DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'

Go down 
+31
enola
Prisoner
ral
mingus
MKULTRA
RobertODonnell
Harbortown
bringiton_ty
NeverTrustAJunkie
JimmyB
ivienco
zerb012345
The_M23
magnificentdreamer
Jaws
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
pepperedham
njguy99
mja271
angryjohnny27
DeathoftheCool
jzancan
riversedge
eagles1139
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
Yozzy
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Hanswurst
The_River
The Last Jukebox Romeo
steady now steady now
35 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Empty
PostSubject: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 2:00 pm

I saw the following magazine reviews/ratings of Get Hurt today:

Q: 2/5 ("Get Hurt is neither weird nor, unfortunately, wonderful")

Uncut: 6/10 ("Fallon and co's disappointing fifth")

Mojo: 3/5 ("Get Hurt hardly veers from the Anthem's first-pumping blueprint")

Please add reviews/ratings you come across (other than on personal blogs).

(There is a chance I may have assigned the reviews to the wrong mags, i.e. got them mixed up; if so, let me know.)

Q
magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Q-rev-2014

Uncut
magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Uncut-rev-2014

Mojo
magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Mojo-rev-2014

Last edited by steady now steady now on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Hmmmm those reviews don't look too promising.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 2:14 pm

The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:

They are professional reviews. The people who write them may not even like the band, and they usually need to have an angle. Also, just look at the range of opinions on here about the three songs released so far.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 2:27 pm

steady now steady now wrote:

They are professional reviews.  The people who write them may not even like the band, and they usually need to have an angle.  Also, just look at the range of opinions on here about the three songs released so far.

Oh yeah I completely understand that, it's not like I'm not going to buy the record now...I'll probably love it! But when the first 3 reviews you see aren't that favourable you can't exactly react like "sweet, this just makes me want to hear it even more!"
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 2:27 pm

They are professional reviews.  The people who write them may not even like the band, and they usually need to have an angle.  Also, just look at the range of opinions on here about the three songs released so far.

Oh yeah I completely understand that, it's not like I'm not going to buy the record now...I'll probably love it! But when the first 3 reviews you see aren't that favourable you can't exactly react like "sweet, this just makes me want to hear it even more!"

I've now added pics of those three reviews (though I may have assigned them to the wrong mags).
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 2:46 pm

If the press hates it, it's probably a masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 2:50 pm

see where you're coming from - but i remember that nearly every review i saw before the release of Handwritten gave this record something around a 4/5. So this pumped my expectations into unhealthy highs untill i thought Handwritten had to be a masterpiece. Which it wasn't so i was let down just because those great reviews had been... well... too great.

So i'm happy with some bad reviews to start with and than be surprised by how good the record actually is. Smile
Back to top Go down
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 3:00 pm

Oof.
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 4:21 pm

lol gaslight sucks
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 6:14 pm

Pretty much everything I didn't wanna hear about this record.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 6:27 pm

It sounds like the Uncut reviewer has a problem with Fallon.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 6:29 pm

This makes me want the album more for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Get Hurt - Reviews   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 4:01 pm

So heres the review of plattentests.de - a leading german record-review-website.

They gave it a 5/10

http://www.plattentests.de/rezi.php?show=11447

i may see if i can translate it but a few points they talk about are:

- "Underneath the ground" uses Autotune, Synthie- and vibraphone-tones

- there are (too) many "really big sounding" guitars

- All in all its cheesy and just totally misses the positive vibe gaslight where famous for on 59s

- they sum it up with these words: "sink or swim - this was the title of gaslights first LP. Now its over, they sink."

so yeaah with now a review-site i respect for a really good and fair taste in music talking this album down i expect the worst  Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 4:42 pm

Hanswurst wrote:

- there are (too) many "really big sounding" guitars

No such thing.

Hanswurst wrote:

- All in all its cheesy and just totally misses the positive vibe gaslight where famous for on 59s

Might be cheesy (I don't know yet, but so far, not based on what I've heard), but I'm not too concerned with it missing a positive vibe.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 5:07 pm

this album's gonna kick some ass. the fact that people are disappointed it's not like the 59 sound makes me excited. finally something a little different
Back to top Go down
angryjohnny27
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
angryjohnny27

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 5:23 pm

http://www.rollingstone.de/reviews/alben/article614278/the-gaslight-anthem-get-hurt.html

3/5 ("Once again too much Springsteen and too little hardrock")
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 6:37 pm

Gaslight Anthem has made more than enough "Gaslight Anthem" songs. I'm excited that this won't necessarily be the same old, same old. That material is and will always be amazing, but if they just kept churning out more songs in the same vain, people would lose interest. I'm very excited to hear this album, and even if it doesn't succeed in all aspects, I'm glad that they seem to have stepped out of their comfort zone.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 9:10 pm

Brutalized by Slant:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review/the-gaslight-anthem-get-hurt

1.5 / 5

("a shockingly misguided assemblage of over-processed hair-metal guitars, '80s adult-contemporary keyboard swill, and hilariously overblown skullduggery")
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Don't ever let a "reviewer" tell you what to think. And I agree with mja -- great artists try new things, even if they don't always succeed. Just a few more days and we can all make up our own minds.
Back to top Go down
pepperedham
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pepperedham

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 9:28 pm

A few of the reviews I've read seem to suffer from writers trying to flex their muscle in the "I think I'm funnier than I am" category. A lot of shots at Brian and the band's schtick have been a common theme in at least three of the reviews so far.
Back to top Go down
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mike_Millburys_Shoe

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 10:08 pm

Holy shit. That Slant article is painful to read. I know the guys have tried to make it abundantly clear that they don't care what anyone thinks about this album, but reading review after review like that has to be rough.

That being said, the dude who wrote the Slant article called Stray Paper "Stray Prayer," so yeah. Grain of salt.
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: temp   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 11:04 pm

Man, it's really not getting any love so far.
Back to top Go down
magnificentdreamer
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
magnificentdreamer

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 1:53 am

While the bad reviews are a bit disheartening to read, I'm not too worried. A lot of the same magazines that are trashing Get Hurt (Q, Mojo, Spin) also trashed Handwritten when it came out, and for a lot of the same reasons (the Spin review of Handwritten called Brian "a jerk who flaunts his supposedly raw intensity with a kind of emotional snobbery"...whatever that's supposed to mean). I can understand that some people just don't like Gaslight and that's fine, but I don't get why some of these "reviewers" have a personal vendetta against Brian. He seems like a really cool dude. What did he ever do to them?!
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 10:37 am

'...Fallon sings, "You better tell nobody but God all the things I've seen," on the particularly Bon Jovi-esque "Stray Paper," he sounds less like he's talking about sin and pain than H&M overcharging him for a leather jacket.'

This is a cringe worthy attempt at humour, I feel embarrassed for the reviewer myself. The Slant article goes into no depth whatsoever with the record and obviously he/she already had preconceived negative notions about the band and Brian before he/she sat at their Macbook to draft it. It is really easy to label Brian and the band's song-writing as schmaltzy or whiny or over-indulgent emotionally, but this is the kind of personal and often dark music that they were brought up on. The world would be a pretty fucking dreadful place if nobody sung about heartbreak no more. Fuck Slant, don't listen to a word they tell ya until it hits your ears itself.
Back to top Go down
The_M23
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 12:39 pm

magnificentdreamer wrote:
While the bad reviews are a bit disheartening to read, I'm not too worried.  A lot of the same magazines that are trashing Get Hurt (Q, Mojo, Spin) also trashed Handwritten when it came out, and for a lot of the same reasons (the Spin review of Handwritten called Brian "a jerk who flaunts his supposedly raw intensity with a kind of emotional snobbery"...whatever that's supposed to mean).  I can understand that some people just don't like Gaslight and that's fine, but I don't get why some of these "reviewers" have a personal vendetta against Brian.  He seems like a really cool dude. What did he ever do to them?!
I reread that review just to see what you were referring to and Harris isn't knocking Fallon. He's talking about the narrator in "45" who sings high school angst lines like "Have you seen my heart? Have you seen how it bleeds?"

Let's not get too paranoid. Negative reviews suck, but these reviewers aren't thinking about Gaslight or listening to Gaslight on a normal basis. There aren't any vendettas here. They're just reviewing the records as they get them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next