DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]

Go down 
+88
rem999
Casey
HorribleCrowe
henn
Álvaro
StateOfMind
mja271
TGAFAN25
mvw
simo
big blue
marcsnitz
Lukazi
jensomniac
angryjohnny27
borrowedcar
thomas94
Brother Beck
brianisbae
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
33RPMHero
Hasler09
vamike
infoghost
aelliott88
White Man In Hammersmith
jonnyz83
Steve70s
23Punk
bt211
moosicmaniac
Unorthadox1080
ivienco
RobertODonnell
Shrewsbury_Stars
Boy From Little Eden
cmigs
Thunder Peel
Forum Owner
DeathoftheCool
Christophe
Keele
Vanderlyle Geek
The_River
flannel
miked331
Jerseyrain
tigerstrom29
CasanovaBaby90
gaslightfan89
No Retreat
ral
osumarko
steady now steady now
Andy_
Vibes
pleasepassthesoup
HolyBreakOfDay
Debonair
rumham
Prisoner
pepperedham
jzancan
bradleyjp
Hanswurst
Jack
CapedAvenger
NervousFeet
TooMuchGaslight
StitchesOnTheRadio
kappanera
riversedge
Harbortown
eagles1139
nebraska
The Last Jukebox Romeo
SirBrad
colmillionaire
bringiton_ty
bootime
Jaws
cdala
Erik Drost
njguy99
poormrpitiful
zerb012345
Halcyon
bringiton
92 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14
AuthorMessage
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 7:31 am

Christophe wrote:
I really hope they recorded a quality version of Halloween too. That song deserved a proper recording.

They did. I can't wait.
Back to top Go down
cdala
A Contender
A Contender
cdala

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 7:35 am

Keele wrote:
cdala wrote:
I actually think releasing songs beforehand can hurt more than help. I know I've cancelled a pre-order or 2 in the past based on those early songs.

It's not like they've been playing any of these songs live for a long time. It's all fresh material (the 3 songs) and they are quite different. I love the idea of getting multiple songs out. When the band is talking about a weird album and different approach, you don't want to scare people off. It's more if you like any of these, there's more you'll like on the album. I'd say for me Get Hurt, is my favourite, but Rollin and Tumblin has really stuck with me. Lots of plays on both. Stay Vicious is a little jarring at first a la Blue Dahlia for me, but the more familiar you are for the changes in the song the more you love it. Haven't listened to it too much, but even after the 5 or so listens i find my self anticipating the sha la la parts.

If you think 3 is too many you have the choice not to listen. There are 16 new songs though counting b sides. Plus we've had Halloween for a while.

I wasn't talking about TGA specifically, just that it has happened in the past that the songs released beforehand caused me to actually cancel pre-orders because the songs sucked basically. So releasing those songs is a double edged sword, it can make people Not buy the album as easily as it can make people buy the album.

I'm liking all 3 songs so far.

Also hoping for a quality recording of Halloween, such a good song.
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 12:21 pm

Halloween is supposed to have been re recorded for the deluxe. I agree, I can be a risky move for bands and labels. It may not have been necessary to release 3 singles before Handwritten, but with the way the band has talked about the album, I gotta say it was I don't think they'll regret.
Back to top Go down
The_M23
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 10:43 pm

pepperedham wrote:
A few of the reviews I've read seem to suffer from writers trying to flex their muscle in the "I think I'm funnier than I am" category. A lot of shots at Brian and the band's schtick have been a common theme in at least three of the reviews so far.
Curious, which reviews are out there? The Google machine isn't coming up with much of anything when I search for reviews.
Back to top Go down
pepperedham
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pepperedham

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 10:54 pm

The_M23 wrote:
pepperedham wrote:
A few of the reviews I've read seem to suffer from writers trying to flex their muscle in the "I think I'm funnier than I am" category. A lot of shots at Brian and the band's schtick have been a common theme in at least three of the reviews so far.
Curious, which reviews are out there? The Google machine isn't coming up with much of anything when I search for reviews.
There's a few posted in this thread: https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t5542-magazine-etc-reviews-ratings-of-get-hurt#179557
Back to top Go down
TooMuchGaslight
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
TooMuchGaslight

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 10:26 am

I don't know if this is already posted somewhere (Sorry if it is), but I found this on their site:

“Stray Paper” – which features impassioned backing vocals from the one and only Sharon Jones – provides what is perhaps the album’s most transcendent moment, its intricately orchestrated hooks and modernist dynamics unlike anything in The Gaslight Anthem’s remarkable canon. Rich with imagery and metaphorical flight, the song’s magic realism proved a revelatory mind blower for its creator.
“I had never written from that point of view,” Fallon says. “With ‘Stray Paper’ I feel that I touched something that I‘d like to continue through the rest of my career. I would like to continue down that path and find out what else is there.”

Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 12:47 pm

TooMuchGaslight wrote:
I don't know if this is already posted somewhere (Sorry if it is), but I found this on their site:

“Stray Paper” – which features impassioned backing vocals from the one and only Sharon Jones – provides what is perhaps the album’s most transcendent moment, its intricately orchestrated hooks and modernist dynamics unlike anything in The Gaslight Anthem’s remarkable canon. Rich with imagery and metaphorical flight, the song’s magic realism proved a revelatory mind blower for its creator.
“I had never written from that point of view,” Fallon says. “With ‘Stray Paper’ I feel that I touched something that I‘d like to continue through the rest of my career. I would like to continue down that path and find out what else is there.”

Well I haven't read that so cheers, sounds very interesting indeed...I really cannot wait for this now.

Also, nice little avatar you have going on there...although I do have to question why you went with this over one with Brian doing that hilarious wink in the video?
Back to top Go down
TooMuchGaslight
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
TooMuchGaslight

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks! Well I already saw someone with the wink, and I loved that the girl sings Baby Rollin' and Tumblin' in the end  Smile 

Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 2:34 pm

@gaslightanthem: Check out some photos from the @Spotify session. More videos & photos on the way. Maybe even an exclusive song too... http://t.co/QRlZZEACXk

According to the site, video drops in 3 days, Song in 10 days. So basically when the album comes out.
Back to top Go down
NervousFeet
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
NervousFeet

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 5:18 pm

The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:

Well I haven't read that so cheers, sounds very interesting indeed...I really cannot wait for this now.

Also, nice little avatar you have going on there...although I do have to question why you went with this over one with Brian doing that hilarious wink in the video?

This wink? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 6:44 pm

NervousFeet wrote:

This wink? Very Happy

I like your profile picture  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 9:15 pm

Has this leaked yet? Not asking for a link or anything like that (Probably wouldn't want to listen to it until the day its out anyway). Just curious to see how well they have kept the lid on it.
Back to top Go down
poormrpitiful
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
poormrpitiful

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 10:23 pm

gaslightfan89 wrote:
Has this leaked yet? Not asking for a link or anything like that (Probably wouldn't want to listen to it until the day its out anyway). Just curious to see how well they have kept the lid on it.

Nope not yet, atleast not in the places i usually check.
Back to top Go down
The_M23
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 3:42 am

I've had my ear close to the ground on this, and so far as I know, it has not appeared in the electronic ether as of yet. My guess is that one way or another, it's out there in the next four days. Either it leaks via Internet nerds, or it gets the streaming treatment and goes up on NPR (or wherever) on Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 7:35 am

NervousFeet wrote:
The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:

This wink? Very Happy

That's the one Smile
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 9:15 am

Debonair wrote:
@gaslightanthem: Check out some photos from the @Spotify session. More videos & photos on the way. Maybe even an exclusive song too... http://t.co/QRlZZEACXk

According to the site, video drops in 3 days, Song in 10 days. So basically when the album comes out.

So they mean...another NEW song? Like, we're getting 17 songs out of this?
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 10:42 am

Stream today or tomorrow?
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 11:25 am

zerb012345 wrote:

I always thought tomorrow would be likely!
Back to top Go down
kristyn
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kristyn

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:47 am

riversedge wrote:
zerb012345 wrote:

I always thought tomorrow would be likely!

I would be SO HAPPY if we got a stream today. Truly.
Very Happy Smile  santa rendeer
Back to top Go down
http://www.kristynchildres.com
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:51 am

If this album bombs, and it's a big if, I really hope the band goes back to albums with a theme. I feel like The 59' Sound was so successful because, when writing the album, the band had a theme and had a more narrow focus and didn't try to do something overly grand or try to diversify all the tracks. Don't get me wrong, I love every album they have put out, but this album is beginning to feel like they are trying to change their sound just for the sake of change. I'd prefer a consistent album that has some connecting factor between the songs, and I feel like Brian benefited from it as a songwriter. To each their own though.
Back to top Go down
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:18 am

Casey wrote:
If this album bombs, and it's a big if, I really hope the band goes back to albums with a theme. I feel like The 59' Sound was so successful because, when writing the album, the band had a theme and had a more narrow focus and didn't try to do something overly grand or try to diversify all the tracks. Don't get me wrong, I love every album they have put out, but this album is beginning to feel like they are trying to change their sound just for the sake of change. I'd prefer a consistent album that has some connecting factor between the songs, and I feel like Brian benefited from it as a songwriter. To each their own though.

Considering all three tracks released so far are pretty much about the same topic, I'd say it looks like there's a strong connecting factor between the songs at this point.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 4:26 am

Admin note: now that the album is streaming, please post all further comments on the album in the thread at

https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t5551p20-get-hurt-album-general-discussion-now-streaming
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]
Page 14 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14