DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Hold Steady

Go down 
+59
23Punk
Rock bus
MKULTRA
jzancan
Thunder Peel
Hanswurst
beholdhurricanej
bringiton_ty
dmcraig
Klown
QuizzlyBear
kissthebottle
MikeSig
JJW319
OldManShoes3
NYYFAN523
gtalbott
DeathoftheCool
Keeb631
loazis
Grant Michael
Harbortown
ThisMachineKillsFascists
LuceroDiehard
Jay
Matilda Noir
StopAndSlideToTheRight
The Angry Johnny Revue
enola
kein_gerede
fullcollapse
steady now steady now
janet.
simo
Reinvent good times
CluckyB
mescalero
BostonMike
Angry Johnny
Asleepontheforestfloor
curly
JoshRaymond
Daire
Jack
borrowedcar
IKeeptheDiner
stupendoussven
PFREEZY
colmillionaire
Holland
samuelhw
TonyRockyHorror
The Dude
stephendgaf
Refused
Jukebox Romeo
billy pilgrim
Stalls_Standing
mark_275
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

The Hold Steady - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 5:53 pm

i wasn't a huge fan of the first single but i really like the new one "Spinners." not transcendent like they used to be but a damn fine song to my ears.

lyric vid - http://www.vevo.com/watch/the-hold-steady/spinners-official-lyric-video/USRZR1351514

from seth meyers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1mhuRG9gJE
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 3:49 am

Not keen on the two singles so far. Just seem like very average forgettable rock songs. Nothing about them seems standout. And the lyrics don't live up to the usual standard of Craig Finn's lyrics. They seem very throwaway, particularly Spinners. With all of that said I don't think it's inconceivable that over time IHTWTDFY will grow on me once I've heard the rest of the record. On a less critical note does anyone briefly get reminded of Constructive Summer during the "Never Let Them Tie You Up" part.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 6:03 am

The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:
Not keen on the two singles so far. Just seem like very average forgettable rock songs. Nothing about them seems standout. And the lyrics don't live up to the usual standard of Craig Finn's lyrics. They seem very throwaway, particularly Spinners. With all of that said I don't think it's inconceivable that over time IHTWTDFY will grow on me once I've heard the rest of the record. On a less critical note does anyone briefly get reminded of Constructive Summer during the "Never Let Them Tie You Up" part.

I think the album overall will be stronger than these two songs. They really seem to be confident in it, and that song Wait Awhile was a great song
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 11:32 am

DeathoftheCool wrote:
The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:

I think the album overall will be stronger than these two songs. They really seem to be confident in it, and that song Wait Awhile was a great song

I love what they've put out from the new record so far. Aside from the first two singles, they've also played The Only Thing and Almost Everything on radio spots. Not a big fan of Almost Everything (which is especially disappointing because that is one that the guys seemed to be particularly proud of), but The Only Thing is really solid--but I've only heard it's stripped-down form.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Thunder Peel
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Thunder Peel

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 2:34 pm

The two singles aren't anything special but I'm enjoying them nonetheless. I'm optimistic this will be a pretty strong record overall.Smile
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Do you guys like Spinners or I Hope This Whole Thing Didn't Frighten You better?
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 1:44 pm

woop woop

FULL ALBUM STREAM RIIIIIIGHT HERE

http://www.musikexpress.de/news/meldungen/article552218/the-hold-steady-hoert-euch-das-neue-album-teeth-dreams-vorab-im-stream-an.html
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 12:39 am

hmmm hopefully theres one for North America sometime soon

what do you think of it Hanswurst?
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 1:31 am

MKULTRA wrote:
hmmm hopefully theres one for North America sometime soon

what do you think of it Hanswurst?

yeah i was bummed that it didn't work in America. How was it hanswurst? I'm super curious as to how it sounds
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 7:35 am

thats strange thought  scratch 

does this one work?
https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/playlists/25527436%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-2e4IE&color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_artwork=true

or this?

https://soundcloud.com/washingtonsquaremusic/big-cig/s-2e4IE

If only the second one works, i may mess around with the source code a little more but its unlikely i'll find a direct link to the mp3..

Now to speak about the music:

I didn't really enjoy it after the first listen. There was nothing which really stood out for me..
But thats the way i feel about all their records - some songs grow on me after a couple listens and become favorites, but most of their songs i feel kinda bored about. So i'd say its a classic Hold Stady album. If you like their older stuff this is great - not as great as Boys and Girls in America - but still some solid stuff.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 8:19 am

haha well glad to hear your thoughts.
neither of those links work, thanks for trying though  Smile 
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 1:51 pm

on another note i've finally really gotten into Separation Sunday and it blows my mind.

and that has led to my current obsession with the grand Hold Steady narrative in general. i mean who's the savior? who's Judas? if Holly's the Judas and she gets resurrected that's craaazy. is Charlemagne dead? or did Sapphire save him? when does everyone end up in Ybor City? ahhhhhhhh.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 7:45 am

http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2005/aug/holdsteady/lyrics_chicago.html

MKULTRA check it

there was also an article i read recently that places all the hold steady songs in order of the narrative, i'll try to find it

EDIT: this is cool too

http://americamagazine.org/issue/642/100/hipster-orthodoxy
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 2:47 pm

thanks for the links. some interesting reading.

ALSO I USED THIS TO LISTEN TO THE GERMAN STREAM-

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 11:16 pm

MKULTRA wrote:
thanks for the links. some interesting reading.

ALSO I USED THIS TO LISTEN TO THE GERMAN STREAM-

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

cool! i added it, how do i specifically use it to listen to the stream
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 12:49 am

If you click the hola button that should be next to your URL bar, there will be some flags. Click on the German one. The site's homepage will load. Navigate the site to the album stream page. And it should work.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 1:21 am

MKULTRA wrote:
If you click the hola button that should be next to your URL bar, there will be some flags. Click on the German one. The site's homepage will load. Navigate the site to the album stream page. And it should work.

Sweet! I really like the album so far. I'm only on Spinners though. I listened to Heaven is Whenever at the gym yesterday and Sep Sunday earlier this week, so I'm in a Hold Steady type of mood. I have the feeling this album won't be as heavy as some early interviews and reviews have mentioned.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:43 am

Quick hits-

It took a few listens for the album to resonate with me. I really like it. I don't know how it will compare to the first 4 albums, but those are pretty hard to beat.

After a 4 year gap between albums, "the cityscape skins are kinda kicking it again" is an awesome line to kick it all off.

Sometimes I'm feeling like the production is a bit much. Quite nice in some places though.

The Only Thing is an amazingly written song.

I think at least one track (Runner's High) is about Charlemagne! Gotta love Charlemagne.

I don't really know what Oaks is about yet but it just made me melancholy as fuck.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:55 am

MKULTRA wrote:
Quick hits-

It took a few listens for the album to resonate with me. I really like it. I don't know how it will compare to the first 4 albums, but those are pretty hard to beat.

After a 4 year gap between albums, "the cityscape skins are kinda kicking it again" is an awesome line to kick it all off.

Sometimes I'm feeling like the production is a bit much. Quite nice in some places though.

The Only Thing is an amazingly written song.

I think at least one track (Runner's High) is about Charlemagne! Gotta love Charlemagne.

I don't really know what Oaks is about yet but it just made me melancholy as fuck.

Oaks was one of my favorites. I'm really digging the long, mellow album closers they've been doing, specifically this song and A Slight Discomfort
Can't beat Southtown Girls, Slapped Actress, or How A Resurrection Really Feels either.
They're kinda like Arctic Monkeys, their last song tends to be their best one
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 10:00 am

DeathoftheCool wrote:
http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2005/aug/holdsteady/lyrics_chicago.html

MKULTRA check it

there was also an article i read recently that places all the hold steady songs in order of the narrative, i'll try to find it

EDIT: this is cool too

http://americamagazine.org/issue/642/100/hipster-orthodoxy

The article about all the Hold Steady songs in order was posted on the Unified Scene a while ago.  One thing I think should be noted though:  according to Craig, there is no proper order, and not every song is about those characters.  That being said: I think the chronological list the guy made was overall pretty good, but there were some things I disagreed with.  Also, while he was cognizant enough not to include some songs because he didn't see them fitting into the canon, I still think he forced some in there that shouldn't be. Still pretty interesting.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Thunder Peel
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Thunder Peel

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2014 3:38 pm

Overall I'm just not feeling this record. After several listens there are only about four songs that really stand out to me (Spinners, Oaks, Almost Everything, and I Hope This Whole Thing Didn't Frighten You). Finn's vocals are so distorted and the songs just sound sloppy overall, with very little melody or any distinguishing features. I keep hoping it'll grow on me but unfortunately I think it's a pretty underwhelming effort.
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 2:23 pm

UGHHHHHH.... so bummed by this record. Drums sound like they were recorded outside the studio in the rain. The amount of reverb on Craig's voice is also really ridiculous. He is also in the middle of the mix. Tad and the new guitarist are on the very top. The lyrical content is at least better on this record than the last record. But this producer.... yikes. Def the most disappointing record of the year thus far.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 6:13 pm

yeah I didn't really feel this on first listen. Gonna give it a few more spins before writing it off though cause this band is still too good.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 8:31 pm

This album is kinda like Tim to me
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 10:53 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
This album is kinda like Tim to me

if you mean a great album in spite of some production issues, i pretty much agree.

the production here... its not like i hate it. there are some places where i like it. generally i don't mind the way Craig's voice was treated. there are some parts where its too muddy; Runner's High comes to mind. the production might bring the album down sometimes, but not enough to make me not like it.

With Tim, the production is quite annoying. still, most of those songs power through it, which is really a great achievement by the band.

i would say Tim has worse production and better songs, while Teeth Dreams moves closer the middle of the spectrum on both.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Hold Steady   The Hold Steady - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Hold Steady
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next