have a security guy race up and push him back, right on top of me. I seriously hate crowd surfers. I need to either take my focus off the band or risk someone falling on top of me. Don't do it kids. Whatever. #StayPositive =D)
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 5:22 am

Saw them again in August. I miss the keys in the band but their current lineup really rocks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Hold Steady
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next