DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Misery vs Hold You Up

Go down 
+12
JukeboxJuliet
StitchesOnTheRadio
Jack
pleasepassthesoup
ivienco
Debonair
jensomniac
TheMagnificentDreamer
zerb012345
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
flannel
16 posters

Misery vs Hold You Up
Misery
Misery vs Hold You Up Vote_lcap83%Misery vs Hold You Up Vote_rcap
 83% [ 20 ]
Hold You Up
Misery vs Hold You Up Vote_lcap17%Misery vs Hold You Up Vote_rcap
 17% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 24

AuthorMessage
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

Misery vs Hold You Up Empty
PostSubject: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 10:59 pm

Hold You Up is one of my all-time faves, all my friends prefer Misery.
thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mike_Millburys_Shoe

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 12:07 am

I'm a huge Misery fan. The chorus rips me apart. The whole song does, really.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 8:06 am

I do love Hold You Up....but its Misery.
That song just tears me into pieces EVERY time.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 8:50 am

Hold You Up by far.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnificentDreamer
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
TheMagnificentDreamer

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 8:54 am

Definitely Hold You Up, one of my favourite songs Brian has written overall.
Back to top Go down
jensomniac
A Contender
A Contender
jensomniac

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 12:13 pm

The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:
I do love Hold You Up....but its Misery.
That song just tears me into pieces EVERY time.

+1
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Added a poll.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 2:01 pm

Gotta say Misery here, though they're both terrific songs.
Back to top Go down
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 2:44 pm

I like them both, but I'd have to say it's Misery and it's not even close.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 2:51 am

Love Hold You Up but it's definitely Misery
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 3:40 am

Hold You Up has some great lyrics but Misery wins by far. That song gives me chills.
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 1:57 pm

TheMagnificentDreamer wrote:

same! I'm not even sure why. it just really gets to me in a way that Misery doesn't. it's so like, idk, soft and sad and deep to me. and personal maybe? where as Misery is all like third person
Back to top Go down
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 5:24 pm

Can't I pick both?

Guess I'll go with Misery.

Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 5:32 pm

flannel wrote:

same!  I'm not even sure why. it just really gets to me in a way that Misery doesn't.  it's so like, idk, soft and sad and deep to me. and personal maybe? where as Misery is all like third person

For me it's the "ooohs" in the background vocals that make Hold You Up really haunting.
Back to top Go down
jonester
A Contender
A Contender
jonester

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 7:51 pm

misery for me. I have wanted to hear it live for the longest time. I have an idea , and let me know if my idea sucks or is out of line, how about we take up donations for a new jersey food bank or some other charity and offer it to Brian in return for hearing it live at The Crossroads on dec. 18. I'll start with $50.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 8:14 pm

jonester wrote:
misery for me. I have wanted to hear it live for the longest time. I have an idea , and let me know if my idea sucks or is out of line, how about we take up donations for a new jersey food bank or some other charity and offer it to Brian in return for hearing it live at The Crossroads on dec. 18. I'll start with $50.

Dude, my buds and I have been begging for this song for a year, and he finally played it Europe. I'm not paying for it! I'll gladly donate to a good cause for other reasons but this...no way. I never say artists I like owe me anything, I hate that entitlement nonsense, but if ever an artist did owe some fans something, it would be this song at Crossroads.

(sorry for the harshness, I'm still bitter  Very Happy .)

Last edited by StitchesOnTheRadio on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jonester
A Contender
A Contender
jonester

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 11:24 am

The money would go to charity, I requested it when he was at the crossroads last winter, but alas, no. I just thought this would be a good way to raise money for a charity and in return get something were yearning for.
Back to top Go down
Rizz
A Contender
A Contender
Rizz

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 11:37 am

Glad he finally played the song live! Let's hope we get to hear it up in Garwood, preferably night 1 haha
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 12:11 pm

In light of the song now being played, I would be shocked if it wasn't played at Crossroads.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 2:54 pm

jonester wrote:
The money would go to charity, I requested it when he was at the crossroads last winter, but alas, no. I just thought this would be a good way to raise money for a charity and in return get something were yearning for.

No I know. And I would never object to donating to a good cause simply to donate. But whether you're paying Brian or giving money to charity, if you have to give up money to get a song, you are paying for that song. And considering the song has now been played live, I refuse to pay more that what I've already paid for a ticket, to hear it.

EDIT: Sorry, that sounded harsh. It's not a bad idea, I just wouldn't be in favor of it for a song that has been played before.

Rizz wrote:
Glad he finally played the song live! Let's hope we get to hear it up in Garwood, preferably night 1 haha

Preferabley EARLY night 1, haha. Whether I want to or not, I'm not going to enjoy the show until it gets played because every song before it I'll be thinking "that's nice, but are we gonna hear Misery?" If he could just announce that it will happen for sure in the two days, then I'll relax. This is the one time where I'd prefer to see the set list ahead of time, haha.

Last edited by StitchesOnTheRadio on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 3:54 pm

jonester wrote:
I think it's a cool idea, although I am really poor so... there are songs I would probs pay for (for charity) though... (Hold You Up, Tin Pan Alley, I'd def pay for some Cincinnati Rail Tie ;D)
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 8:26 pm

flannel wrote:

same!  I'm not even sure why. it just really gets to me in a way that Misery doesn't.  it's so like, idk, soft and sad and deep to me. and personal maybe? where as Misery is all like third person

Heh? Misery is entirely written in first- and second-person perspective.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 12:25 am

Jack wrote:
flannel wrote:

Heh? Misery is entirely written in first- and second-person perspective.

oh yeah.... i totally meant to say second... it's been awhile since high school english
Back to top Go down
cdala
A Contender
A Contender
cdala

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 11:39 am

little late to the party, but for me it's misery hands down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Misery vs Hold You Up   Misery vs Hold You Up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Misery vs Hold You Up
Page 1 of 1