DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012

Go down 
+44
PJayBe
Blue Dahlia
pauldt1969
StitchesOnTheRadio
Darren
theratman
rdghst
Jagveer ///
UK Ellie
dancs85
The Boxer
bringiton_ty
norwegianstar
Raoul_Duke
Xanthias
CapedAvenger
oli1980
_rebekka_
KittyKat
NoSurrender
saraM87
mingus
Down by the Mersey
bringiton
oh_megan
AGoodTime
Camus
VanillaMintFusion
enola
ilockyer
kirstyt
The Major
drifter69
brucesboots
Christophe
plugga
luckyman
Steve70s
Jerseyrain
bobbyjames
Klown
White Man In Hammersmith
azlisa
steady now steady now
48 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Enjoyed hearing Boomboxes, Ferris Wheel and howl, I dont agree Mae is a good starting song though but didn't notice that National Anthem was out of tune. What was bad was the bass was too heavy and seemed to reverberate too much, Good show all in all though
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 11:42 pm

That's a shame about the sound for you guys. I wonder if it was a position in the crowd thing? Cuz someone got video of National Anthem that was HD and everything and it sounded amazing. Shame it didn't come off the same to you guys there. I thought (at least from that video) that his voice is still sounding amazing like it has at recent shows, did you guys find that to be true?

My opinion doesn't count because I wasn't at this show but I'd rather hear National Anthem than HLAYK because I'm bored of HLAYK and knowing it'll get played at every show, whereas I think you guys were the first ones to get NA in a concert setting? Woulda been a nice surprise, but that's my opinion and again, wasn't there.

Gotta disagree though about saying Mae's not a brilliant opener (although again personal opinion). They did that in NYC and you could hear a pin drop. I think everyone was awed. It might have been partly helped though by the twinkly lights they had on the backdrop. Idk, but for me it was the best opening to a concert ever. I like when they mix it up! I didn't get Mae or NA in Oakland, but i did get HLAYK, is it too late to trade shows? haha.

PS. I hate how much the crowd determines a person's experience, especially when it's negative.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 5:11 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
That's a shame about the sound for you guys. I wonder if it was a position in the crowd thing? Cuz someone got video of National Anthem that was HD and everything and it sounded amazing. Shame it didn't come off the same to you guys there. I thought (at least from that video) that his voice is still sounding amazing like it has at recent shows, did you guys find that to be true?

My opinion doesn't count because I wasn't at this show but I'd rather hear National Anthem than HLAYK because I'm bored of HLAYK and knowing it'll get played at every show, whereas I think you guys were the first ones to get NA in a concert setting? Woulda been a nice surprise, but that's my opinion and again, wasn't there.

Gotta disagree though about saying Mae's not a brilliant opener (although again personal opinion). They did that in NYC and you could hear a pin drop. I think everyone was awed. It might have been partly helped though by the twinkly lights they had on the backdrop. Idk, but for me it was the best opening to a concert ever. I like when they mix it up! I didn't get Mae or NA in Oakland, but i did get HLAYK, is it too late to trade shows? haha.

PS. I hate how much the crowd determines a person's experience, especially when it's negative.

Brians voice did sound great I thought, I'm not ure it was down to the position in the crowd. On the quiet ones where there is very little bass you wouldn't notice it but on a bassy song you could definitely tell it was a bit too much in my opinion, but Ive never been a fan of too much bass. As for Naional Anthem it was awesome to see the world premier of it, I can also get a bit sick of songs like HLAYK or Cowgirls and also QoLC so when they switch them out for rarer played songs Im happy. Dont get me wrong though I enjoyed the show, just wasn't quite as good as Koko last June.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 5:21 am

Jerseyrain wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:

Brians voice did sound great I thought, I'm not ure it was down to the position in the crowd. On the quiet ones where there is very little bass you wouldn't notice it but on a bassy song you could definitely tell it was a bit too much in my opinion, but Ive never been a fan of too much bass. As for Naional Anthem it was awesome to see the world premier of it, I can also get a bit sick of songs like HLAYK or Cowgirls and also QoLC so when they switch them out for rarer played songs Im happy. Dont get me wrong though I enjoyed the show, just wasn't quite as good as Koko last June.

I wasn't there for Koko but from what I heard that show set the bar pretty damn high haha, so I'm not surprised. I've had two great and two not so great experiences out of the regular headlining shows I've seen of these guys and it's frustrating when you get the not so great ones. The most frustrating part is it's usually not because of the band! It's usually crowd or technical issues. I agree with you about disliking too much bass. It kinda mucks up everything. Also you named exactly which songs that I wouldn't mind seeing disappear from the setlist for a bit in favor of other songs.
Back to top Go down
Darren
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 3:52 pm

That was more like it ! Great show from a great band. The sound was much better and I thought the pacing of the set was better. It could be that the set list fitted toghether better than Monday. Was realy hoping to hear 1930 at least once, but maybe next time !
Back to top Go down
ilockyer
A Contender
A Contender
ilockyer

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Really enjoyed yesterdays show. Still seems strange seeing them in such a big venue, but they're headed for bigger I expect.

I was lucky enough to be one of those who won tickets through HMV, and get access to the soundcheck too. We got to see them run through 5 songs, very strange being in there with no crowd (apart from the 10 lucky ones), they did 45, Queen Of Lower Chelsea, Diamond Street Church Choir, Desire, Changing Of The Guards.

The show itself was pretty special, a first timer was with us and previously was not convinced he'd like them due to them not being "punk" enough... he now gets it. Was really good to hear Angry Johnny and I'da Called You Woody, Joe again, do love Sink or Swim. The new stuff though, far and away the highlight. Handwritten was immense, 45 did what it always does, Biloxi Parish... but opening with Mae was an awesome choice. A song that slowly builds as it goes on is, IMO, perfect to open.

Strange hearing Here's Looking At You, Kid and them playing something other than Backseat next, but glad that the set ended with that. Some things should not be messed with!

Back to top Go down
Blue Dahlia
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Blue Dahlia

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 7:19 am

Quick question guys.... who was on first, Dave Hause or Blood Red Shoes? Off to the Birmingham show and wouldn't mind catching Dave Hause! Cheers in advance.
Back to top Go down
PJayBe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 7:50 am

Blue Dahlia wrote:
Quick question guys.... who was on first, Dave Hause or Blood Red Shoes? Off to the Birmingham show and wouldn't mind catching Dave Hause! Cheers in advance.

Dave Hause last night in Manchester, and early too, we missed the start off his set.

Philip
Back to top Go down
Blue Dahlia
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Blue Dahlia

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:07 am

PJayBe wrote:
Blue Dahlia wrote:

Dave Hause last night in Manchester, and early too, we missed the start off his set.

Philip

Ah, shame... may not get there in time but quite like what i've heard from him. Cheers though!
Back to top Go down
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:28 am

Blue Dahlia wrote:
PJayBe wrote:
Blue Dahlia wrote:

Philip

Ah, shame... may not get there in time but quite like what i've heard from him. Cheers though!

Dave Hause has been coming on at 7.30 for about a 30 minute set, then blood red shoes then Gaslight at about 9.15, there is rumours Birmingham might start early due to the venue turning into a night club, hope that dont mean short gig.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:44 am

Is Dave Hause's solo record available at the shows?

Also, I find Mae a strange opener as - for me - the whole of Handwritten builds up to it.

24 hours until Birmingham!!
Back to top Go down
Blue Dahlia
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Blue Dahlia

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:48 am

brucesboots wrote:
Blue Dahlia wrote:
PJayBe wrote:
Blue Dahlia wrote:

Philip

Dave Hause has been coming on at 7.30 for about a 30 minute set, then blood red shoes then Gaslight at about 9.15, there is rumours Birmingham might start early due to the venue turning into a night club, hope that dont mean short gig.

Let's hope not. Would be rather disappointing. I always find Saturday night gigs seem to be the best in terms of atmosphere. Less people at work the next day, more people merry etc etc (me included!) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ilockyer
A Contender
A Contender
ilockyer

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Steve70s wrote:

Also, I find Mae a strange opener as - for me - the whole of Handwritten builds up to it.

He had CD (£10) and vinyl (£15) at Brixton.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 1:40 pm

nice one - will grab a copy tomorrow - cheers!
Back to top Go down
Humbug
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Humbug

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi..first time poster..go easy Smile

Just listening back to the show (audio, unofficial), has the band ever covered Bon Iver (Blood Bank) before?

Cheers

Humbug
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson
Gaslight23

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 5:02 pm

Does anybody know what the song was that played after Gaslight left the stage at both dates, it was also played at manchester as people were leaving
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 6:13 pm

Gaslight23 wrote:
Does anybody know what the song was that played after Gaslight left the stage at both dates, it was also played at manchester as people were leaving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_I4wtNPv5w
Back to top Go down
backseat99
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
backseat99

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 6:31 pm

omg yes! Thank you so much, heard this on the American Slang tour, amazing tune and just couldnt remember who it was, cheers!
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson
Gaslight23

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Cheers! Smile
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Love this song by Hall and Oates! It was our group's theme song on my America trip a few weeks ago Smile
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:40 pm

you're welcome!!
Back to top Go down
Raoul_Duke
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Raoul_Duke

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Steve70s wrote:

I really like it as the opener, it reminds me of Pearl Jam (unsurprisingly) opening with Release. different to the ususal that a lot of bands open with, usually the fast, heavy, loud track.
Back to top Go down
moonlight
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
moonlight

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Humbug wrote:
Hi..first time poster..go easy Smile

Just listening back to the show (audio, unofficial), has the band ever covered Bon Iver (Blood Bank) before?

Cheers

Humbug
ye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IQ4PdehPO00#!

it's been amazing

greetings from the italians (with flag)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012   Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012 - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brixton Academy, London, 15 & 17 October 2012
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7