DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]

Go down 
+88
rem999
Casey
HorribleCrowe
henn
Álvaro
StateOfMind
mja271
TGAFAN25
mvw
simo
big blue
marcsnitz
Lukazi
jensomniac
angryjohnny27
borrowedcar
thomas94
Brother Beck
brianisbae
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
33RPMHero
Hasler09
vamike
infoghost
aelliott88
White Man In Hammersmith
jonnyz83
Steve70s
23Punk
bt211
moosicmaniac
Unorthadox1080
ivienco
RobertODonnell
Shrewsbury_Stars
Boy From Little Eden
cmigs
Thunder Peel
Forum Owner
DeathoftheCool
Christophe
Keele
Vanderlyle Geek
The_River
flannel
miked331
Jerseyrain
tigerstrom29
CasanovaBaby90
gaslightfan89
No Retreat
ral
osumarko
steady now steady now
Andy_
Vibes
pleasepassthesoup
HolyBreakOfDay
Debonair
rumham
Prisoner
pepperedham
jzancan
bradleyjp
Hanswurst
Jack
CapedAvenger
NervousFeet
TooMuchGaslight
StitchesOnTheRadio
kappanera
riversedge
Harbortown
eagles1139
nebraska
The Last Jukebox Romeo
SirBrad
colmillionaire
bringiton_ty
bootime
Jaws
cdala
Erik Drost
njguy99
poormrpitiful
zerb012345
Halcyon
bringiton
92 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
kappanera
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kappanera

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 12:52 pm

The_River wrote:
TooMuchGaslight wrote:
@DannyDelDonuts, friend of the band and I think he's working behind the stage on tour too, has posted these two quotes

I'm pretty sure I've seen Danny sells their merch at shows.
He is the merch guy.Awesome person!
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 4:05 pm

Brian uses some words or themes pretty often. Kind of ties things together. Some that jump to mind are "the radio", "blood", "mama" and "Maria" which is sort of out of the mix now that Brian's lyrics are more personal and less story telling. I'm sure there are more. I kind of think it's cool and seems genuine. If that's how you speak and think, that's the words you should use in your lyrics. Obviously they are important.
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Keele wrote:
Brian uses some words or themes pretty often. Kind of ties things together. Some that jump to mind are "the radio", "blood", "mama" and "Maria" which is sort of out of the mix now that Brian's lyrics are more personal and less story telling. I'm sure there are more. I kind of think it's cool and seems genuine. If that's how you speak and think, that's the words you should use in your lyrics. Obviously they are important.

It's just part of his writing, a common vocabulary that links these songs. It's why even his side projects have a certain quality to them, because you can always tell a Brian Fallon song by its tone and language, no matter what instruments are used to accompany it. It's beautiful.

This is not just true of Brian... many great songwriters have it. Tell Adam Duritz some day to stop mentioning the rain.
Back to top Go down
henn
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 1:56 am

@23punk

i've been listening to Rise Against's Black Market and it's pretty good. I like the "old" stuff but i think it's better than Endgame. But for the first 3-4 times hearing the Songs, i think there are less "hook"-lines and sing-a-longs ... but besides Gassy, Rise Against is my most favorite Band, so yeah, it's a good record .... looking forward to get hurt. The title track is so good. I like the smooth songs becuase of Fallons damn good voice, but also singing to songs like howl Smile
Back to top Go down
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 1:44 am

I wouldn't have fallen in love with TGA if it weren't for them touring with Rise Against in 2008. The new Rise Against album does sound better than Endgame so far, but I'm sorta over their music now.

Another new record that is coming out is by a great Canadian band called Arkells. I'm not sure how big they are South of the border but they're probably my second favourite band behind TGA. If you haven't heard any of their stuff, check them out. Their new record is due the first week of August.
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 5:21 am

AbsolutePunk.net has an 1h45m podcast discussing the album, for those interested. Don't know if I'm allowed to link it with the embargo and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 7:33 am

Barresi wrote:
AbsolutePunk.net has an 1h45m podcast discussing the album, for those interested. Don't know if I'm allowed to link it with the embargo and whatnot.

Yeah I saw that...don't know whether to play it though. Does it take away a lot of the surprise and mystery from the album as I read they do a track-by-track run through etc?
Back to top Go down
Vanderlyle Geek
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Vanderlyle Geek

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 8:51 am

The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:
Barresi wrote:

Yeah I saw that...don't know whether to play it though. Does it take away a lot of the surprise and mystery from the album as I read they do a track-by-track run through etc?

yeah they do first impressions and a track by track review
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 10:13 am

Barresi wrote:

If it's put out by a source that reviews music through a domain intended to reach an audience, I don't see why not.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 11:02 am

I started listening to that podcast a bit and got through the track by track reviews of the first few tunes and then turned it off. It's decent discussion but since I haven't heard any of it, I don't really want to get preconceived notions based on what somebody else thinks before I've even given the album a fair listen. Especially since Jason said he's listened to it about 30 times already. It's definitely a case of them being fans who are at a point where they've listened a lot and when that happens your opinions always tend to shift on certain songs, themes, or albums as a whole. So I'll wait until I get a full listen and then revist this pod.
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 11:03 am

http://entertainment.ca.msn.com/music/video/exclusives.aspx?videoid=3eaf27d2-28c0-4c76-8bbd-ba286a6896db
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 12:08 pm

YO can we get all the fucking Rise Against shit out of this thread?

Go post that in the forum devoted to it.

I'm here to read about Get Hurt, don't like Rise Against and couldn't give less of a fuck about their sound or newest record.

THanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 12:30 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
YO can we get all the fucking Rise Against shit out of this thread?

Go post that in the forum devoted to it.

I'm here to read about Get Hurt, don't like Rise Against and couldn't give less of a fuck about their sound or newest record.

THanks Smile

Back to top Go down
jonnyz83
A Contender
A Contender
jonnyz83

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 12:37 pm

Pretty sure he meant to post this video of the Fallon interview:

http://entertainment.ca.msn.com/music/video/exclusives.aspx?videoid=9eab1d4e-5d07-441f-987b-57aaa57afde1&src=v5:share:sharepermalink:uuids&from=sharepermalink
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Like that interview, the secrecy of the album is making me even more excited
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Also, i'm 8 mins into the podcast and i literally don't think i can stand their accents much longer.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Yea the voices were pretty brutal. Jason is alright, but the other two definitely weren't made for radio lol
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 4:07 pm

Haha kind of looks like Brian is packing a dip.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 4:20 pm

They don't actually sound too positive about the record. I mean, i get they've listened to it for while now so some of their enthusiasm has dipped but they don't sound too gushing... the lyrics they've mentioned sound awesome though.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 4:48 pm

Good podcast. Not gonna be discouraged by the negative things they say about a few tracks because they love Handwritten unabashedly and think Desire is great song....so I'm not exactly coming from the same place as a Gaslight listener.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 4:52 pm

soon!
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 6:05 pm

So anyone think the release show is coming? It seems awfully close to the record release for one not to be announced yet. I mean, yes, they could announce it a few days before and it would probably sell out. But handwritten's release show was definitely announced over a month before.
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 7:11 pm

riversedge wrote:
They don't actually sound too positive about the record. I mean, i get they've listened to it for while now so some of their enthusiasm has dipped but they don't sound too gushing... the lyrics they've mentioned sound awesome though.

I'm not too worried because of this. It sounds like, other than a few corny lines, their main issues were songs' placement within the album, and how well the album "flows". At the end of the day, I just want some good songs and lyrics, and these just sound like Professional Music Critic Problems.
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 11:11 pm

Jason used to do interesting write up "first impression" sort of reviews. I attempted to listen to a podcast once and turned it off after about two minutes. It feels amateur. Wish he'd return to written work because it translates better. And as for a critical tone, critics are meant to be critical. Relevance by saying what could be better, without doing it themselves. These guys are music fans first, maybe looking to have a critics comments on an album. Album flow and track sequencing is a solvable issue this day and age with digital.

As for Brian's MSN interview, it was awkward and classic Brian which I love. He's so passionate and such a music fan himself he bypasses the opportunity to self promote out of respect for us. How rare is that. Love hearing interviews with Brian. Down to earth and just a guy who loves what he's doing. I don't usually listen to interviews, but Brian, Frank turner, Kevin Devine, Tim from Rise Against, and the lead singer of Billy Talent are always good interviews. Hope to hear more from Brian when the album comes out.

It will be awesome.
Back to top Go down
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mike_Millburys_Shoe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:42 am

I laughed way too hard at the Sheryl Crowe story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]   'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August] - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' - the new Gaslight Anthem album (advance discussion) [out 11/12 August]
Page 12 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next