DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)

Go down 
+31
'49mercury
StitchesOnTheRadio
EveryLittleSecret
mingus
Vibes
Steve70s
rsj
LuceroDiehard
Holland
Camus
njguy99
TGA30
YouCanCallMeSally
Christophe
Jerseyrain
jeffrey2
simo
jonnyz83
plugga
Bea
B701
big blue
enola
steady now steady now
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Rizz
NeverTrustAJunkie
Debonair
eagles1139
TGAforLIFE
Shrewsbury_Stars
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Holland wrote:
Morrissey? a douchebag NO WAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

excuse me while I insult you on the internet.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:41 pm

plugga wrote:
Holland wrote:

But he is an old slightly out of shape man who tears his shirt off at moments of excitement, what possibly can you insult about that??
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:42 pm

I love where this thread is going...
lol!
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Holland wrote:
plugga wrote:
Holland wrote:

But he is an old slightly out of shape man who tears his shirt off at moments of excitement, what possibly can you insult about that??

I'm gonna have to use this

Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Dog-slap-funny-gifs-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-72
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Damn violent dog you never cease to distract me from a pointless musical argument.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:52 pm

JUSTICE WINS ONCE AGAIN.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 1:01 pm

when did Morrissey and The Smiths get adopted by the punks?

Do people still call themselves punk these days - fuck me!
Back to top Go down
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 2:51 pm

not sure if this is the place to post this, but I noticed that El Jefe has some of the posters from the Asbury solo show on his etsy store...

http://www.etsy.com/shop/eljefedesign?ref=seller_info

even has the Fall 2009 tour poster... *wants* $$$
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Where's all this hate stuff?

It's pretty sad really. I mean I disagreed with Brian about some of the things he said, but hey, people have different opinions and if The Smiths aren't to his personal taste then who cares? I saw Johnny Marr twice recently at his sons gigs though and I agree with that comment mind.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:03 pm

bringiton wrote:

It's pretty sad really. I mean I disagreed with Brian about some of the things he said, but hey, people have different opinions and if The Smiths aren't to his personal taste then who cares? I saw Johnny Marr twice recently at his sons gigs though and I agree with that comment mind.

I think some of the hateful remarks on Punknews are disgusting to be honest. Why shouldn't Brian be able to give his own honest opinion about bands and music? I agree completely with him on the Replacements and the Smiths. They both have a few great songs but when I look at all of their work I'm not that impressed to be honest. It's not like Brian's come out and said 'I fucking hate the Replacements they're the worst band ever'! Some people's reactions are a joke.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:08 pm

Since the internet began people, especially angry teenagers, love to say ridiculous stuff to get arguments going. Especially if they know someone famous will be reading it. So anything hateful on Punknews or Blabbermouth or even BrooklynVegan is not surprising. SNL had a whole sketch about internet haters once.
Back to top Go down
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:11 pm

The funny thing is Brian is the type of guy who does change his opinions from time to time... I've definitely heard interviews that are maybe 1-2+ years old, where he will say something and then completely contradict himself in another interview. That's just the way some people are, maybe even most people. We grow, we change, we have new ideas... it just so happens that he's in the public eye, so when he changes his mind, or says one thing and then says another - a lot more people notice.

As for the Smiths thing, I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one older interview where Brian has said basically the same thing, that the other guys (mainly Alex R) love The Smiths, and they are an influence to the band, but Brian has never especially been into them... funny how he's getting all the heat for it now. Who cares? It did seem like he didn't especially want to be there. Some really great acoustic versions though, thank you again for the upload!

Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Christophe wrote:
bringiton wrote:

I think some of the hateful remarks on Punknews are disgusting to be honest. Why shouldn't Brian be able to give his own honest opinion about bands and music? I agree completely with him on the Replacements and the Smiths. They both have a few great songs but when I look at all of their work I'm not that impressed to be honest. It's not like Brian's come out and said 'I fucking hate the Replacements they're the worst band ever'! Some people's reactions are a joke.

Yeah I agree. I mean that wasn't my favourite interview with him I've seen, some of the stuff he said was a bit negative but hey, it's his opinion. Anyone attacking his weight/religion/family is a million times worse than just saying a band is crappy. I think it's best to just ignore them as I'm sure he will too, I can bet that none of these lowlifes would say a word to his face.

Oh and Punknews linking to his Twitter thing came across as a bit sly to be honest.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:57 pm

JADEDPUNKHULK ‏ @JADEDPUNKHULK
@GASLIGHTANTHEM GASLIGHT HULK FRIENDS. BUT FRIENDS NO LET FRIENDS TALK ABOUT JAWBREAKER THAT WAY.

The Gaslight Anthem ‏ @gaslightanthem
@JADEDPUNKHULK Sorry Hulk, it was a fire off at the mouth aimed at elitists who tell you what you have to like. bad mood, my fault. -brian
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 4:00 pm

and another...

brendan kelly ‏ @badsandwich
a while ago @briangaslight called the Lawrence Arms a modern day Replacements. After hearing what he thinks of the Replacements, I agree.

Brian Fallon ‏ @briangaslight
@badsandwich it was mouth spouting... I was a cranky baby that day. My fault.
Back to top Go down
big blue
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Yeah, I also got the vibe from the interview that he wad cranky that night. The comment about his van being wrapped in seran wrap (which is great, by the way), followed by "I guess I win" was a bit obnoxious. But, dont we all have bad days? People need to look at a persons behavior as a whole before they pass judgment.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 4:22 pm

jesus these people are hilarious.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 4:26 pm

I can't wait to see all the trolls who come out during the twitter chat tonight.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 4:30 pm

I am going to quote myself and say that they look like teenagers dealing with their hormones, looks like one of those bieber/one direction twitter fights.
oh well.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 4:34 pm

If anything, it's only going to get worse in that regards I think, as they do more and more press, and there's more and more chance of them having bad days and getting quoted on something they wished they hadn't said. Some people forget, we are all only human, and I doubt they lead a holier than thou life, with no regrets or things said in haste.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 5:17 pm

I agree with you guys. It seemed like he was in a really bad mood, he even said he didn't want to be there at one point (he was nice about it and went on to say he was going to play more songs) but I think he made a similar comment on something else recently where he said he didn't want to be there.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think Brian is in a really hard place of still trying to scrap it out on the schoolyard, when people make negative comments towards him, and not care because, "look at me now." I'm sure he'll get it sorted out eventually. He's in a really hard place/time where his popularity is getting crazy.... he seems to like to be a pretty private guy.... then add in that people stalk his wife's instagram, apparently steal personal photos, and then go re-blogging for every fangirl on tumblr to see...well... I'd be in a bad mood too. At the same time, it's gonna happen, so it's something he's going to have to figure out how to deal with, regardless of the fact that it's a completely s***y thing for any fan to do. (Just my .02)

I'm sure the twitter feed will be interesting, I hope he just ignores the a-holes rather than wasting his time on them or getting upset. :/
Back to top Go down
Van Der Twix
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Van Der Twix

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 5:35 pm

From Matty Can Write on Tumblr (Matt from Matt and Mondo's Punk Rock Power Hour) Could not agree more.
http://mattycanwrite.tumblr.com/post/21389889503/ramblin-about-brian-fallon-and-unpopular-opinions

Quote :
Yesterday Brian Fallon got himself in some hot water with some comments made about The Replacements and Jawbreaker. Basically (for any of you that were living under a rock or have no idea who Brian Fallon is) The Gaslight Anthem front man said that while he enjoys some of the aforementioned bands catalog, he isn’t really a fan of either.

(For the record, I thought his comments on Johnny Marr were far worse…true or not…but that’s neither here nor there).

So Fallon isn’t a fan of The Replacements or Jawbreaker. Does that really change your opinion of Gaslight Anthem? It shouldn’t. I’m not saying that I completely agree with the guy (yes on The Replacements, no on Jawbreaker), but Fallon is entitled to his own opinion. You can argue whether or not Fallon should have made the comments in the first place (he probably shouldn’t have), or if he was baiting the people who comment punknews.org (or being baited by the interviewer who I kind of thought fanned the flames), but you can’t argue with Fallon’s opinion.

Ignoring the fact that Fallon once covered a Replacements song for now (which can really boil down to him liking “Left of The Dial” as he did say The Replacements had some good songs; and the rest of the band being big Replacements fans, hence the “We wouldn’t be a band without The Replacements” quote), there are two big issues I see in regards to the opposition and criticism that Fallon is facing because of the comments made.

First, there’s the group of people that cannot accept that an artist they respect, admire and look up to is not a fan of a band that they love. Second, and this one irks me a ton more, there’s a group of people who have turned their back on Fallon because they believe that he (by Gaslight Anthem gaining a sizable following) turned his back on them.

I can understand the disappointment to hear that an artist you admire isn’t into your favorite band(s). It would be kind of a bummer to learn that someone like Fallon or Chuck Ragan isn’t a fan of Bad Religion. But I can’t say that it would change my opinion about Gaslight Anthem or Hot Water Music. I don’t listen to either band with any thought or correlation to Bad Religion. I listen to both bands because I enjoy their music. Sometimes, you have to take that at face value. If start digging deep into any band, you’ll find something you don’t like about the members, be it personal or philosophical.

And the truth is, we all feel the same way that Fallon described about bands that people love. The Misfits have some great songs, but I wouldn’t call myself a Misfits fan. “This Charming Man” may be one of the greatest songs ever written, but I can’t really say that I like The Smiths. The Beatles are universally loved, but I don’t see the big deal. Same goes for Pearl Jam, AC/DC, Dillinger Four, Screeching Weasel, Radiohead, Muse, Dead Kennedys, and about 100 other bands.

And sometimes we just outgrow bands. It happens. I loved Saves The Day growing up, but I can’t tell you the last time I played a Saves The Day song. Same goes for Get Up Kids an New Found Glory. It happens.

That feeling will fade away over time. It’s the other point that irritates me.

I understand the feeling of discovering a band and keeping them for yourself. I know it kind of sucks when the frat boys and football team start get into the band and start going to the shows.

But you know what sucks more? Watching that band you discovered essentially fade away.

And why would you ever hate on anybody for achieving success. When your friend gets a job promotion, do you tell him “Hey! Fuck you, sellout?” “I liked you back when you were in the mail room making minimum wage and not able to pay your rent?” No! You’re stoked for your friend. So why shouldn’t the same apply for the bands you love? So what if Gaslight Anthem is playing with Soundgarden and on a major label? They were never really a punk rock ethos band to begin with.

Yeah, it’s a bummer to know that Gaslight Anthem isn’t that little secret we all knew and loved, but so were The Lawrence Arms and The Loved Ones. Where are those bands now? I’d much rather have Gaslight gain a larger audience if it means the band can continue making music.

And who knows. Maybe ten years from now you’ll speak of Gaslight Anthem the same way Brian spoke of The Replacements and Jawbreaker; nothing more than nostalgia. And that’s fine. But then you’ll understand what he meant.
[url=
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:11 pm

@TheBloodyMess: @briangaslight @gaslightanthem why were you such a negative Nancy at the Red Bull Q&A? #askbrian
from Washington, DC
The Gaslight Anthem ‏ @gaslightanthem Close
@TheBloodyMess @briangaslight I was pissed @ people being elitist. Like what I like or I hate you type thing. I said it to piss them off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)   Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12) - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Asbury Park: The Press Room solo show (3/31/12)
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7