DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love

Go down 
+131
matkins
nebraska
Andy_
plugga
tom.TGA.punk
DeathoftheCool
spork13
gunner
the original gauche
19thirty
nico0493
Breanne
Xanthias
GuitarMike
DiamondSinatra
thomas94
gib786
Zapuda
daria_pepper
SubconsciousRitual
Grant Michael
drifter69
loazis
pleasepassthesoup
bringiton_ty
CluckyB
TheContender
holdsteady82
huckafooter
Raoul_Duke
CapedAvenger
Kosburn59
JacksSmirkingRevenge
EveryWordHandwritten
Chappers
Jerseyrain
punkrox889
PPQ
njguy99
sandinista
sportshack
TGA30
Brother Beck
Emusic
jonnyz83
moreblue
fake_empire
Klown
Prisoner
rsj
scarsrsouvenirs
Afzoomie67
NeverTrustAJunkie
Little Eden
steph
TGAforLIFE
azlisa
jeffrey2
NYYFAN523
danny4690
Camus
YorkDan
mingus
heals
JJW319
charlesepting
bringiton
kirstyt
Ghost
steady now steady now
Casey
StitchesOnTheRadio
bt211
Shrewsbury_Stars
FelixMA
The Angry Johnny Revue
Bea
moconnell23
Harbortown
gking92
RandyMachoManCabbage
40 Miler
White Man In Hammersmith
simo
vamike
YouCanCallMeSally
JonnyisRFC
bakerfall
Jack
songs like a comfort
TheEmptyBones
EveryLittleSecret
DavyGrolton
IAmDisappeared
rumham
HorribleCrowe
Steve70s
Hanswurst
Midnight Rambler
Try Me
TGAFAN25
MKULTRA
EveryRikiHandwritten
snakester
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
SirBrad
IrishNameAndAnInjury
thebiglebowski
Jonnyn8
OldManShoes3
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
Chesser19
Vibes
The M
gtalbott
spgilbert
Labhras
ghosttocoast
riversedge
Yozzy
elliott4296
Holland
ral
DaleCooper
saltandburn1967
Christophe
acousticbandit
brianisbae
A_Regular
rgillies
eagles1139
135 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30 ... 35  Next
AuthorMessage
danny4690
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 6:09 am

The only part I was really dissapointed with was the Shalalas in HCMM, I thought it was a bit cheap and a bit of a cop out not to either write another line or stick in a lick on the guitar with the same melody instead. It's the same kind of things as the Woahs but they don't bother me so much.
I wish they'd release tour dates in Ireland already, my next chance to see them could be Reading and Leeds 2013 if they even play them as I'm moving to England for a year. That's just not cool.
I think Mae is one of the best songs Brian has written. For some reason his writing can really tap into the listener's emotion, well it does for me anyway. Musically they aren't revolutionary, and don't claim to be which I love too and alot of people level their criticisms on this base, but Brian's lyrics and songwriting is just something to be admired.
He's my new Phil Lynott, who I've idolised for years now. But Fallon's now way up there.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:26 am

After listening to the album for the sixth or seventh time and the first on CD I can now say that's this album is right up there with The '59 Sound. It's incredible Smile
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:34 am

At the moment I still haven't made a full decision on how good I think this album is. As Brian said once he is a big Pearl Jam fan and he would like anything they release and I feel the same with Gaslight. I think first of all to best enjoy this album you have to get the whole 'Handwritten' mindset, the lyrics are so direct. I feel like something has been lost in the production though, the guitars occasionally sound lacking in character.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 10:23 am

I definitely think there are some great tracks on Handwritten like Too Much Blood and Keepsake, just not sure about the whole LP which is a first for me with TGA.

I found an interesting quote tho from last year and is seems Fallon has done a 180 on this album which is brave and commendable and points to much more to come in the future:

Do you write your lyrics on a computer, or are you a pen and paper guy?

I try to be a pen and paper guy, but that doesn't happen. When the ideas are coming out fast, I need to be able to bang em out on the computer. I highlight things, move them around. I can't be bothered with writing. I see the old notebooks of all these artists I like, and think that's so cool. Like, "Eddie Vedder carries around a notebook. I wanna be like that!" It's not practical. I got the iPhone, I got the computer, I'm just blastin' away. A typewriter? Seriously? When that thing breaks, I'll smash it against the wall.

http://www.writersonprocess.com/2011/02/brian-fallon-the-gaslight-anthem.html
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 10:32 am

"Like, "Eddie Vedder carries around a notebook. I wanna be like that!" It's not practical. "

In that livestream session or whatever it was called, Brian said he always carries around a notebook and he just started a new one for the next album. In the making of handwritten video, he's carrying (and using) a black composition notebook which is EXACTLY what Eddie Vedder has used for 20 years.

I'm not sure if this contradiction is "brave" so much as indicative of Brian's newly overt desire to copy many things Vedder (putting a white 5 on his guitar, stage diving from balconies, many many many motions and stage moves, the 10club/45club, etc.) It's fine to change your mind, but don't be disingenuous and say one year it's impractical to carry a notebook and then the following year say that's always what you do.
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 10:42 am

bakerfall wrote:
"Like, "Eddie Vedder carries around a notebook. I wanna be like that!" It's not practical. "

In that livestream session or whatever it was called, Brian said he always carries around a notebook and he just started a new one for the next album. In the making of handwritten video, he's carrying (and using) a black composition notebook which is EXACTLY what Eddie Vedder has used for 20 years.

I'm not sure if this contradiction is "brave" so much as indicative of Brian's newly overt desire to copy many things Vedder (putting a white 5 on his guitar, stage diving from balconies, many many many motions and stage moves, the 10club/45club, etc.) It's fine to change your mind, but don't be disingenuous and say one year it's impractical to carry a notebook and then the following year say that's always what you do.

Exactly. It's kind of annoying hearing how pious he comes off whenever he talks about writing the songs in a notebook.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 10:56 am

For those who didn't know re: 5 on guitar

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/82/251652043_7a766356cd.jpg

To be fair, Ed got this from Pete Townshend who used to number all of his guitars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 1:33 pm

Okay now that I have listened the new record few times I ccan say its a great record. Not their best, but great. Right now I still kinda would say that AS is a better record, but it might be just because this is kinda new sounding record for TGA. Dont know. But what kinda bums me out is the lyrics. They are not near as good as they have been. Or I dont know. Maybe they open up, beucause just this morning lot of them sounded better. It might be because now that I allready knew Brian has some fantastic lyrics so I put pretty high expextations for them too. But yeah great record and kinda bummer they wont be coming to Finland this fall tour, but maybe I go to England or Spain. Long live The Gaslight Anthem!
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Anyone find it odd that the lyrics in the liner notes in 59 Sound are handwritten but they aren't in Handwritten? Would think that would be a given.

(I doubt that means the 59 sound notes are actually BRIAN'S handwriting, but it was a cool touch)
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 2:41 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
Anyone find it odd that the lyrics in the liner notes in 59 Sound are handwritten but they aren't in Handwritten? Would think that would be a given.

(I doubt that means the 59 sound notes are actually BRIAN'S handwriting, but it was a cool touch)

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure The '59 Sound lyrics are in Brian's writing. It's similar to the recent shots of pages from the Handwritten notebooks.
Back to top Go down
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender
TheContender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 11:29 am

rubberducky wrote:
bakerfall wrote:

Exactly. It's kind of annoying hearing how pious he comes off whenever he talks about writing the songs in a notebook.

I find, at least it seems more recently, that Brian has lost his comfort with himself or something. It seemed like in the earlier days, he paved his own way with who he was....and now, he's trying to imitate Eddie and others in ways....mesh their quirks and ideas into himself. Just be you, man. You are a genius artist as well and a force to be wreckoned with. Don't study anyone else. Don't emulate anyone else. Do what comes natural...that's how those guys made their way and were unique. Set your own tone.

But I digress to the point of this thread.....

"Mae" is REALLY growing on me and could become my favorite off the album soon. I didn't think that was possible after initially hearing "45" and "Biloxi", but she's a-risin' fast!
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Steve70s wrote:
I definitely think there are some great tracks on Handwritten like Too Much Blood and Keepsake, just not sure about the whole LP which is a first for me with TGA.

I found an interesting quote tho from last year and is seems Fallon has done a 180 on this album which is brave and commendable and points to much more to come in the future:

Do you write your lyrics on a computer, or are you a pen and paper guy?

I try to be a pen and paper guy, but that doesn't happen. When the ideas are coming out fast, I need to be able to bang em out on the computer. I highlight things, move them around. I can't be bothered with writing. I see the old notebooks of all these artists I like, and think that's so cool. Like, "Eddie Vedder carries around a notebook. I wanna be like that!" It's not practical. I got the iPhone, I got the computer, I'm just blastin' away. A typewriter? Seriously? When that thing breaks, I'll smash it against the wall.

http://www.writersonprocess.com/2011/02/brian-fallon-the-gaslight-anthem.html

And in regards to the previous few comments...

That was the whole premise of Handwritten itself. Brian got away from that style, felt disconnected in a way, and decided to change his ways and actually write things down.
Back to top Go down
daria_pepper
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Thought I subscribed some time ago and followed one or the other discussion reading, I think it's time for my first post: I bought *Handwritten* today and have listened for 3 times by now - and like before with *American Slang* some songs got me immediately, others I might have to work in - but in the whole: I love it - it's a great mixture of different rock-music, wonderful lyrics and outstanding musicians ... at least, that's all that counts, does it? Smile
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Holland wrote:
At the moment I still haven't made a full decision on how good I think this album is. As Brian said once he is a big Pearl Jam fan and he would like anything they release and I feel the same with Gaslight. I think first of all to best enjoy this album you have to get the whole 'Handwritten' mindset, the lyrics are so direct. I feel like something has been lost in the production though, the guitars occasionally sound lacking in character.

Scratch that I love this album
Back to top Go down
Zapuda
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 10:30 pm

As someone who has considered TGA my favorite band ever since randomly stumbling upon the "I'da Called You Woody, Joe" music video on Youtube around the time the Senor and the Queen EP was released, and then seeing them in a small basement show in a bar in downtown Columbus, Ohio where the space was so compact Brian sang Backseats at an awkwardly close, but no other choice because we were out of room distance to my face, I have felt a connection with this band and it's music that I haven't ever had with any other band. They always seem to pop up in a time of my life where what they put out is exactly what I need, or have created great memories like the one above about Backseats in a time in my life where everything else was going to shit, those bright spots shine the brightest.

I find this album to be absolutely amazing. I can't get enough of it, I have played it nonstop since the day it came out and it has only grown on me more and more with each listen. At a time in my life where on the outside I'm completely fine but on the inside an absolute confused mess that has no idea what I want this album came to me at a perfect time, and that makes the song Handwritten even more special to me. Between "Keepsake" hitting me in the chest as I'm trying to reconcile my relationship with my father and 45 giving me the "strength" if you will to "turn the record over" and walk away/move out of a relationship that I've grown completely stale and unhappy in, then songs like Here Comes My Man that I can see from her perspective. Every song just feels like it could be written about my life right now...this album has just hit me like a ton of bricks and will always be very special to me, like all of The Gaslight Anthem's releases have.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 10:58 pm

Zapuda wrote:
As someone who has considered TGA my favorite band ever since randomly stumbling upon the "I'da Called You Woody, Joe" music video on Youtube around the time the Senor and the Queen EP was released, and then seeing them in a small basement show in a bar in downtown Columbus, Ohio where the space was so compact Brian sang Backseats at an awkwardly close, but no other choice because we were out of room distance to my face, I have felt a connection with this band and it's music that I haven't ever had with any other band. They always seem to pop up in a time of my life where what they put out is exactly what I need, or have created great memories like the one above about Backseats in a time in my life where everything else was going to shit, those bright spots shine the brightest.

I find this album to be absolutely amazing. I can't get enough of it, I have played it nonstop since the day it came out and it has only grown on me more and more with each listen. At a time in my life where on the outside I'm completely fine but on the inside an absolute confused mess that has no idea what I want this album came to me at a perfect time, and that makes the song Handwritten even more special to me. Between "Keepsake" hitting me in the chest as I'm trying to reconcile my relationship with my father and 45 giving me the "strength" if you will to "turn the record over" and walk away/move out of a relationship that I've grown completely stale and unhappy in, then songs like Here Comes My Man that I can see from her perspective. Every song just feels like it could be written about my life right now...this album has just hit me like a ton of bricks and will always be very special to me, like all of The Gaslight Anthem's releases have.

Amen to that. It's amazing how their music just seems to come out at the right time saying exactly what you need to hear. I connected with 45 and Handwritten so much for similar reasons.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 8:16 am

Raoul_Duke wrote:

My only issues are the amount of woah woah woah's on it. Espeically in Desire. the opening to that song has to be the worst thing theyve ever written. it sounds like some shite teenage band.
Yep. Such a bad song.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:20 pm

Desire's a great song.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 2:19 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Zapuda wrote:

Amen to that. It's amazing how their music just seems to come out at the right time saying exactly what you need to hear. I connected with 45 and Handwritten so much for similar reasons.

I absolutely agree with all of this too. American Slang came out exactly when I needed those songs, and the same now with Handwritten. It's an amazing coincidence, especially when it's like that for so many of us.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 4:03 pm

I've been meaning to do this for days and I finally have time, so here's my track by track thoughts on Handwritten. I am so in love with this album, it really took me by surprise even with my ridiculously high expectations of it. It's better than I ever could have hoped for. Gaslight just gets better and better in my opinion, and this is the best album I have ever heard.

"45" - 9/10

I love the message of turning the record over, the references to records and cars, and Brian's yowl in the beginning. This song gets my heart pumping and is giving me the motivation to turn the record over in my life too. When I first heard it, I was so excited because it sounded like classic Gaslight, but with an update or something. It was fresh and new, but right away it felt like my favorite band. What a great way to start the album!

"Handwritten" - 10/10

This song is perfection. The author/poet in me connects to all of the lyrics about writing, but even more than that, the personal aspects of this song, finding another "soul that's been cut up the same", waiting for something that never comes, crying to your favorite songs, is what really got me. I cried the first time I heard this because that's when I knew for sure that this is going to be an amazing album because this song is so heartfelt, it sounds great, and it shows that once again, Brian just gets it. He understands what we all go through, how we feel, how we're trying to make sense of life. And it all comes out in a four minute song. The last lines make me think that maybe Brian does understand how much this music means to us, the fans. "From my heart to your distress/ Every word handwritten."

"Here Comes My Man" - 10/10

I was blown away by HCMM. I think it was great that Brian explained how this song came about during the "making of" video, and I think it's awesome that he wrote it from a girl's perspective. I can't think of any song sung by a man that is entirely from a woman's point of view. And he got it totally right. My favorite line is "And I'd never let you drop another tear in my eye". Very poignant, and of course it made me cry because I'm a huge sap and way too emotional for my own good. The message that she's not going to put up with whatever she was going through anymore, that she's worth more than that and doesn't have to just stay and take it is very empowering. The "oh sha la la" parts give it a slight classic soul feel in my mind, kind of like the Motown girl groups from the 60s, and I think that was a really neat touch.

"Mulholland Drive" - 10/10

This song is so cool and such a masterpiece. I think the music sounds amazing, the lyrics are perfect, and it gets stuck in my head more than any other song on the album. I really don't understand why anyone would think it was less than stellar. Someday I want to drive down Mulholland and blast this song in the car and sing along at the top of my lungs. My favorite line is, "Oh and I would just die if you you ever took your love away". Just imagine if someone loved you that much to say something so intense. This song gives me chills.

"Keepsake" - 8/10

The only reason I didn't give this one a higher score is because at times it's a little hard for to listen to because it's so painful. I absolutely love it though. My dad was around when I was kid, but he was never an active parental figure in my life and we clashed a lot, so this song really hits home to me. The lines "And its been all my life/ I've been wondering on the inside/ What we could of had if you had a part of my life" hit me so hard the first time I heard it, I was a sobbing mess. That's exactly how I feel, and now that I'm grown, I'll never know what life would have been like if my dad had really been there for me. I think this is the most intensely emontional song Brian has ever written, and I can't imagine how hard it was for him to pen this song, but I'm so glad he did.

"Too Much Blood" - 10/10

This is now my favorite Gaslight song, and quite possibly my favorite song ever. These lyrics describe me perfectly. When I first read the lyrics, it felt like Brian had written a song about me. And then when I heard it, I was blown away. The growl that he gets on the "I am no angel" and "I am no devil" parts is fantastic! With the lyrics though, this is exactly how I feel about my writing (specifically with poetry) and letting people read it. "What can I keep for myself if I tell you my hell?/ What would be left to take to my grave?" and "And if I just tell the truth are there only lies left for you/ If I put too much love on the page?" When you share writing that's extremely personal, whether it be something dark, a declaration of love, fear, etc., it can be really difficult and often leaves a person feeling overly exposed and vulnerable, like they've given away too much of themselves. I have felt like that so many times. When I listen to "Too Much Blood", I'm always left thinking, "This is my song."

"Howl" - 7/10

I think "Howl" is a great song and better than anything that gets played on the radio, but it's my least favorite on "Handwritten". I'm not exaclty sure why, but I just didn't connect with it quite as much as the others. I do love that it's fast paced and makes me want to get up and dance, and the line "See, if you wanna you can find me on the hood under the moonlight" makes me smile every time, but maybe because the song was so short, it just didn't hit me as much as the others. But I still love it.

"Biloxi Parish" - 9/10

I have been hearing this song for so long now, I was afraid that the studio version might not live up to the live versions that have been online for the last year and a half, but once I got used to the changes they made, I love it! I can relate to the lyrics a lot in this one, especially the line "And who else can take all your blood and your curses?" because that's what I end up doing for people. I love "Biloxi's" beat and energy and I would have given it a 10 if the other verse hadn't been taken out.

"Desire" - 9/10

This is another one I am surprised that people are criticizing because I think it's an incredible song and the most passionate one Brian has ever written. The lines "What does it feel like inside?/ Does it hurt you at night?/ Or does it keep you alive, and set you on fire, on fire?/ I would give anything for the touch of your skin/ Yes, I would burn here for years/ Up in desire, desire" just kill me. And "What makes a woman believe in a man such as me?/ Unworthy to sit at your foot or your crown" is just beautiful. "Desire" coming right before "Mae" was a really good decision I think, because these songs compliment each other well.

"Mae" - 10/10

"Mae" is perfection. This feels like The Horrible Crowes meets Gaslight and I have listened to it on repeat for over an hour a couple of different times because it just gets better and better with each listen. Like how I think "Desire" is the most passionate song Brian has written, I feel that "Mae" is the most romantic. "I wanna see you tonight/ Would you come for a drive?/ You can lean into me/ And if you ain't been in love for a while." I get major chills every time I hear these lines. The emotion just pours out of this song, the lyrics are so touching, the music is beautiful, it's just brilliant.

"National Anthem" - 8/10

This is a great way to end the album. I don't think it's quite as strong as "Red At Night" (one of my favorites) as an acoustic closer, but I think it's a great song. This song is very thought-provoking and my favorite part is "What's left for God to teach from His throne?/ And who will forgive us when He's gone?" Knowing what I know of Brian's religious beliefs (similar to my own), these words hold a lot of meaning. I also love the lines toward the end of the song: "And if there's something you need/ And if there's something you find/ Whatever gets you through the night/ Whatever gets you through the night." For some reason, the way he sings those words makes me tear up a little bit sometimes.

"Blue Dahlia" - 10/10

I wish they had made this a 12 track album and included this one because like others have said, it's way too good to just be a bonus song. These lyrics are so poetic they take my breath away. I love the line "She said, "I'm man enough my baby, come see about me"." Brian is channeling his inner Diana Ross with the Surpremes reference, haha, but this is just so beautiful! And when he asks how blue is her heart and is it sad enough to break, oh my gosh, that really got me. This is such a deep, gorgeous, outstanding song, I could listen to it every hour of every day for the rest of my life and never get tired of it.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 7:32 am

Well, my El Jefe bundle arrived, badly beaten up, and I had to pay an extra £14 to get it from the postman. Not amused.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 3:15 pm

gah, listened to T59 again. How does anyone think Handwritten is actually better? I mean, Handwritten still a very good album but it really pales in comparison. If the lyrics on T59S had been as pedestrian as "I'd just die if you ever took your love away" do you really think everyone would've fallen in love with this band? That songs more like a pop song than something Brian would write. Or screwing with the pacing on National Anthem with the "And I cant stand the weather, no I never liked the rain We drink on the job then we go home early". Or going verse verse bridge second bridge on Biloxi (imagine if in HLAYK instead of going into the third verse after the bridge they decided to do something else random...). The verse verse bridge verse pattern works for a reason. The softening your voice on the last line of a soft song works for a reason. I don't care if its formulaic. Part of the reason that I love Gaslight it's formulaic. You know exactly how a song is going to go before it finishes but its all amazing so it works. There are no surprises there to make an artistic statement. It's like hamburger. It isn't supposed to be fancy, its supposed to be some ground beef with bacon and cheese on top inside of a toasted bun. Because that is delicious.

There a good number of bits of handwritten that are the same burger we've grown to know and love. But there are other bits that seem to have a caramel bleu cheese and pickled raddish crumble on top, and other bits that seem like they came from McDonalds.

I donno, maybe I'm just in a bad mood. Or maybe the album is really like a 9.5 but everyone calling it an 11 makes me want to call it an 8 and wish they had just released an EP with 45, Here Comes My Man, Howl, Mae, Blue Dahlia, and the original version of Biloxi.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 3:30 pm

There a good number of bits of handwritten that are the same burger we've grown to know and love. But there are other bits that seem to have a caramel bleu cheese and pickled raddish crumble on top, and other bits that seem like they came from McDonalds.

Clap sums it up for me! haha
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 3:59 pm

CluckyB wrote:
gah, listened to T59 again. How does anyone think Handwritten is actually better? I mean, Handwritten still a very good album but it really pales in comparison. If the lyrics on T59S had been as pedestrian as "I'd just die if you ever took your love away" do you really think everyone would've fallen in love with this band? That songs more like a pop song than something Brian would write. Or screwing with the pacing on National Anthem with the "And I cant stand the weather, no I never liked the rain We drink on the job then we go home early". Or going verse verse bridge second bridge on Biloxi (imagine if in HLAYK instead of going into the third verse after the bridge they decided to do something else random...). The verse verse bridge verse pattern works for a reason. The softening your voice on the last line of a soft song works for a reason. I don't care if its formulaic. Part of the reason that I love Gaslight it's formulaic. You know exactly how a song is going to go before it finishes but its all amazing so it works. There are no surprises there to make an artistic statement. It's like hamburger. It isn't supposed to be fancy, its supposed to be some ground beef with bacon and cheese on top inside of a toasted bun. Because that is delicious.

I donno, maybe I'm just in a bad mood. Or maybe the album is really like a 9.5 but everyone calling it an 11 makes me want to call it an 8 and wish they had just released an EP with 45, Here Comes My Man, Howl, Mae, Blue Dahlia, and the original version of Biloxi.

I agree that The '59 Sound is a far better album. To me, there's not even a discussion to be had because it's not close. That's not to say I dislike Handwritten though. It has several standout tracks and everything sounds great but there are also some weaker songs. As CluckyB said, some of the lyrics are pedestrian and a few of the tracks seem a little "safe" to me.

Some fans have a tendency to declare anything new as the best ever since it's fresh but I'm not buying it here. The album's been out for a week. While it may turn into a classic, it's not going to happen for me just yet.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 4:01 pm

ral wrote:

I agree that The '59 Sound is a far better album. To me, there's not even a discussion to be had because it's not close. That's not to say I dislike Handwritten though. It has several standout tracks and everything sounds great but there are also some weaker songs. As CluckyB said, some of the lyrics are pedestrian and a few of the tracks seem a little "safe" to me.

Some fans have a tendency to declare anything new as the best ever since it's fresh but I'm not buying it here. The album's been out for a week. While it may turn into a classic, it's not going to happen for me just yet.

Oh yeah, I certainly don't dislike the album either. The only reason I'm being super critical of it is because I know they have perfection in them. Even with all its flaws, I'd still probably put it ahead of On the Impossible Past and Exister for AOTY. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 26 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love
Page 26 of 35Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30 ... 35  Next