DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Riot Before

Go down 
+19
mescalero
isthisreal
efofex
WWD4D?
ral
benbenben
sidekicksuicide
PFREEZY
andy.mac
Vibes
laurendelore
Jukebox Romeo
stephendgaf
liveit
Stalls_Standing
Forum Owner
e7c
JoshRaymond
lhdez
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

The Riot Before - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 2:02 pm

nice, ill go check it out
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 4:06 am

new album is sweet! really like it. and i love you too Ihdez. you can storm my troopers anytime.
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 5:00 am

Yeah, the new album is amazing. Love how the songs go into eachother and such.
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 5:29 am

yeah - the album feels like a whole.
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 5:44 am

these guys need their own forum - they are really good. can they go on tour with TGA and AGAINST ME! - ?
Back to top Go down
lhdez
A Contender
A Contender
lhdez

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 7:55 am

I think they already toured with TGA.
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 8:16 am

Was actually thinking about telling them today to take them out with them next time. They're coming here twice playing for free, pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 10:08 am

They have played some shows recently with another band i like a lot We Are The Union, i wish one of them shows would have been in Texas.
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 10:57 am

Just got Fists Buried In Pockets Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Stalls_Standing wrote:
Just got Fists Buried In Pockets Very Happy

You just got some good shit!
Back to top Go down
lhdez
A Contender
A Contender
lhdez

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 3:17 pm

stephendgaf wrote:
Was actually thinking about telling them today to take them out with them next time. They're coming here twice playing for free, pretty awesome.
Super jealous. This and is in my top ten dude, f'real.
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 8:22 pm

I don't know if any of you are interested in reading blogs but Brett has one that he writes in when they tour, or he tries to anyway. I really enjoyed the last set of blogs he did their last tour- he's an amazing writer and actually a really good photographer. Take a look if you haven't already. www.theriotbefore.com
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 10:20 pm

just got the new album. i'm loving "Words Written Over Coffee", "We Are Wild Stallions", and "You Can't Sexy Dance To Punk".

now I need "Horseshoes and Handgrenades", but it's nowhere on the internet anymore. could someone please up it maybe?
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 10:44 pm

http://www.fallofthewest.com/Riot%20Before%20-%20HH.htm

I think you can get it there.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 10:54 pm

yeah, i kinda meant that it's nowhere on the internet to illegally download anymore. i could always buy it i guess
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 10:59 pm

awe come on, show some support.......poor guys live under crappy conditions because they have no money.....all to give us some awesome music and amazing shows. you should buy their music.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 11:01 pm

we'll see...if i still like this band as much in a few months, i'll buy it
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 12:44 am

These guys are a pretty solid band - I hope they get somewhere with all their work.
Back to top Go down
lhdez
A Contender
A Contender
lhdez

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 2:58 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
just got the new album. i'm loving "Words Written Over Coffee", "We Are Wild Stallions", and "You Can't Sexy Dance To Punk".

now I need "Horseshoes and Handgrenades", but it's nowhere on the internet anymore. could someone please up it maybe?
Pm me
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 6:50 am

It's a great album - same with their ep they released a few months ago - in fact, everything the riot before is great!
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 12:15 am

This is a post that Brett did today- He's the singer for The Riot Before. This is why I say it's so important to buy music etc. from these bands and to support them financially. Reading this post by itself might not seem like a big deal- but just the other week he was talking about how awesome the tour had gone thus far. I've followed them through their blog over the past year and really enjoy Brett's writing. It's fantastic. Their tours are a constant roller coaster ride, playing for a bunch of people here and there, but more often than not, playing to maybe a handful of people, so sad..........anyway, I just thought I'd share.....

----------------------------------

My cousin Casey is a professional stuntman. He, to gloss over the intricacies of the profession, jumps off of stuff for a living. If you have ever had the pleasure of being aquatinted with Casey, it would come as no surprise to you that this is how he pays the bills (I use the term “bills” loosely so as to encompass certain purchases whose necessity is debatable/awesome ). He has a disposition as well suited for a life of stunts that most fish have for swimming, and had he the misfortune of landing some sort of office job instead, he would have most likely been fired for, well, setting fire to something then jumping through and/ or over it, naked. He would have done this regardless of whether or not he was on break. He may have done this while in a meeting. But as fun and exciting as his current occupation is, there is quite a downside to having a constitution lacking in what could be called “normal” quantities of fear. Mainly, you get injured. Because no matter how much your mind is convinced that jumping 70 feet over a road on skis is a great idea, there is no convincing your bones that they should not break under the pressure of a landing less than graceful. As a result, Casey knows his way around emergency rooms. He’s had splints, stitches, and surgeries, and once even had his scalp stapled back on with 32 staples, which meant that, because medical staples come in sets of 25, the doctor had to stop and re-load the staple gun part way through the procedure.
A few years back he tore his ACL while wakeboarding and was more or less unable to participate in his normal activities for six months. Tearing your ACL, by the way, is grueling. I know first hand the pain of the initial injury, the intense agony after surgery, the frustration of physical therapy, of crutches, of braces, of being temporarily handicapped. It’s hard enough to endure when mildly athletic, but I can barely imagine the restlessness, the claustrophobia, experienced by those whose lives are, in a way, defined by being active. But recovery was endured, and the day finally came when Casey was cleared to go skiing the following winter, and, a month or so before that day actually arrived, Casey went skiing. That was to be expected.
But the comeback would be tragically short-lived, because Casey, an incredibly advanced skier, took a seemingly inconsequential, almost silly tumble on his very first run. He, probably for the first time ever on skis, wasn’t even going too fast or trying any absurdly huge jumps; just taking it easy. And he fell over. And he heard a pop. And he felt a familiar pain. The same pain he had felt six months prior, in the water of the lake that sat not too far from the end of the ski run he now laid on. And, worst of all, the pain was coming from his other knee.
Casey had torn his good ACL a month before his previously torn ACL had fully recovered.
Sometimes you just have bad luck.
I can just imagine the disappointment he must have felt while laying on the snow. The tragedy of having re-visit all the pain and restlessness of an injury on the very day you thought it all behind you. It reminds me of a particular scene in the movie, Alive, when the two men who had embarked on a journey to find help triumphantly scale a huge peak, anticipating civilization and rest and safety on the other side, but instead only find an endless vista of similar jagged and hostile mountains. There would be no immediate repose, only more of the same struggle, made heavier by the dead weight of now flaccid hope. Crushed, they made a silent descent, trying not to think of the countless grueling ascents ahead.
I can imagine all this well, because, unfortunately, this last week has left little to the imagination. This last week has been our silent and discouraging descent in the ominous shadows cast by more of the same; this week has been our frustrating return to a struggle we thought lay mostly behind.
Our first week of shows were couched on the buoyancy of Bomb the Music Industry’s draw. They were some of the most fun we’ve ever played. The last three years of my life have been lived in reckless abandon to a handful of songs, and those enthusiastic crowds we played to stood unified as the best, most comprehensively convincing apologist for that recklessness that I have come upon in recent memory. Suddenly, it was worth it; and tangibly so. I looked forward to playing shows and, after our set was through, was left to deal with an unfamiliar sense of fulfillment, of high expectations met and even surpassed. But our time with Bomb was short lived, and soon we were back on our own.
Our first show by ourselves was in Amherst, MA, at Hampshire College. There was every indication that it would go well. It was free. It was promoted very well. It was at a small school where the majority of the student body lives on campus, a minute’s walk from the show. Some of the students who helped promote it went above and beyond and baked dozens of cupcakes to give away before we played, as an incentive to stick around for our set. But like my cousin’s skiing injury, sometimes competence and effort are no match for bad luck. We set up to a full room of over a hundred students, happily talking and eating cupcakes. Unfortunately, cupcakes were the highlight of the night, and our set interrupted their conversations. They started leaving. By the time our set was halfway through, the cupcakes were gone and the room was drained of most of its previous occupants. I’m sure the fifteen people that stuck around could see the enthusiasm drain from our faces as we confronted the reality of a seemingly endless mountain range in front of us. We played progressively worse until the end of our last song, which we butchered. Embarrassed and disheartened we turned to shut off our amps, relieved at least that the set was over. But we were given a chance to end on a good note when someone from the “crowd” who was not even a student of the school, just a person who came to see us, on purpose and everything, requested another song. We played “In Perspective” sufficiently, all the while trying and failing to sufficiently color our own outlook with anything but gray.
We played to 40 people over the next three days. We lost money every night. On our way to Cleveland we confronted the reality of our situation and reluctantly decided to cancel a tour we had planned through Texas after the Fest. Instead we’d go home and earn some money that the road was endlessly draining from our pockets.
That night we almost didn’t even bother unpacking the van. By the time the Saturday night house show was scheduled to start, only three or four people had arrived. We hid from them on the back porch while Cory sent out emails alerting people that we no longer needed the shows in November that we had asked about. Eventually about fifteen people showed up, so we quietly set up our gear in the basement, and, surprisingly, played one of our better sets. Minus a few broken strings, things actually went pretty well and we were all, at least, happy with our performance. For our efforts and the 300 mile drive the preceded them, 10 dollars were collectively donated by the fifteen in attendance.
We sold nothing.
The next morning we put another $80 dollars in the van’s gas tank and headed off to Michigan.
Re-injured, with endless ascents ahead.
Brett

Last edited by liveit on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 12:55 am

I agree that we have to support these guys, the new album is very, very good!
Back to top Go down
lhdez
A Contender
A Contender
lhdez

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 3:18 am

My next paycheck is going towards a lot of their merch.
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 4:33 am

i just downloaded Fists Buried In Pockets and wow its really good
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 5:05 am

the new album is really amazing, i should spend much more money on them as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Riot Before   The Riot Before - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Riot Before
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next