DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Have Mercy lyrics

Go down 
+15
ral
mingus
borrowedcar
Jack
33RPMHero
Rizz
jensomniac
TGAFAN25
The_River
Ryan
ivienco
JacksSmirkingRevenge
White Man In Hammersmith
SirBrad
NervousFeet
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NervousFeet
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
NervousFeet

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 2:46 pm

Haven't seen this song getting much love yet - it's an iTunes bonus track but IMO one of the album's standouts. The female backing vocal really adds to the atmosphere of this track. Definitely for those who preferred MATZ and THC to Handwritten or the up-tempo singles released before this stream.

Some parts I'm unsure of. Enjoy

"Have Mercy"

Come pick me up from the night
from the hands of the dark
from the things I didn't know
that would simply break your heart
there were years in this room
blind and shattered in the glass
held it up to myself
'til I just couldn't stand
so don't ask me where I been
cause you don't wanna know
and don't ask me who I'm seein'
no, you don't wanna know
don't come around me here when I need you the most
leave it alone, leave a little room for the holy ghost.

And come take me out of the light
I don't feel you anymore
I came apart from myself
and from the crosses you wore
and the things in my soul
once my comfort and friend
I came to the reason and I lost you again

So don't ask me where I been
cause you don't wanna know
and don't ask me who I'm seein'
no, you don't wanna know
and don't come around me here when I need you the most
leave it alone... leave a little room for the holy ghost.

Now your pretty horse is runnin' wild and free
You can go and find a lover baby better than me
talkin' snow for days with your friends in L.A.
have mercy.
(x4)

Have mercy.
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 4:21 pm

I like it a lot but it's bullshit that I am buying 2 different vinyl versions (I know I only need one) plus the Deluxe CD spending whatever that cost me ($60?) and I'll have to drop another $10 just to get one song in digital format?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Absolutely love this song. Such an amazing vibe to it, and the rhythm of the vocals for the outro is already one of my favourites of all time!

How is this just a bonus track?!!! The boys have made some awful calls in the past with stuff like this ('She Loves You' anyone?) haha
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:11 pm

This is true...it's almost like they want to have a killer B Side or Bonus Track. They probably just really don't think the songs fits the theme of the rest of the album is my guess.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:43 pm

Yeah that's probably it. But with a stand out track like this I think it's better when it comes out of the blue and doesn't "fit" with the other songs. Like Blue Jeans on SeƱor.
Back to top Go down
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 pm

Same words I heard. And yeah, again with the habit of a bonus track that should've absolutely made the album proper. Wow, SO good.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 10:12 am

this song is just perfect.
Back to top Go down
Ryan
A Contender
A Contender
Ryan

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 11:41 am

Absolutely love this song, definitely one of the best on the album for me. Anyone have any idea what the "talking snow" lyric is all about?
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 12:01 pm

How the hell this one is the itunes bonus track. Like it's one of the best songs they ever wrote and it's just available to a few. It's not even supposed to be on the deluxe CD or vinyl. They should have put Halloween as the itunes bonus track.
Back to top Go down
NervousFeet
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
NervousFeet

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 12:05 pm

Ryan wrote:
Absolutely love this song, definitely one of the best on the album for me. Ā Anyone have any idea what the "talking snow" lyric is all about?

Here was my best guess for someone else on the forums who asked me to help her understand the lyrics (she isn't a native english speaker):

"I tried looking it up after hearing it but found nothing. It isn't a common phrase. I assume Brian essentially came up with it himself. I take it to either mean 1) something like 'shooting the crap' and 'small talk' and similar phrases that mean talking about random pointless things or 2) talkin snow could mean saying cold things -- like speaking badly of Brian to her friends.

This is my interpretation but I'm sorry I couldn't give a sure answer! "
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 12:27 pm

SirBrad wrote:
I like it a lot but it's bullshit that I am buying 2 different vinyl versions (I know I only need one) plus the Deluxe CD spending whatever that cost me ($60?) and I'll have to drop another $10 just to get one song in digital format?

So download the leak and delete all the tracks except this one. You've still paid a ton for the album and you're not spending $10 on for one song.

That makes sense...
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 12:27 pm

This song is incredible... Having an ex who lives in LA... The outro couldn't be more perfect for me
Back to top Go down
jensomniac
A Contender
A Contender
jensomniac

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 12:44 pm

NervousFeet wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Absolutely love this song, definitely one of the best on the album for me. Ā Anyone have any idea what the "talking snow" lyric is all about?

Here was my best guess for someone else on the forums who asked me to help her understand the lyrics (she isn't a native english speaker):

"I tried looking it up after hearing it but found nothing. It isn't a common phrase. I assume Brian essentially came up with it himself. I take it to either mean 1) something like 'shooting the crap' and 'small talk' and similar phrases that mean talking about random pointless things or 2) talkin snow could mean saying cold things -- like speaking badly of Brian to her friends.

This is my interpretation but I'm sorry I couldn't give a sure answer! "

---
^Option two there is a strong option.

The blessings and curses of lyrics are the room for interpretation and I love the exploration and speculation process. Also really love that songs resonate with people for different reasons despite its native intent.

Option three? Given East Coast winters (especially of late), the person is bemoaning being stuck in the nasty weather out of obligation(s) when everything is bright and sunny in LA - and consequently - presumed to be easier.
Back to top Go down
Rizz
A Contender
A Contender
Rizz

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 12:48 pm

I honestly thought it was another drug reference.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 1:13 pm

Snow = cocaine.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 1:20 pm

Talking snow is different than taking/doing snow....

I think it's Bs-ing, not thinking about the situation between them, just floating through life out in LA
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 1:22 pm

Yeah I agree the talking part doesn't exactly fit with the coke interpretation. But by saying "talking" it may suggest a relaxed almost trivialised use of the stuff. It's LA after all Wink
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 1:23 pm

I would love it if they busted it out tnoight, very curious what jams they're gonna play!
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 1:25 pm

If they do I hope someone films it! Would love to hear it live!
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:12 pm

I think he is actually talking about cocaine in the song. I think it's just the way it is worded...he isn't actually talking snow. I believe he's saying, I'm talking, doing snow for days with your friends in LA. He also has mentioned someone else's cocaine in Rollin and Tumblin too. I believe he is talking about the same person in both songs.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 12:04 am

Because of it being followed immediately by another reference to LA/California, I thought talking snow had to do with the weather, particularly the dichotomy between the East and West coasts.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 12:11 am

the girl voice at the end makes it a great ending
Back to top Go down
mingus
A Contender
A Contender
mingus

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 2:05 am

I've just decided that I want to marry whoever is singing those backing vocals. So please, a name and some pictures!
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 10:07 am

mingus wrote:
I've just decided that I want to marry whoever is singing those backing vocals. So please, a name and some pictures!

Her name is Natalie Prass. Right now she's in Jenny Lewis' band and has an album coming out this fall.

Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 11:00 am

^impressive response time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Have Mercy lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have Mercy lyrics   Have Mercy lyrics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Have Mercy lyrics
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next