DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Books, reading material - Gaslight linked?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
aelliott88
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
aelliott88

Books, reading material - Gaslight linked? Empty
PostSubject: Books, reading material - Gaslight linked?   Books, reading material - Gaslight linked? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 2:13 pm

Hey guys

Just got back from a great gig in Dublin last night and I am looking for some new reading material.

Does anybody have any good recommendations linked to the band perhaps where songs are influenced from?
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Books, reading material - Gaslight linked? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books, reading material - Gaslight linked?   Books, reading material - Gaslight linked? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 3:22 pm

I know that this is more about movies, but Brian does mention Jack Kerouac.

"From the very start, movies and books were always important for me when it came to writing. That's something I picked up from Dylan and Springsteen. A lot of people just stick with other musicians, but there's plenty of inspiration on your bookshelf or in your film collection. It was stuff like Dante's Inferno, and a lot of Jack Kerouac. With Kerouac, I really got into the travelling and the idea of not having a valid explanation for the constant travelling. As a touring musician, I suppose I appreciated the constant need to be on the move. His lifestyle was quite different to mine, though. I don't do drugs, I'm too focused, so that side didn't resonate with me. During the writing of American Slang, I was trying to educate myself on classic American movies that you really should watch but which I never got around to seeing. I dug in to Martin Scorsese's movies a lot, Chinatown with Jack Nicholson, that sort of thing."

(Brian Fallon - The Irish Times, 11 June 2010)

My own movie recommendation, as in "if Gaslight wrote a movie", is Rumble Fish. As it is based on a novel, you could check out S.E. Hinton's other writings.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org

Books, reading material - Gaslight linked?
Page 1 of 1