DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Streetlight Manifesto

Go down 
+13
Stevearm
landan101
Refused
e7c
kieran
xstevenbx
laurendelore
JoshRaymond
liveit
ambrose
stephendgaf
billy pilgrim
Jukebox Romeo
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

Streetlight Manifesto Empty
PostSubject: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:17 pm

Best band ever. Sorry TGA, you're #2 or 3. Seeing them for the fourth time in october. So, who else likes 'em?
Back to top Go down
billy pilgrim
A Contender
A Contender
billy pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:18 pm

Love them way too much, probably. I've seen them twice but they're not coming around here this tour, boo Sad
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:23 pm

Worst ska band, ever.
Way too overrated and boring.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:24 pm

No, the worst ska band ever is the Aquabats.
Back to top Go down
billy pilgrim
A Contender
A Contender
billy pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:29 pm

D:
Yer both wrong.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:34 pm

sorry bro but the aquabats are awful. they're the reason no one takes ska seriously nowadays
Back to top Go down
ambrose
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:37 pm

ok this might not be the right place for this but whatever, ever since i got on the AM! forum and now this one, i hear tons of people talking about ska. now i always thought ska was really fucking lame, but apparently i was wrong. what's a really good band that i should start with to get into ska?
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:46 pm

Ska's awesome. For the past year I've been obsessed with it, though lately I'm going back to my most loved punk bands.

Here's the basic list for popular ska bands:

Reel Big Fish
Less Than Jake
Streetlight Manifesto
Goldfinger (older stuff)
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Operation Ivy
The Suicide Machines
Big D and the Kids Table
The Planet Smashers
The Flatliners (first album)
Mad Caddies
Mustard Plug
MU330
Catch 22 (older stuff)
The Arrogant Sons of Bitches
Save Ferris
Suburban Legends (first album)
The Specials
Madness
The Toasters

And some amazing bands that aren't too popular even for a ska band:

Last Martyrs of a Lost Cause
illScarlett
The JB Conspiracy
The Skatastrophes (local band from Cleveland)
High School Football Heroes (only the first album)

Start at the top and work your way down. If you tell me who your favorite bands are, I can tell you which bands you'd probably like most.

And some reggae/ska bands would be Sublime, Pepper, and The Aggrolites

Last edited by Jukebox Romeo on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
ambrose
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:48 pm

Alright, well this is probably a really lame way to go about this but I'm gonna be hitting up myspace for most of these since downloading actual albums would probably take WAY too fucking long and way too much space.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Cool. Tell me which bands you like, and I'll tell you which albums to start with.

Last edited by Jukebox Romeo on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
billy pilgrim
A Contender
A Contender
billy pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 7:06 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
sorry bro but the aquabats are awful. they're the reason no one takes ska seriously nowadays

I don't think the Aquabats ever meant to be taken seriously.
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 7:09 pm

The Aquabats are super funny and fun.

Streetlight is slow, boring and I just can't get into it at all.

And to the person said The Skatastrophes, they are awesome.
Back to top Go down
billy pilgrim
A Contender
A Contender
billy pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 7:13 pm

I was never too fond of Save Ferris aside from their cover of "Come on Eileen," just couldn't get into it. I tried though. Other than that, most of Jukebox's list is good shit. I would add to it:

Mephiskapheles
The Slackers
Spring Heeled Jack (I think there's another band with this name, I'm talking about the band from CT)
Westbound Train

On second thought, maybe we should make a Ska thread and leave this for Streetlight talking?
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 7:14 pm

Streetlight is slow? Really? And yeah, The Skatastrophes (the Cleveland one, not the Cincy one, and not the one from New Hampshire) are incredible. Saw 'em live last December with Mustard Plug. "'Bout Damn Time" is a sick album.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 7:16 pm

billy pilgrim wrote:
I was never too fond of Save Ferris aside from their cover of "Come on Eileen," just couldn't get into it. I tried though. Other than that, most of Jukebox's list is good shit. I would add to it:

Mephiskapheles
The Slackers
Spring Heeled Jack (I think there's another band with this name, I'm talking about the band from CT)
Westbound Train

On second thought, maybe we should make a Ska thread and leave this for Streetlight talking?

Yeah, a ska thread would be good. As for the bands you listed, I'm not into any of them. Westbound Train intrigues me though, since I like Deal's Gone Bad.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 6:53 pm

I feel I should post this here in case any of you Streetlighters haven't been checking their website:

09.09.2008 | New Album(s) News
Ok, technically it's not a new original record, but here it is: A few years ago, when BOTAR (Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution) released it's first (and so far only) record, there was a mention in the liner notes of a large project called "99 Songs of Revolution". This is a collection of 99 cover songs, spanning all kinds of genres, all kinds of artists. Now, a few years later, it's all going down. And here are the details. Some of them, at least.

The 99 Songs of Revolution Project will consist of 8 full length records. Two from SM, two from BOTAR, and two each from two other SM related groups. Yes, this is indeed the record that Victory mistakingly posted as coming out in Oct of 08. Not sure how they got that date, but it was never even a possibility. The first SM record for 99SOR will be out in early 2009, simultaneously with another of the 8 CDs (no, not the BOTAR one). Victory will be putting out the CDs and mp3s and Pentimento will be releasing and distributing the vinyl. We are aware of our reputation to take forever to release records and miss our self imposed deadlines, so we are not giving anyone solid dates, not even our labels. Early 09 release, that's it. We are, though, working hard on it. The demos are all but done and we head into the studio to begin tracking in October. Our upcoming tour schedule, as you know, is borderline impossible/insane, so cut us some slack.

This will be a nice way for us to get into the studio and put out some "new" music as well as tide you guys over until our next full length. It's been a project that's been on the back burner for too long, and it's time to do something about it. Stay tuned to this site as well as the Pentimento site for more info over the coming weeks. Also make sure to keep peeking in on our other sites, as we're in the middle of working on a few projects that have been dormant for way too long.

This just made my month. As for the two unnamed bands they mentioned, maybe Man Bites Dog, and Tomas solo?
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

As for what might be on these albums...

-"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana (played the first verse live a few times)
-"Creep" by Radiohead (played through the first chorus live a few times)
-"Toxicity" by System of a Down (don't know why, but people on the Skachilles forum seem to think this song will be on 99SoR)
-"Linoleum" by NOFX (played live every stop on the most recenttour)
-"American Jesus" by Bad Religion (they said in 2001 that they would cover this on 99SoR)
-"Hell" by Squirrel Nut Zippers (played live several times)
-"Hey Ska!" by The Suicide Machines (played live several times)
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:20 pm

If you want good old school ska, the really great stuff from back when- (stuff i grew up on) you have to listen to The Mighty Mighty BossTones and Dropkick Murphys. Both awesome.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:31 pm

dropkick's not ska, and of course i've heard of the bosstones. ska's been around since the late '50s, so the bosstones are not old school. old school would be the Skatalites, Laurel Aitken, Toots and the Maytals, and the like. bosstones are old school as far as third wave goes, i guess
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:35 pm

the specials
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:36 pm

yeah, they're sick too
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:40 pm

fuck yeah dude, i wonder if streetlight will cover any of there stuff
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:52 pm

idk man, to be honest, from what i've heard about streetlight, none of them are really into ska other than a few bands. except mike brown, i think. tomas is into nirvana, the drifters, squirrel nut zippers, the suicide machines, and jaromir nahovica. there are 99 songs though, so maybe
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:53 pm

seriously damn
Back to top Go down
laurendelore
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
laurendelore

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:37 pm

Streetlight Manifesto put on one of the best live shows, ever. I first saw them before I had ever listened to any of their music and it turned me into a super fan. They're just so good live, everyone gets into it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Streetlight Manifesto   Streetlight Manifesto Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Streetlight Manifesto
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: Other Bands-
Jump to: