DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics

Go down 
+12
CluckyB
HighLonesome
OldManShoes3
Steve70s
StitchesOnTheRadio
gtalbott
The Angry Johnny Revue
jzancan
bringiton_ty
Jack
NYYFAN523
eagles1139
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 3:19 am

A late-night listen to Elsie has me wondering how anyone could think it's not the best lyrical work Brian Fallon has done. Maybe you don't like the style, or the subject matter, but from a song-to-song, line-to-line basis how can anything beat this masterpiece?

"I got miles on my shoes that your brothers can't buy"
"In this dream I had, my screams were baby's breath"
"I hope the money fills the holes cause see the roof is caving in"
"I met you in the upper room of the house where I slept with the angels"

Not that I like Elsie more than Gaslight, I'm not sure that I do, but I wanted to get a discussion brewing now that we have had more time with Elsie and we have another Gaslight anthem album. I am strictly making the statement that from a lyrical standpoint, Elsie is unparalleled.
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 4:16 am

Elsie took a very long time to grow on me, and even now I need to be in a certain mood to listen to it, but lyrically is it my favorite of Brian's material.

"Be still my heart I age by years at the mention of your name" get's me every damn time... best lyric he ever wrote imo.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 9:38 am

Yep, Elsie's great lyrically. I think overall it's actually similar to the '59 Sound, despite being completely polar opposites on the surface. On both records Brian clearly had a vision and on both he absolutely nailed it. Those are the two records he's made that--to me--are such cohesive, concise statements. They hang together as albums so very well.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:03 pm

the music and lyrics just create an unbeliveable experience when this album is listened to in the depths of the night. I agree with "jackstreetcar" if compared then i feel its more of a 59sound style with the lyrics. Have it sing/soothe me to sleep often. nothing better than listening to elsie at night with cigarettes and bourbon Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 1:58 pm

Elsie hit me right from the get-go and, to this day, I still consider it the best album Brian Fallon has written without question. I loved, loved The '59 Sound for the emotional punch it had and huge connection I felt with the music, and American Slang jacked me up (in a good way). Handwritten has a lot of Elsie in it, I think (Too Much Blood, Mae, Mullholand Drive to name a few), but had more not-as-memorable but still really fun tracks on it.

Elsie, though, for me was something special on an objective, as well as a visceral, level--the lyrics, the music, the vocals, the whole style of it, I got totally wrapped up in. When I look at even The 59 Sound objectively, it's a group of great songs, a few fun throwaways, with a few tracks I'll never forget. It was a great album. With Elsie, even looking at it objectively, it did something more--it was perfect for me. There wasn't a song I didn't love; I never wanted to skip through it, not once, and even distancing myself from the initial excitement of the first listen, I think and feel the exact same way about it. I love TGA, but Elsie was the first album that truly made me think, regarding Brian Fallon as a musician and songwriter, "this man is a fucking professional."
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 2:01 pm

jzancan wrote:
Elsie hit me right from the get-go and, to this day, I still consider it the best album Brian Fallon has written without question. I loved, loved The '59 Sound for the emotional punch it had and huge connection I felt with the music, and American Slang jacked me up (in a good way). Handwritten has a lot of Elsie in it, I think (Too Much Blood, Mae, Mullholand Drive to name a few), but had more not-as-memorable but still really fun tracks on it.

Elsie, though, for me was something special on an objective, as well as a visceral, level--the lyrics, the music, the vocals, the whole style of it, I got totally wrapped up in. When I look at even The 59 Sound objectively, it's a group of great songs, a few fun throwaways, with a few tracks I'll never forget. It was a great album. With Elsie, even looking at it objectively, it did something more--it was perfect for me. There wasn't a song I didn't love; I never wanted to skip through it, not once, and even distancing myself from the initial excitement of the first listen, I think and feel the exact same way about it. I love TGA, but this was the first album that truly made me think, regarding Brian Fallon as a songwriter, "this man is a fucking professional."

definately agree with the quote there. I definately thought this guy is a proffesional after hearing this album. Its a hauntingly beautiful album Smile
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 2:13 pm

eagles1139 wrote:

Personally I don't really rate this line at all in comparison to any of the other Fallon greats, I feel like anyone could have come up with it. I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread but "Be still my heart, I age by years at the mention of you name," is my favourite lyric of all time and I think just may very well be the greatest line ever written, closely followed by "I spent my whole life, a little less up than my downs,"
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 2:26 pm

haha i agree with that line its one of my favourites and behold the hurricane is one of my all time brian fallon top 5!
Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gtalbott

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 2:46 pm

The 1st time in heard the chorus of Hurricane in the 30 SECOND SONG PREVIEW it hit me right in the gut. Same with the preview of Black Betty "Consider now the angels a little lower than you/ and they twist and they turn/ and they hold their breath 'till it's blue/ and they can't turn away like I can't/ when you're looking like you do"...I was hooked immediately.

It's far and away the best thing Brian's ever written. I love Gaslight, favorite modern rock band, but Elsie is a true lyrical masterclass.

Individual lines from Elsie can absolutely break me.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 2:51 pm

The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:

Personally I don't really rate this line at all in comparison to any of the other Fallon greats, I feel like anyone could have come up with it. I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread but "Be still my heart, I age by years at the mention of you name," is my favourite lyric of all time and I think just may very well be the greatest line ever written, closely followed by "I spent my whole life, a little less up than my downs,"

Yeah I wrote this really late at night and came up with the examples way too quickly....there's a ton of better lines on the album, including that Behold the Hurricane line.

A few other standouts:

"My footsteps ain't hung in your hallways enough for you to be truly haunted"
"All my debonair died in her arms one night, you go so quietly once you see the end"
"I'm sure she'd be laughing, conjuring spring with some fella who just said the right thing"
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 2:55 pm

Anyone whose had painful relationships i think gets floored when they hear behold the hurricane.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 3:36 pm

I agree with what everyone's saying. Without a doubt, his best lyrically. I love the writing on all of the Gaslight albums for different reasons but I think this album really shows how incredible of a songwriter Brian is. I'm glad he tried a more direct style with Handwritten, It's awesome, I just hope we continue to get this kind of writing in the future as well.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Imagine how long the wait would have been between American Slang and Handwritten with no Elsie to help out.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 3:52 pm

to hard to think about lol!
Back to top Go down
OldManShoes3
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
OldManShoes3

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 3:54 pm

I actually disagree with everyone here, but I understand where you are coming from. I haven't really had any bad relationships/heartbreak so I guess Elsie, as much as I love it, didn't hit me as hard lyrically as it did for other people. My favorite Brian Fallon lyrics come from songs like The Backseat, Drive, We're Getting a divorce, OWL, Casanova, Woody, Elvis, and Boxer, so basically songs about brothers, music, and "Maria". But that's just what applies to where I am in my life I guess, I'm sure a few years down the road things will be different and my perspective will change, so the lyrics that get to me will change.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 4:33 pm

I can really see a lot of THC in Handwritten - and I likes it.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 9:41 pm

eagles1139 wrote:

"I'm sure she'd be laughing, conjuring spring with some fella who just said the right thing"

On the surface this line may not seem like much but I have to agree with you. It can really hit home more than any over the top clever metaphor line could if you've been in the right situation. Can't believe I forgot about this one as it gets to me on every listen.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 4:32 am

thats an awesome line. took a moment for it to sink in but thats amazing
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 10:56 am

[quote="eagles1139"]
The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:

This line is simply perfect to me. It's so specifically tailored to the situation, but anyone who's had those thoughts or been through that specific situation will agree with me that it's absolutely the most painfully true thing about it all.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
HighLonesome
A Contender
A Contender
HighLonesome

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 12:23 am

Steve70s wrote:
Imagine how long the wait would have been between American Slang and Handwritten with no Elsie to help out.

Oh, my. As someone else said, this is almost a painful thought.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 3:48 am

"Still we sing with our heroes thirty three rounds per minute. We're never going home until the sun says we're finished. I'll love you forever if I ever love at all, with Wild Hearts, Blue Jeans, and White T-Shirts".

Elsie is a great album and certainly has some of Brian's best lyrics, but its sensationalist and flat out wrong to say the worst lyric on Elsie (I've got a crush on you...) are better than the best gaslight lyrics.

Even as a whole, I'd probably put the lyrics on par with T59S and below SATQ. Also comparing them is kinda like saying "The lyrics on Born to Run are better than the lyrics on Nebraska". Technically, you're correct but your still comparing two of the greatest lyrical works of all time and if there is a difference between them its razor thin.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 4:54 pm

Vixly wrote:
Steve70s wrote:

"Every record is a bridge, a path to elsewhere.
Just as every lost soul, shall always be found".
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Vixly wrote:
Steve70s wrote:

This is so true. Thank god we all had our Fallon Fix in 2011 cheers

But as for the question, I absolutely love Elsie and I think it is the best work Fallon has done. Obviously its debatable about whether the lyrics are better, some are, some aren't. Either way, I feel that they don't need to be compared, they're like children - each album, each song has its positives. I can go from dancing around my living room with friends to American Slang to sitting on my own in the pitch black listening to Elsie.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Elsie is the best Fallon album...period. I like Gaslight as a whole better, but Elsie is his best album...does that make since?
Back to top Go down
96'sound
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
96'sound

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 3:39 am

Steve70s wrote:

Too hard to think about it plus Discovering TGA late. I had no Idea what I was missing. TGA saved my soul and my mental state from ultimate destruction. BEST BAND EVER!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics   Elsie  lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elsie lyrics >>> any gaslight lyrics
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next