DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What covers would you like to hear?

Go down 
+28
Snap
IKeeptheDiner
Turn the Casanova On
micwatson
lynchyeatspizza
isthisreal
noble_man
ilockyer
redd
tdawg
KittyKat
Stalls_Standing
simo
steph
Daire
Deeper Shade of Blue
Prisoner
MissTiffers
Reinvent good times
Chris
Refused
mescalero
hostutca
Vibes
TonyRockyHorror
Jukebox Romeo
ksupilot
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 3:00 pm

I don't think how his voice is compared to Mick's is too important. I mean, it's not as if Brian is going to try and imitate Mick. I think they could put their own spin on it. Personally I think Mick's sentimental lyrics would fit TGA better than Joe's more politically charged ones.
Back to top Go down
KittyKat
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
KittyKat

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 5:48 pm

I'm gonne change the tone a bit, but I could really see them having a blast on stage with a punk spin on some Monkees!!!

Last Train to Clarksville
I'm A Believer
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 5:58 pm

I'm A Believer? That could be potentially awesome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
KittyKat
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
KittyKat

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 6:06 pm

Very Happy Definitely!...and I was thinking some Elvis might work too, but not sure what songs?
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 6:54 pm

"Barbed Wire Love" by Stiff Little Fingers could be fun.
Back to top Go down
redd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
redd

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 1:06 pm

Hold On- Tom Waits
Please Call Home- Allman Brothers
Rosalie- Thin Lizzy

edit:
Neil Young- Cowgirl in the Sand
Stones- Winter or I got the Blues
Back to top Go down
ilockyer
A Contender
A Contender
ilockyer

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 2:24 pm

Probably the obvious one, well to me anyway, would be for him to do Jersey Girl by Tom Waits. In fact, any Tom Waits song would be good by me.

If I Ever Leave This World Alive by Flogging Molly, reckon Brian would do a top job on this one.

Or, if we're looking for a Jersey shore classic, maybe I Don't Want To Go Home by Southside?
Back to top Go down
redd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
redd

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 4:09 pm

ilockyer wrote:
Probably the obvious one, well to me anyway, would be for him to do Jersey Girl by Tom Waits. In fact, any Tom Waits song would be good by me.

If I Ever Leave This World Alive by Flogging Molly, reckon Brian would do a top job on this one.

Or, if we're looking for a Jersey shore classic, maybe I Don't Want To Go Home by Southside?

tom waits is my favorite of all time. he writes lyrics and stories about marias and waitresses, truckers, and gangsters, strippers and drunks. he says things i wish i'd said. it'd be a perfect fit for these cats.

tom waits saved and changed my life.
Back to top Go down
noble_man
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 4:31 pm

redd wrote:

Rosalie- Thin Lizzy

was that not a bob seger song ? and then thin lizzy covered ! i wud love brian to do anything by thin lizzy ... but i wud love to hear dancing in the moonlight
Back to top Go down
ilockyer
A Contender
A Contender
ilockyer

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 6:21 am

noble_man wrote:
redd wrote:

Rosalie- Thin Lizzy

was that not a bob seger song ? and then thin lizzy covered ! i wud love brian to do anything by thin lizzy ... but i wud love to hear dancing in the moonlight

Yes, from his Back In 72 album (thanks to Wiki)
Back to top Go down
redd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
redd

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 12:45 pm

nice. i didn't know that it was a cover....about to seek out the original. (though i prefer phil lynott to bob seeger by like 1000 percent).

i love the eff outta some Thin Lizzy. maybs "she knows" would be very cool.

What about The Faces ooh la la?1 that would be killer.
Back to top Go down
noble_man
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 1:18 pm

here is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3uaxZBThj8

its a good weee tune .... but myself prefer the thin lizzy verison...

what about waiting for an ailbi ??? wud b mental =D
Back to top Go down
redd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
redd

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 1:39 pm

good lookin out noble_man! i appreciate that and concur.

i think with covers it's just sortof your favorite songs. at least for me. i want to hear my favorite bands play my favorite songs. in my mind it's always a song they would know(.....you know, because we probably love the same bands. wink)

Because i love Brian Fallon's voice i want to hear him sing:

"god bless your crooked little heart,
st. Louis got the best of me.
I miss your broken china voice
how i wish you were still here with me."

(and then ill go crawl into a hole. wink)

know what im sayin, it's sortof selfish....in the nice way.

it's like that Nick Hornby line from High Fidelity, "it's what you like, not what you are like that matters."

heh.
Back to top Go down
ilockyer
A Contender
A Contender
ilockyer

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 2:57 pm

On the subject of The Faces, Brian could do a stunning version of Debris. Saw Billy Bragg & Ian McLagan do that a few years back.
Back to top Go down
redd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
redd

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 3:18 pm

wow, i bet that was stellar!

i assume you're into the whole Billy Bragg and Wilco thing right? Mermaid Avenue? (woodie guthrie) have you noticed the striking similarities in the melodies of "way over yonder in the monor key" and "red at night?" its gotta be intentional right?

has this already been discussed?

both songs are great.
Back to top Go down
ilockyer
A Contender
A Contender
ilockyer

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 5:22 pm

Don't know if it has been discussed, Brian did, I believe, cover Way Over Yonder with Frank Turner on the European tour, though I didn't hear it. If I get this right there's a version of this same song from Asbury Park on 8 May 2009 for you to listen to.

http://rapidshare.com/files/258082390/15_ain_t_nobody_that_can_sing_like_me.mp3.html

And, edited, to answer your question, I hadn't actually noticed it, just thought that Red At Night sounded like something else but couldn't place what.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 6:15 pm

No Woman, No Cry by Bob Marley would be awesome. or Redemption Song
Back to top Go down
redd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
redd

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 6:47 pm

ilockyer wrote:
Don't know if it has been discussed, Brian did, I believe, cover Way Over Yonder with Frank Turner on the European tour, though I didn't hear it. If I get this right there's a version of this same song from Asbury Park on 8 May 2009 for you to listen to.

http://rapidshare.com/files/258082390/15_ain_t_nobody_that_can_sing_like_me.mp3.html

And, edited, to answer your question, I hadn't actually noticed it, just thought that Red At Night sounded like something else but couldn't place what.

Awesome mang, wow, so there's that. homage.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 9:06 pm

redd wrote:
wow, i bet that was stellar!

i assume you're into the whole Billy Bragg and Wilco thing right? Mermaid Avenue? (woodie guthrie) have you noticed the striking similarities in the melodies of "way over yonder in the monor key" and "red at night?" its gotta be intentional right?

has this already been discussed?

both songs are great.

It's defiently intentional. Brian's talked about it interviews. How he just changed some lyrics and some chords and recorded. Can't remember why exactly, but he did it. I read an interview where he answered a question about it in the last few days, but I can't for the life of me remember where it was. If I find it again I'll post a link.
Back to top Go down
isthisreal
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 1:13 pm

I'd like to here a full version of What Becomes of the Broken Hearted and Stand By Me, as opposed to using them as muscial interludes.

I also think Fallon could do an amazing solo cover of Highway Patrolman.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 4:01 pm

That's a good shout for a full cover of 'What Becomes of the Broken Hearted'.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 12:09 am

i wanna hear Kids and Heroes, Simple Man, Midnight Mile, Lean On Sheena, or Kid, all by the Souls (except Sheena, which was originally by Avoid One Thing)
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 4:02 am

Night on Earth would also be a sick TBS cover!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
micwatson
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 10:06 am

i bet they'll cover layla by eric clapton this next tour..which is awesome
Back to top Go down
Turn the Casanova On
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Turn the Casanova On

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 11:52 am

Bouncing Souls - Lean on Sheena (that's right, a cover of a cover What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_smile )
Lifetime - Cut the Tension
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What covers would you like to hear?   What covers would you like to hear? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What covers would you like to hear?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next