DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...

Go down 
+8
colmillionaire
Johnny99
IKeeptheDiner
kieran
Daire
brianisbae
fullcollapse
ShieldYourEyes
12 posters
AuthorMessage
ShieldYourEyes
A Contender
A Contender
ShieldYourEyes

Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Empty
PostSubject: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 1:19 am

Naked Raygun - Early punk/hardcore from Chicago. I was REALLY fortunate to see these guys play in the first few days of the beginning of last year with Hot Water Music. Growing up I always heard about them but never really listened to them more than a few songs...boy was I missing out. One part fast, one part slow, one part pissed off and one part comical. Check out the albums: Understand?, Jettison, All Rise, and Throb, Throb.

Guided By Voices - Lo-Fi, Indie Rock and Roll from Dayton, Ohio. This band really pushed the lo-fi genre into more ears of listeners than any other I can think of. For fans of Pavement, Dinosaur Jr., and Sonic Youth, they're a bit eccentric at times but incredibly profound lyrics and melodies really draw you in. I first heard these guys about 2 years ago from a friend and I'm glad it happened. Made up of 5 guys from Dayton who like to drink beer, watch sports, and play tunes in their basement. They're in their mid to late 50's now and when I saw the classic line up reunion last October they put on a high energy show that bests their 20-30 something counterparts any day of the week. Check out the albums: Alien Lanes, Bee Thousand, Do the Collapse, and Vampire on Titus.

The Replacements - Okay, okay, you've all probably heard these guys thanks to TGA's cover of "Left of the Dial" but if you haven't heard anything else by them, PLEASE do so as soon as humanly possible. Rock and roll never sounded better through my speakers than when it was coming from Paul Westerberg's vocal chords and power chords. I, too, found out about them through TGA, but took it and ran with it and I am now a lifetime fan. Westerberg's solo writing has done a lot for my own writing style musically and I'm thankful for that. He's emotional and poetic with tinges of sarcasm if you're listening close enough. Check out the albums: Tim, Pleased to Meet Me, and Let It Be.

Gorilla Biscuits - In my mind, these guys embody the best aspects of New York hardcore in the 80's. I grew up listening to these guys and when they reunited and toured the states in 2006, I was floored! I saw them in a club outside Chicago, Illinois with Murphys Law, Comeback Kid, and some local acts. A piece of me was fulfilled that night. They advocated free thought, compassion, loyalty, and energy in their music and that always resonated with me. It's fast, it's aggressive, it's pissed off and to me, it's a hell of a lot of fun! They'll probably never play more shows in the states, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Check out the albums: Start Today and Gorilla Biscuits.

Bob Dylan - No other musician has had a more profound effect on me as a person, musician, or writer than Bob Dylan. I was a senior in High School when I first decided to give his music a listen. I always heard his name and had seen him on TV growing up but never knew what he was all about. I remember asking a friend, shortly after streaming his greatest hits album on line, if they listened to Bob Dylan and my friend said "I try not to." This was because he didn't find Dylan's vocals to be pleasing...at all. I quickly defended Dylan's singing technique and saying the raunchiness is WHY it was beautiful, at least to me. Dylan truly is the master poet and with a career spanning multiple decades he's been able to perfect his craft, though I, and many others, would argue that he perfected it ages ago. When he kicks off it will be the second most devastating music death to me beside Joe Strummer, but hopefully I can enjoy his work for several more years yet. Albums to check out: The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Desire, Bringin' It All Back Home, The Times They Are a Changin', and Infidels.

I could write endlessly on the music I think other people should listen to, but, I want this to facilitate a discussion. If you haven't heard any of these artists search them out, preferably in your local record store. Buy a CD or LP and go home and spend time with it. Or, to speed up the discussion part, YouTube or Google these acts. I don't think anyone could be let down by any of these bands, but everyone's taste is different.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 2:31 am

Kinda surprised you didn't add Anti Flag on the list since you love em so much.
Back to top Go down
ShieldYourEyes
A Contender
A Contender
ShieldYourEyes

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 3:33 am

I considered it, but I wanted to give nods to older bands that get lost in the shuffle these days. In all honesty, as much I love Anti-Flag, there are other bands I would argue that I like even more as weird as that is.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 7:19 am

I'm not sure how, but I never really got into GBV. It's really strange since I'm from the Dayton area and all. nothing against 'em, just... never fully appealed to me. I'm kinda disappointed in this fact.

I'm not sure that I have much to add to this list that all other forum members aren't completely aware of and would agree on. ha. But, there's Manic Street Preachers, although I don't know if I have enough time and space to launch into why I think everyone needs to hear them. I'll offer a permalink to a blog post I made regarding albums I love: http://thescenery.net/?p=44 just do a text search for "manic" or scroll down to the third album pictures there... my little writeup I have about them might give you an idea of the kind of investment that this band has from their fans.

It's true that TGA has stolen my heart and kind of become everything to me, but the Manics will always be right there beside them, because they were the first band that made me say, alright, this is what my life is. They've been around a long time and released some not-so-stellar stuff but when it comes to the core of what they are, where they've come from, and what they've meant to the people who've truly listened, I'll never not wear my love for them like a badge of honor. They're simply great.
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 12:26 pm

Frank Turner too!
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 12:53 pm

fullcollapse wrote:
I'm not sure how, but I never really got into GBV. It's really strange since I'm from the Dayton area and all. nothing against 'em, just... never fully appealed to me. I'm kinda disappointed in this fact.

I'm not sure that I have much to add to this list that all other forum members aren't completely aware of and would agree on. ha. But, there's Manic Street Preachers, although I don't know if I have enough time and space to launch into why I think everyone needs to hear them. I'll offer a permalink to a blog post I made regarding albums I love: http://thescenery.net/?p=44 just do a text search for "manic" or scroll down to the third album pictures there... my little writeup I have about them might give you an idea of the kind of investment that this band has from their fans.

It's true that TGA has stolen my heart and kind of become everything to me, but the Manics will always be right there beside them, because they were the first band that made me say, alright, this is what my life is. They've been around a long time and released some not-so-stellar stuff but when it comes to the core of what they are, where they've come from, and what they've meant to the people who've truly listened, I'll never not wear my love for them like a badge of honor. They're simply great.

+1 on the Manics. When they're good, they're so so good! Everyone should check out the Holy Bible. Unreal.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Daire wrote:
fullcollapse wrote:

+1 on the Manics. When they're good, they're so so good! Everyone should check out the Holy Bible. Unreal.

Seconded Holy Bible is such a dark intense album a must hear for sure. I was glad when I saw them we got a few oldies like of walking abortion.

Guided by voices are awesome for people that havnt heard them the compliation album is a pretty good starting point imo and then go from there.

Also I feel inclined to throw in my two cents

Sonic Youth
Jawbreaker
Leatherface
Nomeansno
My Bloody Valentine
Back to top Go down
ShieldYourEyes
A Contender
A Contender
ShieldYourEyes

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Jawbreaker and Leatherface were runners up for me, too.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 4:38 pm

This MSP talk reminds me of one of my favourite crap jokes.

What's it called when insane people send messages to the clergy over Twitter?
Manics Tweet Preachers...
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 pm

kieran wrote:

Nomeansno

Definitely! Have you ever seen them live? I saw them a few months ago and I cannot believe they still have it all in them. Outstanding.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 8:13 pm

fullcollapse wrote:
kieran wrote:

Nomeansno

Definitely! Have you ever seen them live? I saw them a few months ago and I cannot believe they still have it all in them. Outstanding.

I saw them in December at the ATP festival curated by GSY!BE they where not the best band I saw that weekend but damn it they where pretty solid and still have it for a bunch of oldies Razz

For those needing an album to start with start with Wrong then get hold of 0+2=1 and All Roads Lead to Ausfahrt.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Nightmares for a Week. Their from New York and starting to pick up speed. Just basic all around folky-punk-rock goodness. Would seriously hope everyone here checks them out.

http://www.myspace.com/nightmaresforaweek
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 2:42 pm

Against Me!

Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 4:26 pm

The Murder City Devils - Awesome garage rock from Seattle, Washington. Just reunited after 8 years of not being a band. I've seen em 3 times since then, they never disappoint. Spencer Moody is one of the most memorable frontmen in music. They've toured with Hot Water Music, At The Drive-In, American Steel, Botch, and opened up a tour for Pearl Jam back in the day.

Check out - Everything they've ever put out, after that grab the live record. It's absolutely bonkers.

The World/Inferno Friendship Society - They are an anarchist circus punk band from Brooklyn, NY. But when you listen please don't compare them to Gogol Bordello, that would break my heart. Waltz-y stuff. Franz (ex) The Hold Steady was in the band, as was Brian Vigilone from the Dresden Dolls. Jack Terricloth is also quite the memorable frontman. He honestly looks like a funeral director, use google images. Bring your girlfriend/boyfriend to go and see them. I broke my stage diving cherry to this band and wouldn't have it any other way. Paint it Black played too. It was awesome.

Check out - Red Eyed Soul, Just The Best Party
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
Aggieboy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm

You lot are all younger than me, so I've been lucky enough to see bands you will never be able to - The Clash, The Sex Pistols etc, so before you lose the chance to do so, I suggest you see Neil Young and Crazy Horse (shouldn't be difficult for you Yanks). Why? He is awesome that's why! Original, powerful and an inspiration to many - Pearl Jam, Kurt Cobain et al can't be wrong.

Last edited by Aggieboy on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ShieldYourEyes
A Contender
A Contender
ShieldYourEyes

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Aggieboy wrote:
You lot are all younger than me, so I've been lucky enough to see bands you will never be able to - The Clash, The Sex Pistols etc, so before you lose the chance to do so, I suggest you see Neil Young and Crazy Horse (shouldn't be difficult for you Yanks). Why? He is awesome that's why! Original, powerful and an inspiration too many - Pearl Jam, Kurt Cobain et al can't be wrong.

I am a HUGE Neil Young fan. Hoping to catch him sometime in the near future.
Back to top Go down
Aggieboy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 5:30 pm

ShieldYourEyes wrote:
Aggieboy wrote:
You lot are all younger than me, so I've been lucky enough to see bands you will never be able to - The Clash, The Sex Pistols etc, so before you lose the chance to do so, I suggest you see Neil Young and Crazy Horse (shouldn't be difficult for you Yanks). Why? He is awesome that's why! Original, powerful and an inspiration too many - Pearl Jam, Kurt Cobain et al can't be wrong.

I am a HUGE Neil Young fan. Hoping to catch him sometime in the near future.

Do it!!

Neil at his finest, just for the sake of it. Enjoy! bounce https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDzL_WU3mmE
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 10:17 pm

Neil hasn't been playing with Crazy Horse for a few years as far as I know. It's a good bet they will reunite at some point as they always do, but lately he's been doing the solo thing. Personally would love if he would go on an extended solo acoustic tour like he did in the southeast last year. I'm dying to see him. One of my all time favorites.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 10:21 pm

I love Uncle Neil!

Harvest is a kick ass album. also would love to see him live at least once.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 1:13 am

Frank Turner tweeted yesterday that they were trying to make the bass sound like the Harvest album. Great sign, huh?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 2:55 am

simo wrote:
Frank Turner tweeted yesterday that they were trying to make the bass sound like the Harvest album. Great sign, huh?

Great sign indeed.
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 2:03 pm

old alkaline trio
Back to top Go down
Silver
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Silver

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Nothington.

Saw them twice last year and they are fuckin' live grenades! Their latest album "Roads, bridges & ruins" sounds very similiar to SOS. Love this band so much.

Oh, and PASCOW from Germany!!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:32 pm

Lucero
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...   Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands I think everyone should hear at least once and why...
Page 1 of 1