DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?

Go down 
+279
Ashburtongeorge
Lastoftheindependents
emenius
~Aaron~
NotLikeWeBleed
Johnny 99
Hombie
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
TLRRescue
tigerstrom29
AngryRyan
gchestney
aaron0vt
Smasha13
Leigh
GaslightInspired
scottydontno
pleasepassthesoup
Forum Owner
23Punk
Aregular_89
jzancan
mwh
TheScottWillzAnthem
Hanswurst
CroyBhoy1981
Blues With the Dogs
DeathoftheCool
Jersey-Chris
LiveFastDieOld
BereasaTGA
kimmy
Anya_TGA
zerb012345
SpaceEcho34
Thunder_Road
FrankieG
kappanera
beckiee1993
jonester
Italian__Fallon
The Last Jukebox Romeo
cdala
EveryLittleSecret
HolyBreakOfDay
rdghst
FelixMA
BuddyHolly
Definitely_Josef
virginiasheart
Andy_
DianaAntonia
thgilsag_mehtna
DiamondSinatra
bringiton_ty
rsi1991
Paddy
GaslightFletch
Lexicon
OllieC
matkins
SubconsciousRitual
The Cool
wedidwhenyoung
keepsake
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Xanthias
jgardz
aussieTGAfan
JamesLUFC
Emusic
NYYFAN523
gking92
DryCounty
CapedAvenger
CasanovaBaby90
Try Me
Chesser19
Greenlizard
Chappers
OldManShoes3
moconnell23
Nothingman
TheSultanOfSwing
mrlisc2
A_Regular
Mr.Grieves
numnutz78
snakester
RaquelWaltz
Velocity
kayla_tga
nzappia90
StitchesOnTheRadio
Breanne
saltandburn1967
VanillaMintFusion
White Man In Hammersmith
TheContender
HighLonesome
Paula
redheadchick
'49mercury
AGoodTime
deadmanstown
marcsnitz
sonsofregret
Heart_Strings
gaslightsofie
AmSlang59
enola
clemsn78
Miles
rgillies
Steve70s
Keeb631
Don Carlo
EmmaMary
BobbyBaseball
Fiddler
Jerseyrain
nomad677
CharlotteGaslight
rumham
waltzingseñora
Matilda Noir
nebraska
J_Bizness
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Tobbo
33rpm
thealarmist
Blue_Collar_Man
mirrorenigma
spgilbert
Pel.71
Phil Rockabill
stayFree
I am Incinerator
StopAndSlideToTheRight
RememberLikeWeWereAlive
03aarm
The Angry Johnny Revue
joshyboytyler
kateoflowerchelsea
kkent16
Johnxazn
\m/aria
ashleybb
Harbortown
johnnyk748
hey yellow
Fat C
Matty-E
Simon
Know Your Borders
Gaslight23
UK Ellie
knuckles
Hemingway
No_Direction
NeverTrustAJunkie
gaslightom
Shrewsbury_Stars
Zeebs07
brianisbae
spork13
casanova15
fullcollapse
Henriflame
chickenman
Pants
concresence
theBasemen
GraveRobbers
JimmyB
Ghost
Kosburn59
ozfacter
Seldini
CASANOVA, BILLY!
Jessii
Christophe
summy
JJW319
Regarded
gp
Dwizza
bish
wonderson189
QueenOfTheBronx
azlisa
SmilinSkullRing
Philo
LuceroDiehard
amberfoyd
steffuhnee
oli1980
sidekicksuicide
randomhero78
ExitEnglish
tgatom
Jaywalk
its_lesleyanne
MKULTRA
JoeHamling
B701
cristinaevelyn
jward326
Reinvent good times
vamike
Turn the Casanova On
kuruptlon
Jay
rem999
torbar
Tailschao
Bea
bringiton
stayhungry
bobbyjames
pricegrabber
Casey
Izzy Eviel
Jeff
IKeeptheDiner
loazis
DaveSavedTheDay
borrowedcar
dapperdecembrist
mostly_harmless
matt even
nuwbuddy
dmac
RobertODonnell
andy.mac
Maureen973
thecosmickid
scousertommy
RunawaySmile
Holland
noble_man
redd
KittyKat
ral
Deeper Shade of Blue
carson
massie1903
Refused
Palmer89
Emyr
simo
tdawg
bradcooke
Stevearm
TGAFAN25
twistednightmare
Dan_Dog
steady now steady now
kcdc
Scott
lynchyeatspizza
tomttt
I Came To Dance
ktp
Snap
hostutca
surfNJ
Kristi
kieran
Norb
Luca Chinaski
JoshRaymond
Prisoner
steph
LBAZ
e7c
Jukebox Romeo
283 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
EveryLittleSecret
A Contender
A Contender
EveryLittleSecret

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 6:43 am

first discovered TGA years ago when a buddy of mine gave me SOS a few months before 59 came out. he is one of those dudes that constantly gives me new music to listen to and most of it is kinda blah. after hearing SOS all the way through for the first time i was instantly hooked!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 2:56 am

My friend played me a few clips from Sink or Swim and I thought it sounded really good. So I bought it and its become one of my favorite albums. Then like a week later I bought a ticket to the 59 sound record release party in Cambridge, MA. Been hooked since! They are the only band I've seen outside of New England (well them and Tim Barry and Chamberlain).
Back to top Go down
cdala
A Contender
A Contender
cdala

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 2:58 pm

I discovered TGA when 59 Sound came out and everyone on a forum I used to go on was saying it was the best thing ever. So naturally I didn't want anything to do with it ha! I just thought, oh well, another overhyped band that will probably amount to nothing. But I ended up giving in and downloading the album anyway. And that was that.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Mine is a simple story really. It goes something like this...

I heard Brian's voice. I fell In love. I brought every Record.
Back to top Go down
Italian__Fallon
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Italian__Fallon

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 2:09 pm

One friend of mine, Springsteen fan just like me, told me to try to listen to this band. I only heard Brian with Bruce in the Hyde Park dvd and then I searched on Youtube something to listen to. And it was love. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jonester
A Contender
A Contender
jonester

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 8:40 pm

My sons band had them booked , or was booking them for a show right before 59 sound came out. He's the one that got me into them.
Back to top Go down
beckiee1993
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
beckiee1993

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 8:53 am

My boyfriend used to send me music videos on Youtube over Facebook before we got together, which I later found out were hints that he had a crush on me, I didn't click at the time that they were mostly love songs haha, and on the 16th August 2011 he sent me Great Expectations. When we started dating he sent me a couple more videos by them, one being 59' Sound, and the other American Slang. Then when he met my dad he said he'd make him a Gaslight mix CD cos he thought he'd like them. That's when I heard a lot more of them, I fell in love even more and went and bought American Slang and when Handwritten came out I bought myself and my boyfriend a signed copy (it came out in the UK on his birthday!)...and his main Christmas present for 2012? Gaslight Anthem tickets and a weekend in Leeds for introducing me to the greatest band I've ever heard. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me! cheers
Back to top Go down
kappanera
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kappanera

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 4:48 pm

I saw '59 sound with Bruce and fell in love instantly. By the way that record is the only one I was able to download in my whole life (yeah I got serious problems with computer's stuff). Of course i bought it with SOS after a couple of week of non stop listening.
Beckiee you're lucky, I tried to get my gf into them several times with no results Sad
Back to top Go down
beckiee1993
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
beckiee1993

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Haha keep trying with different songs. I'm trying to get my mam and dad into them as they are going to see them support The Killers!
Back to top Go down
FrankieG
A Contender
A Contender
FrankieG

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 11:13 pm

I saw that my friend attended their show in Asbury Park NJ that Bruce played American Slang on. Thought that was really cool so I watched some youtube videos to see Bruce. I liked the sound so I found the rest of their music. Really got into them once Handwritten came out. I have since been to 1 concert, bought all 4 studio albums on vinyl, and almost listen to them non-stop. Cool
Back to top Go down
Thunder_Road
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Thunder_Road

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Was playing in a band and we were auditioning a new guitar player. He suggested we covered American Slang by TGA. Never looked back.
Back to top Go down
SpaceEcho34
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SpaceEcho34

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 11:54 pm

I can't remember what website I originally saw them mentioned on, but I was just sort of wandering around the internet looking for new bands to check out. I knew nothing about them and was expecting just another pop-punk type band, so I was totally blown away by Sink or Swim and The 59 Sound. I heard the Springsteen and early rock and roll influences right away and instantly fell in love. I really don't think any band has gone from being completely unknown by me to one of my all-time favorites as quickly as Gaslight did.
Back to top Go down
http://thenoisepaper.blogspot.com/
stayFree
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
stayFree

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 5:57 pm

I'd heard of The Gaslight Anthem but never heard them or paid much attention, when the music video for Great Expectations would come on kerrang it switch it over (bit of a channel surfer) till one night was sat with the girlfriend and I couldn't be bothered to change channel so I let it play and I fell in love with the song after the song I turned to the girlfriend and said that song is about us, and with that i bought the 59sound and been hooked ever since! and sure enough a couple of months later she left cut me up for a while but Gaslight helped me through and they've been with me ever since Cool
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 7:38 pm

For me it was the week that iTunes had American Slang as the free single of the week. My friend and I were bored, so we got it for the hell of it. He thought it was just "meh" as he would say, but I loved it for so long I bought the whole album. Being incredibly naive about the band, I thought it was their only album. When I found out about 59 sound and SOS and the EP, I wasn't sure what to buy, so I went with 59 Sound. I hated it. It was so different. But as I kept listening, it kept growing on me. Then SOS then the EP, then the wait for Handwritten. (Elsie helped with that)

45/Handwritten was the first time I EVER waited for a song/album to come out, because my favorite band at the time was the Beatles.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 2:13 pm

I knew them because of my brother. He's a big fan of Bruce Springsteen, so he told me about them and showed me "National Anthem". I loved his voice, so I listened to some songs and I liked them.
Now it's one of my favorite bands.
Back to top Go down
jonester
A Contender
A Contender
jonester

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 12:26 am

zerb012345 wrote:
For me it was the week that iTunes had American Slang as the free single of the week. My friend and I were bored, so we got it for the hell of it. He thought it was just "meh" as he would say, but I loved it for so long I bought the whole album. Being incredibly naive about the band, I thought it was their only album. When I found out about 59 sound and SOS and the EP, I wasn't sure what to buy, so I went with 59 Sound. I hated it. It was so different. But as I kept listening, it kept growing on me. Then SOS then the EP, then the wait for Handwritten. (Elsie helped with that)

45/Handwritten was the first time I EVER waited for a song/album to come out, because my favorite band at the time was the Beatles.
Brian and the boys have an uncanny way of changing the way you hear songs and which ones are your favorites. It's like their body of work is a living thing, constantly showing different personality and character. I hope someone understands what I'm saying.
Back to top Go down
kimmy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kimmy

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:17 am

I remember seeing a clip of them from Reading festival back in 2008 and I heard Great Expectations and was like this is good and thought I will check them out, for some reason I never did anyway fast forward to 2012 and I was going through a rough time and needed something in my life just didn't know what at the time, I was on Amazon one night and saw Handwritten in the chart think it had literally just come out so I bought it and remember feeling really excited to hear it and as soon as I did i was like this is what I have been looking for.

Immediately went out and bought all the other albums and Elsie and was just like Wow this is the best music I have ever heard and all the lyrics just seemed to mean something to me...have not been able to stop listening since and don't think I ever will really.

Maybe one day I will get to meet Brian and I will shake his hand and say "Thanks Man your music really helped me out" but I probably wont get to so maybe he will read this out in internet land somewhere haha Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
BereasaTGA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
BereasaTGA

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 5:24 am

I discovered them because of the cover of the Pearl Jam song State of love and trust
Back to top Go down
LiveFastDieOld
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
LiveFastDieOld

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 9:41 pm

I blame my best friend. Back in 2008 he was playing gaslight in the car talking about this "local band" (i live about 15 minutes from red bank, nj, for perspective), and i was just instantly hooked. i knew at that point that this band was special. i listened casually and really fell in love but it wasn't till about 2010 though that they took over my life completely...lol
Back to top Go down
Jersey-Chris
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Jersey-Chris

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 3:38 pm

I am interested in music from New Jersey in generell.

The first time I heard of them was from other fans of New Jersey-Music, esp. Bruce Springsteen and they introduced me to a video of Brian and Bruce. Some time later my friend took me to a TGA Show and I loved it. Meanwhile I have seen a couple of shows incl. one at the Jersey Shore and own all albums. Can't wait for the next tour.

I also got to know that the TGA fans are a great and nice bunch of people.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 8:05 am

I found them at the bottom of a well
Back to top Go down
Blues With the Dogs
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Blues With the Dogs

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 1:19 am

I heard '45' on XFM, an English radio station, but didn't know it was them or particularly appreciate it at the time. It was 'Here Comes My Man' that first got me into them, and I remember Brian saying he had a face for radio. Then I broke up with my girlfriend and '45' gained new meaning, and they've since been my main musical inspiration.
Back to top Go down
CroyBhoy1981
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 6:41 pm

when i saw their collaboration with Springsteen at Glastonbury.
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Did me take quite a long time till i realized the true beauty of Gaslight haha Very Happy

I first heard of them back in 2010 when American Slang came out. At this time i was really into "Vulgaires Machins" - a canadian punk band - and so i was quite often at the website of "indica records", the label which they where signed by. there i had found out about some other favorites of mine like John Butler, Blue King Brown or Les Trois Accords. So i searched through the new songs by all the signed bands and some day heard "American Slang" - i liked it, listened to it now and then, than the whole Album came out and i enjoyed it - but i was really into french singing so i did not pay that much attention.

1/2 year later:
So i came to the conclusion that listening to french music kinda cuts your horizon - so i revisited all these english speaking bands. This American College/Worker/Hipster band (yeah thats what i thought about our guys) got heavy rotation with AS on my ipod and thats it.

One year later:
0:00 AM on a summer night in 2011: i was bored, zapping through the television programm and came across a recording of Rock am Ring 2011. Some friends of mine have been there so i thought maybe i'd catch their faces on the screen so i watched it. And oh wonder: after some songs i heard a familiar sound: American Slang was blasting through the tv and i remembered listening to this band back in the day. (yeah it felt like back in the day also it was nearly half a year) the next song was pretty good too(t59s) and the guys seemed pretty nice!
Than the first seconds of biloxi and i was lost.  geek 
I got me 59's and listened to it the rest of the year nonstop

Somewhen between 2011 and 2012: I discovered DSS
you don't wanna know this:

Than the whole "Handwritten release" talking began, i joined the forum and was washed away by all the information and chitter chatter on here.

2014:

The storm is over, the waves are smaller now, i learned to live with my addiction and TGA have their reserved seat at the diner in my heart.

stay hungry
stay free
and do the best you can

Smile
Back to top Go down
TheScottWillzAnthem
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 4:13 pm

My parents bought The 59 Sound and played it in the car and I was hooked Very Happy. I've now bought all their albums and even a few merchandise Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 15 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?
Page 15 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next