DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...

Go down 
+16
TGAforLIFE
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
White Man In Hammersmith
AmSlang59
saltandburn1967
CasanovaBaby90
Christophe
JimmyB
simo
MKULTRA
Brent_LA
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Jerseyrain
ThisMachineKillsFascists
DeathoftheCool
Harbortown
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Empty
PostSubject: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 1:24 am

...which ones would they be and why?

I feel like we may have had this discussion but I don't remember or care.

Quote :
"45"
Handwritten
Here Comes My Man
Mulholland Drive
Keepsake
Too Much Blood
Howl
Biloxi Parish
Desire
Mae
National Anthem

Bonus Tracks

Blue Dahlia
Sliver
You Got Lucky

I'd choose

- Mulholland Drive
It sounds dirty, aggressive and heavy. At least to me it does.

-Howl
Same there! I bet Brian put some kick-ass vocal deliveries in that one.

-Blue Dahlia
Sounds like it might be one of those smooth blues rock songs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 1:32 am

-Too Much Blood
The first title that really stuck out to me, and I'm super curious to hear if it's a Horrible Crowes type song, or if it's just straight up in your face rock 'n roll.

-Mae
Because Brian said it's one of his favorite songs he's written.

-Handwritten
Apparently, from what I've heard at least, this one's an acoustic song, and I'm in love with every acoustic song Brian has done.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:08 am

What a great thread, this is just what i needed.
So i woulda said National Anthem, but I'd want to save that for the album since it's the ending and all.

Handwritten
Title tracks, man. I'm excited. The lyrics seem pretty good, and I want to see the spin they put on this undoubtedly very important song.

Here Comes My Man
Rumors of twelve string and layered vocals has me thinking this song is gonna be the one that blows my mind, like Diamond Church Street Choir and Go Tell Everybody. Gaslight has a good track record with track 3's as well, and this song just seems like it's going to be amazing. Know what I mean?

Mulholland Drive
One of those immediately eye-catching titles. I have no idea of what it'll sound like but with a name like that it has to be really interesting.
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ThisMachineKillsFascists

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 5:59 am

Mae
Brian said that it's up there with Great Expectations as his favorite song he's written. Must mean something.

Howl
I hope this one is really fast and aggressive. And that there's lots of howling in it.

Mulholland Drive
If it's anything like the movie I'll be more than happy. David Lynch rules.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 6:05 am

Im interested to hear Biloxi Parish now its been recorded. I hope theyv'e put the bridge part in that they'd started singing during the festival tour in early to mid 2011.

Id say National Anthem because Im getting a feeling its going to be an anthemic album ending track like Backseats.

And Mae because Brians bigged it up so Im guessing its gonna be a good one!
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 7:36 am

Mulholland Drive because the title stood out to me the second I saw it. I think it sounds like it could be kind of dark and heavy, maybe like something off of Elsie.

Howl would be the next one. I'm wondering if it was inspired by the Allen Ginsberg poem. Whether it was or not, the title is so cool and I'm hoping Brian lets out a howl at some point, like he does in the beginning of 45.

National Anthem is my last pick because it sounds so epic. With it being the last track, I'm thinking it might be a really anthemic song like The Backseat (like Jerseyrain said).
Back to top Go down
Brent_LA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Mulholland Drive because I literally drive on that street every day on the way to work.

Here Comes My Man because it is supposed to be quite epic.

Keepsake because Brian says he that is one of his favorite songs that he has ever written.

Really though, who cares about 3 songs when the whole thing is going to be amazing?
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 8:59 pm

Mulholland Drive because i'm interested to see if it's at all influenced by the movie. i recall an interview in which Brian was talking about how sometimes he's inspired by movies and that he really like Mulholland Drive. so i'm excited to see if that is a coincidence or not.

Mae because Brian spoke very highly of it.

Here Comes My Man because it sounds like an interesting premise lyrically and because of the 12 string!
Back to top Go down
Brent_LA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 9:05 pm

@wingsforwheels, Mulholland Drive is one of the most historic and beautiful streets in LA. I'd be willing to bet it's about the actual street and not the movie as Brian has a not-so-secret obsession with LA landmarks. Mulholland Drive looks over the entire city. It's a place for a nice drive, a lookout spot to smoke weed at and, last but not least, a street where people drive up to have sex in their cars.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 9:39 pm

You might be right, but he did specifically mention that movie in an interview.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:54 pm

Biloxi
Handwritten
and Here comes my man.

The reasons are teh same as other have posted.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 12:04 am

I am most intrigued to hear Keepsake, Too Much Blood and Mae.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 1:01 am

Mulholland Drive
I had a big crush on a girl in 8th grade who had the last name Mulholland, so the title reminded me of her.

Here Comes My Man
I am curious as to who this "man" is. Bruce? Jesus? Jaded Punk Hulk? I'd like to find out.

Mae
Brian says it's amazing, and who am I to argue?
Back to top Go down
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 9:18 am

Handwritten
Mae
National Anthem (I have a feeling it will be a softer exit like WDIWWWY)
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 2:05 am

1. National Anthem- For some reason I feel like this is going to have a "Here's Looking at You Kid" feeling to it but with a bigger sound.
2. Handwritten- The last 2 albums titled songs were some of my favorites so I am just taking a shot in the dark to say I won't be let down
3. Mulholland Drive- Judging from the name, I fee like this will have that 50's, 60's style sound to it that I have grown to love from this band. I bet it will be a great song to listen to in your car while looking at the stars with a date. I guess I'll have to wait and see though.
Back to top Go down
AmSlang59
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 2:15 am

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Mulholland Drive because the title stood out to me the second I saw it. I think it sounds like it could be kind of dark and heavy, maybe like something off of Elsie.

Howl would be the next one. I'm wondering if it was inspired by the Allen Ginsberg poem. Whether it was or not, the title is so cool and I'm hoping Brian lets out a howl at some point, like he does in the beginning of 45.

National Anthem is my last pick because it sounds so epic. With it being the last track, I'm thinking it might be a really anthemic song like The Backseat (like Jerseyrain said).

From a friend that has heard Handwritten, National Anthem sounds similar to Red At Night. It's completely acoustic but with strings.
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 2:18 am

AmSlang59 wrote:

From a friend that has heard Handwritten, National Anthem sounds similar to Red At Night. It's completely acoustic but with strings.

So it has like Violins and other string instruments? If so, wow, I really cannot wait to hear this. I have a feeling like this album is going to blow me away. Haha, only about 2 more months. I think I can make it.....
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 2:19 am

AmSlang59 wrote:

A friend has heard the album? Huh????????
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 11:18 am

Mulholland Drive, Keepsake and Howl for me!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:00 pm

AmSlang59 wrote:

Interesting! I love Red At Night (hello, my username! Razz) so I'm even more excited to hear National Anthem now. I guess I was expecting this big, epic sound because of the word anthem, but this just sounds beautiful. And there are strings in this song?! Awesome.
Back to top Go down
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
StateOfLoveAndGaslight

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 11:24 pm

Handwritten for sure, what little I've heard of the track makes me think it'll become one of my favorites.

Other than that...

Keepsake and National Anthem, largely out of curiosity.
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
TGAforLIFE

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 1:52 am

"45," Biloxi Parish and You Got Lucky Razz

Biloxi - mostly just because I wanna hear what it sounds like on vinyl. Smile

Back to top Go down
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 4:36 am

For me it would have to be...

Mae- because Ive heard so much of Brian saying its one of the best songs he's ever made.
Here comes my man- I can't stop singing what I've heard from the making of video, and I just want to hear the rest.
National Anthem- if the lyrics that people have gotten from the notebook are actually this one (this is not an exit, this is no way to leave) this song is going to be one hell of an emotional rollercoaster, even by Brian standards.

Honorable mention goes to handwritten, only reason it didn't make the list is because the video let me basically hear the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 9:57 pm

National Anthem - because I love slow Gaslight songs and the name sounds incredible.
Mae - because he wrote the lyrics in a clock tower.
Mullholland Drive - because the film is badass and the woman are hot.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 10:09 pm

riversedge wrote:
National Anthem - because I love slow Gaslight songs and the name sounds incredible.
Mae - because he wrote the lyrics in a clock tower.
Mullholland Drive - because the film is badass and the woman are hot.

when did he say he wrote it in a clock tower? that's awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...   If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If you could choose three songs on Handwritten to listen to...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next