DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?

Go down 
+279
Ashburtongeorge
Lastoftheindependents
emenius
~Aaron~
NotLikeWeBleed
Johnny 99
Hombie
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
TLRRescue
tigerstrom29
AngryRyan
gchestney
aaron0vt
Smasha13
Leigh
GaslightInspired
scottydontno
pleasepassthesoup
Forum Owner
23Punk
Aregular_89
jzancan
mwh
TheScottWillzAnthem
Hanswurst
CroyBhoy1981
Blues With the Dogs
DeathoftheCool
Jersey-Chris
LiveFastDieOld
BereasaTGA
kimmy
Anya_TGA
zerb012345
SpaceEcho34
Thunder_Road
FrankieG
kappanera
beckiee1993
jonester
Italian__Fallon
The Last Jukebox Romeo
cdala
EveryLittleSecret
HolyBreakOfDay
rdghst
FelixMA
BuddyHolly
Definitely_Josef
virginiasheart
Andy_
DianaAntonia
thgilsag_mehtna
DiamondSinatra
bringiton_ty
rsi1991
Paddy
GaslightFletch
Lexicon
OllieC
matkins
SubconsciousRitual
The Cool
wedidwhenyoung
keepsake
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Xanthias
jgardz
aussieTGAfan
JamesLUFC
Emusic
NYYFAN523
gking92
DryCounty
CapedAvenger
CasanovaBaby90
Try Me
Chesser19
Greenlizard
Chappers
OldManShoes3
moconnell23
Nothingman
TheSultanOfSwing
mrlisc2
A_Regular
Mr.Grieves
numnutz78
snakester
RaquelWaltz
Velocity
kayla_tga
nzappia90
StitchesOnTheRadio
Breanne
saltandburn1967
VanillaMintFusion
White Man In Hammersmith
TheContender
HighLonesome
Paula
redheadchick
'49mercury
AGoodTime
deadmanstown
marcsnitz
sonsofregret
Heart_Strings
gaslightsofie
AmSlang59
enola
clemsn78
Miles
rgillies
Steve70s
Keeb631
Don Carlo
EmmaMary
BobbyBaseball
Fiddler
Jerseyrain
nomad677
CharlotteGaslight
rumham
waltzingseñora
Matilda Noir
nebraska
J_Bizness
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Tobbo
33rpm
thealarmist
Blue_Collar_Man
mirrorenigma
spgilbert
Pel.71
Phil Rockabill
stayFree
I am Incinerator
StopAndSlideToTheRight
RememberLikeWeWereAlive
03aarm
The Angry Johnny Revue
joshyboytyler
kateoflowerchelsea
kkent16
Johnxazn
\m/aria
ashleybb
Harbortown
johnnyk748
hey yellow
Fat C
Matty-E
Simon
Know Your Borders
Gaslight23
UK Ellie
knuckles
Hemingway
No_Direction
NeverTrustAJunkie
gaslightom
Shrewsbury_Stars
Zeebs07
brianisbae
spork13
casanova15
fullcollapse
Henriflame
chickenman
Pants
concresence
theBasemen
GraveRobbers
JimmyB
Ghost
Kosburn59
ozfacter
Seldini
CASANOVA, BILLY!
Jessii
Christophe
summy
JJW319
Regarded
gp
Dwizza
bish
wonderson189
QueenOfTheBronx
azlisa
SmilinSkullRing
Philo
LuceroDiehard
amberfoyd
steffuhnee
oli1980
sidekicksuicide
randomhero78
ExitEnglish
tgatom
Jaywalk
its_lesleyanne
MKULTRA
JoeHamling
B701
cristinaevelyn
jward326
Reinvent good times
vamike
Turn the Casanova On
kuruptlon
Jay
rem999
torbar
Tailschao
Bea
bringiton
stayhungry
bobbyjames
pricegrabber
Casey
Izzy Eviel
Jeff
IKeeptheDiner
loazis
DaveSavedTheDay
borrowedcar
dapperdecembrist
mostly_harmless
matt even
nuwbuddy
dmac
RobertODonnell
andy.mac
Maureen973
thecosmickid
scousertommy
RunawaySmile
Holland
noble_man
redd
KittyKat
ral
Deeper Shade of Blue
carson
massie1903
Refused
Palmer89
Emyr
simo
tdawg
bradcooke
Stevearm
TGAFAN25
twistednightmare
Dan_Dog
steady now steady now
kcdc
Scott
lynchyeatspizza
tomttt
I Came To Dance
ktp
Snap
hostutca
surfNJ
Kristi
kieran
Norb
Luca Chinaski
JoshRaymond
Prisoner
steph
LBAZ
e7c
Jukebox Romeo
283 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 6:46 pm

TheScottWillzAnthem wrote:
My parents bought The 59 Sound and played it in the car and I was hooked Very Happy. I've now bought all their albums and even a few merchandise Very Happy

wow that's great, even your parents are fans Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mwh
A Contender
A Contender
mwh

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 12:10 pm

I got "59" on a free sample CD with classic rock magazine. Was right when my mom got diagnosed with cancer and we were seriously planning out her funeral (she got better btw). All the stuff about which song you'd choose, that hit me so hard, been obsessed ever since...
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 12:20 pm

that's a really touching story! Glad she got better!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
mwh
A Contender
A Contender
mwh

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Cheers man.

Hate to sound like the drunk girl at the bar "this song is about me!!!" but I've found something in just about all of their songs that speaks to me, same as all of you most likely have I'd guess. Like the song says "they was there when my summers was high, and there when she left me alone".

Had more than one dark lonely night after someone's walked out on me with a bottle and a record...
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 12:53 pm

I was in sort of a musical drought. I'd been listening to the same 3 or 4 bands continuously for a few years and had gotten tired of the hearing the same stuff over and over again. I was looking for other stuff to get into, but wasn't having much luck. Not that I couldn't find great music, because I did--lots of it--but I wanted something that wasn't just great, but that hit me on a visceral level. A band I felt motivated to not just casually listen to, but invest in. There's no criteria for me in this regard. When it hits, I know it, and I can't explain it, and it is a rare occurrence.

After a while, I got pretty down about it and figured the problem was just me, that I'd taken my interest in music as far as it could go, and should just give up listening altogether. It felt like anxiety, that claustrophobic feeling, where if you can't solve the problem in a certain aspect of your life, you get to the point where you feel like all there is to do is cut that aspect out completely.

I was explaining this to a guy at a party, who I'd just met that night and who is now one of my closest friends, and he said, "You know, based on what you like, you should check out The Gaslight Anthem."

When a person recommends a band to me, my typical modus operandi is to go to YouTube, type in the band name, and click on the first song that pops up. A few days had gone by, and I'd forgotten all about it, until I was bored one afternoon clicking around the internet and started looking for something to listen to. So I searched Gaslight Anthem on YouTube and clicked on a song called Old White Lincoln. The car door shut, the engine turned over, the bass line started, and my drought was over. Just like that, before the vocals even started, I knew.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 1:14 pm

mwh wrote:
Cheers man.

Hate to sound like the drunk girl at the bar "this song is about me!!!" but I've found something in just about all of their songs that speaks to me, same as all of you most likely have I'd guess. Like the song says "they was there when my summers was high, and there when she left me alone".

Had more than one dark lonely night after someone's walked out on me with a bottle and a record...

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I have found I can relate to The Gaslight Anthem more so than most other bands. Nice words there man, times like those you can always seek comfort in any one of their records Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
mwh
A Contender
A Contender
mwh

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 2:00 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
mwh wrote:
Cheers man.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I have found I can relate to The Gaslight Anthem more so than most other bands. Nice words there man, times like those you can always seek comfort in any one of their records Smile

"Seek comfort in..." sums it up just about perfect. I grew up on the 90's punk explosion, first record I bought was Blink 182's "Dude Ranch" and I spent years trying to find something that spoke to me in the same way as "Dammit" or Lagwagon's "May 16" or especially Social Distortion's "Ball & Chain" or "King Of Fools". When I finally found Gaslight it was sorely needed...
Back to top Go down
Aregular_89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 8:08 pm

The Against Me! forum the day Senor and the Queen came out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 10:32 pm

My brother's friend gave him a copy of The '59 Sound, American Slang and Elsie in 2011. We started listening to them together and though he enjoyed them he didn't quite seem to see the magic I saw. He was moving onto some other new indie band while I was hooked, finding every song and finding out everything I possibly could about Gaslight.
Back to top Go down
23Punk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 6:23 pm

I discovered The Gaslight Anthem through a friend from high school during our senior year back in 08 through 2009. He told me about the band but I never gave them a listen mostly because after he would tell me about them I forgot the band name. He mentioned them to me again in August 2009 2 months after we graduated from high school. then one morning my dad was online he showed me this band called The Gaslight Anthem and he asked me if I had heard of them and I said no, he clicked on the letterman clip of them playing the 59 sound, I was blown away, then before I went to the pool that morning he downloaded The 59 Sound album off of iTunes. I remember after hearing Great Expectations and then The 59 Sound, I ran over to my drum set to learn the beat of both songs, I listened to it all the way through when I was at the pool. I have been a fan ever since that time.
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Aregular_89 wrote:
The Against Me! forum the day Senor and the Queen came out.

Me too was through the forum and Against Me! - The Gaslight toured with AM! in 2007 along with two Gallants - and from then on hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooked! Smile

Remember how busy the Gaslight thread was on the AM! forum?! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 12:25 pm

I went to see the Loved Ones at the Middle East in Cambridge, MA in early '08 and came away really impressed with the guys who opened up for them. Bought their album and new EP from the merch table. The rest is history.
Back to top Go down
scottydontno
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 8:44 pm

I discovered the Gaslight Anthem in a round-a-bout way, I was listening to The White Buffalo on Pandora, and a cover of Atlantic City by The Band came on, later when I got home, I went up to look up on that version on YouTube, and I came across Brian's cover. I did a little more digging, and read about the Gaslight Anthem, and the first song I heard by them was "Here Comes Your Man" and after that I was hooked!
Back to top Go down
GaslightInspired
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 5:52 am

I've sort of posted it in my intro thread. But hearing their music coincided with life changes. And the songs speak to me, how I feel now, and how I want the future to go.

I guess thats how.

But the TL:DR is 'Springsteen' - the link between the two led me here.
Back to top Go down
Leigh
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Leigh

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 11:32 pm

Sitting Hiding behind the track highjump mat in gym class with my friend. He played me some stuff. By the end of the semester there were a good number of us  High Five 
Back to top Go down
Smasha13
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Smasha13

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 10:27 pm

At my friend's house, we were decorating aprons that we smuggled out of work to wear for our store's Cashier Appreciation month. She had '59 Sound playing on repeat, and I think by the second time through, I had to interrupt her during "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" to ask who this band was. As soon as I left her house, I drove to HMV and bought my own copy of '59 Sound and Sink or Swim. The rest is history Smile
Back to top Go down
aaron0vt
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Not sure I need this part, how I discovered TGA   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 3:14 pm

I was working at a pizza shop, and a coworker/friend was like, "pay attention to this album, I think you'll love it", (with so many different tastes in the shop, it was easy to tune out whatever was on) and put on "Senor and the Queen". "Is there more than just this one EP?" I asked excitedly, and was presented with "Sink or Swim", which had me 'hook, line, and sinker' as they say. He informed me that they had a new album coming out shortly ('59 Sound), which he had reserved a copy of at the local record store, and I was excited to have 2 and a half records to discover over the coming weeks.
I have had ebbs and flows of listening to Gaslight excessively ever since, occasionally sort of forgetting about them, only to put it on and fall in love all over again.
Back to top Go down
gchestney
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 9:43 am

There were a big fan favourite at a forum i used to post at and i caught wind of them two years ago just after Handwritten came out. Loved it and checked outthe previous albums. There is just something about the way BF sings that makes them endearing to me. He's not your conventional singer, he doesn't hit "clean" notes but it's raw and it's emotional and it's not someone going through the motions, it someone WITH emotions. I just connected with it straight away and they're up there in my top 3 bands.
Back to top Go down
AngryRyan
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
AngryRyan

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 9:49 am

Even though I'm from Jersey, somehow I never heard of em until Handwritten. I was in the beginning stages of my divorce and heard 45 on the radio. Soon as I heard "let her go, let somebody else lay at her feet" I was instantly hooked. 10 concerts later.... haha
Back to top Go down
tigerstrom29
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
tigerstrom29

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 4:31 am

Got 'Sink Or Swim' shortly after the release from a friend and I was hooked by their raw sound, catchy choruses and the singers gritty voice. Been a favorite band to me ever since.
Back to top Go down
TLRRescue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
TLRRescue

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 6:45 pm

Stumbled upon them in December 2011 at the Asbury Park Convention Center and the following day, I downloaded all their albums and have been a huge fan ever since.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thelastresortrescue.com
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mike_Millburys_Shoe

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 7:30 pm

There was a short article on them in, I think it was at least, Rolling Stone. Just prior to the release of American Slang. Really liked what it had to say about them. Went home and looked into some of their stuff and fell in love with the whole 59S album. Found the video of them performing The '59 Sound live with Bruce and lost it. Showed it to my dad, a huge Bruce fan, and he loved it. They are now his favorite band as well as mine.
Back to top Go down
Hombie
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Hombie

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 7:40 am

I stumbled across 'Drive' on YT as a recommendation when I was listening to some stuff by The Hold Steady, figured 'Looks interesting enough' and kinda got hooked on that song in an instant, then after a short while I got into 'I'da Called You Woodie, Joe' and the rest of Sink or Swim, and then I just expanded from there to '59, Handwritten and American Slang and then Horrible Crowes and the other side projects/precursors of the band I guess.
Back to top Go down
Johnny 99
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Johnny 99

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 8:07 am

Seeing them on TV at Glastonbury and the whole Springsteen connection.
Back to top Go down
NotLikeWeBleed
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 8:41 am

Had surgery for a kidney stone a while back just before I started high school. I was laying in the hospital bed while my dad was hanging by my side reading some stuff online, we had 93.3 WMMR streaming (for all you Philly/PA/South Jersey people) when the host said "Here's one called the '59 sound, check these Jersey boys out! The Gaslight Anthem! Crank it uppppp!" And the rest was history. Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?
Page 16 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next