DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Next single from Handwritten

Go down 
+15
AudreyHepburnPearls
DeathoftheCool
TGAFAN25
njguy99
Labhras
moosicmaniac
brianisbae
StitchesOnTheRadio
nebraska
CluckyB
plugga
The Angry Johnny Revue
Holland
Christophe
Xanthias
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 1:48 pm

I think they would play it but Keepsake is probably a better bet for the next one i agree.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 6:29 pm

I'd like to see Handwritten or Mae, or even Mullholland Drive. Actually, I'd LOVE to see National Anthem (never underestimate a good acoustic song as a single).

Keepsake's been getting a lot of love on this thread (as well as the rest of the forum). I must be missing something, because I think the song's just so utterly terrible. The lead riff is awesome, but I hate the vocal melody and lyrics, and of all the places to put a harmonica, they do it during THAT guitar riff? One of the absolute strongest riffs Rosamalia's written, and they jumble it with harmonica? It's the only Gaslight song I can't stand to listen to. I've tried to listen to it straight all the way through, and I just can't. It's not that I even turn the song off (although I just skip it now) My mind just wanders. It's like I get 45 seconds in, tune out, then Too Much Blood comes on and I immediately start paying attention again.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 6:57 pm

jzancan wrote:
I'd like to see Handwritten or Mae, or even Mullholland Drive. Actually, I'd LOVE to see National Anthem (never underestimate a good acoustic song as a single).

Keepsake's been getting a lot of love on this thread (as well as the rest of the forum). I must be missing something, because I think the song's just so utterly terrible. The lead riff is awesome, but I hate the vocal melody and lyrics, and of all the places to put a harmonica, they do it during THAT guitar riff? One of the absolute strongest riffs Rosamalia's written, and they jumble it with harmonica? It's the only Gaslight song I can't stand to listen to. I've tried to listen to it straight all the way through, and I just can't. It's not that I even turn the song off (although I just skip it now) My mind just wanders. It's like I get 45 seconds in, tune out, then Too Much Blood comes on and I immediately start paying attention again.

A feel the same way about 45 but that got made a single. Keepsake has a big singalong chorus, it'd do well commercially.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 6:58 pm

jzancan wrote:

I agree the vocal structure is a little off... but hate the lyrics? really? If you ask me its exactly what super personal lyrics *should* be. Miles better than something like Too Much Blood.

(That being said, it would make a terrible single. It isn't catchy at all, its just a gut punch of emotion)
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 7:14 pm

I understand people loving Keepsake, I'm pretty fond of it myself, but I agree with CluckyB. It's not catchy enough and it's "just a gut punch of emotion".

I'm gonna put a wild thought out here. Maybe they're not going to do another single?
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 7:17 pm

if it's not already for sure handwritten, i could definitely see biloxi or mulholland on the radio
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:08 pm

IT'S HERE COMES MY MAN!! farao
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:10 pm

So it is! Smile
Back to top Go down
Xanthias
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Xanthias

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:31 pm

So it's Here Comes my Man. I bet that if they make a great video and do the right marketing, it could peak even higher than 45. Anyone as optimistic?

Why so enthusiastic? The song is catchy, with the oh shalala thing, but also has well written lyrics, that will draw attention from the female audience; nevertheless, I can't help but imagine it in any TV series in a climatic moment. Also, we should look at the Youtube's views count. Out of the Handwritten songs, '45 has reached 1.000.000 views (cheers on that!), Handwritten (with a video) is on 500.000, while Here Comes My Man, live from Letterman (!) is on 120.000, the third highest figure, excluding Biloxi Parish, but, well, that video has been online for over a year, while HCMM was released merely a month ago.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:48 pm

It's a brilliant song and could get a lot of play. But people who pick up the album are going to be surprised that the rest of the songs aren't like it...
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Xanthias wrote:
So it's Here Comes my Man. I bet that if they make a great video and do the right marketing, it could peak even higher than 45. Anyone as optimistic?

Why so enthusiastic? The song is catchy, with the oh shalala thing, but also has well written lyrics, that will draw attention from the female audience; nevertheless, I can't help but imagine it in any TV series in a climatic moment. Also, we should look at the Youtube's views count. Out of the Handwritten songs, '45 has reached 1.000.000 views (cheers on that!), Handwritten (with a video) is on 500.000, while Here Comes My Man, live from Letterman (!) is on 120.000, the third highest figure, excluding Biloxi Parish, but, well, that video has been online for over a year, while HCMM was released merely a month ago.

I agree but I'm VERY curious as to the reaction people will have to this song (as in, people who've never heard of these guys).

and yeah what njguy99 said. Forget the album, none of their songs are like it.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 11:56 am

CluckyB wrote:
jzancan wrote:

I agree the vocal structure is a little off... but hate the lyrics? really? If you ask me its exactly what super personal lyrics *should* be. Miles better than something like Too Much Blood.

(That being said, it would make a terrible single. It isn't catchy at all, its just a gut punch of emotion)

I've never really gotten what people mean by "personal" lyrics. It's a buzzword. Other than the fact that people who have been following the band for a while know little soundbytes Brian Fallon's given about his biological dad, what makes lyrics "personal" in a way that enhances quality? Katie Perry's lyrics are "personal" if she actually went to California with somebody, got drunk on the beach, got a hotel, and made a fort out of sheets, but does that make them any better or worse? I always hear things like "most personal lyrics yet" in reviews and interviews. "Personal" doesn't save lyrics from being "bland," and while I know I'm in the minority, to me Keepsake is just lyrically boring.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 11:59 am

I agree with what shelby said earlier in this thread. Its a great song but any mates who hear it im gonna have a hard time explaining what it is and that Brian is not gay haha. Be interesting to see how the video turns out!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 3:00 pm

Chuffed they've picked HCMM. Easily my favourite track on the album, and i can see it challenging for being my favourite of all of theirs soon. More importantly, i loved it within a few plays, and that's what you want from a single.

I can't see it doing much in the UK, unfortunately. According to Wikipedia, "45" made #75, so i doubt HCMM will go top 40 unless a big DJ on a mainstream station picks up on it and plugs the crap out of it.

Nonetheless, it'll be nice to see a video for it. Smile
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 3:09 pm

radio 1 and nation radio gave 45 alot of airtime but didnt do much unfortunately
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 3:31 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
I agree with what shelby said earlier in this thread. Its a great song but any mates who hear it im gonna have a hard time explaining what it is and that Brian is not gay haha. Be interesting to see how the video turns out!

Maybe they'll get him confused with Laura Jane Grace...it's already happened once on twitter.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 3:38 pm

what!!!?? really lol? some people Frying Pan
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 3:51 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
what!!!?? really lol? some people Frying Pan

i think it was some kind of journalist too. Or a NY radio show? idk but it wasn't some random person and Brian commented on it saying "wrong band, try Against Me"
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 3:55 pm

hahaha gonna look for that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next single from Handwritten
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2