DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')

Go down 
+122
Breanne
RobG20
charlesepting
Jack
azlisa
crutchfield
ManasquanMike
Chappers
kirstyt
bobbyjames
chickenman
loazis
acousticbandit
PC89
ksupilot
Matilda Noir
gaslightfan89
xstevenbx
bt211
thebiglebowski
The Boxer
AngryJohnnyN1930
steady now steady now
DaleCooper
stephendgaf
holdonnow
songs like a comfort
moonlight
turnitin2004
thebar1963
Midnight Rambler
nickyno
Casey
Labhras
luckyman
Heart_Strings
rem999
Down by the Mersey
NYYFAN523
e7c
Velocity
03aarm
'49mercury
TGA30
enola
NeverTrustAJunkie
heartlikeatomb
TGAFAN25
nico0493
Nik-Bicanski
rsj
Holland
Jerseyrain
NDTGA
Pridevsprose
SirBrad
Yozzy
JimmyB
simo
Rizz
fake_empire
Danieljsmith
Arctander
StitchesOnTheRadio
MKULTRA
A_Regular
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
marcsnitz
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
rikerd21
nyranger66
Hanswurst
nebraska
colmillionaire
IKeeptheDiner
EveryLittleSecret
fullcollapse
brianisbae
Stalls_Standing
Vibes
DaveSavedTheDay
Kosburn59
rgillies
CluckyB
mercyandaminute
JJW319
YouCanCallMeSally
Prisoner
J_Bizness
AmSlang59
The Angry Johnny Revue
DeathoftheCool
mingus
RobertODonnell
SouthJerseyTGA
LuceroDiehard
steph
HorribleCrowe
Shrewsbury_Stars
Van Der Twix
Steve70s
TGAforLIFE
Debonair
njguy99
Forum Owner
riversedge
IAmDisappeared
big blue
jeffrey2
Bea
jonnyz83
Don Carlo
brucesboots
plugga
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Harbortown
bringiton
Camus
ghosttocoast
Christophe
Klown
126 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 6:42 pm

And those backing vocals! Top notch!

Haha just kidding. But yeah, that guitar tone is amazing. As is Brian's dancing.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
joe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 8:39 pm

being on Mercury Records certainly has its advantages. anyone else spot 45 on 24/7 Pacquiao vs. Bradley?
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 11:00 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
This is definitely lower. I kind of love it like this. It'll be easier for me to sing along now too!

Also, holy crap this mixing sounds so much better. TGA needs to get a better sound mixer. I agree, this is probably mixed so well because Soundgarden's people did it. Kind of like it was better at the shoot too because the production crew had someone. I don't feel like I have to strain my ears to hear the vocals.

I sincerely hope it sounds this good when I see them at Middle East!

Yea, it definitely sounds better because of Soundgardens crew (as well as their equipment). But, Gaslight's sound should be better than it is. I swear I can't hear Brian for the first 3-4 songs they play. I heard they have some new sound people, so hopefully it gets better like you said. If nothing else, maybe they can get some pointers from the SG crew.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 11:29 pm

bakerfall wrote:
This is definitely lower. I kind of love it like this. It'll be easier for me to sing along now too!

Also, holy crap this mixing sounds so much better. TGA needs to get a better sound mixer. I agree, this is probably mixed so well because Soundgarden's people did it. Kind of like it was better at the shoot too because the production crew had someone. I don't feel like I have to strain my ears to hear the vocals.

I sincerely hope it sounds this good when I see them at Middle East!

Yea, it definitely sounds better because of Soundgardens crew (as well as their equipment). But, Gaslight's sound should be better than it is. I swear I can't hear Brian for the first 3-4 songs they play. I heard they have some new sound people, so hopefully it gets better like you said. If nothing else, maybe they can get some pointers from the SG crew.

Yes totally! Haha, if it doesn't get better I like wanna say something to them about it either via the internet or in person but I don't wanna come off as a jerk to them if I do. Like I may not be trained in sound mixing (although through studying film I have a little experience) but I know when I can't hear stuff that I should be able to hear. I just hope the bass isn't over the top like it was when I saw them at The Stone Pony in 2010. When the whole front row cringed they turned it down a bit but it could have been better. That was the only bad thing about that show though.

It just really kills the music when the mix is bad. Like as a fan I know it's awesome but if I bring a friend who doesn't know them I don't want them going away with a bad impression based on shitty mixing.

They should do what Springsteen does and go to different parts of the venue and listen to the sound before the show. Pretty sure he does that regularly and his audio is flawless.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 11:36 pm

I think part of the problem is they setup their own stuff (except Brian). So they soundcheck, they get the levels right, then there are 2-3 openers, amps come back out and then Alex R sets up plays and cranks his levels different, then Alex L changes his, then Ian changes Brians, etc. Plus, in smaller venues, you really hear only the amps if you are up close especially.

I do agree that the biggest problem is usually Brian's vocals being too quiet, but I agree you don't want to be a jerk. Eventually, someone will figure it out Smile
Back to top Go down
DaleCooper
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
DaleCooper

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 pm

In this case, the nature of being an opener means your sound is not the priority.
Back to top Go down
http://jonathanhawkins.net
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 1:36 pm

DaleCooper wrote:
In this case, the nature of being an opener means your sound is not the priority.

I agree but our point is that they sounded better opening for Soundgarden than they do when they're headlining.
Back to top Go down
DaleCooper
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
DaleCooper

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 1:37 pm

Then I need to drastically improve my reading comprehension skills or stop skimming threads. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://jonathanhawkins.net

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 2:23 pm

They should do what Springsteen does and go to different parts of the venue and listen to the sound before the show. Pretty sure he does that regularly and his audio is flawless.

I wish Springsteen did that! I think he used to be quite meticulous about the sound (in the '70s and '80s) but recently, the sound at his stadium shows has been pretty hit and miss. From personal experience the sound is great in certain parts of the venue and in other parts its terrible - comes down to where you end up sitting/standing. I guess that's the nature of large outdoor shows but I do think Bruce is a lot lazier in this regard than he used to be.

Gaslight could certainly do to improve their sound. I remember seeing them at Manchester and Brixton Academies in summer 2010 where they opened with American Slang - that song stood out as being particularly bad from a sound point of view. I could only hear the drums and the bass line but no vocals or guitar. It was better when they came back to the UK the following autumn but still room for improvement.

I think there's a bit of a misconception that if something is loud, it sounds good. Don't get me wrong, loud is great, but only if you can hear what's going on in the song.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 2:34 pm

Good to hear they are sounding a lot better in that YouTube clip Smile roll on Koko club!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 10:20 pm

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Music/Vinyl//The+Gaslight+Anthem+-+Forty-FiveYou+Got+Lucky+7+Vinyl+Single-362684.jsp

for any that still don't have it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 11:35 pm

markbarlow wrote:

I wish Springsteen did that! I think he used to be quite meticulous about the sound (in the '70s and '80s) but recently, the sound at his stadium shows has been pretty hit and miss. From personal experience the sound is great in certain parts of the venue and in other parts its terrible - comes down to where you end up sitting/standing. I guess that's the nature of large outdoor shows but I do think Bruce is a lot lazier in this regard than he used to be.

Gaslight could certainly do to improve their sound. I remember seeing them at Manchester and Brixton Academies in summer 2010 where they opened with American Slang - that song stood out as being particularly bad from a sound point of view. I could only hear the drums and the bass line but no vocals or guitar. It was better when they came back to the UK the following autumn but still room for improvement.

I think there's a bit of a misconception that if something is loud, it sounds good. Don't get me wrong, loud is great, but only if you can hear what's going on in the song.

I'm pretty sure he still does that but I don't know. Stadiums are tough. I hate them sound wise. All the sound goes up and out. I saw him in a stadium in 2003 but ever since I've seen him in indoor venues which are much better.

Oh and I hear ya 100% on that misconception about loud = good. They key in my opinion is to get everything right in relation to one another and then turn it up as loud as you can BEFORE it gets to that level where you can't even enjoy it. Also there's way too much focus on bass in music. Bass is extremely important but it needs to match the other parts.
Back to top Go down
kirstyt
Wooderson
Wooderson
kirstyt

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 10:53 am

I still haven't received my copy from shop radio cast..

Swines!!
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 10:56 am

And now you won't be getting it until next Wednesday at the earliest Sad
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 11:00 am

kirstyt wrote:
I still haven't received my copy from shop radio cast..

Swines!!

Shop Radio Cast takes FOREVER! Typically 2-3 weeks for me unless I pay for faster shipping. Rolling Eyes I hope you get your order soon, Kirsty!
Back to top Go down
kirstyt
Wooderson
Wooderson
kirstyt

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 11:03 am

I know, bloomin' Jubilee! (I jest.) I think I'm just being super impatient.

& thanks Shannon, I'm never ordering from them again, that's for sure!
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Shop Radio Cast is godawful. They took forever to deliver my order and when it did it was the wrong Menzingers LP. However, I didn't have that one on vinyl either so I decided to just keep it and cut my losses. Never want to order from them or deal with them ever again.
Back to top Go down
kirstyt
Wooderson
Wooderson
kirstyt

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 2:08 pm

That's ridiculous, must be verrry difficult to get one little order right.. (although at least you got something out of it.. obviously not ideal/what you wanted but still.)

I'm going to be very disappointed if it doesn't arrive soon.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 1:41 pm

https://twitter.com/gaslightanthem/status/210410547823386624

45 Video Released tomorrow 3AM EST

right here: http://www.vevo.com/watch/gaslight-anthem/45/USUV71200698

Back to top Go down
kirstyt
Wooderson
Wooderson
kirstyt

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Very Happy so excited for it!
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 1:47 pm

woohoo.

I think we are going to get pre-order packages this week as well...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 1:49 pm

A release catered for those overseas. At I'll wake up not having to wait Smile
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 10:16 am

Does anyone think the video version of the song sounds remixed? I've heard the stream when it first came out, and I downloaded the MP3 from Amazon, and it sounded kind of compressed and blended together - nothing like the "big production" sound Brian was talking about in the interviews.

From what I'm hearing on the video, the rhythm guitars sound bigger, and the bass is up in the mix considerably, giving the song a stronger backbone. I like it more now, since my issue was never with the song and more with the production. Today is as excited as I've been about the album in a long time.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 1:55 pm

jdc wrote:
Does anyone think the video version of the song sounds remixed? I've heard the stream when it first came out, and I downloaded the MP3 from Amazon, and it sounded kind of compressed and blended together - nothing like the "big production" sound Brian was talking about in the interviews.

From what I'm hearing on the video, the rhythm guitars sound bigger, and the bass is up in the mix considerably, giving the song a stronger backbone. I like it more now, since my issue was never with the song and more with the production. Today is as excited as I've been about the album in a long time.

I agree. Just listened to them both back to back and that's the impression I got. Especially with the vocals.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 1:08 am

This song seriously never gets old. Ever. I'm on listen 209 and I swear it just gets better and better. I've literally never listened to a song this much before in my life, I don't think...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 38 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')
Page 38 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39  Next