DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics

Go down 
+17
steady now steady now
DeathoftheCool
thomas94
Steve70s
rumham
zerb012345
RobertODonnell
The_River
Anya_TGA
Jaws
TGA30
bradleyjp
JimmyB
33RPMHero
pleasepassthesoup
StitchesOnTheRadio
eagles1139
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics   Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 1:47 am

pleasepassthesoup wrote:
Steve70s wrote:
Interesting "Great Depression" line which was also a Dave Hause title on Devour.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Dave song influenced Brian. They're obviously good friends and Devour came out probably around the time Brian would have been writing material for Get Hurt.

I wouldn't be surprised either if just Dave's use of "The Great Depression" as a title (since content-wise they don't relate at all) sparked the idea for that lyric. If you look at the lyrics for Get Hurt as well, where he talks about moving to California, Dave moved to Cali, and talks about it (or at least about moving someplace else) in his song Bricks. So I definitely see a connection there too.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics   Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 6:12 am

also reminds me of the line from fight club, "our great depression is our lives." the great depression thing is one of the coolest parts about this song's lyrics
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics   Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 6:16 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
pleasepassthesoup wrote:
Steve70s wrote:
Interesting "Great Depression" line which was also a Dave Hause title on Devour.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Dave song influenced Brian. They're obviously good friends and Devour came out probably around the time Brian would have been writing material for Get Hurt.

I wouldn't be surprised either if just Dave's use of "The Great Depression" as a title (since content-wise they don't relate at all) sparked the idea for that lyric. If you look at the lyrics for Get Hurt as well, where he talks about moving to California, Dave moved to Cali, and talks about it (or at least about moving someplace else) in his song Bricks. So I definitely see a connection there too.

there are also songs by The Jam and by Anti-Flag called 'The Great Depression'
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics   Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Yeah, I don't think that line has anything to do with Dave Hause. It's the Great Depression, it's a pretty common thing to reference...
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics   Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 12:39 pm

rumham wrote:
I assume the shimmy shimmy shake is a combination of the beatles or rancid. Take your pick

It's the Ol' Dirty Bastard
Back to top Go down
Brickwallview
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Brickwallview

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics   Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 8:52 am

From the song feel, for me I think when Brian is referring to 'Wish You Were Here' I dont think he means the Pink Floyd song but rather the Ryan Adams song. The song for me just ties in welll the the lyrics and almost the same sort of feel. If you havent heard the song I really believe you should check it out.
Back to top Go down
kristyn
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kristyn

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics   Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 8:03 pm

Okay guys:

SUPER IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Which came first:

People calling him The Great Depression
("I heard that they been callin' me The Great Depression")

or him calling himself The Great Depression
("I heard you got all my letters I signed The Great Depression")

Because if he called himself The Great Depression first, that means that this girl was going around telling everyone that his letters were weird. (Like, "Yeah, and this dude, he wrote me a bunch of letters and signed them all 'The Great Depression.' Crazy.")

Or perhaps people gave him the nickname and then he adopted it for himself and wrote the girl a bunch of letters.

I think Option 2 is more likely, but Option 1 is awfully swell.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
http://www.kristynchildres.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics   Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rollin' and Tumblin' Lyrics
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2