DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?

Go down 
+69
Matilda Noir
A_Regular
Yozzy
gking92
punkrox889
sonsofregret
megan125
JJW319
drifter69
enola
Chappers
Keeb631
mrlisc2
OldManShoes3
CASANOVA, BILLY!
eagles1139
CapedAvenger
StopAndSlideToTheRight
redheadchick
Whiskey1
gaslightfan89
stephendgaf
RaquelWaltz
bringiton_ty
honestwithme
steph
telemark
sadly_ecstatic
YouCanCallMeSally
saltandburn1967
moosicmaniac
TGAforLIFE
rgillies
Noa
riversedge
ThisMachineKillsFascists
YNWA182
LaGuitarLady
TheContender
Danieljsmith
The Angry Johnny Revue
White Man In Hammersmith
Reinvent good times
Steve70s
SirPaco
NeverTrustAJunkie
acousticbandit
njguy99
Ghost
'49mercury
Jerseyrain
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
Jack
StitchesOnTheRadio
azlisa
bakerfall
simo
Casey
Shrewsbury_Stars
Harbortown
marcsnitz
nebraska
CluckyB
JimmyB
colmillionaire
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Camus
Daire
Christophe
73 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 11:47 pm

I agree with Red in the Morning. To me fits the record all right but I just hear it and think, "they can do better". It sounds like a song that should have been left of the cutting room floor so to speak. Don't hate it but don't like it either.

Speaking of THC separately, I'd pick I witnessed a crime only because the keyboard part gets on my nerves.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 12:25 am

Our Father's Sons easily. If I have to pick something on an album I'd say probably Red In The Morning. I love the style of the song, but I agree with StichesOnTheRadio in that you can kind of tell that it's below their standards.

I can't believe the number of Angry Johnnys in this thread, by the way. One of my favs on Sink Or Swim.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 12:29 am

Seriously, Angry Johnny is one of the best they've written.

Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 12:33 am

Never liked We're Getting a Divorce. The cheeky zombie lyrics stand in awkward contrast to everything I love about Brian's usually earnest songwriting. I would say Red in the Morning with everyone else, but I hated the first 20 seconds so much I don't think I've ever listened to the whole song.

Crowes' is flawless.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 12:38 am

Harbortown wrote:
Seriously, Angry Johnny is one of the best they've written.

Agreed. A long angry Johnny with a good tag is alwqys a live highlight. Great song.

Red in the morning is definitely not one of their best, and they know that, why they rarely played it. Hell Benny told me before KC in '10 that he wanted to play it because someone said they couldn't. So basically, it was brought out on a dare.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 12:42 am

Angry Johnny really is one of my favorites on the album, why do you guys personally dislike it?
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 1:29 am

CluckyB wrote:
colmillionaire wrote:
Red at Night, no question. Also it's the only song I've never seen them play. For good reason too, def the weakest of the bunch.

I don't like Horrible Crowes that much at all. I can't even remember a track where I said, "whoa! that's amazing"! Which is great because I consider it the "slump" that every artist goes through. Especially since Gaslight has released 3 incredible full lengths.

Still not sure how you can like the National but not love something like Sugar, but oh well...

I only really like The National for Matt's voice. The music is pretty alright, nothing too special for me though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 1:29 am

I'm also amazed that Angry Johnny has been mentioned. Different strokes, amiright?!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 2:12 am

colmillionaire wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
colmillionaire wrote:
Red at Night, no question. Also it's the only song I've never seen them play. For good reason too, def the weakest of the bunch.

I don't like Horrible Crowes that much at all. I can't even remember a track where I said, "whoa! that's amazing"! Which is great because I consider it the "slump" that every artist goes through. Especially since Gaslight has released 3 incredible full lengths.

Still not sure how you can like the National but not love something like Sugar, but oh well...

I only really like The National for Matt's voice. The music is pretty alright, nothing too special for me though.

Ah okay. Its the voice, the lyrics, the song style... pretty much everything for me.

What is there to really love about Angry Johnny? Its low tempo while staying loud/drum heavy (pretty much always a bad combo), lyrics aren't Brian's best... pretty much the only thing special is "and on and on and on" part. But compared to the rest of the Gaslight library... it just doesn't hold up.
Back to top Go down
marcsnitz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
marcsnitz

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 2:24 am

Fair point. I can see the overt Dylan-isms being a detraction for a lot of people
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/snitzonsnacks
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 5:46 am

Christophe wrote:
Personally there is one song I don't particularly like and that's Red In The Morning. I think it is just very different and doesn't really fit their style in my opinion. Another one I find interesting as a lot of Gaslight fans on here say it is their favourite but Cowgirls is one of my lesser favourite songs. I guess again as it is a bit of an oddball song I just can't get into it like some others. It is still a cool song though just not one of my favourites.

I'd pretty much agree with Christophe on these two. Theyre my least favourite. On 'Cowgirls' I like the lyrics a lot but the song as a whole is sometimes a skipper for me.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
'49mercury
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
'49mercury

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 8:37 am

This might be a strange choice, but it took me a looonnnngggg time to finally listen to Miles Davis and the Cool without skipping it. To me, it felt like it took a while to really get going.

Since then though I'm fine with the song and it fits in the regular rotation but for like six months I had no interest in that song
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 8:56 am

'49mercury wrote:
This might be a strange choice, but it took me a looonnnngggg time to finally listen to Miles Davis and the Cool without skipping it. To me, it felt like it took a while to really get going.

Since then though I'm fine with the song and it fits in the regular rotation but for like six months I had no interest in that song
I'm with you on that one.

I'd say about 50% of the time I skip that song. It's got some wonderful lyrics and I absolutely love the verses, the chorus just doesn't do anything for me.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:09 am

Can't believe some people are saying Cowgirls, it's a great song! It is all opinion though I suppose.

The weakest Gaslight tracks for me are We're Getting A Divorce, Say I Won't, Boxer, and Our Father's Sons. I don't dislike them as such, but they do frequently get skipped. I am also not the biggest fan of 'Id'a called you Woody, Joe', although I like the sentiment.

In terms of Horrible Crowes, I love how Last Rites opens the album, it's perfect despite being short. I consider the weakest tracks Black Betty & The Moon and I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together.

I guess I'm lucky, I haven't heard a single Gaslight song yet where I've thought 'yeah, this is rubbish' and skip every time.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:54 am

azlisa wrote:
i have to do THC separately and i'd have to say i witnessed a crime. i just don't care for the music or the lyrics.

Something about that song really irritates me too. I usually skip past it when listening to the album. I know it's meant to be a whole reggae kinda thing, but it doesn't work...

The one song that I've never really liked from TGA is Old White Lincoln. I know people love it, and I'll have shoes thrown at me for saying it, but seems so trite to me.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 10:04 am

njguy99 wrote:
azlisa wrote:
i have to do THC separately and i'd have to say i witnessed a crime. i just don't care for the music or the lyrics.

Something about that song really irritates me too. I usually skip past it when listening to the album. I know it's meant to be a whole reggae kinda thing, but it doesn't work...

The one song that I've never really liked from TGA is Old White Lincoln. I know people love it, and I'll have shoes thrown at me for saying it, but seems so trite to me.

affraid I'm emptying my shoe cupboard as I speak!
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 10:05 am

Christophe wrote:

Better be a slew of high-top sneakers!

afro
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 10:09 am

njguy99 wrote:
Christophe wrote:

Better be a slew of high-top sneakers!

afro

There's a variation of shoe types but primarily high top sneakers yeah Laughing Prepare for a barrage!
Back to top Go down
acousticbandit
Wooderson
Wooderson
acousticbandit

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 11:13 am

film noir, hands down.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 11:30 am

Oh, God, now people are saying Miles Davis, Divorce, Film Noir, and Old White Lincoln? Yikes. There really are different strokes, I guess...

Also, I Witnessed A Crime is in the upper echelon of THC tracks for me.
Back to top Go down
'49mercury
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
'49mercury

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 1:05 pm

[quote="njguy99"]
azlisa wrote:

I totally agree with I witnessed a crime being the weakest on Elsie, even "I Believe..." as slow and drawn out as it is, seems better.

Harbortown: I had to relisten to Miles today just to be sure I was making the right call, and it isnt until about the two or two and half minute mark do I like the song which is halfway and then some.
Back to top Go down
marcsnitz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
marcsnitz

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 1:21 pm

acousticbandit wrote:
film noir, hands down.

Totally understandable
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/snitzonsnacks
acousticbandit
Wooderson
Wooderson
acousticbandit

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 1:31 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
Oh, God, now people are saying Miles Davis, Divorce, Film Noir, and Old White Lincoln? Yikes. There really are different strokes, I guess...

not to branch this off into a different discussion, but i actually find 59 sound to be the weakest overall record, redeemed by some of their best songs.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 2:45 pm

acousticbandit wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

not to branch this off into a different discussion, but i actually find 59 sound to be the weakest overall record, redeemed by some of their best songs.

Aw, man, why'd you have to say that?
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 3:04 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
acousticbandit wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

Aw, man, why'd you have to say that?

Smile I couldn't disagree more, I think American Slang is their weakest record overall by a wide margin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next