DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The National (and a load of other bands)

Go down 
+20
Marre
JJW319
colmillionaire
loazis
Little Eden
NDTGA
JoshRaymond
ThisMachineKillsFascists
drifter69
Ivefoundgod
benbenben
simo
Holland
kieran
rivercities
hostutca
Reinvent good times
lynchyeatspizza
tdawg
Vibes
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Marre
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

The National (and a load of other bands) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The National (and a load of other bands)   The National (and a load of other bands) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 7:40 pm

I would describe their music as melancholy, bittersweet, feel-good and sad if I had to choose four words. High Violet is the darkest album I would say, some lyrics are really really deep. The band however claims that they have a sense of humor about it as well. They've been called "Growers" as it seems to take people a while to really get into their albums, and I somewhat agree to that. It took me some time to really get obsessed with them but I kept giving them another chance since I really liked their sound and Matt's unique voice, and now I am truly obsessed, can't get enough of them. Seeing them in March, can't wait!

I've had Lemonworld stuck in my head all week, my fav from High Violet if I had to choose. Unbelievably good.
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: The National (and a load of other bands)   The National (and a load of other bands) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 7:50 pm

"I was afraid, I'd eat your brains. Because I am evil"

band is cool in my book
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: The National (and a load of other bands)   The National (and a load of other bands) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 8:00 pm

Someone once told me that the National is the missing link between Joy Division and Bruce Springsteen...i kinda agree
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: The National (and a load of other bands)   The National (and a load of other bands) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 1:12 am

High Violet definitely takes a few listenings for it to really sink in. I loved Boxer, but I couldn't get into HV till the 3rd time I heard (and then I was hooked).

A lot of their songs, I have no idea what they mean, but it's easy to attach my own meaning to it (e.g. Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks).
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: The National (and a load of other bands)   The National (and a load of other bands) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 7:29 pm

I woke up this morning around 930. Instead of getting up, I listened to this album. It would have been the 3rd time. Really enjoyed it.

Runaway is easily my new favorite song. So cool. the closing track is another favorite. Very chill music. Perfect to listen to when in that type of mood
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The National (and a load of other bands)   The National (and a load of other bands) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 11:03 pm

following madly in love with this band again after going few months without listening to em at all.
Back to top Go down
Jaywalk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Jaywalk

PostSubject: Re: The National (and a load of other bands)   The National (and a load of other bands) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 9:21 am

They did a cover of Clampdown (The Clash) recently. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Been getting into High Violet a lot lately though, great album.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: The National (and a load of other bands)   The National (and a load of other bands) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 3:50 pm

Jaywalk wrote:
They did a cover of Clampdown (The Clash) recently. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Been getting into High Violet a lot lately though, great album.

The National covering the Clash doesn't really make any sense to me. The Clash's sound is very raw, with the National is nice and calm and smooth. I'd've been really suprized if it had worked.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The National (and a load of other bands)   The National (and a load of other bands) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 5:04 pm

here's the link to the cover of Clampdown

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2011/02/09/take-cover-the-national-vs-the-clash/

I like it. they put their own spin to it which is what covers should be about.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: The National (and a load of other bands)   The National (and a load of other bands) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 6:25 pm

i am FINALLY seeing them in july with Beirut supporting!
I am beyond excited!
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: The National (and a load of other bands)   The National (and a load of other bands) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 3:46 am

Of all the bands playing at Coachella, I'm most excited about the National!
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: The National (and a load of other bands)   The National (and a load of other bands) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 6:55 pm

I somehow don't see the Joy Division connection, I guess I can in the reverb (especially on HV) and his vocie a bit but apart from that... maybe because it's a really dislike JD so I refuse to believe they are on influence on a great band like The National Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The National (and a load of other bands)   The National (and a load of other bands) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The National (and a load of other bands)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next