DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love

Go down 
+131
matkins
nebraska
Andy_
plugga
tom.TGA.punk
DeathoftheCool
spork13
gunner
the original gauche
19thirty
nico0493
Breanne
Xanthias
GuitarMike
DiamondSinatra
thomas94
gib786
Zapuda
daria_pepper
SubconsciousRitual
Grant Michael
drifter69
loazis
pleasepassthesoup
bringiton_ty
CluckyB
TheContender
holdsteady82
huckafooter
Raoul_Duke
CapedAvenger
Kosburn59
JacksSmirkingRevenge
EveryWordHandwritten
Chappers
Jerseyrain
punkrox889
PPQ
njguy99
sandinista
sportshack
TGA30
Brother Beck
Emusic
jonnyz83
moreblue
fake_empire
Klown
Prisoner
rsj
scarsrsouvenirs
Afzoomie67
NeverTrustAJunkie
Little Eden
steph
TGAforLIFE
azlisa
jeffrey2
NYYFAN523
danny4690
Camus
YorkDan
mingus
heals
JJW319
charlesepting
bringiton
kirstyt
Ghost
steady now steady now
Casey
StitchesOnTheRadio
bt211
Shrewsbury_Stars
FelixMA
The Angry Johnny Revue
Bea
moconnell23
Harbortown
gking92
RandyMachoManCabbage
40 Miler
White Man In Hammersmith
simo
vamike
YouCanCallMeSally
JonnyisRFC
bakerfall
Jack
songs like a comfort
TheEmptyBones
EveryLittleSecret
DavyGrolton
IAmDisappeared
rumham
HorribleCrowe
Steve70s
Hanswurst
Midnight Rambler
Try Me
TGAFAN25
MKULTRA
EveryRikiHandwritten
snakester
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
SirBrad
IrishNameAndAnInjury
thebiglebowski
Jonnyn8
OldManShoes3
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
Chesser19
Vibes
The M
gtalbott
spgilbert
Labhras
ghosttocoast
riversedge
Yozzy
elliott4296
Holland
ral
DaleCooper
saltandburn1967
Christophe
acousticbandit
brianisbae
A_Regular
rgillies
eagles1139
135 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 6:24 am

bringiton_ty wrote:
haha i gathered/hoped that! i think it was the excitement of the night,situations and hope conveyed in the songs that came accross clearer in previous albums (still dont feel that sums up what im thinking but ah well)

perhaps the term we are looking for is 'life-affirming'; that's certainly what the earlier albums were

so maybe that's the Gaslight magic that's missing here, songs that are 'life-affirming'
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 10:22 am

"life affirming" il take that Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Midnight Rambler
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Midnight Rambler

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 2:03 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:
haha i gathered/hoped that! i think it was the excitement of the night,situations and hope conveyed in the songs that came accross clearer in previous albums (still dont feel that sums up what im thinking but ah well)

perhaps the term we are looking for is 'life-affirming'; that's certainly what the earlier albums were

so maybe that's the Gaslight magic that's missing here, songs that are 'life-affirming'

I definitely see where you're coming from with this, and for me Blue Dahlia is a very good example of a 'life-affirming' song that perhaps is more similar to the earlier albums.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 3:09 pm

Definately agree with blue dahlia. Its a crime that isnt a song on the album lol!!! its probably my favourite alongside 45, biloxi parish and mae
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 7:23 pm

This may sound odd, but I almost feel like I can't form a concrete opinion on this album until I hear the next one. I've been going with the idea that "this album's amazing it's just missing that spark". But now I'm wondering if it's not a spark so much as it's just different from the previous albums and what I'm missing is that familiarity. In that case it's just a matter of adjusting to something different, which I think will be easier when have more to go on. This album isn't so different that they're not the same band but it's in some ways a major change.

Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 2:36 pm

My conclusion on this album after having listened to it almost every day since its release is that it's a pretty big disappointment.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 2:52 pm

I think this website sums it up pretty well....

http://www.metacritic.com/person/the-gaslight-anthem
Back to top Go down
Andy_
A Contender
A Contender
Andy_

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 3:40 pm

I like the album but I didnt get the feeling that I got when 1st listening to 59 sound and American Slang. Not saying its a bad album though
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/@DrewsBatches
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Harbortown wrote:
My conclusion on this album after having listened to it almost every day since its release is that it's a pretty big disappointment.
isn't that like 2 months? scratch
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 8:57 pm

I had to post this because it was too strange and coincidental. I was listening to Razorlight's self-titled album from 2006 and I heard this line in the final song, Los Angeles Waltz:

"I was on Mulholland drive with the radio on..."

What are the odds...
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 10:57 pm

Labhras wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

You tortured yourself every day for two months listening to an album you're disappointed with? You're quite the masochist. Smile

JackStreetcar wrote:
I had to post this because it was too strange and coincidental. I was listening to Razorlight's self-titled album from 2006 and I heard this line in the final song, Los Angeles Waltz:

"I was on Mulholland drive with the radio on..."

What are the odds...

Hmm, I'd say "definite steal" because like you said, what are the odds but the radio thing is soooo classic Brian and he used Mulholland drive because he saw the movie so....now I don't know what to think. Thanks for sharing that find.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 12:42 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Labhras wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

You tortured yourself every day for two months listening to an album you're disappointed with? You're quite the masochist. Smile

yeah i own a dictionary too shelby, you're not impressing anyone.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 11:31 pm

Pardon my french, but there's a lot of pussy on Handwritten
especially compared to the other albums
I probably could have expressed my thought better, but that's it
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 1:08 am

Labhras wrote:
Labhras wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

yeah i own a dictionary too shelby, you're not impressing anyone.

Shut up Laurence Smile

Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 10:10 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:

It's girly? There's a lot of pussy on Handwritten in the way that there's a lot of pussy on a Lil Wayne mixtape?
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 10:48 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:

Wish you were one of those Eurpoean members on here who's first language wasn't English. The clear misunderstanding/confusion would've made this hands down the best post ever.

God what I just said was so relevant.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 11:10 pm

sandyangryjohnnyormary? wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:

It's girly? There's a lot of pussy on Handwritten in the way that there's a lot of pussy on a Lil Wayne mixtape?

I mean like there's more sexual references and stuff lol!
Not overtly but like "you can lean into me" in Mae, hookin up in the car in Mulholland Drive, and basically all of Desire.
It's less coy than there more albums. I guess it fits in with the goal of making it like a diary, very personal
PUSSAYYYYYYY
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 4:15 am

I agree with DeathoftheCool (although I don't know that I would have worded it that way, haha) but it's definitely the closest a TGA album has ever come to talking explicitly about even making out. It's a cool change to see.

I've always liked that Brian writes such great love songs but doesn't feel the need to fill them with sexual innuendoes or blatantly talk about sex all the time. Even when he comes close to including that stuff he mostly talks about things that could (but don't have to) lead to sex, like meeting someone and wanting to dance with them or taking them home.

Songwriters used to have to be so creative when people couldn't legally sing about sex but all that creativity has been lost in recent years. That's the one downside of reducing censorship. It's nice to see a writer not only allow himself to be creative about how he talks about that stuff, but also not feel the need to suggest it in every song. But it's cool to see him/them exploring that area a bit more without losing that creativity.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 4:36 am

I agree with DeathoftheCool (although I don't know that I would have worded it that way, haha) but it's definitely the closest a TGA album has ever come to talking explicitly about even making out. It's a cool change to see.

I've always liked that Brian writes such great love songs but doesn't feel the need to fill them with sexual innuendoes or blatantly talk about sex all the time. Even when he comes close to including that stuff he mostly talks about things that could (but don't have to) lead to sex, like meeting someone and wanting to dance with them or taking them home.

Songwriters used to have to be so creative when people couldn't legally sing about sex but all that creativity has been lost in recent years. That's the one downside of reducing censorship. It's nice to see a writer not only allow himself to be creative about how he talks about that stuff, but also not feel the need to suggest it in every song. But it's cool to see him/them exploring that area a bit more without losing that creativity.

Surprised
We understand each other!
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 9:51 am

That couplet in Mulholland Drive is very sexy.

"In the deep, dark parking lot pressed up against my car/with your hands around my neck, I felt the pounding of your heart"
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 10:37 am

Sex sells, unfortunately it doesnt for this abum lol. For me anyway
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 8:50 pm

I just realised that this is the only Gaslight album that I've initially listened to quite a bit (though I did force it at first) only to then kind of brush to the side and forget about. I can't remember the last time I really listened to this album where as I listen to everything else on a frequent basis. It's a bit gutting really.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 11:13 am

I was listening to Biloxi Parish yesterday and really paying attention to the lyrics. And the bridge started to truly bother me. How on earth does that fit lyrically with the rest of the song? It makes absolutely no sense. It just doesn't. It's Brian returning to the Orphans concept of the heroes and taking stuff from them, but it doesn't fit with the rest of the song at all. Bah....
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 8:01 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
I was listening to Biloxi Parish yesterday and really paying attention to the lyrics. And the bridge started to truly bother me. How on earth does that fit lyrically with the rest of the song? It makes absolutely no sense. It just doesn't. It's Brian returning to the Orphans concept of the heroes and taking stuff from them, but it doesn't fit with the rest of the song at all. Bah....
we took it all and we threw it away. the idea being that they had the same attitude towards their heroes and that was part of their bond hence "who else can say that about you baby". when they first put the bridge in the live version i though the same thing but since it was changed to "we" i reckon it fits.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Labhras wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
we took it all and we threw it away. the idea being that they had the same attitude towards their heroes and that was part of their bond hence "who else can say that about you baby". when they first put the bridge in the live version i though the same thing but since it was changed to "we" i reckon it fits.

No offense but that's a paper-thin connection. The third verse they cut completes the story of the song, while the bridge was clearly shoved in for whatever reason (probably to cut out names and references to Jersey).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 33 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love
Page 33 of 35Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next