DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Album

Go down 
+35
Scarlett
ilockyer
tigrr13
Zapuda
Palmer89
simo
Stevearm
thecosmickid
steph
ktp
lynchyeatspizza
TGAFAN25
twistednightmare
Reinvent good times
steady now steady now
Daire
Norb
andy.mac
CABBAGEDoVD!
billy pilgrim
e7c
manz
rhg5010
Forum Owner
vamike
liveit
ksupilot
Stalls_Standing
MCStevepants
Prisoner
LBAZ
Vibes
Jukebox Romeo
JoshRaymond
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 7:42 am

To be honest I don't really see a xylophone on a Gaslight Anthem record; however, unpredictability it good so you never know I suppose.

I also agree with Vibes; I would expect no more than 2 'acoustic' tracks, judging off what we've had so far.
Back to top Go down
vamike
Wooderson
Wooderson
vamike

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 8:24 am

maybe they'll go back to a faster "punkrock" style, or at least for a few songs on the new album. anyway, no matter what they do, it'll be great for sure
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 5:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojFMTPVpvU4

Interview with Kevin Manno of Q101. Brian talks about the new record a bit, saying they'll be recording around Jan./Feb. of '10, looking at a late spring/early summer release date, and that they're moving away from the soul sounds of '59 to a more straight-up rocker on the next one. he said there'll be a big Social D/Elvis Costello influence on it, which is sick. i'm already pumped, even though it's like a year away
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 6:12 pm

Good to hear- like they said many many times, you don't want to do the same record twice.

Time will go by quick........maybe.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Hopefully the next one won't leak two months in advance
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:19 am

No doubt on my behalf - these guys are headed for major stardom - whatever they do!
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:29 am

I think it'll really depend on the sounds of future records. From what we've gotten so far and what Brian has said about the next album it's safe to assume that they're going to change the sound up a bit, tweak it at live shows and then move on to a new sound. Unfortunately, mainstream fans don't like that kind of change, they want similar material throughout a band's lifetime.

I hate to say it but after The 59 Sound they could start to lose some followers simply because of the creative directions that they're going in. They've got a big bubble going on right now and they're riding it with The 59 Sound tour but if they go rock, some fans are going to get turned off.

I wish them all the success in the world and I look forward to covering them, seeing them and hanging out with them in the future, whether they're selling out stadiums or not.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
rhg5010
A Contender
A Contender

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 11:53 am

I don't know if the band knows what they're doing or not, but they have that issue taken care of... they started out with a punk record, and it got the punk community's praise. My little theory is once you make it big in that community (I'm talking shows, Punknews.org, even Vinylcollective.com) you will have followers for life. Not only that, punk fans will track down everything that every individual band member does musically, whether it be in the past, present, or future.

We've seen it all before... Lagwagon, Kid Dynamite, Alkaline Trio, Texas Is The Reason, etc.... Bands that are accepted by this so-called community gain a cult following, and their current status, past musical ventures, and side projects are well documented. Obviously the Gaslight Anthem fits in this group.

Look at Dillinger Four. I think it was something like six years between albums right? And people (myself included) still went apeshit for CIVILWAR. In my opinion that album didn't sound much like the previous ones. Christ, I'm still waiting for the next Craig's Brother album to come out. Devoted fans will stay with the band no matter what.

So I don't think The Gaslight Anthem has anything to worry about, at least not for this upcoming record. I think maybe their popularity will level off, and maybe they'll lose a few listeners, but I'm sure they'll gain a few too.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/JabarPSU

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 12:35 pm

Vibes wrote:
I wish them all the success in the world and I look forward to covering them, seeing them and hanging out with them in the future, whether they're selling out stadiums or not.

Damn right! They've already given us two amazing albums and an E.P., and are also really genuine people, so whatever happens in the future they'll always have me as a fan, and I assume you guys feel the same.

I could see them going more 'rock' based though, and I'm certain there'll be a change. But change is good, and I think they know what they're doing- and their (core) fanbase well enough- not to do something that will alienate people.

And if you consider the change from Sink Or Swim (I wouldn't consider myself a 'punk' fan, but I know some of you on here are, but I love that record)- to the '59 Sound- most fans I would think would tell you that if they like one album, they like the other, and the EP. So there must be an element of versatility within the fanbase, enough to give the guys a creative license that some other bands, who are too shackled in a set genre, lack. Which I suppose is one of the reasons the Gaslight Anthem are miles ahead of most other bands!
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 12:41 pm

They've said in many interviews, if we play music and people like us- awesome, if they don't- that's okay too. One of the things that really gained my respect for them. They're not playing music with the mindset of playing what they think we want to hear- they're playing what they want to play and hoping for the best.
Back to top Go down
ksupilot
A Contender
A Contender

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 2:32 pm

Sounds like it is going to be interesting. Kind of vague to be forming opinions yet, as "rock sound" could mean anything.
Back to top Go down
manz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 12:43 am

apparently, they talk about what the sound for their new album will be like in this new interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojFMTPVpvU4

i must say i'm about to watch it for the first time myself, though.
Back to top Go down
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 10:08 am

TGA are more than capable of doing a full on, balls out rock record.
It is about time that angry Brian made a comeback (Red In The Morning is a prime example).
I am in support of any path they wish to take with their music. Whatever they do they seem to have a flair for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nomies_alien_lover
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 10:46 am

Brian said the next record is going to have a Elvis Costello/Social Distortion kinda vibe. Both artists are awesome, but can't really hear a connection between the two. I guess that's what he meant with rock.
I think it's going to sound a lot like Gaslight though. Like Wherefore Are Thou Elvis or something.
I mean they said The '59 Sound was going to be inspired by soul like Sam Cooke and Otis Redding and stuff. That album did sound a little soul inspired with the production, lyrical wise and maybe the song Miles Davis and The Cool, but it wasn't really soul either.
I am excited either way. I just don't hope they become boring and derivative, but those guys are very creative so it'll probably be amazing again.
Probably no reggae song though, sigh. But maybe there is hope because Elvis Costello had reggae songs.
Back to top Go down
manz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 1:58 pm

i can't honestly see TGA doing a reggae song. not to say it wouldn't be amazing.

i'm so excited about this record..it sucks that we still have to wait for so long.

ps: i just realized that link had already been posted. sorry about that.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 2:54 pm

I wish they would do a reggae song... all I listen to is, Punk, TGA and Reggae
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 3:07 pm

i could definitely see them doing an album in the vein of early '90s Social D
Back to top Go down
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 3:20 pm

That would personally make my year if that happened..
Seriously so excited for this new album now.... TGA are such teases with all their hints.
Not sure how the Elvis Costello would fit in.. unless Brian is thinking of investing in a pair of thick black-rimmed glasses. He might just be able to pull the look off....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nomies_alien_lover
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 6:20 pm

I can picture Brian doing something like this solo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WE46xGV9EU

Graham Parker - No Woman No Cry

btw: If you like Elvis Costello (and I'm meaning his early input) you should check out Graham Parkers first albums. Very similar to early Costello

Last edited by Prisoner on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rhg5010
A Contender
A Contender

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 11:14 pm

Now that you say that, I might just check out Graham Parker. I love early Costello, and Ted Leo recently covered the song Passion Is No Ordinary word by Graham Parker, and I liked it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/JabarPSU
manz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 3:29 pm

i can see Brian singing Ball and Chain or Bad Luck.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 4:18 pm

yeah, i think that would be some amazing stuff. all i've been rocking lately is the Social D's S/T and Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell albums. i just love the kinda bluesy, almost rockabilly stuff on those albums. if Gaslight pulled out something like that, it'd be sick
Back to top Go down
billy pilgrim
A Contender
A Contender
billy pilgrim

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 6:11 pm

e7c wrote:
I wish they would do a reggae song... all I listen to is, Punk, TGA and Reggae
You know, I read (or maybe heard?) somewhere that Brian is into trad and two-tone ska, I could see them covering a Toots and the Maytals song, or the Specials or something. And that would be badass.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 9:29 pm

Toots would be awesome! Reggae Got Soul is one of Monk-o-Tron's favorite songs
Back to top Go down
CABBAGEDoVD!
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
CABBAGEDoVD!

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 11:57 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
i'm pretty sure no one in Against Me! plays piano

tom's pretty good at piano.

i can see gaslight anthem incorporating some piano. but doesn't mean i expect it for the new album. i don't know what to expect but i'm excited for it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Album   New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Album
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next