DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Album

Go down 
+35
Scarlett
ilockyer
tigrr13
Zapuda
Palmer89
simo
Stevearm
thecosmickid
steph
ktp
lynchyeatspizza
TGAFAN25
twistednightmare
Reinvent good times
steady now steady now
Daire
Norb
andy.mac
CABBAGEDoVD!
billy pilgrim
e7c
manz
rhg5010
Forum Owner
vamike
liveit
ksupilot
Stalls_Standing
MCStevepants
Prisoner
LBAZ
Vibes
Jukebox Romeo
JoshRaymond
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 6:15 pm

So!!
Recording in January/February of next year with Ted Hutt again

Going away from The 59 Sound, for a more ROCKER of a records.
Big influences with Elvis Costello and Social Distortion!
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:17 am

I can definitely see the band going down the avenue of the Social D records like 'Social Distortion' and 'Somewhere between heaven and hell'.

I like both bands so it should be good.
Back to top Go down

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 9:46 am

So what of their material so far do people think will be most like (not the same, obviously, as the sound will be evolving) the new album??

I can't say I've ever listened to Social Distortion or Elvis Costello consistently enough to get a decent idea...
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 9:49 am

I think it will surprise me as much as 59 Sound did.
Back to top Go down
Norb
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:33 pm

Just hope they will change the chord progression a little bit...
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:49 pm

i agree. that Gm Eb Bb F chord progression is all over the place. Great Expecations, '59, High Lonesome, Casanova, River's Edge, not to mention 1930. i'm pretty sure all their songs except Red At Night are written in one of four different keys. i'd have to check, but i think that's about right. maybe five
Back to top Go down

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 6:15 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
i agree. that Gm Eb Bb F chord progression is all over the place. Great Expecations, '59, High Lonesome, Casanova, River's Edge, not to mention 1930. i'm pretty sure all their songs except Red At Night are written in one of four different keys. i'd have to check, but i think that's about right. maybe five

This isn't a problem for me as I don't have a clue about chord progressions...
Back to top Go down
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 9:57 am

It seems to work for them.
Changing keys is interesting. Keeps the excitement alive in some cases.
Songs that are in one key can get really boring really quick for me. It makes great listening too. I love how you can listen to their songs and discover something else you didn't hear last time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nomies_alien_lover
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 6:32 pm

I hope they know what they're doing. 3 albums in more or less 2 years, that's a lot. I hope it's not a rush job, or putting an album out there for the sake of it.
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 6:42 pm

i agree but shit even gaslights rushed music is better than most
Back to top Go down
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 6:54 pm

True. The Arctic Monkey's made 3 full lengths in really quick succession and they were all terrible.
Luckily, TGA know how to write songs.
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 7:32 pm

I don't know. I'll be a year and a half (roughly) since they recorded The '59 Sound. I don't know that that is too soon. Smart guys, they know what they're doing. It'll be just as amazing as everything else they do, I'm sure.
Back to top Go down

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 12:20 pm

LBAZ wrote:
True. The Arctic Monkey's made 3 full lengths in really quick succession and they were all terrible.

I thought the Arctic Monkeys only had 2 albums? The first one was really good! If you're refering to the Last Shadow Puppets offering, that was rushed, and as a consequence was awful.

As for Gaslight, I don't think they're rushing it. Just look at how much they've toured. I just think they don't like sitting around resting on what they've already done like a lot of bands. They want to give the fans more, which I think is great. I rather have 3 albums in 2 years than 1 album in 3 years...
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 12:33 pm

LBAZ wrote:

For one I'll disagree with Baz. The first Arctic Monkeys album was outstanding. It was truly original musically, and the lyrics provided a brilliant take on life in Britain. Because their second album was simply more of the same, it coudn't reach the same heights. In between they released a 5 track EP.

All in all, there's nothing wrong with albums in quick succession. Often touring actually aids songwriting. This was certainly the case with Springsteen and his last two quick releases, the second of which was the better one overall.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 1:04 pm

The Arctic Monkeys are really good at describing life in Britain so I can relate to what they sing about but at the same time I don't want to.
They sing about the society I hate and really want to get out of. To some extent I have by distancing myself from a lot of people who follow those lines, so to say, but you really can't get out of it if you live a walking distance from a place similar to what they are talking about. My mum likes to think we live in the 'posh' part of Manchester but it is all the same, even if the houses are slightly more expensive.
You would think I would 'get it' but I don't and that is something I find strange myself.

I like music that is from a completely different place and I take that and find a way to realte to it. I guess it comes down to me being a daydreamer. I have never been to Jersey (or America), never seen the streets that Springsteen talks about or experienced the things he has yet somehow I know what he is describing.
I respect your opinion though because I for one am always gettinmg mine knocked down. Treat others as you wish to me treated and all that.
It would be so boring if we were all the same.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 1:28 pm

LBAZ wrote:
The Arctic Monkeys are really good at describing life in Britain so I can relate to what they sing about but at the same time I don't want to. They sing about the society I hate and really want to get out of. [...] I like music that is from a completely different place and I take that and find a way to relate to it. I guess it comes down to me being a daydreamer. I have never been to Jersey (or America), never seen the streets that Springsteen talks about or experienced the things he has yet somehow I know what he is describing.

I think this is a fascinating point and one I had not fully considered.

Of course, great art is great not least for being genuine rather than contrived. This is why I like the Gaslight Anthem; they too sing about what they know about. At the same time, good lyrics can carry something above and beyond what they describe and this is what allows others to relate on a deeper/higher level to what may at first appear removed. The Artic Monkeys material I cannot relate to at all, as it just isn't my world, but I can observe it from the outside and be fascinated by it. Another world that fascinates me is American small town life, which I 'experience' mainly through novels, but to which Springsteen and TGA also provide some of the soundtrack. What I fully relate to are the notions of redemption, loyalty and so forth, that run through TGA's and Springsteen's lyrics.

But I agree, a great part of the enjoyment of music (and movies) is the ability to escape.

Apologies for getting ever more off-topic.

Last edited by steady now steady now on Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 3:51 pm

OK, I know this isn't an Arctic Monkeys forum, but... if you've listened to them what they are describing (on the first album in particular- I have all 3 releases if you count the EP) is what is around me, and I relate to it because of that.

The Gaslight Anthem on the other hand is different. Like LBAZ I have never been to New Jersey or to the USA, but I still feel I know the former through the lyrics of the Gaslight Anthem and the Boss. Listened to Senor and the Queen this afternoon, and remember Brian saying it was about Jersey in the summertime. It provides a window into another world.

Perhaps why that the Gaslight Anthem is such a great band. They create (or relate to) a world with believeable people in like Maria, Mary, Virginia etc. So anyone not familiar with it can access it, and the values etc that go with it, through the music- to me, its escapism. I escape from my world of (all following references from the Arctic Monkeys) drunken youths brawling with pool cues, scallys/chavs/scroats wearing Reebok classics and Cigarette Smoking Fionas into to Brians world of Ferris Wheels, boardwalks, and Marias. I escape to a world I want to exist, and be part of, hence why I love the band.

OK, maybe that was a bit deep (especially for a new album debate!). But I hope it added to the discussion.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:

Most punk bands have the same old chords all over again.
C, G, Am, G
C, F, G
G, C, D
Am, F, C, G
Em, C, G, D
E, B, Cm, A
etc. etc.

Knowing how to play guitar, kinda spoils your music experience Razz

It's tiring me a bit on one hand, but on the other hand I really dislike weird chord progressions. Those only sound good when it's played in a fast hardcore style.

and yeah Gaslight is pretty repetitive if you look at them from that aspect. Still the songs are interesting enough that you don't really notice it.

Film Noir has a nice verse progression, although they probably took that from All Along The Watchtower by Dylan. Wherefore Elvis has the same progression

and most blues has the same chord progressions also

wow very incoherent story.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 8:10 pm

yeah, i definitely noticed that about punk bands. i call it the upside down T chord progression. examples would be C G Am F, Am F C G, C Am G F, or any other variation of those chords grouped together like that (when power chords are formed, it looks like an upside down T). i'd say 85% of punk songs are played with that progression (MxPx's "Today Is In My Way" uses 3 different progressions of the same 4 chords, in that upside down T progression)

and i went ahead and grouped Gaslight's songs into their respective keys. being 4 years removed from learning music theory in band, i don't know the names of the keys, but all these songs use the same chords, so yeah. TGA has used only 5 different keys so far:

Key #1:
Boomboxes & Dictionaries
We Came To Dance
Drive
We're Getting a Divorce, You Keep the Diner
Red At Night
Old White Lincoln

Key #2:
I Coulda Been a Contender
I'da Called You Woody, Joe
Angry Johnny & the Radio
Great Expectations
The '59 Sound
High Lonesome
Casanova, Baby!
Meet Me By the River's Edge
Once Upon a Time (doesn't really count, but whatever)

Key #3:
Wooderson
Red In the Morning
Wherefore Art Thou, Elvis?
Miles Davis & The Cool
The Patient Ferris Wheel
The Backseat

Key #4:
The Navesink Banks
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
Here's Looking At You, Kid

Key #5:
SeƱor and the Queen
Say I Won't (Recognize)
Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts
Film Noir

Last edited by Jukebox Romeo on Wed May 13, 2009 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 11:17 am

haha if you apply this chord analysis to Teenage Bottlerocket, Screeching Weasel, The Lillingtons The Queers and another of those Ramonescore bands discography it all looks kinda meager.
Still fucking love those bands though

alot of ska/reggae bands like The Slackers use same chord progression though. A lot of Slackers songs start in the key of F or contain the chord progressions posted above.

ah well that's a whole lot better than those bands playing all this ridiculous diminished chords and progressions. I can't enjoy that stuff. I also can't play along with it, which also pisses me off
Back to top Go down
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 10:16 am

By the way, if TGA decides to make their next album with a Social D influence, that would be killer. I listened to Social D's "white light, white heat, white trash" this morning on way to work, and that's an awesome cd. Love the crunchy guitars.
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 10:24 am

Never listened to a minute of Social D until that post ^ and I'm one song into that album and in love!
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 1:22 pm

all of Social D's albums are really good. check out their self-titled and Sex, Love, and Rock 'n' Roll (specifically Angel's Wings). truly essential listening. one of the greatest bands of all-time

i really hope Brian doesn't listen to The National and Chris Wollard and the Ship Thieves too much and decides to sing in that lower register like they do. i just find it kinda boring, and Brian's voice is so good in the upper register i'd hate for him to abandon it
Back to top Go down
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 2:21 pm

I agree, I like Brian's voice in the upper register. Althought I must admit, there's a time and place for The National's music..it's not the most upbeat, in fact it's somber, morose, but still good for driving in the dead of winter.. On the other hand, The Afghan Whigs just rule. There's one of the best bands from the 90's.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 3:04 pm

whoa... can someone please explain to me what the difference between key/chord progression is.

and please post it in the Guitar tabs area instead of here, I don't want to take this talk way off topic
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Album
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next