DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Next single from Handwritten

Go down 
+15
AudreyHepburnPearls
DeathoftheCool
TGAFAN25
njguy99
Labhras
moosicmaniac
brianisbae
StitchesOnTheRadio
nebraska
CluckyB
plugga
The Angry Johnny Revue
Holland
Christophe
Xanthias
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Xanthias
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Xanthias

Next single from Handwritten Empty
PostSubject: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 8:45 pm

It's been almost 2 months since '45 was released, so I guess it's about time for a new single to be released. In fact, does anyone know what they're waiting for?

What would be your pick? I'd go with Here Comes my Man, it fits perfectly as a "summer ending" song, and also is pretty catch and has pretty strong lyrics. I'd be happy with one of the three slower tempos Keepsake, Too Much Blood or Mae. Blue Dahlia would also be good, but it's a shame it's only a bonus track. I just strongly hope they avoid Desire and Biloxi Parish.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 8:58 pm

I personally think Mulholland Drive would be a great next single.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:32 pm

I think it will be Handwritten, I heard it on the radio the other day, and they have the video.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:33 pm

Holland wrote:
I think it will be Handwritten, I heard it on the radio the other day, and they have the video.

I think Handwritten has already been released as a UK single hasn't it? For some reason it wasn't released as a single in America I think.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:36 pm

Christophe wrote:
Holland wrote:

I think Handwritten has already been released as a UK single hasn't it? For some reason it wasn't released as a single in America I think.

I don't know actually, if it has then I would like to see Mae or Keepsake released next.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:42 pm

From a commercial perspective I think Desire and Keepsake would do well on the charts.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:44 pm

technically I think we need a "sad" song now.. maybe keepsake?
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 12:12 am

Ideally Blue Dahlia or Mae. Both of which I think could work as singles. But they aren't gonna put a non-album song as a single, and doubt they'd pick Mae...

But probably it'll be HCMM or Handwritten and they'll probably wind up peaking somewhere lower than 45 did.
Back to top Go down
nebraska
A Contender
A Contender
nebraska

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 12:23 am

murrrrrllllholland drive
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 6:37 am

I don't think it'll be Handwritten because when it came out as a UK single I remember them saying it wouldn't be the US single.

I think these 3 are the best options:

Blue Dahlia - Obvious choice (IMO) but no go because it's a bonus track.
Mulholland Drive - best shot, it's catchy, summery, intense, fun.
Biloxi Parish - Honestly, I could see this one catching on because it's impossible not to move to this song.

These 2 maybe:

Mae- Smooth and beautiful and very opposite 45 but maybe not catchy enough.
HCMM - very catchy but I think it gives a very distorted impression of who this band is. To me this is their "least like TGA" song. Also I feel like the "girls perspective thing" could confuse new listeners. I'm picturing having to explain to a bunch of new fans that Brian's not gay, haha.
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 11:05 am

I think Mae would be the best pick. It would show the world a different side of the band since most of their singles have been rockers. It also has a nice late summer/fall vibe (to me), and is just an overall beautiful song. Mulholland Drive would be great too. I see it as a fall song as well and has a great sound that anyone could like. Howl too. It's fun, fast, and catchy. If they made a video for it I could see it being played on MTVu all the time and get heavy play on Alt Nation. Actually, maybe this would be the best one. Maybe do Howl now and Mae in October or something.
Back to top Go down
moosicmaniac
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 11:08 am

right when the album came out I thought that Mae had to be a single at some point. if they play their marketing cards right, it could be huge.
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 1:03 pm

moosicmaniac wrote:
right when the album came out I thought that Mae had to be a single at some point. if they play their marketing cards right, it could be huge.

Agreed. There's something special about that one.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 2:54 pm

keepsake
mulholland drive
too much blood

they should be the singles cus they're different. handwritten, 45, mae, blue dahlia... they're not as well crafted and they don't show how the band has move forward, which is really what a single should do; show the world where you are now.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 7:16 pm

I've been thinking about this for a few days, and honestly I think it will be Desire. It's the most "radio friendly" of the songs left. It's short, it has an upbeat sound, it's easily understandable, it has a love-loss-redemption theme that fits with the sound that's pretty predominant right now.

Keepsake would be an interesting choice, but to my mind it's too "grungy" and too much of a flashback. I could see a radio programmer saying "If I wanted to play Pearl Jam, I'd play Pearl Jam."

And while I'd love for Mae to be the single I, honestly, think it's too slow and too long for most mainstream alternative stations. A truly beautiful song, but it's not representative of the album as a whole.

Mae clocks in at 4:07. Keepsake is 4:02. Too Much Blood is 5:07. 3:30 is the sweet spot for radio play - and at 3:15 Desire is just about perfect length-wise.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 12:04 am

^^you're right but I hope it's not Desire. I like that song but if I was a non-fan listening to the radio and came across that song, it wouldn't stick with me. Mulholland I think could get away with it. It's a little under 4 minutes and it doesn't have the "how long has this song been going on for?" feel to it.

There's several songs on this album that I feel like as a single, they'd work but send people in the wrong direction. They work as an album, and they work for long time fans, but as singles they don't encapsulate the TGA sound.

Does anyone know how long they waited between the singles they released on previous albums?
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 2:49 pm

I'd love to see Keepsake as a single.... The chorus is great!

To be honest though, I'm not really sure there is a single outside of "45" on the record... I don't really see anythign sticking on major radio...

having said that, I'd have never thought a lot of the shit we hear on teh radio these days woudl've ever made it, so who really knows?
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 3:36 pm

i reckon if they make a video for it it's going to be a single qed handwritten is next.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 3:47 pm

i feel like some of us here are downplaying the impact the album has made. 45 at least is in regular rotation on the local alternative station and now a ton of people i know are familiar with the song compared to before.
so as for whether or not they've "broken through" i think they're having more success than we give them credit for
Back to top Go down
AudreyHepburnPearls
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
AudreyHepburnPearls

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 11:46 pm

Hopefully Mae, but if I was to bet on it I'd say Desire or Here Comes My Man.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 5:07 am

AudreyHepburnPearls wrote:
Hopefully Mae, but if I was to bet on it I'd say Desire or Here Comes My Man.

for being a man, you have a very womanly name
Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 9:00 am

im glad the only radio i listen to is classic rock radio. i hardly ever know what is "in" with popular music outside of the bands i love unless a friend (or punknews.org) points it out to me.
Back to top Go down
rsi1991
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
rsi1991

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 1:27 pm

I love howl but I think its way to short to be played on the radio so I would say Keepsake would be the next one.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/AsWeGetOlder
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 1:42 pm

Too short to be played on the radio? Surely that does not exist.
Back to top Go down
rsi1991
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
rsi1991

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 1:46 pm

I mean I would really hope they would play it because its a great song but I don't think I've ever really heard a 2 minute song on the radio, but who knows its not against the law or anything lol.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/AsWeGetOlder
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next single from Handwritten   Next single from Handwritten Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next single from Handwritten
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next