DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?

Go down 
+16
The Angry Johnny Revue
Matilda Noir
AlrightToDrive
jzancan
BuddyHolly
Jerseyrain
StopAndSlideToTheRight
Prisoner
Harbortown
simo
IrishNameAndAnInjury
nebraska
Christophe
Holland
JimmyB
Shrewsbury_Stars
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Empty
PostSubject: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 8:55 pm

When bands sign to a major label, they sometimes re-record one of their older songs. For example, when Bad Religion signed to Atlantic they re-recorded 21st Century Digital Boy and when Green Day signed to Reprise they re-recorded Welcome to Paradise.

I suspect that bands do this because they think the older song could have been a big hit if only it had greater exposure. Once they're on a major label, the song can get a second chance.

For multiple reasons, I think it's safe to say that Gaslight would never do this. Nevertheless, I thought it would be fun to discuss which of their songs would make the most sense to get this treatment on their Mercury debut.

I think songs they're already know for by non-fans would be out of the running (e.g., 59 Sound, Great Expectations, American Slang). My vote would be for Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts. I think it has the potential to be a huge hit.

Discuss.

Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 8:58 pm

wherefore art though elvis would be a hit
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 9:00 pm

ahh yes i think about this a lot , 1930 could be amazing!
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 9:09 pm

I agree 1930 would be the one for me
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 9:14 pm

Christophe wrote:
I agree 1930 would be the one for me

That actually makes sense because, as we all know, it was originally a This Charming Man song that Gaslight re-recorded because the song had so much potential.
Back to top Go down
nebraska
A Contender
A Contender
nebraska

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 9:38 pm

I would like I coulda been a contender for a re-recorded song
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 9:54 pm

I think either 1930 or Blue Jeans would be a good choice. Those are both such strong songs and we all seem to love them!I love you Backseats might also work because I think it's just a great song with a classic rock vibe that could get them a lot of fans if it ever got any airplay.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 pm

I don't really know, because as a whole I'm pretty happy with the way everything sounds.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 10:24 pm

I don't think any of their current songs would have the potential to be huge hits, save for maybe Old white Lincoln for its catchy and easily remembered melodies and The Backseat for its bounce up and down chorus, but even with those songs I think it's doubtful.

We love their songs to death, it doesn't mean everyone else might.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Harbortown wrote:

We love their songs to death, it doesn't mean everyone else might.

The Dimestore Saints just have better taste in music than the general public. Wink
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 4:02 am

Or worse. We'll never know, will we?
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 11:30 am

They shouldn't fiddle with their old songs in the studio.
SoS and SatQ songs stand on their own
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 11:53 am

Prisoner wrote:
They shouldn't fiddle with their old songs in the studio.
SoS and SatQ songs stand on their own

Totally agree. The songs would only be half as good if they didn't have that rawness to them.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 1:29 pm

I'm gonna go for We're getting a divorce. Not mad keen on the intro at the very start and think the song could be cleared up a lot. As one of my least favourites on SoS I guess Id kinda like that song to be made more appealing to me. As for 1930 Id say they already re-recorded it from the This Charming Man days and I enjoy it as it is ya know so that would be unlikely. It would also be unlikely they would re-record an American Slang track imo as it was only released just over a year ago so if it were to happen I think we'd looking at SatQ or SoS. Anyway its all speculation I suppose
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 2:01 pm

jerseyrain wrote:
Anyway its all speculation I suppose

I think it falls even below the level of speculation (since the whole concept of TGA doing this is so unlikely). Just more of a fun "what if" discussion that I thought of.
Back to top Go down
BuddyHolly
A Contender
A Contender
BuddyHolly

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 3:43 pm

I think We Came To Dance could become TGA's Welcome To Paradise...
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 6:34 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
jerseyrain wrote:
Anyway its all speculation I suppose

I think it falls even below the level of speculation (since the whole concept of TGA doing this is so unlikely). Just more of a fun "what if" discussion that I thought of.

You're right, it is a fun little discussion Smile
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 9:32 pm

BuddyHolly wrote:
I think We Came To Dance could become TGA's Welcome To Paradise...

I agree...We Came to Dance has been a constant staple of the live show and has developed quite a bit over the past few years.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
AlrightToDrive
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 11:08 am

I'd have to say Wooderson, hands down.

Absolutely my favourite song they've ever put out, and thats hard to say
(Cause all of Gaslights songs are gems).

I don't want to see it re released for it to have more exposure, just because i'd love to see if TGA could add a touch of the 59' sound and American Slang tone to it Smile

Back to top Go down
Matilda Noir
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Matilda Noir

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 4:54 pm

I'da Called You Woody, Joe would be my pick.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 10:36 pm

Anyone else think We Came to Dance would be quite the hit?

If I got it my way Fallon would re-record Cincinnati Rail Tie stuff, I reckon Look on the bright side would be a huge hit.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 12:39 am

I don't think We came to dance would be a hit at all and I can't see why you guys think it would be.

I love a lot of Gaslight songs but I don't think most of them would make hits.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:19 am

Harbortown wrote:
I don't think We came to dance would be a hit at all and I can't see why you guys think it would be.

Where is your faith in TGA, Harbortown? I think with the right exposure, lots of their previous songs could be hits, including We Came to Dance. It's a great song!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:35 am

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

Where is your faith in TGA, Harbortown? I think with the right exposure, lots of their previous songs could be hits, including We Came to Dance. It's a great song!

I agree with Harbortown. I don't think really any of the songs on Sink Or Swim, especially We Came To Dance, would be hits. Don't get me wrong, I love them, and Sink Or Swim is a great album but I just can't see them becoming a hit. I could see Casanova, Baby, or Here's Looking At You, Kid getting somewhere, but I doubt they'll re-record either of those any time soon.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:38 am

yeah...it took my long enough to adjust to hearing Gaslight on a USPS commercial! haha. i love everything from SOS so much, i can't even imagine it rerecorded pandering to a certain audience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?   If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If Gaslight Were to Re-record one of their Old Songs for their new Album?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next