DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love

Go down 
+131
matkins
nebraska
Andy_
plugga
tom.TGA.punk
DeathoftheCool
spork13
gunner
the original gauche
19thirty
nico0493
Breanne
Xanthias
GuitarMike
DiamondSinatra
thomas94
gib786
Zapuda
daria_pepper
SubconsciousRitual
Grant Michael
drifter69
loazis
pleasepassthesoup
bringiton_ty
CluckyB
TheContender
holdsteady82
huckafooter
Raoul_Duke
CapedAvenger
Kosburn59
JacksSmirkingRevenge
EveryWordHandwritten
Chappers
Jerseyrain
punkrox889
PPQ
njguy99
sandinista
sportshack
TGA30
Brother Beck
Emusic
jonnyz83
moreblue
fake_empire
Klown
Prisoner
rsj
scarsrsouvenirs
Afzoomie67
NeverTrustAJunkie
Little Eden
steph
TGAforLIFE
azlisa
jeffrey2
NYYFAN523
danny4690
Camus
YorkDan
mingus
heals
JJW319
charlesepting
bringiton
kirstyt
Ghost
steady now steady now
Casey
StitchesOnTheRadio
bt211
Shrewsbury_Stars
FelixMA
The Angry Johnny Revue
Bea
moconnell23
Harbortown
gking92
RandyMachoManCabbage
40 Miler
White Man In Hammersmith
simo
vamike
YouCanCallMeSally
JonnyisRFC
bakerfall
Jack
songs like a comfort
TheEmptyBones
EveryLittleSecret
DavyGrolton
IAmDisappeared
rumham
HorribleCrowe
Steve70s
Hanswurst
Midnight Rambler
Try Me
TGAFAN25
MKULTRA
EveryRikiHandwritten
snakester
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
SirBrad
IrishNameAndAnInjury
thebiglebowski
Jonnyn8
OldManShoes3
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
Chesser19
Vibes
The M
gtalbott
spgilbert
Labhras
ghosttocoast
riversedge
Yozzy
elliott4296
Holland
ral
DaleCooper
saltandburn1967
Christophe
acousticbandit
brianisbae
A_Regular
rgillies
eagles1139
135 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27 ... 35  Next
AuthorMessage
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 10:34 pm

snakester wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
njguy99 wrote:
I finally gave in and listened once through to the streaming version.

Initial thoughts (and I apologize if anyone's already said this...I've been avoiding this thread)...

4) The track I'm most confused about is Keepsake. The lyrics are beautiful and it's a powerful song, but it almost sounds....overproduced? I want to hear Brian crying out, with less angry guitar. I have to listen to it a few more times. Plus, did anyone else notice that intro sounds a lot like "Mary Jane's Last Dance"? (I'm not accusing them of ripping it off - it's just an interesting sidenote...)

5) The track I like the least at this early juncture is National Anthem. I understand completely why some reviewers said this album was covering "the same ground," because that song sounds a lot like earlier ones. I also dare to say it doesn't sound honest to me - almost like he felt he had to write this kind of song because there's one on every record. Maybe it's how it was performed; maybe I'm comparing it to tracks off Elsie. I know Brian is capable of writing heart-breaking end-of-love songs much more powerful. But again, I need to listen to this track again.

No flames please wave

That's interesting what you said about Keepsake. I can totally see where you're coming from. I took it though as the angry guitar is more indicative of where he's at with this aspect of his life. Like he's not "crying" about it so he's not gonna "cry out". I saw it more as like as a mature adult looking back, he's still angry and he's saying calmly, "you know, I got these things on my mind and I'm gonna say them to you and then I'm done. That chapter is closed". So I saw it more as that angry but calm undertone than a sad sort of moaning. That's my take.

I kind of agree with you on National Anthem. I mean I enjoy the song a lot and I think it's a good tone to close the album on but I get what you mean when you say it doesn't sound honest. I think it's because for the most part Brian writes about himself, and looking at the lyrics I don't think he's writing about himself at all in that song. He got away with it with Bring it On because he was still apart of that mess just not necessarily the guy singing it. I think he's trying to do (shoot me now for the Springsteen comparison) what springsteen does in writing about other people or from other perspectives and I feel like I didn't buy it simply b/c it's not what he usually does.

He wasn't singing about himself in here comes my man either and that song turned out pretty awesome.

You make a good point. I think it's maybe more of he had a specific idea in mind there. He took on a very specific perspective and it was a perspective that could easily have been that of a man (more importantly himself) too. I think National Anthem felt more distant from the character(s) he wrote about. Still love the song though.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 10:48 pm

It's weird. I think the way I feel about the last two songs on the record is just slightly confused. I don't dislike either of the songs (I'm referring to Mae and National Anthem) but they don't sound like Gaslight songs or something like that. I can't even put it into words because it's more of a gut feeling that I get. They just...confuse me.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 11:08 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
It's weird. I think the way I feel about the last two songs on the record is just slightly confused. I don't dislike either of the songs (I'm referring to Mae and National Anthem) but they don't sound like Gaslight songs or something like that. I can't even put it into words because it's more of a gut feeling that I get. They just...confuse me.

Mae really really does sound like a horrible crowes song. I can totally see where you're coming from.
Back to top Go down
jeffrey2
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
jeffrey2

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 12:42 am

Keepsake and Handwritten still my favorite," Desire" reminds me of "Spirit of Jazz" for some reason, "Mae" reminds me of "Miles Davis and the Cool". This is shaping up to be the best year of music in my 33 years of life. With Handwritten, Exister, On the Impossible Past, Chris Robinson's new one, Skiba, Japandroids, and the heavily underrated Kasey Anderson & the Honkies released, we still get new Dylan, Wallflowers, KIllers, Two Gallants, Green Day and Bob Mould. Can't stop listening to the Ryan Adams "Live as Deaf" acoustic, one of the best voices along with Brian!
Back to top Go down
http://jcool_se7en@hotmail.com
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 12:55 am

My CD came today, and I can honestly say that this is the best album I have ever heard. I will post a coherent declaration of my love for this album tomorrow, but I am crying through this whole album and wondering how Brian can write such beautiful words that pierce my heart and soul in a such a way that makes me feel like he understands exactly how I feel about life and all of the things I have gone through. So far, my top three tracks are Handwritten, Mulholland Drive, and Too Much Blood, but Here Comes My Man, Mae, and National Anthem are way up there too. And Keepsake tore my heart out.

Who am I kidding? All of these songs are so incredible, I don't even know what my favorites are at this point. I'm just going off of what songs made me cry the most. I have had the highest expectations for this album, it was just ridiculous, and these songs have blown all of my expectations out of the water. I couldn't have even imagined a better album. Not in my wildest dreams.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 12:59 am

Shannon that was my exact reaction! I'm so happy we weren't disappointed.

Also, my mother told me to take a day off from listening to Handwritten because she said it was making me an emotional wreck, haha.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 1:10 am

Also, my mother told me to take a day off from listening to Handwritten because she said it was making me an emotional wreck, haha.

I am so far from disappointed, I don't even know the meaning of the word. Right now I am sobbing to Keepsake. It's just... I don't even know what to say. My dad was here physically in the sense that he lived with us and was present at home when I was a kid, but not emotionally. It was tough and I don't really like to talk about it, but let's just say that I can relate to so much of this song and my heart and soul and being bled dry right now. This is exactly what I needed tonight and I love this album more than any album I have ever loved in my whole life. I apologize if this is an incoherent mess because I am so drunk tonight, but my love for this album is only going to get stronger. I know even understand how Brian was able to write such beautiful lyrics. WOW.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 1:16 am

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:

I am so far from disappointed, I don't even know the meaning of the word. Right now I am sobbing to Keepsake. It's just... I don't even know what to say. My dad was here physically in the sense that he lived with us and was present at home when I was a kid, but not emotionally. It was tough and I don't really like to talk about it, but let's just say that I can relate to so much of this song and my heart and soul and being bled dry right now. This is exactly what I needed tonight and I love this album more than any album I have ever loved in my whole life. I apologize if this is an incoherent mess because I am so drunk tonight, but my love for this album is only going to get stronger. I know even understand how Brian was able to write such beautiful lyrics. WOW.

It was exactly what I needed the night I listened to it the first time too. That's why I caved. I'd had a horrible day and just needed it. I think it's wonderful to watch Brian grow as a songwriter and the band grow as musicians. I never got to witness this before as it's happening in a bands careers and it's beautiful.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 1:23 am

Listen to Blue Dahlia immediately. It's on Spotify if you have trouble finding it.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 1:34 am

It was exactly what I needed the night I listened to it the first time too. That's why I caved. I'd had a horrible day and just needed it. I think it's wonderful to watch Brian grow as a songwriter and the band grow as musicians. I never got to witness this before as it's happening in a bands careers and it's beautiful.

I feel the exact same way. Brian's songwriting just gets better and better. These songs are so emotional, I just can't get over it. It's like he's writing them to each one of us, and they are that special.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 1:40 am

eagles1139 wrote:

Listen to Blue Dahlia immediately. It's on Spotify if you have trouble finding it.

I don't have Facebook ( I know, I know), so it won't let me create an account and listen. Crying or Very sad I'll have to wait for the deluxe CD to arrive. Stupid Interpunk for sending me the standard CD! Frying Pan
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 1:48 am

I'm on spotify, but i don't see it. i found it on tumblr though
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 1:49 am

azlisa wrote:
I'm on spotify, but i don't see it. i found it on tumblr though

I need to keep looking then!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 1:50 am

yeah search tumblr. spotify won't let me listen to the bonus tracks for some reason.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 2:03 am

eagles1139 wrote:

I found it. OH. MY. GOSH. I don't have any words to describe how incredible Blue Dahlia is. How can I even cry this hard? How can I type through these tears? After hearing this album, I will never be the same again. Thank God for The Gaslight Anthem. I love you
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 5:38 am

My CD came today, and I can honestly say that this is the best album I have ever heard. I will post a coherent declaration of my love for this album tomorrow, but I am crying through this whole album and wondering how Brian can write such beautiful words that pierce my heart and soul in a such a way that makes me feel like he understands exactly how I feel about life and all of the things I have gone through. So far, my top three tracks are Handwritten, Mulholland Drive, and Too Much Blood, but Here Comes My Man, Mae, and National Anthem are way up there too. And Keepsake tore my heart out.

Who am I kidding? All of these songs are so incredible, I don't even know what my favorites are at this point. I'm just going off of what songs made me cry the most. I have had the highest expectations for this album, it was just ridiculous, and these songs have blown all of my expectations out of the water. I couldn't have even imagined a better album. Not in my wildest dreams.

I've been really touched by what you said about your reaction to Handwritten. Although I make very little connection with the life stories that Brian tells, I still make an emotional connection with his work that also reduces me to tears. I've never reacted quite like that to anyone else's work before, and that, and the fact that Brian is genuine, is no doubt why I am such a fan.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 6:11 am

Shannon for Gaslight Anthem fan of the month!
Back to top Go down
PPQ
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 7:16 am

I think they take Blue Dahlia as a bonus because it sounds to similar to a Springsteen-standard at the beginning.
Back to top Go down
http://politplatschquatsch.com
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 8:20 am

That's interesting what you said about Keepsake. I can totally see where you're coming from. I took it though as the angry guitar is more indicative of where he's at with this aspect of his life. Like he's not "crying" about it so he's not gonna "cry out". I saw it more as like as a mature adult looking back, he's still angry and he's saying calmly, "you know, I got these things on my mind and I'm gonna say them to you and then I'm done. That chapter is closed". So I saw it more as that angry but calm undertone than a sad sort of moaning. That's my take.

I get what you're saying, completely. And I really need to hear it again with a clearer mind. What I'm really interested in hearing is the live version - because I can picture Brian really belting out the lyrics. The mix on the record seems to swim his vocals in with the guitar. I dunno... more listening required!

I kind of agree with you on National Anthem. I mean I enjoy the song a lot and I think it's a good tone to close the album on but I get what you mean when you say it doesn't sound honest. I think it's because for the most part Brian writes about himself, and looking at the lyrics I don't think he's writing about himself at all in that song. He got away with it with Bring it On because he was still apart of that mess just not necessarily the guy singing it. I think he's trying to do (shoot me now for the Springsteen comparison) what springsteen does in writing about other people or from other perspectives and I feel like I didn't buy it simply b/c it's not what he usually does.

This! Well said. I think you're exactly right!
Back to top Go down
sportshack
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 8:32 am

why do you think brian isn't writing about himself? to me it seems like it could be him. i like the song. mae is one of my favourites too, but I agree the last two songs don't seem to fit right in terms of it being a 'gaslight' album.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 9:23 am

Mulholland Drive is so growing on me. I love it now.

I never thought it was a bad song, but I now appreciate how good of a song it is.

I like how 'dancey' it is
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 9:31 am

strange to see a Gaslight Anthem album on sale in this week's Best Buy ad but that's another perk of signing with a major.
Back to top Go down
IAmDisappeared
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
IAmDisappeared

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 10:48 am

Blue Dahlia is incredible and it's not even on the proper album! Its one of the best songs theyve ever done and better than anything on the album.
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 12:00 pm

blue dahlia is my favorite song of all time.

it affects me that much... incredible Clap
Back to top Go down
Brother Beck
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Brother Beck

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 12:10 pm

One of the really interesting things about this album is that people seem to have very varying ideas about which tracks are the strongest and which are the weakest - with many people listing other peoples' favorites as their least-favorites and vice-versa. I know I am ridiculously biased, but doesn't it seem that Blue Dahlia is getting almost overwhelmingly positive reactions from people considering its relegated-to-bonus-track status...?

I also find it very interesting to see how the hardcore Gaslght fans have been reacting to National Anthem - a song that was almost unanimously praised in the prerelease publication and online reviews. Especially in light of it coming out that it's sort of a Brian solo song, at leas in terms of instrumentation / recording.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 20 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love
Page 20 of 35Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27 ... 35  Next