DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reading Old Interviews

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

Reading Old Interviews Empty
PostSubject: Reading Old Interviews   Reading Old Interviews Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Just found this page on sideonedummy's site that collects all the press for AS and 59 Sound :

http://sideonedummy.com/bands/the-gaslight-anthem/tga-press

Thought it would be cool to go back and read the old interviews with Brian. Turns out it really is awesome to read his thoughts as the band is reaching success in real time.

One thing I will point out though, is that Brian is kinda big on contradictions when talking about the music. One quote stuck out to me from this interview:
http://sideonedummy.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/TGA_Altercation.jpg

Q: Care to comment on the imagery intended by the title?
A: The '59 Sound is classic cars, guys and dolls, malt shops, Elvis and American pie. It's whatever you remember as an easier time. I'm drawn to that dream.

I read that and can't imagine how he now responds so negatively to being asked about his lyrics being "nostalgic". In one interview he seems kinda ticked off about it. It's really clear from the '59 Sound that he is into that vintage stuff, and now I found an interview that confirms it.

I'm not slamming Brian but I wonder if he is a little self-conscious of how the "classic Americana imagery" label gets slapped together with the "Bruce Springsteen" label and thus he wants nothing to do with it anymore.

Trying to start a discussion here, no insult to Brian or the band intended

Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Reading Old Interviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading Old Interviews   Reading Old Interviews Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 5:12 am

I love going back and reading old interviews! Thanks for that link. And you raise a good point..

It's definitely not a new thing that Brian contradicts himself, haha. I think it's probably because he says what he feels in the moment, and then people take it too seriously and over react. He did write nostalgic stuff but I don't think he wanted to be labeled as "the guy who writes nostalgic songs" or "the next Springsteen" like you said. So he argues with that label and says "I'm not nostalgic" because that's not like "who he is" it's something he maybe feels at certain times, like anyone might. It's easy to forget that interview answers after all are only a piece of the puzzle that is Brian or Benny or whoever.

Not only that but we forget that between an interview from let's say 2008 and one from 2013, 5 years have passed. A lot of things can change in that time.

Back to top Go down

Reading Old Interviews
Page 1 of 1